Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jewelbug

Looking for a BPAL similar to a Clinique Fragrance

Oh! Okay, adding that to my wishlist. Thanks! My own preference for scents do go near that area, so my imps are pretty far from the mark, chypre-wise.

And actually, I was wearing Red Lantern today and I think it sort of "feels" like Aromatics Elixir. Hm. I might have to let my mother try this stuff. :P

Now that I've gotten to be better friends with oakmoss and chypres...

The Lab's oakmoss seems to start out *very* intensely green. As it ages it picks up that golden ambery kind of scent that's characteristic of some of the classic chypres. Most chypres have a base that includes oakmoss, vanilla or amber, and musk. They'll also tend to have middle notes that include rose and jasmine, and top notes will almost always include bergamot.

It's not unusual for chypres to have patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, cedar, tonka bean or other similarly green/woodsy/vanillic scents in the mix.

Since the Lab's scents are very fresh, if you're looking for a scent with a classic chypre feel it may take some aging. I'm finding it takes around 8 months for an oakmoss heavy scent to develop the ambery feel that it ought to have. So far, every scent I've tried with moss in the description has turned out to have oakmoss in it, so this search may help you out.

I don't know about Aromatics Elixir in particular, but Guerlain's Mitsouko is an oakmossy scent, and I've found The Caterpillar to be very similar. TC also has vetiver as an ingredient.

For someone who likes scents that combine moss/green/incense with floral, I'd definitely give The Caterpillar a try. It's probably the closest you'll get to a "chypre" in BPAL.

Edited by Chrysantza

And actually, I was wearing Red Lantern today and I think it sort of "feels" like Aromatics Elixir. Hm. I might have to let my mother try this stuff. :P

Yes, I've found that the late drydown of Red Lantern is A LOT like Aromatics Elixir, which just made me love RL that much more!

necrobump! my mom is/was a HUGE fan of simply, but it has been discontinued. i am looking for mother's day and b-day presents for her...anything bpal that has that lovely soy/soy milk note?

Sign in to follow this