Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Green herbs slithering through mint, lime and lavender.

Hey, Envy smells like dinner to me! My dad makes a Shirazi salad with onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs, and lemon or lime juice. We also eat mint leaves with dinner sometimes, and this combination of lime and herbs in Envy makes me a little hungry!

I'm surprised that although this blend has lavender in it, I'm not having a bad reaction to the scent. I actually really like it, and I never wear herbal/green/citrus blends.

I don't know that I'll wear this, because it's so different from the types of scents I usually wear. I really like to smell it, though! I might give this to The Boy.

Oooh. This is so fresh and green and sparkley! At first, all I smell are leaves and mint - I say leaves because it's sort of an indiscriminate weeding-the-garden-crushed-leaves-all-over sort of smell at first, amazingly so. It's completely refreshing and invigorating, and it reminds me of pulling up handfuls of grass and herbs (but without the sneezy feeling :P). I've been wearing it a few minutes now, and the lavender and lime seem to be appearing slowly, with the mint still going strong. I will report back if it does anything wacky, but right now I love this oil and will have to add it to the big bottle list. Envy is good stuff. :D

In the bottle: Mint, but the herb, not a stong peppermint scent.

First on: Soap with mint in the background

Drydown: It still smells more like soap than mint to me. I can detect the lime, but the mint is gone. Definitely not what I expected Envy to smell like.

at first: lavender is the strongest, but he mint and lime definitely hold their own.

on: wonderful, mostly a wonder lime/mint blend, with the earthiness of patchouli peeking through.

2 hours later: very light, but interesting. the patchouli is still in the background, with the lime and mint combining nicely on top. lovely.

4 hours later: it's harder to pick out the notes. it's nice, though.

6 hours later: a light scent, with a bit of tartness to it.

overall: i like this at first, but i'm going to swap it because it just doesn't develop well on me.

In Bottle: Mint and plants.

On Skin: Very green scent that fits the name Envy well. The mint is strong with a pretty bed of lavender to lay upon. The lime gives a tart sour tint that adds to the greeness of this scent. A light, clean, refreshing scent that screams outdoorsy. I'd also love to use this as a linen spray.

in the imp: very sharp and green. I can't distinguish any of the notes

wet: still sharp, but the lime is strong now, and I can catch a hint of mint.

dry: a bit powdery (but that's my wonky body chemistry) and mint. I never caught the lavender at all.

It's nice but a bit sharp. I layered it with some Embalming Fluid and they went surprisingly well together.

:P

I HATE mint, so I was so sure that Envy would make me sick. But the mint is so well blended and light that I don't even notice it. This smells so green and herbal and wonderful. It reminds me of dandelions. When you're pulling weeds in the yard and you get dandelion sap on your hands... that's what Envy smells like. This is my next 5 ml purchase, definitely.

:D

Green and sparkly, that description stuck as I read others and thought...yeah, that is Envy. This is wonderful, almost aromatheraputic in quality. Very pure notes. This, made into a solid or spray and kept in my locker at work for those moments when the smile is slowly sliding off your face...and...you...just...need...a...break!

This is it. I love it. :P

Envy never looked so good baby!

With some of the reviews, I was a little worried that this wouldn't smell nice on me. But I think Envy is a lovely scent. Green herbal describes it perfectly, but I don't get any hint of a medicine smell, just a nice clean herbal, with a very faint hint of something lemon-- maybe lemongrass or lemon verbena? I actually didn't smell mint or lavender, which is good because sometimes in blends those get overpowering on me. It smelled really nice on me. It's not a scent that's usually my speed, I prefer some of the darker scents or florals, but it was really pretty.

This was my very first BPAL blend, and I loved it so much that I almost bought a 5ml before Ailgwyn convinced me she wanted to do it for me herself.

Lavender with a kick. Lavender with herbs to mellow it out, lime to add a little flavor, mint to wake you up and keep it from getting TOO mellow. It's one of my two favorite BPALs ever.

At the beginning, green mintyness which segues into minty greeness. The mint fades as the lavendar joins in and the lavendar is then gently nudged aside by the lime, which has that slight coconutty smell real limes have to me. All of these shifts are very subtle and no note hits the others, or me, over the head. Drydown is strong, totally unexpected, completely unmistakeable lily of the valley on me. This surprised me since no one else seems to have had that impression.

A lovely scent in general, but alas it fades on me much too quickly. I will save it for occasions when I am feeling especially envious. :P

(Not quite an envy face, but at least it is green!)

In the bottle:

Lavender. Strong, strong lavender - it kind of scares me a little because I think it might be TOO much lavender

On me:

At first, it IS too much lavender. I'm worried because though I like lavender in moderation, I certainly don't want to smell just like that. After a few minutes though it becomes herbally and green with an earthy smelling mint rounding it out. The lavender is there in the background but it's very subtle, it's not overwhelming the scent. Another few minutes and I can smell a tiny little bit of lime, it's not biting or tart, it's fresh and green and adds a little edge to this. In the long run, I think this smells very GREEN, in the truest sense of the word. It's fresh and very unique, and also complex.

Final note:

I was really hoping the mint was going to be more prominent in this, but it's in the background just rounding this out most of the time. The lime is barely there, so I didnt really get what I was expecting from this scent, but I definitely don't dislike it either. I think this would be great for days when I really need to feel fresh and picked up. This would work really well on a man too, and yet doesn't smell too masculine. I'm not sure if I like it enough to buy a bottle, but I don't know that I *don't* like it enough either. I think it's going to take a few more times before I figure it out :P

Bottle (Imp): Green and minty. More mint than green.

Just On: It starts to get more green than mint right away.

An hour or two later: It's almost all gone already.

Around 6 hours: It's mostly gone now.

12 hours: All gone.

Overall: This was yummy. I could see ordering more of this, it feels like an uplifting scent. Somehow it seems to fit it's name as well.

After reading other reviews: I got the green herbs, and the mint, but I really never got lime or lavender. Add me to the folks who love this scent.

I had been looking forward to Envy as I am a big mint fan.

In the bottle it smelled like an awesome mint with a slightly alcohol (mouthwashy?) smell but I didn't mind that at all. I thought it smelled GREAT!

When I applied it, it smelled the exact same for about 10 minutes and after finally drying down, it was some faintly floral, grandma's guest soap kind of thing going on. Then about 30 minutes down the line, it was all soap.

I grabbed the husband to test it on his chemistry and while the mint stayed longer, his wrist eventually turned into the dreaded soap scent, too.

Unfortunately I will be taking this off of my list of 5ml's I want to buy.

Bah!

You know what smells really wickedly good?

Envy layered over Novocaine Smooch.

In the imp: Mint, totally.

On me: Mint, with a bit of green. My herbal garden is mint, all mint.

Lasting power: Medium

Verdict: A bottle somewhere - definitely for summer. This humidity rots.

In bottle:Mint and lime, with herbs in the background. I've never smelled anything quite like this.

Wet: Lavender comes out more. The lime is very strong on me...not sure about this.

Dry: All lime and lavender, neither of which work on me. The lime smells like some sort of antiseptic. The scent was very light. On me the scent was rather sharp. I don't think I get along with citrus scents.

In the imp: Minty. Like a stick of gum that's been laying in the sun and is all warm and gooey.

Wet: Strong lavender scent. The mint's still there, too. I'm not sure if I can smell the lime yet, but the lavender/mint combo's nice.

Dry: Mellowed into a herbal, medicine smell. The lime came out more and toned down the mint kick a lot. Like everyone else has said, it's a very green smell.

I'm not sure that I like this too much. I enjoy citrus smells, but the strong mint in this one turns me off. I feel like I'm wearing some sort of old lady rub. This one goes in the sale/swap pile.

An imp I received in a swap with isyche. Thanks!

Usually, mint hates me and turns itself into cat pee. With Envy, I barely notice it.

In the imp I can smell the lime mingling with lavender with the faintest breath of mint. This smells really fresh and crisp. I’m liking it so far.

As it dries, it gets more herbal and a bit floral. The overall effect was similar to smell of gardenias. Dry, the notes seem to shift and smell like herbs. Envy is very refreshing and a green sent. The mint wasn't even a problem with this blend. A definate keeper! I think I will be adding bottle of this to my next order.

Oooh. Bad ooh.

Get it out of my nose! Ok...

Pine-y, lavendar gone pine-y. Or rosemary? The description says lavendar so I'm guessing that's it. An odd disinfectanty smell with something trying to be true and green, and not making it through the chemically scent.

Nope, my nose won't even let this touch my skin. Not for me. Thankfully, I know someone who wants this.

This is the oddest fragrance I've had the opportunity to wear. And that's not an insult, by no means!

Envy is light green to me. The mood is cold and cunning. Element is a blend of earth and air.

In the Bottle or Imp:

LAVENDER. Lavender, with a hint of citrus. But, mostly a very true Lavandula angustifolia.

Wet, on Skin:

Lavender, very potent. Can smell peppermint here.

Drying Down:

The mint is blended well with a light, tart citrus and garden herbs, like basil and parsley... I can still detect the lavender, which is lightly powdery at this point, a backdrop to the leafy and lime green.

Over Time/Longterm:

Very interesting... lime, mint and basil. But still carrying that balsamic kick from the lavender.

Final Verdict?

Intriguing! Feels very 'cold.' Not a bottle for me, but I'll savor the imp.

Crisp, cool, delicious. Makes me think of what I wish salad tasted like!

I like the minty-ness.

Commercial perfumes always claim to have mint in them, but I can never smell it. It's refreshing to actually be able to detect the sharp yumminess that is mint. I like the herby dry down.. a green grassy smell very evocative of a technicolor green field in the land of Oz.

This is such a different perfume. Really something to wear if you're literally rolling around in money. It's a cold and yet giddy smell. Love it love it.

In the bottle: green herbs, much like a herb garden on a warm day. Clean and refreshing.

On skin initially: a nice, sweet, yummy floral. I kept sniffing, because "lavender" didn't describe this scent properly to me. It strongly reminds me of the waxy flowers - like a variety of lily or magnolias. Sniffing my wrist is like burying my face in a big, heady magnolia blossom, with a hint of crushed herbs lingering around.

After an hour: it is a lovely scent, still sweetly floral with a hint of green. No mint to speak of, but the "magnolia" still lingers in my mind. I wonder if it's the lavender morphing on my skin (or that my dislike of lavender is due to sniffing rather inferior stuff in the past?). Unfortunately, as lovely and yummy as it is, I don't think it would be an everyday scent for me, and I might trade it - for the right temptation.

I tested this one as his and hers.

In the bottle: Dark green, herby and minty.

On skin, wet:

Hers: Mint is strongest, but I also smell some lavender, and something unidentifiably fruity. Very invigorating!

His: Mint is much less apparent, much more limey.

On skin, Dry:

Hers: Mojitos--sweet clean mint and lime! Lime is strongest after it dries, but there is a refreshing herbal greenness (the lavender from wet phase disappears). Besides mojitos, this reminds me of an aloe vera cream I had a while back. Very citrusy, herbal and refreshing, and because I associate it with sunburn a bit medicinal. I almost feel like there's a tinge of chamomile to this. It's refreshing, invigorating and relaxing all at once. Stays on me for 4-5ish hours.

His: Still, much less minty than on me, more lime, and very faint lavender. His skin has almost eaten the scent, and it had no staying power on him.

Overall: Not for him, since it fades too fast. On me, I think it’s a lovely fresh scent. Smells clean and springy. The lime is the strongest note on my skin. I applaud BPAL for this blend. I don’t think I could wear it often, but I will consider it come next spring. Even if I weren't gonna use it as perfume, I think this would make a kick-ass shower gel or lotion. Or after shower splash. I'm marking this as a strong possibility for making gifts!

Edited by jewelbug