Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Brianne

Recommmendations for Green Scents

For a very fresh green I love Rosalind--it smells just like fresh-cut grass... mmmm!

Also would second Squirting Cucumber.

I recently tried "Nostrum Remedium", and that is just bursting with green freshness for me.

A Universal Panacea!

Revitalizes the spirit and balances the humors! Prolongs life indefinitely!

Black tea leaf, invigorating wasabi extract, sweetened by honey.

Much despair and suffering can be prevented by the discreet use of Doc Constantine’s remedies!

blade of grass is very "green" but it's more of a warmy scent... like laying in the grass on fall day with the sun on your face.
Oh, I'd like to be doing that right now! Thanks for the suggestion.
51 is also fresh...
I will keep that one in mind. Thanks!
I recently tried "Nostrum Remedium", and that is just bursting with green freshness for me.
A Universal Panacea!Revitalizes the spirit and balances the humors! Prolongs life indefinitely!Black tea leaf, invigorating wasabi extract, sweetened by honey.Much despair and suffering can be prevented by the discreet use of Doc Constantine’s remedies!
My humours have been acting wonky lately. I can't lie.Really though, that sounds great. And sinus clearing.

Nero is another very fresh green scent, i'm wearing it now and it smells like rosemary and pine tree sap!

Edited by ian

OK, bumping this thread...

Kalirren is looking for a green scent of a very particular sort. Specifically, he wants the scent of a whole deciduous tree, from top to bottom. Fresh green leaves, bitter wood, optional moss, dirt, and faint flowers. However, he does NOT want any conifers, which rules out a really large chunk of the recs in this thread. Also, excessive vetiver tends to take over on him. The real trick appears to be in finding something that has both these characteristics (no pine, not too much vetiver) and also does not disappear within ten minutes.

He has tried pretty much all the Rappaccini's Garden scents (someof these were good, but all had something unpalatable about them), The Hesperides, a number of the Voodoo scents (closest here was Van Van, which was lovely fresh but did not age well), and probably a handful of others. The current list of likely candidates includes the following:

Arkham

Envy

Ochosi

Rapunzel

Yggdrasil

Any other suggestions?

OK, bumping this thread...

Kalirren is looking for a green scent of a very particular sort. Specifically, he wants the scent of a whole deciduous tree, from top to bottom. Fresh green leaves, bitter wood, optional moss, dirt, and faint flowers. However, he does NOT want any conifers, which rules out a really large chunk of the recs in this thread. Also, excessive vetiver tends to take over on him. The real trick appears to be in finding something that has both these characteristics (no pine, not too much vetiver) and also does not disappear within ten minutes.

He has tried pretty much all the Rappaccini's Garden scents (someof these were good, but all had something unpalatable about them), The Hesperides, a number of the Voodoo scents (closest here was Van Van, which was lovely fresh but did not age well), and probably a handful of others. The current list of likely candidates includes the following:

Arkham

Envy

Ochosi

Rapunzel

Yggdrasil

Any other suggestions?

Me too! Me too! I want this scent too!

But alas, I haven't found it yet. Arkham was too floral, Envy too lavender-y, and Ochosi and Yggdrasil were nice but not quite right. I think a lot of folks would recommend October to you:

October (2007 LE) - Dry, cold autumn wind. A rustle of red leaves, a touch of smoke and sap in the air.

I liked October in its own right, but it didn't give me a deciduous forest feeling. It is, however, a fresh, crisp, green scent, and Kali may like it even if it doesn't quite hit the nail on the head. Robin Goodfellow might be another to try, although it was rather sweet on me:

Robin Goodfellow (Illyria) - Dark musk, moss-covered wood, ragwort, heather, and sage.

Have you peeped in here yet?

Forest and Woods Scents (with & without evergreens)

Gwydion: Cedar is no good, unfortunately, or he'd be able to wear some of mine! Actually, it's probably the worst of the conifers; it amps like crazy and totally swamps out any greenness. He's pretty much given up on all the Coniferae at this point, which is what's making this so difficult.

Apple: I have October 2007, but I actually don't find it to be green or bitter at all -- it's more sap-sweet and full of dry leaves. Interesting that your experience is so dissimilar to this. And Robin Goodfellow, although nice, has far more musk than he's looking for. Probably the closest so far have been Van Van (fresh) and Baneberry. (And I did look through that thread -- that's where I got the recs for Arkham and Ochosi.)

Thanks, both!

Gwydion: Cedar is no good, unfortunately, or he'd be able to wear some of mine! Actually, it's probably the worst of the conifers; it amps like crazy and totally swamps out any greenness. He's pretty much given up on all the Coniferae at this point, which is what's making this so difficult.

Apple: I have October 2007, but I actually don't find it to be green or bitter at all -- it's more sap-sweet and full of dry leaves. Interesting that your experience is so dissimilar to this. And Robin Goodfellow, although nice, has far more musk than he's looking for. Probably the closest so far have been Van Van (fresh) and Baneberry. (And I did look through that thread -- that's where I got the recs for Arkham and Ochosi.)

Thanks, both!

Oh, I wouldn't classify October as "bitter," but on me it is quite green and fresh - a dead ringer for Declaration by Cartier. And Van Van wasn't remotely foresty on me - I got all vetiver, powdery musk, and civet. The mysteries of skin chemistry! :lol: What was missing from October for him?

I agree that Robin Goodfellow might be too musky; it's very powdery on the dry-down for me. I'm guessing that your best bets are probably Yggdrasil and Ochosi, but Arkham might work if he doesn't amp the floral elements.

Let's see... what else? Maybe:

The Norns' Farmhouse
(Gaiman/American Gods) - Dusty, ancient wood, horehound, and sage, with viper's bugloss, mugwort, chamomile, nettle, apple blossom, chervil, and ashes.

Odin
(Excolo) - His scent is dry elm bark, amaranth, warrior’s musk, and Odin’s Nine Herbs of Power.

Thorns
(Marchen) - Thorn-spiked vines, blood, and tears.

Ulalume
(Bewitching Brews) - Starry white lilies lend an eerie brightness to the deep black wooded scents of cypress and oak, layered with a touch of crushed dried leaves and the faintest aquatic note.

The Witches Garden
(Marchen) - Morning glory vines twisting around a patch of rampion, carrot, and parsley, with monkshood, hemlock, elfwort, sage, wormwood, and mandrake.

Yorick
(Illyria) - Grave dirt, bone, decay, angel's trumpet, and moldering scraps of shroud: the essence of finality.

On me, Ulalume started out green and natural smelling, but the lilies quickly took over on my skin - maybe Kali would have better luck. Yorick is similar to Graveyard Dirt (the closet I've found in the general catalogue) and would probably need to be layered with something woody and leafy... but it would give a nice grounding of dirt and moss. I can't remember what Odin was like, and I haven't tried Thorns, The Norns' Farmhouse, or The Witch's Garden yet.

Good luck and do report back with your findings!

I amp pine too, so I totally understand. They always smell good, just not on ME.

Yggdrasil is AWESOME - a fabulous deciduous forest scent, and the best thing ever for wearing out-of-doors, yet I don't get any dirt scent from it if that's what he's looking for. But he should try it anyway. :)

Oooo - you know what? Two Monsters is just like what he's looking for -- while it is wet, especially, much less so when it has dried down. From my notes: "Mossy, trees, earth, the whole forest. Dries to a oakmoss/leather."

For a dry woods (late fall) perhaps Danse Macabre, Aureus, or Fire of Love. There's no green-ness in those, though. Maybe Omen, though it went powdery on me.

Well, he tried Thorns already at Will Call and found it overly brown and dry. I have Yorick and Ulalume, although I think the former was mostly dirt and the latter mostly lilies on him.

October...well, it disappeared really fast, for one thing. But mostly it just didn't have that chlorophyll smell at all -- it had leaves, but they were dead. And then it lasted something like 10 minutes.

However, all the others are going on the list for sure! Odin, The Witch's Garden, The Norns' Farmhouse, Two Monsters. Time to stalk the swaps thread...

Edited by septima_pica

Since this thread got bumped back up, I though I'd give an update. (My very first post was a request for recommendations for green scents, and I got a deluge of awesome suggestions.) I'm sorry it won't help septima_pica, since I don't think any of them quite fit what they're looking for.

So far of the ones folks suggested, I tried:

Hemlock - as advertised, very green and fresh. I've only tried this once, so I'll be testing it again.

Strangler Fig - struck me more golden-brown than green, but after a couple of wearings is now one of my three favorites. :D

Mag Mell - only tried once, but it was on a day when I was already headache-y from the sun, and the florals in it didn't help. To be re-tested.

Some other green/fresh scents I've tried that were not suggested:

Cathode - minty, fresh and invigorating, but after a second wearing revealed a bug-spray-ish note that I'm not loving.

Burial - Camping in a damp forest. the trees, the dirt, a hint of flowers. Septima_pica, this is the one I wish I could suggest for you, but it's all conifers, unfortunately.

There are a whole lot of suggestions on this thread that I am looking forward to trying. Thanks again for all the recs!

Well, he tried Thorns already at Will Call and found it overly brown and dry. I have Yorick and Ulalume, although I think the former was mostly dirt and the latter mostly lilies on him.

October...well, it disappeared really fast, for one thing. But mostly it just didn't have that chlorophyll smell at all -- it had leaves, but they were dead. And then it lasted something like 10 minutes.

However, all the others are going on the list for sure! Odin, The Witch's Garden, The Norns' Farmhouse, Two Monsters. Time to stalk the swaps thread...

Ah, for the chlorophyll scent, I'd go for A Blade of Grass:

A Blade of Grass
(2008 LE) - Autumn leaves scattered among blades of grass.

Some others that might have layering potential:

Amsterdam
(Wanderlust) - Tulips, peony, fresh flowing water and crisp green grasses.

The Apothecary
(Illyria) - Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig.

House of Night
(Ars Moriendi) - A sorrowful graveyard bouquet of somber blooms, funereal boughs, dismal green and laden with grief.

Sunflower
(The Salon) - Sunflower bouquet, black amber, creeping black moss, wilted greenery, and scorched, dry stems.

And a couple of the "Who Killed Amanda Palmer?" scents look promising:

Floater
(WKAP) - Murky water, rotting leaves, and silt.

Leaf-Strewn Couch
(WKAP) - Dust, decaying fabric, dead leaves, and concrete.

Manus Dei (or the Typewriter Incident)
(WKAP) - Weeds, dirt, red clay, scattered groceries, inked fabric ribbon, machine oil, and cast steel.

Unexpected Golf Hazard
(WKAP) - A freshly mowed teeing ground.

I am personally lusting after Leaf-Strewn Couch. It sounds AMAZING.

ETA Manus Dei to the list of WKAP scents.

Edited by Apple

I have Blade of Grass too, and he tried it, but it smelled potently of celery! It was really weird, since it doesn't do that on me at all. Hemlock, though, I don't know if he tried that.

And -- oh man, I don't even want to get into the WKAP stuff. :lol: I actually really want to try the first three you mention there, too, but...yeah. Not getting into those until I can test the decants, since I don't live in CA anymore and so can't do the will call sniffy thing.

I have Blade of Grass too, and he tried it, but it smelled potently of celery! It was really weird, since it doesn't do that on me at all. Hemlock, though, I don't know if he tried that.

And -- oh man, I don't even want to get into the WKAP stuff. :lol: I actually really want to try the first three you mention there, too, but...yeah. Not getting into those until I can test the decants, since I don't live in CA anymore and so can't do the will call sniffy thing.

Celery?! That is so bizarre. I have heard of certain scents doing that to people, but I have yet to experience it myself. I loathe celery, so I hope I never do! Poor Kalirren.

I've never tried Hemlock, but I'm thinking maybe I need to.

I've been following the "Who Killed Amanda Palmer" BPAL series thread, and I think you are prudent to wait on decants. It sounds like the initial release of the scents got off to a rocky start and that they're still working out the kinks.

Edited by Apple

hellooo green scent lovers. <3 i've been looking for a scent that encapsulates the idea of wet grass after the rain and seemingly "garden path with chickens" sounds like a pretty good bet for that. however, i was just wondering, is the greenery in that blend similar to the green-ness at the beginning of rose red? i didn't like the greenery in RR at all (i have the '08 version), it was too... sharp. so if garden path is going to smell anything like that, i'm going to be devastated. :(

hellooo green scent lovers. <3 i've been looking for a scent that encapsulates the idea of wet grass after the rain and seemingly "garden path with chickens" sounds like a pretty good bet for that. however, i was just wondering, is the greenery in that blend similar to the green-ness at the beginning of rose red? i didn't like the greenery in RR at all (i have the '08 version), it was too... sharp. so if garden path is going to smell anything like that, i'm going to be devastated. :(

I've not sniffed Rose Red, but Garden Path with Chickens was quite sharp on me. If that one doesn't work out for you, you might try:

Amsterdam
(Wanderlust) - Tulips, peony, fresh flowing water and crisp green grasses.

A Blade of Grass
(2008 LE) - Autumn leaves scattered among blades of grass.

Floater
(
) - Murky water, rotting leaves, and silt.

Graveyard Dirt
(2005 LE, resurrected 2008) - This is the scent of pure graveyard dust, spattered with grave loam and dusted lightly with tombstone moss.

Mag Mell
(Wanderlust) - The warmth of amber, the puissance of white ginger and the clarity of verbena, with fresh green grass, lush sage and cleansing droplets of summer rain.

The Potter's Field
(Gaiman/The Graveyard Book) - Rich loam, fragrant grasses, murky vetiver, wild herbs, and dry cedar bark.

Rosalind
(Illyria) - Dew-covered berries and fresh green grasses with a faint breath of spring flowers.

Unexpected Golf Hazard
(
) - A freshly mowed teeing ground.

Yorick
(Illyria) - Grave dirt, bone, decay, angel's trumpet, and moldering scraps of shroud: the essence of finality.

I find that the BPAL "dirt"/"loam" note smells very damp, like wet ground after a rain. Maybe try layering Yorick (Graveyard Dirt would be even better) with one of the "grassy" scents?

Edited by Apple

amsterdam sounds like a dream! i love all the notes in it and that's quite rare for a blend. i wonder how it managed to slip past me till now. and i like the idea of layering grass with one of the dirt/loam scents. yorick's going to go on my never-ending BPAL wishlist, ohoho.

thanks for your recs, sweets!!

A new rec for deep-earthy-foresty: Greed. I know, I know, it doesn't make any sense based on the name. But it is great!

(bump)

I've found that "green" scents are my most troublesome scent family. I can do evergreen, but put me in grassy/leafy (herbal?) or--shudder--aquatic territory, and within an hour or sometimes less, it develops a bitter, scorched and unpleasant overtone. (This is a skin chemistry issue that has plagued me since I tried a scent called "Freesia" in college from Bath and Body Works. Great on my cousin, horrible on me!) The "snow" note, in particular, seems to have had a helping hand in ruining many a blend that I had such high hopes for... sigh.

On the other hand, the evergreens are just wonderful for me. In particular, I've loved:

Golden Priapus

Illustrated Woman

Nero

Has anyone else had this "greens" problem? Any recommendations for other outside-the-box green scents that might be OK? (dandelion, for instance, seems to stay true on me) What about other evergreen scents?

Grassy green scents don't work for me, either; they go all fake-smelling. For evergreens, I'd suggest:

Nocnitsa, Black Forest, Loup Garou, Slobbering Pine, Jabberwocky, The Jersey Devil, Thanatopsis, Yew-Trees, and Bayou.

The three scents you list all have pine and nothing else evergreen -- more pine-centric scents might be a good place to start.

Edited by fiddledragon

*snip*

Has anyone else had this "greens" problem? Any recommendations for other outside-the-box green scents that might be OK? (dandelion, for instance, seems to stay true on me) What about other evergreen scents?

I have trouble with what I think of as "bug spray note" ruining otherwise good blends. Moss and yew seem to be the main culprits, as far as I can surmise. (Yew Trees, unsurprisingly, was not the best on me.) Hemlock and The Witch's Garden were two greens that I tried that were ok, but had a cleaning-product vibe on me. I second fiddledragon's suggestion of Jabberwocky - it's so happy; a pine forest on a sunny summer day. Another that might work is Burial, which is trees, dirt, and a hint of flowers. Also, when I was a newbie looking for green scents, several folks recommended that I try Strangler Fig, and I owe them a thank you! I think of it as golden brown rather than "green," but it's sweet, earthy, and beautiful.

If you are considering LEs, slightly aged 2009 Pumpkin III is something I just fell in love with, and it's pretty out of the box - the notes are pumpkin, fir needle, pitch, rosemary, and tomato. On me it's all fresh tomato leaf and stems. It's quite sharp, but not in a way that goes bitter or bad at all on me. Good luck on your search and let us know how it goes!

reading through the thread now, but I've been trying to find a deep green, leafy scent. I thought once upona time it was Strangler Fig, but then it stopped working on me (hunting it don to retry now)