Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Czernobog

Created in honor of the Slavic Black God of the Dead. A nighttime god of grief, evil, chaos and woe, he is paralleled by his twin brother Bylebog, god of light, joy, order, and good fortune. A combination of three musks, with splashes of dark myrrh, vetiver and mullein.

I received a frimp of this from the Lab with my most recent purchase. It isn't something I likely would've bought for myself, because when I read the description it seemed more like a masculine scent.

In the imp, it smells EXACTLY like my favorite New Age shop! It's really funny; I have a drawer full of candles and other items from that shop, and since it's always closed unless I need something, I smell the shop when I open the drawer. This imp smells exactly the same! I love it.

On the skin, it loses some of that sweetness (I'm guessing that was the mullein) but is still very nice. I do wonder how it would smell on a guy.

After awhile, it becomes very clear that one of the musks involved is red musk. I amp red musk like there's no tomorrow, so it's practically all I can smell. I do like red musk, though...

Verdict: I think I want a larger bottle. I wish that initial "New Age" scent had stuck around, but maybe the red musk will die down a bit on aging.

I've been wearing this a lot lately and had come to think of it as a "green" scent -- imagine my surprise when I checked the description today and saw not one single green note (unless you count mullein, which is an herb). Now that I'm paying attention, it's more dark and sweet than green. I'll venture to guess that the three musks are black, brown, and red -- that's the order I can smell them in, from strongest to weakest. Those are the main notes I'm getting, along with a dash of myrrh. No vetiver, which is too bad. I'm not surprised this isn't a more popular scent -- it has a lot in common with Iago and Dracul, two of my favorites, but it's much less traditionally masculine than either of those, so don't be scared off of this one.

This is Snake Oil without the drydown to powdered ass. I'm quite happy! All you folks regaling us with tales of Czernobog ickiness can just slide your imps my way. :P

Like many other people, this was all lemon pledge/lemon cleaner on me. I tried to hold out on the drydown, and it did get a little better, but I just couldn't get past the initial lemon cleaner scent. I got it in an Ebay imp lot so not a big loss here.

Lab frimp. Ah, I get the Snake Oil comparison, but this is somehow less cuddly, a little more lemony, but still definitely that rounded, velvety musk that is reminiscent of Snake Oil. I'm not sure I'd take Czernobog over Snake Oil, but perhaps if you'd like SO but less powdery, a little fresher, Czernobog might be your thing.

Scents like this one, Voodoo, Queen and Horn of Plenty are soooo good... I. Freaking. Love. Them. They have a cola deliciousness that I've been told is from myrrh. So, yay for myrrh, and yay for Czernobog's deliciousness!!

ETA:

Omg... I got out of the shower and put this on again. I think I need a full bottle... It's like bottled lust. I can't stop inhaling my own wrist and just rubbing my nose along my skin. It's soooo freaking good, y'all. This frimp was the best part of my order. I want to slather the man in this.

Edited by SunsetKay

Wet: Whoo! Pine! doing that nose clearing thing! Lol. Wait, after reading the notes - WHY do I smell like a tree? I don't know what mullein smells like, maybe that's what I am smelling. Sure smells like pine!

Dry: It dries down to a light, dark, murky-sweet musk. I enjoy it!

At first my nose read "dirty lime" but then it was to more of pine smell, like LizziesLuck experienced. Dry there's still a pine-like quality with smoky vetiver, but it's somewhat softened by the sweet musks.

I dug up the imp again, it's a very aged imp by now. Is that why I am smelling... dragon blood? Vetiver, myrrh, (musk too I think) and dragon blood. It's great, but if I would buy a bottle would it smell like this?

Well I mainly got this one because I'm familiar with Czernobog as the villain from Fantasia's 'Night on Bald Mountain' sequence. I thought it sounded cool and got some interesting reviews, plus I haven't really tried many musk-based scents yet so it was on my to-try list. I really liked it right away, it was sweet and resinous, pretty and smoky. It reminded me quite a bit of Dracul in feel actually. I like both and I'm not sure if I could pick a favorite. They both amp smoky-sweet and mysterious on me. Dracul is a bit stronger but I applied Czernobog hesitantly (i.e., a reasonable amount and not my usual slathering) because the reviews said it was strong and leaned masculine. Next time I'll apply more like I typically do to get a better idea of its wear length and throw.

I really wanted to like this, I really did, and the description certainly caught my imagination. Alas, as minutes passed since application, it turned quite unpleasant. It is rather similar, but less pleasing in my opinion, than Thanatopsis.

Wet, this is menthol and cedar, with the overall effect of a strong cleaning product. Very chemical-ly. It tapers off into something more pleasant, but it's just not worth the menthol up front.

Edited by TheresaRedSkull

I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I do from the imp! Dark, woody and broody. On my skin it starts morphing a bit and goes slightly chemical, which I'm guessing is the myrhh's fault (it's myrhh but really sweet)? Or maybe it's the mullein but I have no idea what that's supposed to smell like.

The vetiver is ...there... but not to the point where it's making me want to cut off my arm.

Actually, it reminds me a tad, and just a tad of Reptoid dominion, one of my faves. Though, this one is more sweet in a heady way and slightly less green. I certainly don't hate this. Definately wet, heady, dark and new-agy but sweet with a touch of something minty.

In the imp: A dark, musky pine. I wonder if there's a combination of notes in this producing that scent, if pine is an unlisted note, or if my imp is just mislabeled? Or maybe it's the mullein. I'm not familiar with that note.

Wet: To me, this still smells like dark musks (I am thinking black musk, dark musk, and civet) mixed with pine.

Dry: The musks continue to reign, and the pine aspect I was getting from the wet phase isn't as strong now that the scent is dry. I get some of the myrrh now, being its powder-y, myrrh-y self on me. Oddly enough, I'm not getting the vetiver from this.

Verdict: This one is more pleasant than I thought it would be, but it's ultimately too heavy on the musk for me.

a frimp from the BPTP. i'm kind of surprised i've never tried this. it's a musky dark myrrh with hints of vetiver. very nice, though i think likely nicer on my boyfriend...will have to try it on him.

I've been wearing Czernobog for years and it's probably my all time sleeper bpal hit.

It's musky but clean, and clean but deliciously dark. On my skin it barely morphs and just dries down to a slightly quieter version of itself. This is one of those wrist huffers, where hours later I'm still burying my nose in my own wrist and breathing deep. Of the musks, the one I smell most distinctly is black musk. The myrrh in this is my perfect myrrh, and in no other blend does it work as well. The mullein is the only real change the scent goes through, very present when wet and then receding into the background.

I'm kind of shocked I haven't reviewed it before? I don't like wearing this in the dripping high summer heat, but any other time, it's lovely.

Oh, this is warm and cozy. I'm definitely not getting any citrus or green notes in this like some others have; it has a slight spice, slight sweetness, and I just feel enveloped in warmth. It's a dreary rainy November day and I felt this fit the mood perfectly. This was a frimp, and I'll be purchasing a bottle.

I retested Czernobog last night as I was pulling a neighboring imp out of my swap box and have developed much more tolerance for vetiver than when I first tried it.  It is indeed dark and somewhat harsh at first.  I too got the menthol note, probably mullein, which google informs me is used in cough serum.  So dark musky cough syrup with harsh, smoky vetiver.  One of the musks must be red or red-aligned because it and the vetiver just ganged up on me, as they have done in other blends.  I wasn't really getting much myrrh; it was all red musky vetiver, with terrific throw, and I could still smell it on my wrist this morning.  It's better than I remember, but I amp that musk-vetiver combination too much for my comfort.

This scent makes me think of:

It's late, and you've walked through a seedy part of town seeking some mystical supplies. You ducked into a shop with a door barely taller than yourself. It's dark, and a censer of myrrh clogs the shop's air. Dark red wood shelves filled with dried herbs crowd against innumerable wood and metal apparatuses. 

The proprietor steps out from a backroom and offers you a cup of bitter tea. By the time you finish your cup you find the bottom filled with honey, and the air is sweeter too. The proprietor smiles, ready to do business. 

In the imp: I was wary of this scent after reading a few reviews, and my caution was well warranted. I got hit with a faceful of dark musk, shortly followed by myrrh and vetiver. A very masculine scent, something about the combination of myrrh and vetiver does not play around.

On my skin: The vetiver is very bitter when wet, although the dark musk helps drag it back down. When dry, smells to me like myrrh at a fresh grave near some pines, but not mourning or funereal. A trip for sure, but I think not for me. 

I sort of like this; I like everything in this individually, but together, it's all just a bit off. The myrrh adds a sweetish, cloying edge that makes it less appealing. It's one of those I will probably test over and over but I don't think this will ever really land. So close!

Ahhhh I don't know what happened, I think this imp has overaged because I smell some sort of poopiness. I'm aware that I have access to an adult vocabulary but that is seriously what comes to mind. I had high hopes because I like a good musk, especially red, but I had to go wash this off immediately.

In the imp it smells lovely, and the color is stunning. But something icky happens immediately on my skin. Blech. Why poopy? 😭

Edited by skyturtles

Frimp with purchase through Forum. Not sure of age. 

In the imp: For sure myrrh along with some other notes. You could convince me of black musk and vetiver. 

On my skin:

The oil is definitely dark and thick, like an aged Snake Oil or Vixen. There's definitely vetiver going on in this, though. As it dries, the throw does get a little of the slinky, vegetal musk Snake Oil vibe. But if I put my nose to my elbow crook, it is vetiver all the way. 

As someone who loves Snake Oil but is not a vetiver fan, this perfume is a tease.