Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Belladonnastrap

Beatrice

A scent inspired by Beatrice, Rappaccini’s delicate, beautiful, innocent and deadly daughter. A fragile, winsome, poisonous blend of rare, precious and graceful flowers, rich blossoms and spicy perfumes that passes heavily, as a broken heart, across the borders of Time.

Sadly, on me, this smelled like baby wipes. Occasionally some florals peeked out. Off to swaps!:P Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: Beautiful red roses and spices. Something sweet too, like cherries maybe?

On my skin: Wet, roses, roses, roses. I don't smell the spices or the cherries anymore.

10 minutes later: It's going soapy on me. :D The spices are starting to come out a little bit all mellow and slightly sweet, but I don't know if they will overpower the soapy smell of the rose.

The soapy smell does mellow out a bit, but it still stays soapy on my skin. I love roses, but just can't wear them! :P This would be a lovely spicy, light rose for someone who can wear it well.

Edited by Vicious Mistress

In Bottle: Strong bright floral.

On Skin: This is so pretty. As usual, I’m not a big fan of florals, but this has so many levels and such personality. It reminds me of being a young girl and trying on my mom’s perfume wishing I was all grown up and wearing beautiful gowns with all sorts of parties to go to. Very feminine and elegant. The spices are light, so much so that I wouldn’t call this a spicy scent. It is pure florals.

Second Impression: This is a rose scent for rose wearers *and* rose fearers.

Lol! i got this scent for my friend because she loves rose scents. i dread them, since i'm deadly allergic, but this is one she can wear around me w/o my having to fear! it's so vanilla-y and spicey that teh roses get toned down some, it's jsut lovely! i'd never wear it myself, but i know i'll love it on her!

Soft, spicey florals. This was just enough floral with just enough spice, very feminine without being cloying but didn't really strike my chemistry as anything special. Oh well :P

I love "Rappaccini's Daughter", but my budget was unwilling to let me buy a bottle when Beatrice made her debut. So I am delighted to have an imp at last! I expect it to smell "purple", like the deadly-beautiful blooms of Beatrice's familiar-spirit plant.

Oh. Jasmine. My beloved rose never does this to me; this is my old nemesis, jasmine, popping out in the topnotes. Luckily, there is more to Beatrice: after a minute the soft spices come out, and there is also a hint of green. Beth has several slightly-powdery, slightly-spicy floral blends (Lucy's Kiss, Fleurs du Mal); none of them is a favorite of mine, although this is the best of the bunch. I'll probably wear it from time to time, but I'm glad I didn't go broke for a bottle! :P

I'm not sure how I've managed to not review this for so long. Beatrice is a scent I find myself craving often. Beatrice is sweet, soft, vanilla-floral. The flowers are indeed rare, or just so well-blended that I can't pick out any particular familiar one.

She is innocence. Pure of heart, sweet and lovely.

Beatrice has a good strong throw and lasts hours.

very floral with my chemistry...a tad of spice as well........

beatrice is beautiful indeed..........not for the faint of heart as the florals

are quite strong and take on a very domineering effect........

extremely long lasting as well........ :P

Origin:

Imp from my Imp Pimp, Diana. :D

Preconceived notions:

I don't expect to like this since I'm not a floral fan, but I wanted to try it anyway just because it's an LE and I want to know what it's like. :D

First sniff:

This reminds me of department store perfume (I'm sorry) for some reason. Very perfumey and floral with a light touch of spice in the background. This is definitely not going to work for me. At all.

Wet on skin:

Very strong, intense, heady flowers. I have absolutely no clue what's in here since I'm terrible with floral notes, but all I can say is that it smells like being buried alive in flower petals of all shapes and colors. For someone else, I'm sure that could be a wonderful thing indeed, but for me it's...bad. I'm already getting a horrible headache just from smelling the little dab I put on my wrist to test this. :P

Dry down:

I smell something that might be honeysuckle in this, but it's the only thing I can even begin to pin down aside from saying that this is floral in the extreme. There really is something spicy in here, too, but I'm not sure if it's carnation or another spicy flower or not a flower at all. :D

The bottom line:

Definitely not for me. I'm getting a horrible headache from this and I need to wash it off in a hurry. :D

In the bottle, it's a very light, green floral. Very springy and lovely.

On my skin, it first turns very green, and then what I think is that dreaded lily comes out. It goes all astringent-powdery on me. Blech.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Floral soap.

Preconceived notions: I'm definitely expecting something heavy on the flowers. Jasminey, maybe?

In the imp: Strongly floral, but I can't pick out any specific notes. I think I'm catching rose, though, which does not bode well.

On skin, wet: Very surprising: I like this so far! It's a very... warm, slightly dark and spicy floral scent, though no one note so far dominates the others. Very well blended and beautiful.

On skin, dry: There's something almost soapy about this now, unfortunately. Rich and quite pretty, but very much like an expensive floral soap. The soapy element... it doesn't smell soapy-esque, but actually smells like soap. Like Dove "unscented," which always has that soft, powdery smell. Also, I definitely get jasmine above all else, and while I do like jasmine, I really dug the "unidentifiable" quality it had while wet.

Conclusion: I may try this in a scent locket, but even then, it's so floral and elegant I wouldn't wear it on a regular basis.

Yum! Deliciously spicy floral blend! I've struck out with many BPAL roses, but Beatrice is VERY good to me. I think it may have something to do with the carnation, which adore my skin and always gives a warm embrace. Overall, a stunning blend that I hope will be revisited soon. :P

Finally! I review this bottle I got from the Lab months ago!!

Beatrice smells like a damp garden of scents in the beginning. However, once the scent mingles with my body chemistry, it goes through a different array of moods: cloying, dusty, soapy, powdery, lush, squishy....

Rose, I smell you. I know you're there. And from what I can tell, you are the rose that tends to smell like sweaty deoderant on me. Damn. The swirl of other floral notes attempt to rescue the crook of my elbow from smelling like Teen Spirit, but alas, the armpit odour of a teenage gym class overtakes the garden, trampling on the flowers during the mile run their masculine gym teacher Ms Armstrong forces them to do. Oh, look at that, one of the real bitchy girls pushes a bespeckled girl into a thorny rosebush.

Hang on, that's me.

All right now. Any bottle that gives me flashbacks of much-hated PE classes is getting the boot. Sorry, Beatrice.

A small anecdote: My mother's name is Beatrice, and she said her favourite class was PE. I should have known from the beginning....

-doreen

I just received a bottle of this yesterday - a forum purchase from bloodlotus1 :D

And this is my first review of a BPAL fragrance...

Beatrice is just about everything I hoped it would be. From the very cool label on the bottle to the killer flower garden goodness inside.

Sniffing from the bottle, my nose is hit with MEGA floral. Nothing specific - although probably more rosy than anything. Very bright and playful.

On the skin I start to smell some of the greenery filling out the bouquet. It stays at this stage for quite awhile for me. I came into work today with some fresh cut lilacs in hand and one of my coworkers standing in the lobby commented on how he could smell the flowers as soon as I walked in the door. I held them out for him to smell and after he did he had a puzzled look on his face - and then said "that's not lilac I smell...it's YOU - wow!" Since I'm pretty new to wearing BPAL fragrance, and this was the first time I'd worn Beatrice, I was curious - so I asked if the scent was too much. He said "oh no, it's definitely noticable but very real - not at all like how some women wear too much perfume" Good answer!

A few hours later, I still feel an aura of Beatrice around me, but have to put my nose right up to my arm to smell the details...and this is the stage of the fragrance that really wins me over. I still smell the beautiful floral bouquet framed by the green leaves - but there's something a bit musky lurking underneath...it's light but it's there.

I'll confess I'm a sucker for florals. I would say that Beatrice is a very elegant, yet unrestrained scent. Definitely no wall flower.

Rating = 5 from 1 (low) to 5 (high) :P

- Sally

Beatrice was a really happy surprise, especially since I thought Berenice was coming my way. Ah, reaping sweet the rewards of sidlexia.

No overpowering rose or jasmine in mine. At first, Beatrice smells to me like heavy poppy with some ylang-ylang or honeysuckle. There is a musky, baby-oily, vanilla very like Snake Oil but without the saffron. It doesn't morph radically, and has medium throw.

Although Berenice is a favorite, I will be wearing Beatrice a lot. She is wunnerful.

It's not Dante's Beatrice, but I at least wish to pretend it is.

In the bottle: It's a beautiful floral scent which I loved. Very light, feminine, a very proper woman's perfume.

Wet: It's not overpowering, which is nice. The florals are really what's present here. It took an extra application to get a properly lingering scent.

30 minutes: It seems to be almost cinnamony according to the girl I carpool with. I am picking up a spiciness coming out over the florals which is very nice.

Dry: It's faint. Toned down a lot. I don't think this scent is going to last well on me, which is sad as I had to use so much to begin with. My skin eats this scent. I'm disappointed because the scent is obviously not Beatrice Portanari, but this other Beatrice whom I don't know. It fits its description very well though and is a lovely woman's perfume. The spices prevent it from being overwhelmingly floral, but the florals keep it from being too sharp and masculine. I like it, but I don't think I'll buy it.

Just gorgeous!! The mixture of baby powder and vanilla is just inspired.

It's young and innocent but womanly and sexy all at the same time. The jasmine is gorgeous and balances out well with the spicy perfumes.

I'm actually not getting much of the rose note, which is sort of dissappointing, as I love the BPAL roses, but this is still a definite keeper and occassional wear. :P

Bottle: lily, other white florals. sweet.

Wet: lily on top,may be some jasmine, I'm not sure. very light, transparent.

Dry: stargazer amping. I can catch none of the other notes at this point. pisser.

Later: all lily, all the time. and it's getting ... past-its-prime floral rotting-sweet. how very unfortunate.

Since florals aren't my thing I wasn't going to try Beatrice, but somehow I ended up with an imp of it a couple of months ago. I tried it with some trepidation because I didn't want to stink like a rosebush for the next 4 hours.

Not to worry. In the first couple minutes of wearing it, I thought, "Hmm, that's not too bad." After about 30 minutes, I was headed to my bedroom to find the imp so I could put on some more.

I am teh suck at identifying floral notes, but it does seem like there might be some lily in there, maybe a teeny bit of rose, and possibly some carnation. This oil has a very cool characteristic in which it is spicy and creamy at the same time. The flowers in it smell like a cross between green and white. It is feminine and luxurious, but I wouldn't call it girlie. And definitely not innocent -- no one that innocent would smell this good.

My only problem with it is that I have to wear more than usual because it seems to fade more quickly than other BPAL oils. But the throw is just right for me (not gonna knock anyone over, but no one has to have their nose on my skin to smell it).

I have used up my whole imp and now I'm working my way through a bottle. Beatrice was really good to me in the late spring months and I'm planning on wearing it all through the summer too. Like I said, I'm not a floral fan, but this one in particular is too beautiful to resist.

ETA, a year later... I feel like I should amend my review because I now have 3 bottles of this. It's become my signature traditional floral scent. I wear it a lot. It's soft and beautiful and feminine and graceful.

Edited by filigree_shadow

Beatrice - I heard such rave reviews about how beautiful Beatrice is, so I had to try it. Because I heart BPAL rose scents so much, I was devastated to discover that I could discern absolutely nothing in the way of rose in this blend, although the jasmine was loud and clear (as usual) and something bitter creeped up from behind the jasmine, biting me in the nose. It’s a very bitter scent to me, despite all of the sweet floral. At about the 20-minute point, it began to acquire a soapiness to it, and then disappeared completely within the hour. Definitely not a scent for me.

Not your average floral blend! As a latecomer to the lab, I'm very happy that I could swap for this one, and I only wish that Beatrice would visit "Rappacini's Garden" again sometime.

This is rich and complex, but not too heavy: an intoxicating, romantic blend with a little darkness around the edges. Lasts for hours on me--and remains utterly lovely the whole time.

Edited by mountainwitch

In the bottle it's pure heaven...and on my wrist it's heaven multiplied.

WOW

Light, airy, casual, beautiful, feminine, soft, and mysterious.

I need a big bottle of this...must search....