Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Czernobog

Created in honor of the Slavic Black God of the Dead. A nighttime god of grief, evil, chaos and woe, he is paralleled by his twin brother Bylebog, god of light, joy, order, and good fortune. A combination of three musks, with splashes of dark myrrh, vetiver and mullein.

Out of the bottle I pick up a lime scent for some reason, as soon as I try it on I am in love, I love the musky flavor to it and how it is laced with spice. For some reason I also pick out a slight vanilla scent, maybe this is the myrrh? I don't know but this might turn into a big bottle for me. :P

Liquid sex! Try & resist a man wearing this one!

Got it for self, gave to boy as whilst divine, a little butch for moi.

Heady, wicked & very bad boy. This smell doesn't walk it slinks & lurches. The smell made me imagine a bad boy, leather jacket, motorbike snarling at the night sky before ripping up the town!

Boyishly sinister, good for women too if you want a strong commanding "don't mess with me" smell :P-

This is the darkest scent I have ever experienced. It is the heaviest, deepest musk with an intense green undertone. It is intense, powerful and oddly enough the word “cavernous” comes to mind. This is the scent of an underground temple to a dark god. Like so many other BPAL scents, this one lends towards some true flights of fancy! I think that this scent will be more popular with men, but I do love wearing it. Burning this in my home has given me some darkly creative artistic stimulation, and was the catalyst in inspiring me to paint for the first time in a decade.

Well, it smelled gorgeous in the bottle. I wanted to love it. I really did.

Put it on -- immediately morphed into the smell of Robitussin.

Left it on, hoping it would mellow, and it smelled like stale Robitussin

... :P Oh well. There's always Antony.

I'm going through a bunch of stuff I'd not yet reviewed, trying to get caught up because .. well .. there's more coming!

In the bottle: I get a fruity something, maybe lime, maybe something I can't identify. And when some got onto my fingers, I was a bit worried, as it pretty quickly smelled like Cheshire cat to me .. that scared me. But it seems to just be mixing with something else already on my fingers. Phew!

Wet: This is more green now .. I think it's the eucalyptus. Darnit. But it does, rather quickly, take on that very same funky smell that I get from Cheshire Cat .. the one that in that blend never goes away. Gonna give it a bit to see if it'll mellow, like Saturn does.

Wearing: *sigh* No .. sadly, this does not mellow out like Saturn did when it turned to this funky smell. Like Cheshire Cat, this stays .. just ickie.

In the bottle, I smell green...mint? Maybe my nose needs to be recalibrated. This one goes on a green, spicy musk. Maybe a bit green for me but still very nice. I tried to keep this one light but, an hour and a half later, I've got a bit of a musk cloud around my desk. Not at all unpleasant but not very subtle. :P

I think I'll save this one for times when I want to smell confident, strong, and a little dangerous.

*added later*

When I got back from lunch, I noticed the scent had faded to a powerdry musk. I usually don't like powders but this one was quite pleasant. It also mixed with yesterday's Baron Samedi on the wrists and collar of my riding jacket. The best way I can describe the smell of my jacket now is "clean". Not soapy, not wet. Just fresh and clean. I might have to try mixing these two to see what happens.

Edited by slotown

I ordered this sample for my Ukrainian ex-b/f. He'd been asking me to order something for him for a while, and he's into Slavic history and such. I thought it was appropriate. :D

It smells much nummier on him than it did on me. On him it's a strongly masculine scent. Try to resist, indeed...

I forced him to give me a quick review of it just now. :P He described it as "earthy and musky". That's about all I could get out of him. It works very well on his skin, that I can tell ya for sure!

I was in two minds about actually posting a review of Czernobog because it was gift from the Lab. I’m really sorry but it smelt amazingly dreadful on me. I kept thinking of the Jelly Belly Bean Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans in pepper and earwax and vomit and sardine and also the smell of mould and rubbish bins. I am so sorry. I couldn’t get it off my wrist fast enough. Mind you, it made me giggle to find a blend that my skin made so appalling!

Hmmm. This was just unpleasant. (I could offer some words to describe it, but they would also be unpleasant.) I couldn't wash it all off either, I had to smother my arm in Alice to cover it up.

I'm not sure what the offending note is - I know musk and myrrh both do fine with me, but vetiver is in Alecto and mullein is in Samhain and they were both fine... mysterious. Maybe there's something else in there that's not listed? In any case, this definitely doesn't work on me and will be going straight to the swap pile.

Edited by AnnetteL

On me Czernobog is musk, myrrh and eucalyptus. The eucalyptus (or whatever minty note) is strong at first, then burns off and it becomes a more peppery musky blend. Thankfully the vetiver is hardly noticable.

I like the wet stage a lot because there is a thread of sweetness running through it. But when dry, it seems more traditionally masculine.

I think I will try this on the boy and see how it works on him. He's currently comatose from eating too much Tofurkey so I think I will be able to sneak up on him and apply as much as I want!

A freebie, and one I wouldn't have ordered for myself. I think I was right.

On first sniff: I don't think this is going to be popular. Very dark, very musky. Best apply lightly!

After a couple of minutes: Patchouli? Egad. Not my favorite fragrance!

Several hours later: Patchouli-like scent still very evident. I smell like a NewAge store. :P I guess that must be either one of the musks or the myrrh, but whatever it is, it's not for me.

Ironically, R. classes this one as "not obnoxious". It figures -- but that's not enough to make me want to keep it. If he wore fragrances, I'd let him try it, but he doesn't.

ETA, later: Now I know what the problem was. This scent contains red musk, which I absolutely cannot wear. It gives me the "I smell like a NewAge store" reaction every damn time, no matter how minor a component it is in the blend.

Edited by stardreamer

Okay, I'm not sure if I got a mislabeled one since nobody else's reviews mention this - but I swear that this just smells like a stronger version of Snake Oil. Perhaps Snake Oil with a kick?

It was a pleasant surprise considering I got this as a freebie, I adore Snake Oil and I was running low.

I hate posting a bad review, but this one is just... not for me.

First sniff: Czernobog is STRONG in the bottle -- too strong and too musky for me.

On first application: Some of the spice comes out when applied, more so than in the bottle, but it's still a bit too murky and thick for me.

On drydown: After about 15 minutes, this turns into Brut on me. The musk is very intense, and makes me vaguely nauseous. I'm bummed -- I was hoping for a good murky scent for those moods, but this one isn't it. Luckily, the person I swapped it to seems to have had much better results!

czernobog...DEFINATELY a no go for me.

in the bottle--very- strong. but so was black cat and it turned totally wonderful so i put it on.

on wet- truly awful! smells like the old concentrated lysol that was (maybe still is?) sold in brown bottles.

within 15 minutes- eyes are burning, nose is burning, i've begun choking it has to come off immediately and i grab my breathing meds. *sigh* and i was so hoping...

The first time I smelled this in the bottle, I thought it would be good.

My boyfriend just went "Motor Oil"

I brushed him off, thinking he ws nuts.

Now, I have it on.

Motor Oil it is. Really expensive motor oil... Maybe the garage where Jaguars are fixed.

Still Motor Oil.

I smell the lime and the rest, the vetiver.. but still there's that motor oil scent.

:\

Ahh well...

Czernobog was another gift from the lab that I wouldn't have ordered because it looks like a definite man's scent, but I'll try it..

It's scary and dark in the bottle. On, it's dark heavy musk and something sharp and eucalyptus-y over the top, very masculine/animalistic. It makes me think of a big, black, snarling dog or wolf.

If you want to smell like the wolf from “Little Red Riding Hood,” this is for you, and I find it interestingly evocative in that way, but I couldn't wear it myself.

This was a gift imp from the lab and I was excited to try it, despite the somewhat dubious reviews, because vetiver seems to work better with my skin chemistry than most and because I am of half Bohemian heritage and find the folklore of that area very interesting.

I had different experiences to the two time I tried it. Both times, the initial impression when applied is as someone aptly said, not unlike moter oil. That passes almost instantly and I get a blend as dark as its color but strangely compelling. The tangy vetiver and sweet/sour myrrh are evenly blended with the musks. I do not recognize the mullein.

The first time it dried down it was almos sweet, t like black licorice and then smelled exactly like really dark root beer. I loved that. The second time, there was a bitterness…almost like civet hidden in the sweetness. I am going to give it another few tries though, because I liked the root beer effect.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :P

First sniff:

This, to me, smells like Satyr with myrrh added. It's got that strong, sharp animal sex musk note that's bordering on cat pee, but with a resiny sweetness in the background. I doubt that this will work for me due to my body chemistry's decidedly unpleasant reaction to the darker musks, but it's worth a shot. :D

Wet on skin:

The cat pee note that was skirting around in the background is gone now, leaving a sharp, almost bitter musk note layered over a soft background of myrrh. I can't smell the vetiver and wouldn't know mullein if it bit me on the ass, so I can't say whether it's putting in an appearance or not. This is a lot less aggressive smelling than I expected it to be, actually.

Dry down:

This isn't anywhere near as overpoweringly animalistic as Satyr was, which makes me very happy because Satyr was a disaster on me, but I'm not sure it's enough to save Czernobog for me. It's settled down into a soft animal musk with a hint of sharpness and the tiniest hint of myrrh in the background.

The bottom line:

Czernobog isn't a bad scent, but it's decidedly not me, unfortunately. :D

:P this scent! I wore it for awhile, feeling feral. It's not a "sharp" musk but a sweet one. Gave both Czernobog imps to Bear because it smells like the Adolfo he's been looking for. It's what he'll be wearing until the imps run out :D (Another reason to sniff him all the time) and then I'll be getting him more.

Anais

i hadn't read the reviews & tried to guess, as it was an extra in a swap. EEEW. eucalyptus...vicks vapor rub....black licorice?? ICK-- repellent!! certainly not my thing as i am a big foodie/gourmand girl, but so super masculine, i could not imagine even the most *don't-mess-with-me* biatch getting away with it! even on a man, i would find this repellent, but to each his own....

ETA: ok, maybe not so bad on a man, perhaps a really hot one?? :P

Edited by warmfuzzies

hmmm i am beginning to think i am odder then i thought i was :P it smells like bathroom cleaner to me , i do not smell musk, i did get a minty type citurs smell when it was wet, the vetiver is there too, but forwhatever reason it really went bathroom cleaner one me :D

In the Vial: Something green is all I smell in the vial.

Wet: It smells like myrrh.... With maybe some mint or something? It has a green undertone to it...

Dry: Eucalyptus I think is what I'm smelling, along with some Myrrh... It gives the feel of a Man's scent.

Conclusion: Nope, not for me. I'll take and swap this one.

I recognize a note in this one from Snake Oil. Unfortunately it became terribly murky and then unpleasantly animalistic on my skin. On a big man who gives lovely hugs this would be perfect...

What a weird color in the vial, it's a really rich brown.

The smell is a really rich brown too. It's got a citrussy, priclky not mixed in with manly musk. This is a manly-man smell. Kind of a modern twist on 70's musk cologne.

For those who have seen Anchorman, It's made with real panther bits, so you know it works. (except it doesn't smell bad at all :P )

Ok, you'll have to forgive my just being blunt about this one, but it's the only BPAL scent I've EVER smelled that made me want to gag. I don't necessarily like everything, but this is just ....wow.....

In the bottle: Scary. Has a feces-like undersmell. Reminds me of something I smelled in a morgue once. I'm not kidding.

On: same. Couldn't get it off fast enough.

I threw it away. Can't bring myself to swap this one. I have a conscience.