Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
spark

Wine, Beer, Rum, Bourbon... the booze scents

Adding to my ever-expanding wishlist...

I'd really love to try Old Madrid (love *love* that city + am all set to move there this September!) but I'm not so sure about the wine note in it... I'm also pretty tempted by Blood Rose, but again...

I'm a wine lover so I'm intrigued by the idea of smelling like wine, but I can't imagine what it would smell like in a perfume :P

What do the wine-y scents smell like to you? Is the wine note really boozy, or more like a full-bodied fruity sort of scent with less of the alcohol?

p.s. I wasn't sure where to ask - the search for wine turned up so many results! So it must be pretty popular...

centzon totochtin is my all time fav wine blend from the lab...

here is the description...

The Four Hundred divine rabbits of the Aztec pantheon that preside over parties and drunkenness. Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood.

if you have not tried this one out put it on your wishlist!!!

the wine, rum and cocoa are absolutely heavenly... :P

What do the wine-y scents smell like to you? Is the wine note really boozy, or more like a full-bodied fruity sort of scent with less of the alcohol?

Wine notes often go really 'off' on my skin. They tend to smell sort of like thick, rotten, tart fruit on me. Most often though (on other people, lol), the wines just smell thickly fruity, not really boozy. I try to stear clear of the red, dark wine notes just because they're so strong on my skin, but you should definitely try a few blends just to see how the note works with your skin chemistry :P.

i should have addressed the way wine/boozy notes react to me in my

previous message so here goes...:P ...

no alcohol smell whatsoever...just thick, rich and an almost butter kind of fruity

note...you really need to try for yourself some of these blends and see how they react with your chemistry...then you will know for sure :D

ooh... now I want centzon totochtin as well... :D

good advice about trying them out (of course now this means I have to buy them :P - I think I'll get some wine-y imps to go with my dragon's blood imps...)

What about the grape liqour in Bess - is that something similar?

Bess didn't strike me as being boozy or smelling of wine at all... the grape in that was very herbal, sweet, and pleasant... it reminded me a lot of grapes hanging on their vines rather than grapes turned into alcohol.

The only scent that I've really tried that smelled like alcohol to me exactly was Roadhouse. And it smells interestingly like cheap beer, lol. A lot of the boozy scents don't smell boozy to me... the red wine in particular smells like very tart, heavy fruit on me. The peach wine in Aglaea just smells like lovely, sweet peaches on me. The apricot brandy in Grand Guignol smells like sweet apricots on me. The Hamptons is limeade, cranberry, and a boozy edge on me.

Anyhow, most of the boozy scents don't really scream "alcohol" to me... except for Roadhouse.

Montresor is a good red wine/oaken barrel scent.

unless, of course, your skin turns it immediately to the fragrance of cat litter box, which mine sadly did. And amped very very well, and stayed very very long. :P

Jazz Funeral has a whiff of something boozy in it, very complex and interesting scent.

Kali is one of my favourite BPAL scents and it also has a red wine note. It doesn't smell boozy, per se, it has more of a tempered berry note that is really grounded by the dark chocolate, tobacco, and balsam notes in the blend. It is one of the sexiest scents I have ever smelled and it is the fragrance that originally got me hooked on BPAL. Another sexy wine scent you might want to try is Wanda. She's a hottie, I'm talking "fiyah". :P Also, some of the other scents that have wine notes in them such as Lady MacBeth and Bordello smell like sweet-sweet grapes.

I second the rec for Kali -- that was what got me hooked on BPAL's red wine note. In the vial, it's very alcoholic, but it dries to this divine sexy fruit smell without being at all foody or heavy. On me Centzon Totochtin did this creepy blood-and-hot-stone thing, but a lot of other people like it. Blood Rose is another of my favorites, though for a room scent, as that's one of the rose blends that doesn't like me.

I liked Wanda for the wine/rose/leather notes.

My favorite boozy perfume is Perversion.

I love Blood Rose! The wine note isn't really overpowering, it just adds a fruity/juicy undertone to the rose, at least on my skin.

It really varies from scent to scent. I'm another fan of Kali, Bordello, and Lady Macbeth--and Tintagel--in all of which, the wine notes are very well-behaved on me. Centzon Totochtin, however, went very weird on my skin.

If you find it difficult to pick out the wine note in a scent, try comparing it wrist-by-wrist to a similar but wine-free scent: doing this with Black Tower really made the wine note in BT "pop" for me, although I hadn't even been able to detect it prior to that.

mmm...I like the idea of the juicy/fruity undertone, it's just how I imagine a perfect wine-y blend would smell :P

can't wait to try Madrid! and blood rose sounds like such a perfect rose scent, I can't believe I missed it on the site!

For a rum scent, my favorite is Grog. Dries down to a super yummy coconut rum. :yum:

My other favorite boozy scent is Devil's Night. It's just perfect. Slightly sweet, slightly boozey, and just a bit smokey. :thud:

I just got Feeding The Dead yesterday...."A barrel of beer, a pyramid of cakes, and three sticks of incense". The beer note is really amazing. I never thought I would be attracted to the scent of beer in my perfume! It actually smelled fizzy to me, and reminded me a little bit of the 'fizzy cola' smell that I've detected in some other scents. But it blends so, so well with the other notes. Very unique, and very appealing.

Feeding the Dead really is nommy. I was wary of the beer as well, but it's not boozy in the way that makes you smell like you've spilled your drink down your front; it's just a warm, homey scent that gives the cake and incense some extra oomph.

Feast for the Greatly Revered Ones is a great fruity wine/chocolate -- it's what I wanted from Centzon Totochtin, but only got for a minute before CT dried down.

I love Mad Sweeney. It's a little intense, but I like it a lot and I also like it layered with wood blends. Forbidding Foyer is another of my favorites.

Hmm, no-one mentioned Nosferatu yet, did they? Very very dry red wine, loads of herbs, and dirt. Very different from all the other wine scents in the catalogue, in that it's not at all foody, instead cold and herbal.

On the other hand, Athens is the exact opposite. It's quite boozy, very strong, full of sweetness from honey and myrrh. Lilith is another in this vein, but with black musk and red roses rather than golden honey -- similar fruity red wine note, but much darker and slinkier. Both worth trying, though.

Bumping this to ask for more recommendations of red wine notes. I've recently realised that I do quite love red wine notes and would love to find as many scents as I possibly can that contain it. Suggestions of LEs are welcome too, as I've noted most of the GC suggestions from this thread already. If you know of protos or other hard to find stuff that have red wine notes, do let me know, because I'd love to find as many red wine scents as I can! Thanks a bunch.

For white/honey wine, Delphi is my favorite. Fairy Wine would be, but the honey in it makes it smell like baby powder after about 15 minutes on my skin. But wet, wow is it great.

For red wine, I have to turn to LEs from last year's Lupercalia. Zadok Allen Vinyard is my absolute fave: very strong, heavy read wine, oak, and incense. I feel like I'm at a very naughty occult orgy. Saint Foutin de Varailles is like Zadok's more demure little sister. I wasn't crazy about it when it was new last year; I thought is was too light and a bit like a berry scented candle. But after a year of aging the wine has really come out nicely.