Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Czernobog

Created in honor of the Slavic Black God of the Dead. A nighttime god of grief, evil, chaos and woe, he is paralleled by his twin brother Bylebog, god of light, joy, order, and good fortune. A combination of three musks, with splashes of dark myrrh, vetiver and mullein.

In the imp: yum, smells good! Almost a citrusy aroma. As it dries, I start to recognize the scent. Where was it? Oh, I know, something that was in Schwarzer Mond? No, wait, it was Scherezade! No, Snake Oil...and King Cobra! My guess was copal, but after reading the ingredients, nope, that wasn't it.

I don't know my notes well enough to identify anything specific; I am learning, but this is a slow process. I do know that I adore this scent. I want to give it another go before I commit to a big bottle. But, of all the Norns, Czernborg is my favorite. Take that club and smack me any time, big boy!

This was a frimp from the lab.

Wet, it was piney, musky and sweet.

Dry, it settled down to a sweet musk...and lasted, and lasted and lasted. It's darn near 12 hours since I put it on and I can still smell the sweet musky scent of it. It hasn't had much throw, but, I don't always want the whole room to smell me either. It's complex enough to keep me interested, and I'll likely wear it at least enough to use the imp.

Aerinha put it best -- on me, Czernobog is "piney, musky, and sweet." It could practically be a Yule blend. I love it.

Czernobog envelops you in a velvety darkness. There is just the right amount of sweetness here. I love the smoothness and strength of this blend. Definitely put me in the Czernobog fan club!

The scent softens as it drys, but the throw is moderately strong. Not too much, but a presence.

This is dark and sinister and altogether... sexy. It has a velvety darkness to it and the musks combine sooo well with the dark myrrh. The vetiver adds an element of dark earth. There is something else in there, but I can't tell what it is and I am unfamiliar with mullein. Either way, this one is intense in a good way.

Part of Innana9's contribution to the civet circle:

One of the things I've noticed as a Civeteer is that civet seems to be pared with the darker earthy scents, perhaps because it adds that hint of freshness or a crisper edge to it and keeps things interesting.

At any rate, yes, here we have a lovely dark, wet, sweetness in the imp that when applied opens up to a very civet-like (for me) freshness. That's a lot of bright sunshine for a dark god! Perhaps it's his duel nature! Because of course there's the dark undertone too it as well. Actually, it's kind of dancing! Definitely patchouli brightened with lemon/fir/cedarishness.

I'm very attracted to the Slavic background of this story, but alas, I think that Czernobog is already leaving me. It's skin scent bare minutes out, and remains just a zingy, fresh scent with a little patchouli sweetness.

He likes me, but apparently, I do not hold his attention.

Well, there are those goddesses he hangs with, you know.

It's a strangely pronounced freshness, although faint, if that makes any sense. Kind of like standing in front of one of those air filtration things: an almost unscented FRESHNESS!

Czernobog -- the fresh-maker!

When first applied I was kind of iffy about this one. It then morphs to a sweet, slightly spicy scent similar to Haunted or even somewhat like Snake Oil on me. It has that sort of sweet, incensey richness to it. It turns out quite feminine and gourmand on me.

Sniffed in imp: Root beer coloured. Sweet, dark, smoky. Sparkling, root beer like (crazy!). Foody. Also quite woody and herbal. Unisex.

In the imp, this is surprisingly *bright* - not at all what I expected.

The vetiver comes out on my skin; that strange, sweet brightness is still present, along with just a hit of myrrh.

When it dries, it's surprisingly soft - velvety almost; all musk and myrrh. Not a keeper for me, but definitely appreciable.

This was not what I was expecting...

In the imp: Lemon musk? With incense?

Wet: Vetiver, for certain...and in this case it is playing nicely with the myrrh. As it dries, something more pine-like is coming out.

Hm...not for me, but definitely neat. Sort of a musky lemon pine-sol. Now with resin!...I suppose the God of Death does need to keep clean.

What a surprise. I tried this one a long time ago, but then got more interested in other oils and never touched it again. The Civet Evangelism Circle promoted me to try this one again.

First applied, this smells of red musk, a touch of pine and a sweetness in the background, which I think has elements of vanilla. This is quite lovely. Behind the pine/juniper and the sweetness, it smells almost waxy. This reminds of Golden Priapus but somehow brighter. I think there is black musk in here. It is behaving thus far but on the edge of going powdery. Luckily, it’s just teetering there on the edge and never turns to powder hell.

What surprising oil. It’s surprisingly bright and sweet. I like this a lot!

In The Bottle

Odd. Like some previous reviewers, I get lime in the imp.

On Application

Limey and herbal

Dry Down

The musks almost immediately rear their lovely heads as it warms to give a slighly sweet piney effect. Smells vey fesh and woodsy in the cool of night. This woud be awesome aged. Bottle-worthy.

Rating (0-5)

Piney-menthol-eucalyptus cough drop in the best way possible. Not at all what I was expecting. It even makes my skin FEEL like there's menthol in this.

The longer its on my skin, the sweeter it gets - the musk starts to come out, and the myrrh goes back to myrrh instead of Vapo-Rub. He could live comfortably with the Yule blends, though, it has that sweet citrusy fresh Christmas tree smell - the one that makes me crave grapefruit and yuzu, instead of just thinking "Hmm. Pine-scented cleaning products."

I like this. The longer I wear it, the more I like it. I think it's a really specific kind of smell, though. I'm definitely not going to wear this often. Maybe to bed. It's really comforting.

*sniffs arm*

*looks at imp label*

*looks at color of oil*

This...smells almost exactly like aged Snake Oil on me. WTF? It's amazing! The only difference is that it's not quite as sweet. Sort of a man's version of Snake Oil, maybe? Delicious, dark, and gorgeous. Anyone who has trouble wearing fresh Snake Oil and wants to know what it's like aged should give Czernobog a try. I never saw this coming but it's fantastic.

I ordered this one because I had to try it. Then I promptly swapped it. After making several funny faces. And the listed notes sounded kind of nice, but alas, I would only wear this outside if I wanted people to stay far, far away from me.

And there might be some appeal to that...

This smells a lot like the drydown of the snakes I have tried from the snake pit (which since they have all smelled the same I have begun to assume is snake oil ;D), just not as sweet if you will, and looking back I see others have gotten that same feeling, I feel like I would like this more if it was a little stronger, maybe since the imp I am trying is rather aged that might be the case.

this just isn't a me scent

Going on wet, this is very strong and very overpowering. On drydown, a very nice musk balanced with the vetiver and myrhh, and yes, it is very snakey. Reminds me somewhat of Temple Viper the most I think. I like this, but I have plenty of snakes and musky scents. Very glad to have been frimped this, though!

Wow, I am totally losing my touch and all things associated with it.

No! Just kidding, Czernobog is just THAT awesome on me.

OMG do the musk and myrrh ever play so nicely with my own chemistry, it's about time, everything always smells less than what I expected on me. Usually musks make me stink, unless it is this or Dorian.

For instance, I am also testing Fenris Wolf at this time also, and it smells quite a bit like Iago on me, and unfortunately Iago was not a friend of mine...

Anyway, back to Czernobog, this is totally a "me" scent. I get a cool, night time, like darkness is falling and it is time for women and children to hide vibe out of it. It's man time, lol. Just kidding, I do love it though.

When I first put it on I wasn't impressed. It was ok, nothing really stood out and then it all but dissappeared from my skin. Seriously, I couldn't smell a thing.

But then it just blossomed and out came a beautiful sweet incense. I have no idea how to describe it, it somehow manages to morph from a dark to bright and back and forth scent.

I can't stop sniffing myself. I had intended to try another scent after this, but I think i'm just going to enjoy this one for a while.

I think this would also work well on hubby as he tends to turn scents like this into pure sex. :P

Edited by Femme_Fatale

I was pleasantly surprised with this scent. Usually vetiver is a huge no-no, but this begins as a nice, deep limey resinous scent. The lime backs off as it dries and I get a masculine, resinous blend, with just a hint of smoke and lime. There's an herbal overtone to it.

Too masculine for me, but I'm very glad the vetiver behaved itself in this blend!

:twisted: One of my favorite characters in Gaiman's American Gods, I was really hoping I'd be in the Czernobog love camp because Vechernayaya was allergy city. Oh my (sweet sexy death) god! This is musk at its finest! Strong, hot and blissfully overwhelming. Thank you BPAL! This is a new fave :wub2:

imp: very musky.

wet: very sweet, dark musk. the myrrh and mullein and definitely in the background here. this somehow reminds me of satyr.

dry: this dries to a nice, sweet musk scent. still reminds me a bit of satyr... just more darkly feminine rather than masculine.

Helloooo MUSK! I must admit, I'm a pretty big fan of the musky scents, but I think this may be a little much for the likes of me. On me, this is musk to the nth degree. After a VERY long drydown - several hours - the mullein came out and sweetened it up a bit. The myrrh and vetiver were not to be seen (or smelt for that matter).

This'll be another " I can't believe I waited this long to review this " kind of review . I think I may wait so long due to enjoying something so much that I get apathetic about it . At least about telling others how I feel . Anyway ... on with the review .

Czernobog is one of my favorites from American Gods as well . Just remember , one day he WILL hit you with his hammer . Czernobog the scent really reminds me a lot of Thanatopsis at first , especially in the bottle . It has the same green , spicy kind of thing going on . Upon application it still makes me think of my favorite Ars Moriendi scent . However , after the spicy fades a bit , the musks come out to play big time . I think the only thing I ever tried with stronger musks would be Brom Bones . And they really stayed with me all day at work . Most days I sweat off the scent I'm wearing fairly quickly . Not so with the musks in this . So , a spicy , foresty kind of beginning , but a very black musk kind of ending . Which is pretty appropriate considering who this is based on .