Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Les Infortunes de la Vertu

A pain-tinged, pleasure-soaked blend of leather, oakmoss, orange blossom, amber, and rose with a breath of virginal French florals and a hint of austere monastic penitential incense.

I found Les Infortunes unfortunately muddled on me.

In the imp it was surprisingly masculine, although it took a few sniffs to pin that to the leather scent. On the skin the citrus was much more noticeable with the moss bringing a nice green depth to it... and from there it kind went downhill for me, as an odd waft of floral joined the party. The manly suggestion of cologne with the pocket full of posies was just too at odds for me (and I'm usually a fan of unisex scents). A while later it had further mellowed to an almost woodsy amber scent; quite pleasant actually, but it seemed like a lot of work to get there!

Too heavy to be casual, too floral to be butch; this one just didn't make sense to me. I'll be passing it to the Man who has completely different body chemistry than I to try.

Clean leather with a little bit of floral and a healthy dash of incense. Very manly. I think of men's deodorant when I smell this. Smells just how I would want Mr. DC to smell after a hot shower.

It's super faint on my skin, but what I can smell IS that of a clean man :lol:

Leather and floral soap, straight up

Leather dominates on me. It dries down to a nice, flowery, spicy, sexy smell. Reminds me of a favorite from Crabtree and Evelyn called Azzemour.

In the Imp: leathery cologne

Wet on Skin: cologne; uninspiring

While Drying: No florals are apparent, unless they are part of a fougere-type cologne base. I definitely don't smell any rose or orange blossom. This is one of the better leather notes on me, but I'm not a huge fan of leather.

After a Little While: This is a man-on-a-date scent. It smells like freshly showered, freshly shaved, man wearing cologne, and possibly wearing a leather hat. Not terrible, but not for me. The Boy was not a fan of the scent either.

Les Infortunes de la Vertu earns a 2.5/5 on my skin. (the imp tested was at least 3 years old)

The Lab's Leather note causes, erm, twitching from this experience.

Every other note (aside from French florals only because it's too vague) provokes an equally strong visceral response.
Being Francophonically challenged, the best guess at a rough translation of this particular formula's title would be, 'these of an unfortunate virtue'. This, in and of itself, piques an abundance of curiosity... Purchasing 5 mL of the stuff, untested, seemed a necessity.
From the Bottle: Um,

*"O" face*

Where, even, to begin begets apoplexy!
Les Infortunes De La Vertu is GOOD! Wrongfully so...There is such an apocalyptic collision course of splendidly, garishly indecent fragrances in this formula, it is difficult to even begin to describe.
For many, it would be all too easy for Les Infortunes De La Vertu to surge right to the very top of the favourites list, whether it be from His or Her perspective.
Incense, Leather, Amber, and Neroli dominate the very first impression. So flawlessly blended, these will have lower lips trembling to do the unspeakable bidding of the steamiest dom imaginable, or lick lips with the anticipation of wielding the cat-o-nine-tails themselves.
Oakmoss floats on the very edge of the melee, lounging like an aristocratic voyeur. Surprisingly, the Rose and the French florals are uncharacteristically timid at this phase; completely inconspicuous.
On the Skin: The Leather is outright merciless.
The Oakmoss and Amber reconcile with one another's prowess in order to share a second-place spot under Leather's dominion.
A note that must be the French florals surfaces. Strangely, while potent in their own way, the florals smell more like a boquet that has been used to torment the body of a lover; tracing moist, taut, and quivering flesh on the verge of explosion.

There is no small measure of raunch and filthy-mindedness here.
This is cruel and candied whoredom.
This is the underbelly to twitch against and suckle from.
This is the inadequate cloak of the secreter.
This is a boozy leather jacket.
This is a green velvet dress with a wet spot.
This is a carpet burn on the small of your back that you're secretly reminded of all day.
This is crushed greenery fresh from an illicit toussle in the woods behind the gymnasium.
Les Infortunes De La Vertu is a Pandora's Box of unmitigated naughtiness.
When you're done here, they're going to have to burn the confessional.

On Her, Les Infortunes De La Vertu is an unforgiveable mynx.
This is swivel-hipped, painted-eyed, Babylonian abandon.
This is suffocation on ecstacy.
On Him, Les Infortunes De La Vertu is an unholy menace.
This is a strong-handed, Leather-clad, smoldering, chiseled torso of a screaming puddle of sweet release.
Les Infortunes De La Vertu is one of the Lab's formulas that might make it hard to look anyone in the eye while wearing for fear of consequences and moral implications alike.
Les Infortunes De La Vertu is is NOT to be worn irresponsibly!

The Wife: "I like it, it smells like English Lather soap."

The Self: "English Leather soap?"

The Wife: "English LATHER soap... It's Old-Lady soap"

*resumes adoring the laptop*

There is a shortage white flags to wave, but the sentiment that Les Infortunes De La Vertu kicks total butt will stand unsullied as the result.
Splendidly 5.75 out of 5!

Frimp from the Lab.

Wet: Whoa, spilled some all over my hands. Whoa, leather. Have never tried a leather perfume before, so is a bit distracted by that. Was going to write that nothing else gets through, but there it is. The dreaded rose. I think I get some orange blossom as well, because this scent feels orange-brown. Sharp and spiky.

Drydown: Still sharp and spiky upfront, but there's a sweetness (the oakmoss? the incense?) — and a slight soapiness, whatever that is — underneath. Leather keeps on dominating the scent.

Dry: Lots and lots of leather, some sharp florals and a little bit of incense. Eh. I get this image of a manly manly man in my head, and it's not something I particularly like.

Keep: No

Bottle: No

Wet: smokey and a blackened burgundy feel. Looking at the ingredients, I think the incense, amber, and oakmoss are amping. It's nice but not very strong.

Drydown: the french virginal florals and leather win. Surprising to say the least! Color impression turns wavy white with purple, blue and amber shafts of light.

This one smelled odd to me at first until I realized it was the leather. I've never had a leather scent work on me before.

Mmmmm, leather and florals, with just a hint of the amber and the incense might be peeking its head up. Masculine, but not totally so. Must try this one on the BF...

In vial: Leathery, seems quite artificial.

Wet: I get some orange blossom and florals but mostly leather. It reminds me of new car smell, but the fake kind from those scented trees.

Dry: The florals kick in more, but do nothing to improve my opinion of this one.

Verdict: Just not my style. The leather/floral combo confuses my nose too much - this seems disjointed to me.

I got this as a frimp from the lab.

In the imp: Hmm...much stronger than I expected, though nice. Like a man's cologne a woman could get away with wearing. The orange blossom is definitely present.

Wet on skin: Very soapy, although every "white" flower smell goes dial bar soap on me. I was hoping the leather in this could make it work.

Dry on skin: There's the leather! A very fresh, new kind of leather scent though, not the dry and dusty kind. I smell the flowers, which are quite sweet, along with a very faint hint of spice/incense. The scent is still overall very fresh smelling. It's like wearing brand new leather pants on Easter Sunday though--a little odd, but it could work. I'm going to keep my imp, as I don't think this is quite big bottle worthy.

In the bottle: Ooo! Lovely! Rich incense and heady florals, but not sweet. And leather as a supporting note!

Wet: Okay, there’s the sweeter florals, but not sickly or cloyingly sweet. And the amber and orange blossom are picking up in strength. Leather has faded. I recognize this from somewhere in my past, but I’m not sure where.

Dry: Aaaaand there’s the rose. And I remember where I’ve smelled this before: one of my Grandmother’s friends used to get this very fancy French-milled soap. It was lovely and creamy and smelled just like this! I think I’m going to hold on to this one. Not as something to wear, but this is definitely going into sachets to go into the linen closet! :D

I was looking at the notes I jotted down the first time I tested Les Infortunes de la Vertu, and all I wrote down was "leather + orange blossom + oakmoss = WIN". And that just about sums it up, for me. :)

The drydown is a bit soapy, but it's like a complex, old-fashioned, sophisticated sort of soap. It's a bit heavier on the floral notes than most of the scents I wear, but I think the leather balances it out nicely. I do wish that the oakmoss were a little bit more noticeable. The lasting power is great on me, and the throw is VERY strong... Les Infortunes is definitely not a scent that requires slathering.

4/5, definitely thinking about getting a 5ml with my next order.

I don't get a lot of the florals with this one. Just like previous reviews have mentioned it gets a little soapy, but for me it's a clove kind of spice with musky leather and teensy bit of the orange. This is a heavier perfume, so I think it's more suited for evenings.

This kind of scent is not usually for me, but it's definitely a winner and I'd love it on a man.

Hmm...leather can be a bit ash-trayish on me, and amber tends to go powdery, but this sounds like it could be a very pretty scent (though maybe not on my skin). In the imp, this is sort of a tangy, sharp leather scent with a touch of sweet florals.

Oof, yes, on my skin this is a mixture of black leather, oakmoss, sweet florals, and incense. It's actually rather nice. The leather isn't quite so ashtray-ish on my skin, and it loses that harsh tang it had in the imp. This scent definitely leans on the dark/mysterious/sexy side of things, and wouldn't be a cheerful everyday office scent. I know some find the dichotomy between leather and pretty florals jarring, but I actually think it's quite nice. Up close it's all RAWR leather, from it's sweet florals and incense over light base of leather.

Dries down a bit powdery, but not so much so that it becomes unwearable. A sweet powdery floral leather (as odd as that sounds). I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would!

In the imp: I think all I'm getting is oakmoss - bitter and herbal.

Wet on skin: Still very bitter and herbal.

Dried down: It's softening a little bit as it dried down, but not really changing otherwise.

Throw: Almost none, but I'm kind of glad of that.

Verdict: ** Yeah, not for me.

ITI: Hmm, it's a balanced blend of purple French florals, leather, incense, and orange blossom to my nose.

Wet: It has an almost caramelized brown sugar quality to it under paper orange blossom, incense, and stronger florals, but I'm not getting leather on my skin. I wasn't expecting the paper tone, but I do hope the leather note shows up as it dries.

Dry: Ah, there's the leather surrounded by the powdery, resinous tone of amber, flanked by lilac and another purple flower that is not as distinct. I'll be keeping this one.

This starts off as a lovely unisex cologne of florals tinged with leather, but unfortunately ends up smelling like band aid on me after dry down.

In the imp: The oakmoss note is the strongest note I'm getting from the imp. I can smell a bit of the leather, orange blossom, and amber, but I'm not getting much else.

Wet: Oakmoss, leather, and orange blossom are the notes I smell first. The oakmoss is pretty strong, and so is the leather note. The combination of these two notes is very heavy, and not very appealing to my nose. It's like being buried under a lot of leather jackets (not well-worn ones) while lying on a bed of moss. Ughhh.

Dry: The floral notes begin to emerge during this phase, although the oakmoss and leather are still very strong. The floral notes make the scent seem less dark, and the leather note is softer now.

Verdict: I just can't stand the leather and oakmoss combination at all. This one is going on my swap page.

I get mainly leather and incense, with a backdrop of flowers - they are very faint, though.

I have now tested this a few times, and it seems to really grow on me :smile:

It fits the concept very well; it is a kind of kinky, creepy scent, and if you're afraid of the florals, you have no need to be, because they are firmly in the background, at least on me.

Throw is pretty good, and staying power is good too.

Wet: Soft, pretty florals. Slightly soapy, but nice. The leather comes through after a moment, and it's the kind that I like. The flowers quickly fade, and I am left with leather and something vaguely smoky. Interesting.

Dry: Dusty leather single note. Quite nice! I think I would adore this on a man, but it's not really for me.

I'm not sure what's going on here: this smells so strange.

The dominant note on me is oakmoss, I guess -- but the whole blend is a jumble of some notes disagreeing, and others diluting each other out. So I seem to get oakmoss, a whiff of leather, a backdrop of thick, chalky floral soap, and a sense of the Void -- a thinned-out emptiness where fragrance was probably supposed to be.

Later, it's chalky floral soap.

Soft florals, and something musky in the background. Floral, with a bit of a bad edge to it. I like it, but not well enough to upgrade. I wish there were more amber and leather present here.

There are two "bad" notes (for me) in here, but actually this one is behaving pretty well. I even like it, and quite a lot at that. The leather is definitely present, but it's the same subdued leather as in Whip, almost a suede. In fact this reminds me very much of Whip, but sweeter and more powdery. The floral side of things is mostly orange blossom, although I do amp it so it may just be hiding the other stuff. The amber is surprisingly behaving and just provides some warmth and lightly powdery spice along with the incense. This reminds me of that perfume I have in my collection with flowers and leather (Hermes Kelly Caleche, for those curious) much more strongly than Whip does, although it's sweeter and has less fruit. There's an animalic bite lurking in the background that could easily get louder with some extra heat.

Because it's so similar to something I already have it's probably not a full bottle, however the one it reminds me of is a top-five favorite! This is very well blended and quite lovely, definitely a "classic" kind of perfume.

Ohhhh, I like this. I can't tell you anything specific about the individual notes. It's so well blended and sexy, so very sexy. This is going on my list with Whip and Perversion as my go-to scents for when I want to feel sexy.