Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

ENVY

From the Seven Deadly Sins collection...

Green herbs slithering through mint, lime and lavender.

Envy...a very green (with envy) scent, makes me covet everything that isn't mine.

*edited to add the official BPAL description*

Sparklingly herbal, Envy's a scent I'll be purchasing. The mint really jumps out in the first minute or two, with the limes crisp and right alongside.

Give it a few minutes, though, and you'll get a complexity you wouldn't imagine could come from four main components. If you ever had to weed you mother's flowerbeds as a kid, you know the scent of grass and plants ripped from the ground and crushed in your hand - take that scent, add quick grating of lime zest, and only a hint of lavender to get an idea about Envy. The mint's still around, but recedes into the blend rather than staying on top.

This one's very bright to me - it glitters in my nose, like beads of water on those flowers I had to weed around, shining in the sun.

Bright, crisp, green scent... I couldnt help but remember when i was young playing in the front lawn rolling around in the high grass (dad always hated mowing). Not a freshly cut grass but like a handful of grass mixed with other random plants... I love this one.

The mint really jumps out at first indeed.. After a while it fades to the background a bit mre, and it turns into a green floral. I swear I can smell white flowers as well, or that could be just my nose? Very nice.

After wearing: O My god. I now have this all over instead of a tiny spot on my wrist, and it's amazing. It is fresh, but not a bright fresh, it's far more bitter. As for the concept captured in a bottle -brilliant.

Edited by Tesseljoan

On first application, it is a bright sharp mint and astringent lavender, which turns slightly gritty and as the scent elapses. Upon drydown, it is the scent of a sweet mint leaf, placed on warmed earth.

In the bottle: kind of medicinal.

On me: immediately, still a bit medicinal.

After awhile: Wow! :P I love this. This is what I want my whole house to smell like. It's green, fresh, herbal, minty, fabulous. I think I'll have to use some of this in a burner in my bathroom for a real spa-feel. But I think a bottle of this will have to be my summer scent, because it's light and cooling and refreshing. I can't stop smelling my wrist. Not overshelmingly girly. A guy could get away with wearing this.

I find this a sharp green scent. I can't pick out the mint (which is a good thing as I don't really like obvious minty scents) but the lime, lavender and herbs are definitely there. I love using this after the gym as it's a clean scent but with more of a bite than the other green scents I've tried. It lasted all day on me. I agree with jj_j about the flowerbeds! I'd love a bottle of this, the concept is brilliant :P

First sniff: Envy is an herb garden where mint and basil grow intertwined, both intensely green. It’s as if someone picked a few leaves from each and bruised them in his hand – the scent is very wet and a bit rumpled like crushed leaves.

Wearing: The dark green herbs are predominant, and I can’t smell the mint so much as feel it as a breath of cool air swirling over the top of the greenery. I think my skin sucked it up immediately – I can’t smell an aura at all, just when I put my nose right against my wrist. It doesn’t resonate in the “fresh and clean” category like so many greens do – it’s more of a natural scent, and by that I mean nature-y, like bright green grass and dark green herbs and walking through the garden barefoot. (Can you tell from this and Morella that’s something I like to do? :P) Turned soapy on me after about half an hour, goshdarnit.

I'm not alone! This one also turned soapy on me, but not unpleasantly so, like say with Lightning.

This scent is green. The very embodiment of it. While I can't smell the lime at all (which is good, cause I think they smell like salt) or the lavender (also a good thing), the vague mint and the herbs were divine.

The mint is not a peppermint at all. It's very soft, more like spearmint gum that's lost it's flavor a bit. Not overpowering at all. I shouldn't think it would blend well with other herbs, but it really does. I can't pick out what they are, but just fresh and green. Eventually it did turn a bit soapy, but like I said, it wasn't gross, just clean.

ADDED Oct. 10:

So, I reviewed this one 6 months ago, but I decided to post a second review.

While I really, really liked the scent the first time I tried it, it completely took over.

I've since discovered that mint loves me, and limes smell like socks. I like it less, now, but that's a personal problem.

More importantly, even without leaking, it gets everywhere. It took over everything, and I'm so happy to pass it along to another home.

Edited by Shollin

This is so wonderful! I didn't even think it was one I wanted, but now that I've gotten it in a swap it is one of my all time favorites! Even crisper and cleaner than you can imagine, with the lavender and the spearmint equally balanced and smelling like some kind of million dollar shower gel... I will be wearing this one at night to have calm, tranquil, clean dreams, and in the morning to wake up refreshed! Wow, this is absolutely beautiful in a completely clean-scrubbed, unfussy way. I would really, really recommend it to anyone who likes mint and anyone who is looking for non-girly scents that are a bit lighter. Sooooooo fresh!

Initial sniff: The mint is very apparent in the bottle, but I can also smell the lavender and a green, herby, grassy scent. I think the lime is what makes this scent so bright, even though i can't smell it. My color association with this one: bright lime green.

Wearing: I wouldn't describe this as fresh, instead I would call it refreshing. When wet it is very minty, but the drydown is a very refreshing bright green. This is the smell of an unusually cool breeze though your green lawn on a hot sunny day.

Final Thoughts: I am amazed at how much I like this scent. I am not a fan of scents that can be described as "cool" or "fresh" or "clean" - they are just not my style. I NEED a bigger bottle of this to face the hot humid Georgia summer ahead.

In the bottle: Sharp and herbal.

On, wet: like weeding the herb section of the garden without the soil. Minty, green, biting. It's a little tingly on my skin, actually.

Dry: Very clean. It doesn't last on me, unfortunately. This will be a wonderful summer scent for when I'm overheated and not feeling particularly girly.

I might have to get a bottle of this.

First Impression: Oh yes, green with Envy.

Second Impression: That mint is perfect, like spearmint that grows wild and will take over your garden. Too bad the mint not lacks the tenacity of its wild counterpart.

Final Analysis: An exhilarating scent, cooling and refreshing. On a hot, humid Georgia day (like today) this will be sweet relief. Envy will be great as a personal scent and for the home.

I feel I have a light green glittery aura about me when I wear Envy. At first it’s quite herbal and medicinal, but not so much you think you’re wearing a healing salve. With a good deep sniff, I can just about distinguish each scent, though the lime seems to be there just in a small measure. I’m not sure what the green herbs are, but they remind me a little of tomato vine. It’s a different story with my man…his first response was that it was very floral, he thought he could smell roses! He also said it smelt sexy which surprised me, I guess because when I smell it up close, Envy reminds me of being a youngster. I couldn’t think of what part until I read other reviews, but yup, possibly sitting in the sun with mum while she was pulling plants or herbs out of their pots and smelling them all mingled in your hand. And there is that touch of earth that comes out with the roots…somewhat like the bitterness that simmers within envy, but it never overpowers the scent, it remains light and bright and it really does glitter! It’s a bit too green for me, but it is nice and well blended. It would make a very refreshing home scent too!

Edited by ViolentKitten

This one is moving slowly but surely to the top of my favorite list ( like it's envying the other scents on that list :P )

On me it's a toothpast like mint wich reminds me a lot of a game we did as child. We filled plastic fridge bags with toothpaste and shampoo and sqeezed it all day long. The way my hands smell that time is exactly how Envy smells.

I do not get the lime at all.

It's calming and keeps me fresh on warm days

FIRST SNIFF: minty herbs

WEARING IT: this is a really cool scent. unfortunately it didn't last long on me at all :D the herbs and mint are definitely in the foreground with a gentle sweetness on the dry down that doesn't really smell like lavender, but some other sweet flowers.

VERDICT: i'll use my imp - it's nice on a cool day :P

*Sob*

On me this smells exactly like turpentine...

I will give Envy a second chance later in the week in case it was just my chemistry acting up. For now I think I will have to go take a shower because I smell like an old paintbrush... A shame, really, because it was lovely in the vial.

This is very light yellow green and sparkling. It's definitely irridecent. It's grassy, minty, herby and crisp. This is a fabulous hot weather scent, definitely refreshing. :P

In the Bottle and Wet: Fresh, cool, lovely. The mint and lime are certainly present in the wet stage.

Dry: The lavender reigns supreme once more! :P Now, if you like lavender, this will be great on you. Personally, I don't like lavender as a perfume. In bath products, Envy would be amazing. Envigorating and refreshing, it really is lovely.

(I'm not overwhelmed with covetousness, but maybe that will come later.)

This is a really nice fresh scent! I'm not much of a "mint" person, but the other components of this scent, namely the lavender, temper the mint a great deal. The sharpness fades on the drydown and my husband says it smells like I just walked under a lime tree. He's right, on me, it smells like a lime tree with a soft "tone." Lovely! There's the faintest hint of sweetness, barely there. It's perfect for this very hot day. I like this - my very first BPAL to try. (Thank you sophia_starchild!)

I wanted to add something now that I've worn Envy several times. It reminds me very much of Lush's Pleasure Dough and blends wonderfully with their Dream Cream. It smells more like part of me than a perfume floating on top. Hard to explain, but I think this will be one of my big bottle purchases.

Edited by orangepoppy

When I wear Envy, flowers envy me.

It surrounds me in a Power Cloud....not that the scent is overpowering, but it really gives me a mental boost.

This cloud is sometimes lavender and sometimes light green..It's irridescent and color-shify. It definitely glitters with energy.

I'm enthralled with this light, fresh, empowering scent.

When I first tried this, all I got was mint and my wrist smelled like toothpaste. I wasn't really into that, so I put it in the swap box.

However, I've just tried it again and given it more time to dry down, and I actually like it a lot this time. The minty-toothpaste smell fades after about 10 minutes and I'm left with a lovely green, leafy, faintly sweet-herbal smell - I don't get any lime, and if there's lavender it's very mild, not bitter. I ordered Envy because I love green smells, so I'm really happy with this phase. No more swap box for it!

Edited by isyche

I loved the scent of this in the vial - bright and piercing, and so much mint. Mmmm.

On me, the initial green mint really worked. Sadly, the mint faded fairly quickly, although the fresh green that was left was also lovely. Unfortunately, in the long run this just didn't work - it eventually faded into something more like a powdery candy smell. The second time I wore it, there was no consistency, but some of the moments were wonderful, so I think I'll give it one more try before giving up.

Reviewers who describe this as "glittery" are dead on. This was so bright a scent on me that it kept taking my attention away from whatever I was trying to focus on. I liked it but it made me vaguely uneasy at the same time - it's gorgeous but devious and snake-like.

Edited by Nepthys

Envy

In vial: I smell mint, and green lavender (like the whole lavender plant, leaves and all), and the barest hint of lime zest.

wet: I only smell mint and lavender...the lime is gone.

dry: immediate drydown has the lavender at the forefront, with the mint peeking through. Over the course of an hour, the mint comes to the forefront, but then something strange happens...Envy morphs into a diaper smell (not dirty diapers, but clean unused diapers...a very plastic-y smell). I do not want to smell like diapers! Fortunately that phase only lasts about 30 minutes, then the scent completely fades away.

I do not have very high hopes for this one, but I will try it again later before swapping away. I may also try it as a room scent.

ETA: I tried this again and I did not get the plastic diaper scent this time around. However, in less than 90 minutes, Envy had completely faded away. This doesn't have enough staying power for me, but I will most likely use up the imp.

Edited by sarahj