Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Luna

Cleansing - Purification - Imagination - Dream Work
Emotional Growth & Healing - Mystery - Veiling - Deception – Impulse
Capriciousness - Bewitchments - Glamor - Delight - Pleasure

hey, this is not too bad. i really wasn't too sure what to expect, but: in the bottle, and wet, i get a cherry-almond at first, with a bit of something lemony...
on the skin, it soon begins to have flowers emerge...ylang-ylang or jasmine someone mentioned, and i can see that. there's a bit of plastic note for a bit, but it goes away. i still get a bit of lemony-something. i'm also thinking of the flower called "paper-white" narcissus, which reminds me of hyacinth at easter-time. this is a fairly soft, meditative scent, but also with an "up" sort of energy, like you sometimes get on a full moon. i'm pretty happy with this one, moreso than i thought i would be. Edited by Shollin

This is all ylang ylang and jasmine on me, perfectly balanced. It's cool and pale and a little sweet. It fades very quickly on me, becoming slightly powdery as it disappears, but I do like it. It's soft, and rather calming.

In the bottle: Sweet florals, a little cherry-almond.

On my skin: The jasmine in this immediately leaps upon the other, unsuspecting notes after application and takes over. :/

I've really been looking forward to the rerelease of Luna, my all time favorite Celestial BPAL. In this version the ylang ylang seems to me to be the most prominent, followed quickly by the jasmine. This Luna is much "sweeter" than the original. That could be because it is "fresh" & hasn't had time to settle into it's resplendant floral self.

It's a "keeper" but I'll wear it more when it's "grown up" a bit.

Usually when the reviews say it starts out cherry almond, I'm happy because things that start out cerry almost always dry to a really nice scent on me, but I got no cherry almond, I got jasmine and ylang ylang. I like both those notes so its ok

Whew.... that is some strong jasmine! I can detect a little bit of the lotus everyone else is describing just underneath it all, but this is a very determined but somehow also aquatic jasmine.

Powerful!

Luna is very floral - similar on me to Moscow and Shadow Witch Orchid (go figure). Many of the above posts mention jasmine. There may be a fair amount of jasmine, but I just sniffed my sambac jasmine plant and both Luna and Moscow are "darker" and "heavier". I would have guessed lilac or orchid mix.

So, yes I had the "floral experience" with this one, but got something a little more complicated than one note.

I didn't realize until after I'd placed my order for Luna that it had jasmine in it. Oops. I was kind of dreading trying it out because the Lab's jasmine and I have a history filled with bitterness and running to take a shower.

First on, Luna is sweet cherries and white florals. I detect a hint of the medicine-y sharpness that the Lab's jasmine usually brings out. BUT. But after it dries, Luna is just a pretty, calm floral. A little detergent-like, but not offputtingly so. Definitely still jasmine, but it's a jasmine that my skin likes. Yay! Finally.

I'm going to keep this one because I love the imagery that goes along with it, and the mister loves jasmine, and this is jasmine I can tolerate. It's not a top ten, but it's pretty enough to keep.

In the bottle and directly upon application, the predominant notes were almond and cherry. Whilst cherry usually goes wrong on me, this was actually quite a nice cherry. However, upon dry down it becomes a very jasmine blend, with a hint of honeysuckle maybe? And ylang ylang? As I am one of those few people who counts jasmine as one of my top three notes, that suits me just fine. A sweet, juicy white floral blend - very feminine, a little mysterious, and perfectly evocative of the Moon.

Luna

In the imp: jasmine and almonds…and maybe cherries too. I get maraschino cherries on first sniff, but second sniff reveals almond with jasmine.

Wet on skin: the jasmine gets stronger, and it's heady jasmine!

Dry on skin: oooh, the almond has faded and now I get a rich, strong jasmine scent. at first it reminds me of the jasmine notes in New Orleans, but then I sniff deeper and realise that the jasmine is deeper and richer, more exotic-it's more like the jasmine in Cabaret, which I adore. I also wonder if this jasmine is of the Tunisian variety, because it smells like Attar Bazaar's Tunisian Jasmine, which I love! I think there may be some other things in here-maybe a lily, tuberose or honeysuckle note, maybe a smidgen of gardenia (if there is, it's a very small amount)…it's like a heady bouquet of white, nocturnal blooms under dazzling summer moonlight.

After a while: I think there may be gardenia here because I get the slight dry sharpness I get from some gardenia notes, but in here it's pretty much overpowered by the rich jasmine scent, which to me, smells like the real flowers I smelt in Tunisia. This scent, along with Cabaret, has the richest, truest and fullest jasmine note in BPAL, I think.

I think there may also be some moonflower in here-which isn't surprising at all!

After a few hours it smells drier and greener, similar to the drydown I get from some honeysuckle scents.

Verdict: I wasn't keen on Tarot: The Moon (the gardenia killed it for me), but I really like this. It is a gorgeous, lush, heady and nocturnal floral scent. At first it's almond, but this fades to reveal a full, rich, true jasmine note, reminiscent of the blooms I smelt Tunisia. This is a white, glowing, night-time floral scent, very appropriate for the moon, it's feminine and luminous. I think there are other floral notes here, like lily, honeysuckle, tuberose, gardenia and moonflower (no surprises there), but it's mainly jasmine. It does smell a bit dry and not as nice as before upon drydown, but I like this a lot.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

This is the scent I'm wearing to bed tonight, so I think I'm going to put in a review for this and call it a day.

I picked up a bottle of Luna because I read all the lovely reviews - even though my personality's more Mercury than Luna, I love jasmine, so I thought I'd go with this one instead.

Sure enough, jasmine and ylang ylang, like everyone's been saying. It's a sharp, fresh jasmine. I could definitely fall asleep to this. Very evocative of the moon, particularly if the jasmine is night-blooming, but the Lab doesn't specify, so I'm just going to assume it is.

I'm initially getting the funny cherry-almond that some others have mentioned, which is strange since I didn't smell either in the bottle. After about thirty seconds, the cherry and almond go away and I'm surrounded by jasmine flowers! Lots and lots of them, and I love jasmine (flowers, tea, everything). My mom has two huge jasmine plants at home, and I can't go by without smelling the flowers if there are any. On the drydown, I smell even more jasmine, less heady now. I feel like I'm walking in a field of jasmine flowers in the middle of the night. (N.B. Don't sniff your wrists up close. You won't get the beauty of the jasmine scent if you do - it'll just smell too strong.)

(If I mix this with Holiday Moon, will I get jasmine tea?)

In the Philippines, where my family's from, they weave jasmine flowers into necklaces and place them around the necks of religious statues either in church or at home. I'm reminded of that now, and I've associated jasmine flowers, since I was much younger, with church. It's not just a moon scent for me, it's also very solemn. For Luna, and its evocation of so many memories, 4.5. I'm not just going to wear this for bed, because it's too beautiful, but I will keep it on my nightstand.

In the Bottle: Sharp florals, but lovely.

Wet: Gah! Jasmine!

Dry: Jasmine, jasmine, and more jasmine. That's all I get from this one. And evidently, I am not going to be able to have anything with this scent in it. My chemistry pumps it up until it overwhelms everything. :P Dammit.

Wet, this smells promising. Like there's a citrus-herbal base. Then it dries. It's jasmine. Not that I don't like jasmine in blends or in small amounts, but that's pretty much all I get out of this. In very large quantities. Ow.

In Bottle: Toxic fumes

On Skin: Yes, that’s a terrible way to start a review, and I hate to say anything like that about a blend of Beth’s… but what is that??? It smells like noxious chemicals to me. After a minute or two, the scent tames itself and a cherry note surfaces. This scent seems to be for so many purposes, and most sound pretty good. I’m going to try it out at work tomorrow and see what happens. As it develops, there is a strong floral, sweet and syrupy. Very pretty, and both golden and purple in feel. I have heard people say jasmine and ylang ylang and I’d have to agree with those guesses. A bit too floral for everyday wear, but like I said, I’m going to try it out for it’s true purpose and intent. EDIT: I wore it today and I didn’t have anything obvious happen to me… but people did seem to be a bit nicer and talkative.

Edited by slave1

In the vial: There's a very crisp note here, almost ammonia but it's not that sharp. Maybe something in the menthol family. I get a hint of lotus, too.

Wet: Cedary soap? Does that mean there's lily here? I'm just getting the weirdest scent out of this. Objecting strenuously to none of it, but weird.

Dry: I never got the cherry-almond note that other people mentioned. The sharpness faded as it dried down, but I couldn't tell you what it was, for certain, that was really in here. Not a terrible scent, but not one I'm likely to wear often. Keeping the imp to satisfy my packrat tendencies.

Almond? Cherry? Thank goodness, no. Just a soft lunar floral on me, with enough backbone to not be too sweet. It smells like a lunacy blend- it seems to have the signature Beth Lunar Oil base going on, overlaid with a gorgeous jasmine/ylang ylang. I love ylang ylang, and I usually do OK with jasmine. This is a nice blend, indeed. So far the celestial I like the best.

I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

In the bottle: Extremely strong almond, with jasmine blooming in the background.

Wet: The almond starts fading as the blend hits the skin and dries, giving way to...

Drydown: lush jasmine! But not only jasmine. There are many flowers in this blend, and probably lots that I don't know, but it smells like a soft white floral. I wonder if the almond from the beginning isn't actually cherry blossom, because I tend to mix almond and cherry scents. There's a depth to this floral, I think it comes from some kind of lily, which is delicious. I'd swear there's a tiny hint of lemon in there, too! mhh!

Overall: A very soothing blend, soft and white, milky and motherly. It's calm and quiet, all white flowers - I'm lucky that florals generally work out well on me. It doesn't turn overly sweet, which is a good thing, and everything is so well blended that apart from the cherry-almond and the jasmine, I'm not sure what I'm smelling, but I like it. Another blend that perfectly represents its planet: it's the gentlest, most nurturing of the Celestials I've tried, which morphs from foody to flowery in a very capricious way. I sniff it before I go to sleep, it helps me feel relaxed.

Well... moon child that I am how could I pass up Luna? Finally got around to a review.

In the bottle: Fruity - floral. I can't tell what fruit but it's sweet, people who've reviewed this too said cherries, and yeah... it's sweet like that. Some got citrus but I just didn't... very hard to pinpoint. Almond too?

On wet: That sweet fruityness amped up a tiny bit on me. VERY sweet on me.

On drydown : Fruityness calmed down and is playing nicely with the floral notes. Less sweet and more floral now. I am not all that good at picking out notes but I smell jasmine? And ylang-ylang? Many others did too, so I must not be far off the mark there. :P I'm sure there are other florals in there too that I don't know what they are but wow the jasmine! It's pretty much heading up the pack.

Overall: Pretty. Very pretty. It does remind me of a beautiful full silvery moon on a July night with the scent of night blooming Jasmine in the air. Very feminine and lovely. I like this one!

Edited by Polly

In the bottle: Very, VERY sweet and potent white floral

On me: Strong white floral with a hint of green in the background. I can definitely detect jasmine and ylang ylang.

I wore this to bed and had interesting dreams. :P

Definitely worth a small hoard; I like its sweet white floral-tude and its potential use for dreamwork.

In the imp: almonds, honey and CHERRIES. Some florals, too - if there's jasmine, I will be very sad..

On me, wet: whoa marzipan and cherries. There's something sharp and citric behind it, though - but that's a lot of cherry-almond to get past.

On me, dry: It's so very light that I can't really identify any notes beyond 'powdery florals'. Maybe a jasminey scent (if it is jasmine, whoa, it didn't take over with baby powder-ness?).

Verdict: It's not unpleasant, but I don't think it's a keeper. I can barely smell it. Swap pile.

First whiff in the bottle, this one has a lovely scent but it's artificial to me and I'm recalling something from my childhood. I'm getting some kind of aquatic association, and also a type of plastic which I absolutely adore the smell of. You know the smell of blow up swimming pools, pvc pencil cases, that kind of thing? People are saying things like cherries but I'm getting that awesome plastic smell. Hehe I think it's great. Maybe it's just my own associations playing a part here; of a clear blue swimming pool, soft grasses, and feeling clean and bright. There's something in this 'crisping it up'.

On my skin, here comes the jasmine. As it dries down, it mellows out and the floral notes are playing with something else that is keeping it grounded. Overall I think this is a lovely scent that brings to mind a crisp, clear and sparkling pale blue colour. I'd love to know the other notes in this blend.

This is a nice scent but it doesn't suit me to the point where I feel I need a whole bottle, so I'll probably be passing this one on.

bottle:

fruity floral

wet:

there's a hint of something menthol in there… a stronger white floral/fruity scent

dry:

dries into jasmine and other floral notes. Where midnight and evening star are light versions of a moonlit garden, this is the stronger version, in an exotic location!

overall:

the "menthol"ish note at first is strong and not entirely good, but it morphs into a nice floral blend. Maybe a little strong (jasmine) for me, depends on the mood.

rating: 6/10

When I was in high school (way back in the day), Love was the perfumer of choice for many teenagers--and my favorite was Love's Musky Jasmine. I was besotted with the scent and would actually carry it to school.

I was desolate when it was discontinued.

Luna is the closest thing I've found to Love's Musky Jasmine--this is all jasmine with a touch of lotus instead of musk. Normally, lotus is pretty much gag-inducing on me, but for some reason, it behaves itself in Luna and isn't too far from the musk of yore.

I love this scent for many reasons--its own aroma, but also the memories of my high school self.

Luna

In the bottle: Wet, murky floral

On me: Heavy, wet floral. It reminds me of New Orleans. Too much floral for me. But when dry the heaviness recedes and becomes lighter, more airy.

After wearing it for about an hour it has become beautiful! An undertone of floral, with a bit of sweet spiciness on top. This is probably the only floral scent that I have liked.