Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Green herbs slithering through mint, lime and lavender.

This smells exactly like LUSH's Angels on Bare Skin cleanser. Overwhelming lavender and green-ness.

Edited by delighted

In the imp: Sharp lavender, mint, and herbs.

Wet: Lavender, mint, and lime emerge first, but the herbs are becoming more prominent as the scent sits on my skin. The mint note in this is a bit menthol-like, and the lavender is that of the medicinal variety. The herbs, like the lime, are very green. It isn't long before they dominate the scent.

Dry: The scent is very green now, with the herbs taking the center stage. The lavender, lime, and mint notes are still present, but they are now content with background roles.

Verdict: This scent really fits the saying that one is 'green with envy' really well, but even though I like lavender and mint, this just isn't for me.

Edited by dementia_divine

Envy is one of my all-time favourites.

On me it's a gorgeous mint with deep dark herbs that I've never quite been able to identify, with just some hints of lavender. I wear it in the spring and early summer, and also to bed a lot. I find it very soothing and calming. In university I used it to help me get through exams....lol.

Mint and lime in the bottle. Goes on as bruised and torn "catnip" mint leaves — those fuzzy round ones which grow wild. This develops a lavender or lavender-leaf note; it definitely smells like the actual plant and not "chemically created lavender." Alas, it dries as a boring floral. Definite points for creating something so realistic.

In the imp: Exactly as described - herbal, minty, citrusy & bright! The lavender is quite potent at first whiff, so I hope it doesn't overpower everything on my skin as lavender is quite hit & miss for me.

Wet on skin: Lavender with a few other herbs in the background. It's not going bad yet, so that's something!

Dry on skin: Surprisingly soft (though I did apply this sparingly), the lavender is blending nicely with the other herbs & there's just a hint of lime. It smells rather like a really fancy soap, even though it's not soapy - just has a similar combination of notes to some artisan soaps I've smelled.

After a few hours: Very soft & subtle - lime is the main note now, sweetened by the herbs.

Verdict: I was expecting this to be very different to what it was! It's a lot more delicate & subtle than I was expecting, but I quite like it!

In the imp: A scent that's both herbal and herbaceous, if that makes sense. The lavender is herbal and woody, like a real lavender plant just out of the ground, and the mint adds some nice zing without being too sharp or menthol-y. If there is any lime, it's hiding behind the mint. The whole thing is rounded out by ineffable green herbs - I can't distinguish any in particular, but the overall effect is brisk, outdoorsy, and invigorating!

Wet: Interesting - a woody, almost camphor-like lavender, with the lime and mint fading until they're just enough to give the lavender an edge. But worse than that, a distinct soapy note is developing. Blech! And I had such high hopes for a nice herbal lavender, too...

Dry: Well, that was... disappointing. It leans soapier and soapier, losing that herbal edge, until it's pure soap. And then, after only like three hours, nothing. Even shoving my wrist into my nose and huffing gets me nothing but the actual soap I washed my hands with. A resounding meh.

Mint and dry lavender up front, and gets some crispness from the lime. On me this is very soft and herbal but isn't quite up my alley.

I like these notes, except that Lime is a mighty warrior who overpowers the weak and the average in her path. Still, on the wand, Envy smells more like herbs, mint, and aromatic (slightly bitey) lavender than lime, though I get a lemon-lime thing, too.

On my skin, though, the lime takes over. It also turns sour, like it did in Undertow. Yuck. I like sour if it's clean, but this smells overripe. The bite from the aromatic lavender adds a harsh edge, not helping at all. The pretty greenery from other herbs isn't nearly enough to mitigate the mess. I barely catch the mint now.

Once dried, the harsh lavender bite wears off, and most of the limey sourness as well. What's left, though, still doesn't appeal: overripe, watery, lime- and lavender-tinged greens. This is like someone tried to grow lavender using lime concentrate instead of water. Not much good for me, really.

Green! So very green, which I suppose shouldn't be surprising. Even the lavender note smells kind of green, almost more like the stem than the flowers. All the notes here are very dry and herbal, with some borderline-woodiness in the background. It reminds me of moss, but the living stuff instead of the perfume note. The mint is subtle and actually quite sweet, which I like. This definitely has similarities to LUSH's Angels on Bare Skin, which I used for about two years. Sits very close to the skin and eventually settles down into a vague herbal "clean" smell--not soapy, but cool and pleasant.

This I had as an imp, though now I can't remember where I got it from. I probably should've made that a category in my notes.

First Sniff Impression: Green, minty, a little bit alcoholic (first thought was "nail polish")

Wet in Vial: Notes seem fairly even. Greens and mint hit me first, but I can also pick out the lime and lavender easily.

Drying Down on Skin: The alcoholic whiff disappears right away, fortunately. Mint is coming more to the forefront, lavender and lime are moving away. The mintiness makes it another one that brings to mind Lady Amalthea for me. However, the lack of white musk makes this one feel slightly "less cool." It's a warmer mint plus greenery.

Dry on Skin: Dry, the floral aspects come out more, and the mint fades a bit, making the scent more balanced. However, I think I liked it better when the greens were more prominent. With the greens mostly faded away, the scent becomes a little sweeter than I was expecting. I wish it stayed in its drying down form for me much longer. I don't know where the lavender itself went. Apparently the lavender and lime had a baby together named ... limender. Which smells like honeysuckle, or something else very sweet I'm not big on.

Conclusion: Er ... not sure. I don't think I like the final evolution of this, which is obviously the one that matters most since it lasts the longest. I might decide to pass it on. But I have to say, the sort of floral, almost sicky-sweetness of it seems somehow fitting for "Envy."

This is like Hermione’s Amortentia. Fresh cut grass, and… Okay so it’s like 1/3 of Hermione’s Amortentia. I smell lavender, lime, and grass. Like summer! Definitely a surprise keeper for me!

Where I'd wear this: Working in a spring herb garden

In the imp: Most prominently, a green, herbal note. I can also detect mint, lime, and lavender. 

On my skin:

Wet, mint comes to the forefront, followed by the herbal note and the lavender. In just a second, before it's even dry, those two notes take over the mint, so it's barely detectable. 

Um. Once it's dry, I get predominantly lavender soap. In fairness, it's much nicer lavender than is in most commercial lavender soaps. This is like fresh-cut lavender, with the greenness of stems and leaves in addition to the flowers. But there's a decided soapy tang going on. 

I'd been staying away from this because I don't do well with mint. On the plus side, at least the mint turned out to be a non-issue for me?

This is an old imp, possibly from 2011.

In bottle: very strong minty menthol scent; smells like vix or eucalyptus.  

On skin: not much changes, but I can smell the lime more.  

After a few hours: this has faded

Will probably offer this up for a swap.

This is so fresh and green - one of the freshest smelling oils I've ever smelled! It starts out with a strong lavender - it isn't sweet or medicinal, it's a good, balanced lavender. There's an eye opening mint here (peppermint, maybe?) and a breath of lime. All of this is backed by crushed green herbs, like you just rubbed the leaves between your fingers. The only downside? It doesn't last all that long. 7/10 - a short but amazing ride

In the imp: Really does slither. The mint and lime tone down the lavender. Subtle and vaguely sinister in a way I wasn't expecting. I like it, despite not usually going for lavender scented products. 

On my skin: Minty, citrusy lavender. A fresh, yellow green scent you might get if you picked a whole bunch of greens straight from the garden. Gets a little soapy as it dries on me, but still nice. 

Based on the notes, not something I would test or buy, but got this imp for free and why not?! It's uplifting and calming at the same time, perfect yoga/summer oil! 

Though I've had tough luck with herbal scents, I purchased an imp of Envy from the lab on a whim.

Envy is fresh and cool and sparkling, dominated by what I believe is lavender and possibly basil, sweetened by lime.  As others have said, this is an ideal hot-day scent.  I think this would also be an excellent gym/office scent because it's very clean and natural smelling and doesn't have a huge throw or anything.  It's just pleasant, and to me evokes the image of walking past a tiny restaurant that grows its own herbs in a little planter box outside on a crisp morning.  That's oddly specific, but it's the vibe I get.

This is what I hoped that Arcana would smell like (I hated Arcana) and has restored my faith in herbal scents. :bow:

Clean and green herbs and mint. I didn't get any lime, probably faded with age, and the lavender was barely there.

It's alright, but it fades so fast which is a shame. Wish I got the lime and more lavender. 

Envy... something I don't want, so I guess it's true to its name. My initial impression both in the lab frimp and wet on my skin is soapy. Very clean linens. Laundry detergent? Not my cup of tea. It's a sharp scent, and I suppose that's coming from the mint and the lime. I can also pick up the lavender quite a bit, which might be one of my least favorite scents of all time. As a whole, it didn't last nearly as long on my skin as other BPALs that I've tried. This "green" blend is not for me, so I think I'll be giving it away to a friend or something.

Edited by skyturtles

I get a little bit of everything when first applied, but this quickly becomes all about the green herbs. I can't pick out the individual herbs in the blend, but they are slightly bitter in a refreshing sort of way.

This is a perfume I want to use but not really wear. It smells soapy and citrusy, a bit like a nice cleaner. It'd be great on clean sheets or to scent a scrubby soap. I should probably revisit this when it's not cold out because I don't really want a scent like this in January.

In the Imp this this is sharp and green and intriguing. Whilst wearing it has a good medium throw, so you can be stood next to me and smell it, but it won't cover the whole room, which is exactly what I want. 

However on my skin, both wet, during the dry down, and after wearing for a few hours, it dissapointingly smells exactly like toilet block. You could say I have a bit of envy towards those whoes skin it works well on... 

Oh man does my body chemistry hate this...

In the bottle, I smell herbs, more herbs and parsley? No mint, no lime no lavender (all things I love).

On my skin: bug spray. I was trying to figure out what it was the first time I put it on, but then it hit me, it smells exactly like RAID. I want to cry, this sounds like it would have been so nice.