Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Czernobog

Created in honor of the Slavic Black God of the Dead. A nighttime god of grief, evil, chaos and woe, he is paralleled by his twin brother Bylebog, god of light, joy, order, and good fortune. A combination of three musks, with splashes of dark myrrh, vetiver and mullein.

Sniffed: Myrrh darkened with heavy musks, and a slightly dirty note that I can't quite identify.

On skin: I immediately thought of Wings of Azrael when I put this on. Both are solemn, full, evergreen-touched, myrrh-heavy scents, but Czernobog is definitely darker, heavier and less floral than Wings of Azrael. This is heavy, deep musks sweetened by myrrh, overlaid with a thinner, dirt-like note that may be one of the musks or mullein. This note threatens to go sour and sharp, but thankfully the heavier notes are pulling it down, and it disappears after drydown. The vetiver is extremely discreet, and indeed there is the barest touch of evergreen/pine in here (as was in Wings of Azrael). I'm only smelling the gentler, calmer aspect of this god of night: this scent is enveloping not stifling, warm not cold. Overall a cozy dark musk, tending towards the masculine but still light enough to be unisex. Colour impression is the darkest black-brown.

Verdict: I like Czernobog and think it's a great representation of its namesake deity, but prefer Wings of Azrael as it is a bit lighter and floral.

Bumping to show some love for Czernobog. I think this was a frimp from my very first order and I finally got around to putting in a bottle order recently. Looking at the early reviews, I would have never thought in a million years it would be this good. Considering the notes I'm picking up, I would have never thought I'd like it either, but it works! Somehow limey, piney cola becomes this cuddly velvety darkness that is wonderfully reassuring. Death apparently has a softer side.

Edited by rinster

Yup, it's a year after my first imp and Czernobog is one of my very favorite scents. I have two bottles of it so I won't run out.

Earlier this year I played a suave murderer in DEATHTRAP, and wore Czernobog every night as my character scent....

I've been sniffing my hand for a couple of minutes solidly, so it can't be bad. It's not good, either, however. Complex, resiney, I can definitely smell pine, but I wish vetiver wasn't there. Vetiver doesn't agree with me :wub2:

Got this one from a friend, and I just have to say that I love it.

I wasn't certain how a darker scent would work on me, but I decided to give it a try and wasn't disappointed.

In the bottle it smells almost sweet, but definitely deep and dark thanks to the musk. And what is that, a hint of what, eucalyptus?

On me it starts incredibly strong, but mellows out really nicely. The way a friend described it was that she could definitely smell it on me but it didn't "hit her over the head". She- along with a couple other friends I was with- could not stop sniffing me, haha.

Czernobog stays a sweet dark musk that just smells delicious and lasts for hours.

This one is definitely a favourite of mine now.

Once I order these, I never remember what's in them. So I've decided to make trying them 'blind' a thing, because I figure that's how anyone else who smells it would approach it. I'm not very good at picking apart scents, so I just wrote down my impression as they were. I did remember that I was especially looking forward to Czernobog and this is the first scent that's paid off!

First Sniff: light menthol and a sticky red fruit. I love it, but as things normally change drastically on me, I'll withhold my excitement.

Second Sniff: It seems softer now, I think the 'menthol' is pine. I also think there's some musk.

Wet: juicy, sticky, red fruit at the top, but there's a biting, woody smell behind it. It's like a combo of cedar and pepper. It's too late, I'm getting excited.

Dry (30 mins): there's still that round, fruit glazing, but suddenly there's also a deep and murky undertone. This is the darkest scent I've tried, which is great because 'dark and deep' is what I want! I get an image in my mind of some red fruit, sitting in a wooden bowl on a table in some vast and dark mediaeval hall. The grey stones make the air inside freezing, adding a nice bite to the smell of the fruits.

Dry (1 hour): Uh oh. It's already going powdery. No,no! Please don't go away delicious smell!

Dry (2 hours): Dry, dusty powder. It's a nice powder, but pretty boring. I think it's Myrrh, as this happened in the last myrrh scent I tried. Such a pity! This was so close to perfect.

Throw: none.

Colour association: Red, Black and Green.

I got my dad to sniff my wrist in the latter stages, and this was his opinion:

Pop: "That's a woman's scent."

He liked it, but then he likes musky-type perfumes because that's what my mother wore. This is the first scent I seriously considered purchasing a bottle for, even though it's not exactly what I'm looking for, just because it was so delicious. Because it powders so quick I think I'll hold off though, but I'll definitely use the whole imp.

Edit: Changed the colour association after multiple wearings when I realised I was thinking of it differently.

Edited by Scorianelle

Imp: Strong myrrh, earthiness, and a musk with a sweet orange tinge.

On: Very musky, a little less earthiness. Sweet. It’s also strong! This is one to dab, for sure. There’s still that orangey quality. It smells yummy, but not in a foody way. Rich and smooth. Something reminding me of a metaphysical shop – the myrrh, I’m guessing.

15 minutes: Musky and a tad incensey. Some spiciness coming out of it – not enough to add a “bite,” just enough to keep it interesting. Textural rather than syrupy smooth.

25 minutes: There’s an impression of mystery and lushness. It almost feels... hedonistic. I don’t know why. The musks are dark, but sweet. I’d say this is unisex, maybe a bit masculine, but it would be really sexy on the right woman. Unspeakably. Like.... :thud:

1 hour: Still quite pleasant, although I noted something remotely bitter at this stage – appears and disappears. Good throw.

2 hours: It starts to get a dusty quality about it, and lots of myrrh. Soft, dark musk. I smell a bit bookish, strangely enough! Must be the dustiness. Like books over a decade old, sweet smelling books with yellow pages. Slightly musty, but in a good way. :wub2:

It keeps getting dustier – the late drydown (several hours later) can be very powdery myrrh, with a clove-like quality. It doesn’t fade fast – goes strong for 5-6 hours, at least, might hang around for a full 12 if I let it.

From the notes, I’d think this would be a very winter-oriented blend, but it actually works well in summer, too, despite being very rich and heavy. I wore it on a 95 degree day and it was still gorgeous. Really does highlight how important chemistry is – I get absolutely nothing green here, no eucalyptus, no cat pee, nothing intense or scary... it’s comforting, even. I completely agree with Balame, who called it “magical.” That’s exactly the word that jumped to mind! And sensual, warm... I suppose I should summarise it as “evocative,” since most blends don’t do this to me. :P

Summary: Dark, mysterious, hedonistic. Sweet musks, strong presence of myrrh, and a bit of dustiness/mustiness later on that’s actually quite nice. Mostly very rich and smooth. Around 5 hours it’s mostly myrrh, and powdery.

Rating: 4/5

I got a small sample of this by a forumite, and I think it was quite aged.

In the bottle: Dark musks with a hint of something lemony -vetiver?

On my skin: I can smell musks and I think I can smell the myrrh as well but the lemony scent is definitely peaking through.

Drydown: A few minutes later it turns to soap on me. I don't know if it is because it is aged or it just doesn't work on me. Pity, I wanted this to work.

Ugh no. It smells like straight up forrest air refresher or one of those scented cardboard trees that you put in your car. I have no idea how people get Skittles from that??? It is a huge disappointment because I didn't expect musk and myrrh (!) to smell like a refreshed toilet.

It doesn't have a strong throw nor a particular lasting power. :(

Czernobog has a couple of notes that I really love, myrrh and vetiver, but somehow it doesn't quite work for me. It starts out nice, with some pine and a hint of vetiver mellowed by the myrrh, but it soon becomes muddled, indistinct, and a bit dank on me. Perhaps it's all the musks? I had hopes for this one but it's not a keeper.

At first I didnt like this, it was very strongly smelling of metal, mint and lemon. Then on the drydown It started to grow on me. I then read the description and was suprised to see mrryh, musks, and vetiver. All my faves.

Over all after it dried down it was quite lovely, I really love the combo of these scents and have never worn them together before so its something that I dont have in my collection. Its a keeper and might need a full bottle

Edited by ianastar

I have gotten so many compliments with this scent! Apparently it works great with my skin chemistry, because the woman who got me into the Lab said that it smelled much better on me.

When I first put it on, I was in an enclosed bathroom and almost had to run out because I got a very strong licorice-like scent. I'm not sure how else to describe it. However, in a few seconds it faded to a wonderful scent that really makes me feel more confident. I know that's probably a strange thing to say, but I feel a lot more confident when I wear this scent. Maybe it's because of the compliments, but whenever I get a whiff of it, I think of strength.

It doesn't smell masculine on me, but it is rather asexual. It could go either way, really.

It seems that I've missed reviewing this one.

This is pretty much straight musk on my skin, and I'm guessing at least one of them is brown. This is slightly fuzzy and quite warm. It goes kind of sweet after awhile.

This is a pretty laid musk blend on my skin and I do enjoy it.

I've put off buying an imp of this for years, 100% convinced that it would never work on me. I confess, I wanted it solely for the name! I added it onto my most recent order, figuring I would get it...hate it...and it would be out of my system. ;) So I was really, really surprised I ended up LOVING this. On me, this was a "clean" scent, sort of soapy but with something more, a hint of pepper maybe, and very faint myrrh. The myrrh amped up some after several hours and I could not stop sniffing my wrist. This reminds me of something and it's driving me nuts trying to place it! Czernobog is definitely a keeper for me and I plan on ordering a big bottle asap!

ITI: Oh, that's really nice. The vetiver is bright and citrusy here - more lime than anything else. It's softened by the musk and the myrrh somewhat, but not enough from making this an uplifting pick-me-up scent.

Wet: Oh yea, that's lime alright. It reminds me of a lime cooler. Delicious!

Dry: The vetiver has toned down to light lemongrass surrounded by soft, brown musks and myrrh. It's such a pretty combination.

In the imp: Pine and citrus

Wet on the skin: Pine and a sharp mint or eucalyptus. Kinda reminds me of Black Forest.

Dry on the skin: Musks come out on the dry down and I'm getting a bit of snake oil but darker. The mint is faint but it's there. Murky, earthy musk with a bright note. I think the bright note is the citrus coming out again. Absolutely love this scent. Not too light and not too heavy with a moderate throw. Really surprised - I thought this would be too dark. Have to have a bottle. Did I mention I love this scent? :wub2:

Received a very aged imp in a trade.

I was so looking forward to this, since I usually like "dark" scents and vetiver. Reading the reviews, I see mentions of civet -- that's okay, since Debauchery has civet and that works on me.

Alas. This scared me even sniffing the vial -- SO. MUCH. MUSK. And when I put it on... well, how can I put this? It reminds me of a sweaty Port-a-Potty. It dries down to an icky powder scent.

I had to use the scrubby soap for this one. While I'm glad I finally got to try this one, and it was cool to see an imp with the old-style logo, it's not for me. Into the swap bag with you!

Edited by vthesiren

This is the first scent that I've taken the time to review in about a year. That being said, it should be pretty evident how highly I think of Czernobog to actually get off my ass and review it. :lol:

In the bottle, this has a STRONG pine-pitch smell; it reminds me of Thanatopsis, which smells similar in some ways but is much greener. If Czernobog had a color, it would be dark, golden amber, like the color of dark honey illuminated by a fire burned down to the embers.... around midnight to 3 AM, no less. Other than the pine, I can smell the myrrh and musks, maybe even the vetiver; this scent reminds me a GREAT deal of Voodoo, in fact.

On, the Voodoo-like experience continues. The musks (I wish I knew which ones!) bloom immediately, and with the vetiver and myrrh it becomes dark, sultry and filthy. This is mysterious and dirty, like burning incense in the middle of the forest, still around midnight. The myrrh deepens the blend with a lingering spiciness, and I imagine one of the musks is responsible for that spice also.

By about an hour later, the musks have gone powdery---which is usually something I'm VERY averted to, other than lemongrass and citronella. However, with the spiciness of the myrrh and the darkness of the vetiver, it smells smooth and rounded, not at all like baby powder but still.... dry, perhaps. It has these amazing nuances of soda to it also, leaving it quite sweet and intriguing to smell. I may have people mistaking my nose as being super-glued to my wrist at this rate; DEFINITELY need a bigger bottle.

I know the mullein is in here somewhere, but I'm not sure how it plays out. Whenever I make tea, it doesn't have such a pronounced smell (at least to me); even in the wild, it isn't super noticeable. Either way, for having only a couple of notes, this is an amazingly well blended perfume. 5/5!

Edited by White_rabbit334

I got this as a frimp with my most recent order, and it's a good'un. Others have mentioned the odd citrusy scent they get in the bottle, and I get that too. I opened it up and thought, "Whew, lime!" But as soon as I put it on, that was gone. No citrus on the skin, and it seems odd that it would be there at all, it's not in the description!

On, this is a rich, resiny, musky, smoky dark scent. Myrrh works really well on me and has a distinct softness that tends to blend and mellow other scents, and this one is no exception. I get the myrrh most strongly, but I can definitely smell the musks that darken the scent. Really, really lovely!

Edited by Lani

In the Imp: Wow...a lemon-lime punch in the face. -looking at notes- whaaaaat?

Wet: Lime and grapefruit.

10 mins: Citrus and pine scented toilet cleaner.

Drydown: Wow....snake oil and grapefruit! I was very worried when this turned to toilet cleaner, but I actually kinda like this. It's got the velvetyness of snake oil with a WHAM BAM punch of grapefruit on top.

Verdict: I don't think I'd ever buy a bottle of this, the combination of resiny SO with astringent citrus is just a little too discordant for me. Nice though :D.

3.5/5

Edited by welcometothefamily

Received as a frimp from the Lab.

IN THE IMP: Very interesting and complex. I definitely get some cola, which I didn't expect, and also an undefinable note that is slightly metallic.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of one arm.

WET: Evergreen and cola! I think I have figured out that, along with oppoponax, there is a certain musk (still not sure which one) which also goes cola on me. I love cola notes.

DRYDOWN: I am getting SOME of the myrrh here but none of the mullein, which is a good thing because while I love to DRINK booze, it is not a good note for me in any form. Also not getting the vetiver stink.

OVERALL: This one was a surprisingly good blend for me and not one I ever would have ordered on my own. I think it makes a fabulous Yule scent. In the end, though, it's not one I'd wear when I have so many others to choose from ... an ever-so-slight cloying drydown and just a little too manly for me.

On a scale of 1-5 I give it about a 3.8 but it still goes into the swap box.

I also got this as a freebie, and delayed trying it because I understood it was a "masculine" scent.

To be honest I don't even know what "musk" smells like, let alone vetiver or mullein, but this is a beautiful surprise.

I get the lime note someone mentioned, and within ten minutes of application it smells gorgeously fresh and sweet on my skin. ーーThanks, chemistry!

No boys will take this one from me!

This will be awesome when the summer heat is trying to kill me. <3

I really wanted this to work, it smelled so so good in the imp, but unfortunately turned into male aftershave/shaving cream/irish spring soap on my skin. Thanks, vetiver. At least now I know it's the vetiver that has that effect, I was suspecting it along with spanish moss and labdanum - but from trying other scents with the latter and not the former... nope, vetiver. Rundown:

In the imp: Warm, musky, chaotic in the background, complex... I love it so much I just want to be surrounded with it for hours and breathe it in.

Wet on skin: Starts to get mild almost right away... I start to smell rich dark myrrh and musk underneath. A little sweetness comes out. No vetiver. I love the combination of the musks and the myrrh. Incense with rich dark juicy red fruit. Like licking a still beating bleeding heart in the middle of a sacrificial ritual by a secret society in an old church in the middle of the woods at 3am (my visual)... very rich and ritualistic.

Drydown: The richness fades into a light smoky incense as the ritual is complete, the church abandoned, and dawn breaks. Only vague hints of what happened remain, kicking up some of the incense essence when the initiates come to sweep in a cloud of sweet smoke billowing with citrus rind during and getting stronger after (love that) - there is a lemony note here. The chaos settles, there is a brief smell of rot. Then it pans to the secret society members taking showers, shaving, spraying on generic men's deodorant spray, forgetting about their experience, kissing their wife and kids, and going to their 9-5. The nice part lasted for about an hour to and hour and a half on me. :( I wish each morph lasted longer, except for the last part. But it definitely tells a story.

Another imp designated to room spray/burning oil... or I may use it for brief meditations; even though it doesn't last very long, I do love the morph until the very end..

Edited by MarlaMoreau

This is such a dark sexy scent. It's like a resiny more masculine version of Smut. I think this would be a great dude scent however it still strikes me as fairly unisex. I adore this one. Great staying power too. :wub3: