Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Brianne

Recommmendations for Green Scents

I am absolutely stuck on picking out a scent for my Mom (to be a Christmas gift, and to be ordered at the end of this month). Using the BPAL search engine under the "green/herbal" section I see all kinds of things being pulled up. The only problem is that I don't necessarily agree with the categorization of a lot of them, since they didn't really seem green or herbally to me (some of them that I've tried anyways, can't speak for all of em!).

My Mom's favorite BPAL blends so far have been The Apothecary (which she adorrrrrrrres) and Hemlock. She did NOT like Belladonna, though I'm not sure exactly what it was about it that she disliked.

She loves green/herbally scents. Eucalyptus is a favorite note of hers, but she also loves mint, lavender, lilac, light spices, light aquatics.

She HATES rose, lotus, or anything sweet.

So what do you think is a great herbally, green scent, keeping those things in mind?

Thanks guys!

Mmmm - I love Hemlock too!

Maybe you could investigate some of these for green/herbally?

Yggdrasil

Nocnitsa

Val Sans Retour

Ides of March

(Lots of folks would add Hamadryad and Wolfsbane, I think, though these tend to go floral on me.)

Edited by wolfie13

Golden Priapus is green? I got the impression it would be warm and maybe a little sweet (from the description, I haven't tried it!).

Thanks Wolfie, Nocnitsa sounds interesting :D

See, this is why I ask for recommendations, because I never would have imagined either of those as green, but apparently they are! :P

Ohhhh I'm gonna say The Dormouse ^^

It's very herbaly with a fresh sort of granny smith (but not sweet) scent on the dry down :P

Golden Priapus is green? I got the impression it would be warm and maybe a little sweet (from the description, I haven't tried it!).

to me it was all green goodness....

then again...you know how that body chemistry thingie works.... :P

i just thought of another one...juke joint!! this is one of my top favs!!! :D

Edited by sookster

Phantom Queen is quite fresh, green and lovely. Very spring. The apple blossom note does magnify on me, but in a "golden delicious" kind of way. It is sweet, but not sickeningly so.

Not really an herbal, more of a light "forest" scent, sans fir/pine, which many "forest" scents have.

Although it is not listed, mayhaps Whitechapel might tickle her fancy? Or perhaps Villain? I know my mother, a fan of green scents LOVES Whitechapel.

Hm. Phantom Queen was more sweet and purple on me. Crazy how people's skin chemistry can be so different. That's why it's always so hard for me to buy perfume for other people. I buy things that I'm sure the person will love, and it smells like something entirely different on them.

Eden was very leafy green to me. Val Sans Retour is wonderfully green, but hard to find. I agree that The Dormouse is a lovely green/herbal scent. Envy... Roadhouse (dandelions)...

Envy is an awesome green/mint/lavendar scent, so it sounds like one that your mother might really like.

Good luck :P

Hm.  Phantom Queen was more sweet and purple on me.  Crazy how people's skin chemistry can be so different. 

When I first tried it, it was this way for me too. But, I have tried it since having the baby and it is all fields and apple blossom on me. Gorgeous, just not me at all. Loved it before, can't do it now. Funny how one's nose changes too...

I'll bet a great "lavender" scent that has herbal undertones would be awesome for your mom! I seem to recall a "lavender" thread with tons of rec's. I'll look for it later.

Wolfsbane to me, is similar to Hemlock...but without that citrusy sweetness Hemlock can often have.

Ides of March is such a fresh green scent. It makes me happy just thinking about it. Because she likes mint and a little spice, I think she'd adore this scent. I'm sure you can find it in the swaps somewhere.

Edited by Rheliwen

if you can find it in the swaps or on Ebay, try Whipporwill. it's very green! like smushed up sappy plants that have been jumped on until they are pulped and then that green pulp is put in a little bottle by beth.

green!

n.

I second Judas Kiss's Whitechapel rec - especially since your mom loves lilac. It's fresh and brisk but full of lilacs on me. Nocnitsa is my favorite forest scent, because to me it doesn't smell like evergreens, but the cold air in an evergreen forest... sigh. Ides of March is a wonderful, crisp herbal bouquet and only carries the risk of her falling in love with it, but not being able to find it again... but isn't it better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all? :P

Another scent that I think of as completely green is House of Night. Many people jump to the conclusion that it's a heavy floral because they only skim the poem that inspired it, but when you read it carefully you realize that the bright, heady flowers have all died, and the green trees, herbs and a few pale funereal flowers are all left behind to mourn. It is a deep, dark green scent and just gorgeous.

If she really likes lavender, I would suggest Nanshe. To me it's the most herbaceous of Beth's lavender blends. At times it does have a slight lemony note, but it really does smell like an actual lavender plant to me.

To me, one of the greenest smells in the world is green tea. If she's of similar mind, Shanghai might work.

These are really awesome suggestions guys, thanks so much for the help! Now I have a lot to go from here!

*big hugs all around*

I am absolutely stuck on picking out a scent for my Mom (to be a Christmas gift, and to be

So what do you think is a great herbally, green scent, keeping those things in mind?

Thanks guys!

Mad Hatter this 'twas minty/greenery with a bit of lavender

Ides of March (if you can get this) rosemary, bergamot, lemon rind and vervain with costus, benzoin, gray amber, cardamom, white narcissus and iris.... the cardamom on my was warm and green at the same time

Rome —cypress, juniper, chamomile and rose, though i can't remember how rosey this actually is

Tulzcha (another one that may be difficult to get a hold of) mint mint mint and cucumber

Wilde, Lear, & Villian also may be some to try. they're technically "men's scents," but i find them pretty green and definitely wearable by a woman

Embalming fluid haven't tried this out (yet), but it usually gets good green/herbal/clean reviews

:P

edited because english escapes me

Edited by Diana

Mad Hatter this 'twas minty/greenery with a bit of lavender

Ides of March (if you can get this) rosemary, bergamot, lemon rind and vervain with costus, benzoin, gray amber, cardamom, white narcissus and iris.... the cardamom on my was warm and green at the same time

Rome —cypress, juniper, chamomile and rose, though i can't remember how rosey this actually is

Tulzcha (another one that may be difficult to get a hold of) mint mint mint and cucumber

Wilde, Lear, & Villian also may be some to try. they're technically "men's scents," but i find them pretty green and definitely wearable by a woman

Embalming fluid haven't tried this out (yet), but it usually gets good green/herbal/clean reviews

:P

edited because english escapes me

Thanks Diana! I was wondering about Mad Hatter! I thought about Rome for a while too, but I didn't want to risk the rose since she just despises that smell lol.

Thanks Diana!  I was wondering about Mad Hatter!  I thought about Rome for a while too, but I didn't want to risk the rose since she just despises that smell lol.

FWIW, i find Mad Hatter not very green and more dusky. more like....OK. maybe it's green, but it's like a dark dusty green -- like grey green like the plant Artemesia or Lambs Ears or something. it's not an emerald green.

n.

Definitely second Whippoorwill. It's clean, green, spicy - like the sexy herbal feminine version of Irish Spring soap.

Chiroptera (also dc'ed, but possible to get ahold of) is less green, but it IS a beautiful velvety herbal scent.

(Golden Priapus on me was all pine, btw :P ).