Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Luna

Luna, from Celestials - Planetary Oils. Characteristics from the site:

Cleansing - Purification - Imagination - Dream Work

Emotional Growth & Healing - Mystery - Veiling - Deception - Impulse

Capriciousness - Bewitchments - Glamor - Delight - Pleasure

First sniff: If anyone actually knows what this one smells like, please help me out. This is driving me crazy. I know this smell and I can't pin it down. (Happens to me way too often). I thought at first it was a fruit, but not an everyday fruit -- something exotic like kiwi or kumquat. The closest I can get is pineapple, but that's not right either. It has the texture of a bright yellow hard candy. Uplifting and sharp-sweet.

Wearing: Still haven't managed to define the very specific thing this scent reminds me of. The candy-smell calms down quickly and I'm left with the undefinable yellow fruit. Sweet but not unpleasantly so. I'm not madly in love with it, but it's nice enough.

Cherries, combined with a light, soft flower and a hint of spice...definitely fruity, but in an exotic way.

After about ten minutes, more floral, less fruit...but still quite yummy.

The yellow hard candy picture's very apt for the first few minutes. After that, I can't really give you much, as the ylang-ylang and I dont' get along. While this was the softest, most likeable version of a scent with ylang ylang that I've found, it took off running on my skin, and I couldn't smell anything else for a couple of hours.

Just like Sol remind me of the highest noontime sun in mid-July, this reminds me of a full moon on a summer night. It is languid, it is mysterious, it is very feminine, almost too much so for me. What I detect in this is ylang-ylang and jasmine. Lots of jasmine. The moon is feminine, and this does evoke lunar energies to me. I'm not sure how often I'll wear this, but I'll keep it for those times when I need to draw in some lunar energy. Again, this would be great for people who incorporate astrology into their ritual or healing work.

First Impression: Juicy, bright, almost cherry like.

Second Impresson: The second it dries the cherries are gone, thank goodness! Now I smell clean, fresh jasmine and that lovely ylang-ylang softness.

Final Analysis: This smells great on, wrapped in a soft, floral blanket. It's very soft. I hope it lasts.

This was another one I didn't think I'd like after initially applying. My nose took some adjusting. The jasmine was strong at first, but the drydown on this was like liquid moon drops of loveliness. This dried down to a sweet, subtle jasmine, spicy scent that I couldn't get enough of. I loved this oil.

FIRST SNIFF: almonds, cherries, honey...

WEARING IT: this is extremely bright and cheerful to me. very sweet, almost too sweet. as it dries something "yellow" seems to emerge and it gets less fruity and a bit more floral - maybe violet or jasmine?

FINAL VERDICT: i think it's just a bit too sweet for me, so not one of my favourites.

Light, Floral, maybe Moonflower, or is that too obvious...This is not a heavy scent on me. Could there be a touch of night blooming Jasmine? This is one of those very soft, dreamy scents. I'm not smelling the cherry smell that others have. My husband came through and thought he could smell gardenia. It doesn't matter though, I'm planning on buying a 5ml of this

Luna was, as I'm alsways most drawn to the moon, the one Celestial I was most wanting to get. I was gifted with an entire collection of them, for which I'm incredibly thankful .. but Luna remains to this point my favorite.

In the bottle: Sweet .. white. This is one of the few scents that I can say is definitely white. I can see where the cherry scent people are noticing is, though I'm not entirely certain it's a cherry note. After a couple of sniffs, I'm definitely getting jasmine, and something berhaps sweeter as an undertone .. I don't know ylang-ylang by itself, but it's in my current shampoo, and this has a similar sweetness and mystery to that.

Wet: Much as my skin likes the cinnamon note, it also likes jasmine, and in a good, yummy way. Wearing, the cherry-type smell completely vanishes, which I like, as I haven't been overly fond of wearing any of the blends with a strong cherry note. It's very definitely jasmine and a few other florals .. as feminine as Sol is masculine. This makes me want to go out in the yard under a full moon and just soak in Her energy.

Wearing: I start to smell the gardenia smell in this, though I'm not sure if it's just the blending of all the florals that are in this, or if there's a gardenia not that's coming to the forefront. but that's alright, as gardenia is another white floral I adore. I'm always sad when the gardenia flowers wilt away at last in the summer heat, as they really do add a lovely smell to the house. Overall, this is very white, very crisp, and yet filled with power. A womanly strength that only Luna can exude.

I have found the oil to wear during my period. (Sorry if that's TMI!)

Normally when I sniff this, and even when I apply it, it smells too syrupy and sweet for me to associate it with anything lunar. It smells like fruit candy, and always puts me off -- not because it smells bad, but because it just doesn't seem to "fit."

However, I'm mid-cycle, and I felt inclined to try it. INSTANTLY this became a beautiful, familiar-smelling light, sweet-yet-dry floral with just enough mystery and just enough depth. I am *so* pleasantly surprised, as there is no trace of the candied fruit that I normally smell -- rather the sweetness provides a gentle cradle for the shy, but powerful white gardenia.

It defintely smells of gardenia to me -- the favorite flower of all of the older women in my family.

This fragrance is definitely female, and is vibeing perfectly with my menstrual body chemistry! :P

I'm so glad I gave it a chance. Wearing it now, it fits perfectly with the cool, white, feminine, soft complexity that I always imagined a lunar oil would have.

Oh, gorgeousness! Clear, silvery white like The Unicorn, but even more clean and bright--bottled moonlight. My first Celestial, and I'm setting it aside for ritual work, although it smells so good I may look for other excuses to wear it.

I dabbed this on and my sister yelled, "Mimosas!" I was confused, b/c it doesn't smell like orange juice and champagne. Oh, she meant the flower. Gotcha. :D Guess that's just my frame of reference... :P Yes, I can see what she means--on me this is completely floral but gently sweet; some Southern flower, whether mimosa, wisteria, or the others Forumites have mentioned. I don't know what Moonflower smells like, but this is now officially what it smells like to me! :D

Luna gave me two associations--

1. The light of Earendil, the Elves' beloved star, which Galadriel gives to Frodo in Lord of the Rings. I half expect Luna to glow the way it did, and now I need a crystal vial to keep it in.

2. Sarah Brightman's La Luna album, which is my favorite. Now I have to go play it.

In the bottle it smells like chipolata pudding. Nice, sweet and yellow but I don't know what it is. Yellow exotic fruit? Iris? Cherry? Honey? It probably has ylang ylang and jasmine in it, come to think of it. It lasts a few hours.

I don't like this one for wearing so much, but in an oilburner mixed with beeswax it's terrific, very good for dreaming.

"White" is exactly what I get as well. A strong morphing takes place about 5 minutes after it's on the skin. Thank goodness.

In the bottle, I immediately thought (and said out loud) "Ew?" It smells...I just can't describe it. Medicine-y, but with flowers underneath. It's really weird. There's a definite bitter bite to this in the bottle, but I never give up hope at the wet sniff!

After 5 minutes (or less) on the skin, the bite goes away and I'm left with the most gorgeous, delicate, white flower scent imaginable. It's just WHITE. Pure. Exactly what moonlight would smell like if you could capture its scent! Perfect. :P

I am SOOOOO glad I nabbed 10mL of this before it got discontinued. Oh Luna, how I love thee!!

at first: very sweet, like maraschino cherries.

on: fruitier than i thought it would be. sweet and almost dark, like cherries.

1 hour later: still fruity, but a bit floral, too.

8 hours later: barely there, but i can still smell a hint of flowers.

overall: i'm glad i got this one. it's very cool and feminine. lovely.

Luna

This was a freebie from the lab. Thanks!

Preconceived notions: Good for moon magic?

In the vial: ylang ylang, and some sharp pungent herb. Nice, but not what I’d call lunar...

11:00

On me: Is there some sweet almond in this? It’s really clashing with the ylang ylang - to a feverish pitch. So far, I’m not enjoying this overmuch.

Over time: Sharp white florals. I much prefer Midnight for my lunar scent.

Overall: I think I’ll be swapping this one.

In The Imp: I could not pin down a single scent.

Wet On Skin: Ylang-ylang, maybe jasmine, something soft and floral and incredibly feminine.

Dried: Starts to get a little powder-y smelling, with hints of something green smelling underneath the jasmine/ylang-ylang

Overall Opinion: I didn't think I liked it in the imp, but on my skin it was lovely. Soft, delicate, and demure. It makes me sad that it's discontinued. *sniffle*

Initial Sniff: In the bottle I smell something fruity and jasmine.

Wearing: JASMINE! No remnants of fruitiness remain. And then the ylang ylang appears. And it does what it always does - goes all bitter and gross on my skin.

Final Impressions: I like fruit, I like jasmine. I do not like what ylang ylang does on me. So sad!

I had to try this a couple of times to make up my mind about it.

In the imp: A cloud of jasmine. Actually, I could smell the jasmine even before opening the imp, really fresh and heady, as though it had been fresh-picked.

Initial application: There's another floral coming out and tangling with the jasmine - it's something else similarly sweet/heady, but I can't quite place it. It's not as strong as I would expect for a jasmine scent - the first time I was quite sparing because it smelled so strong in the imp, but the second wearing I applied more and still found it gentler than expected.

Through the day: Although I would expect a moon-oriented blend to be a very 'white' scent, I'd categorize this more as a pale greeny-yellow. There's a bit of a citrus-hard-candy tang to it under the florals, and over time, something herbal comes out, as though I'd grabbed a handful of night-blooming flowers and crushed the stems and leaves in my hands.

However, there seems to be something in it that goes a bit sour on me after a couple of hours - it must be a minor note, because the sourness isn't overpowering, but it kind of hangs there under the scent, a bit like the sourness of skin the day after a night of heavy drinking.

I wanted to love this... but it's probably just as well I don't, seeing as it's discontinued. I do like it, though, and will use up the imp.

In the Bottle Almond fluid langour

Wet Oh, wow. The smell of the crushingly beautiful moonlight, full silvery lovliness in late summer....... How does Beth do it?

Drydown This is the kinda of perfume you wear just for yourself. ::swoons::

this isn't pretty in the way that most perfumes are..... pretty in the sense of how it makes you feel, and not what it smells like. The almond has simmered down. Pale translucent florals, without the sweetness or greeness, or headiness........ underbrush, shadows, and softness.........

Two Hours Later Soft mimosa, almond, honey, gardenia/wisteria, and skin....... I am so sad this was discontinued........ It's so lovely..... and the mood it leaves you in.......

Verdict Lovely. Just lovely.

Edited by etherealchild

Luna: I love this....

In the Vial: I think I smell Jasmine or Ylang Ylang

Wet: Jasmine or Ylang Ylang and something a bit fruity, I can't pinpoint it though.

Dry: Lovely Jasmine and Ylang Ylang... This is so beautiful, I really like this scent. It's sweet, and floral, and lovely.... I'd love to get more of this.

Conclusion: I'll horde my imp and try to get another one or a bottle of it... This is beautiful.

In bottle: Cherries, with another fruit. Grapefruit or orange I think; something citrus and light. But it isn't just fruit, there's a spice or an herb tempering it, but overall it is still quite bright.

On me: It goes very green and herbally after it dries. The fruit notes are still there, but the smell completely different; more like - well, never mind, they've disappeared too. This is very rapidly going floral instead. Jasmine - night-blooming jasmine I'm sure - has come wafting up, and its heavy perfume always drowns anything else out on me.

First impression: sharp, sweet in a way I don't like. Reminds me of either anise, bitter almond or Dana O'Shea. That note fades within 2 minutes fortunately.

5 minutes later: Soft, lightly sweet, something warm & diffuse below. No clue what.

15 minutes late: Huh. This is odd. One minute it's completely gone, the next it's back and relatively strong. Something sweet/floral. Not quite jasmine, slightly sharper.

Either this scent or my nose is very, very confused. It's a little like someone has created a bizarre mutant crossbreed of a strobe light and Lex Talionis.

In conclusion: I'm just confused.

Luna:

Originated from: Celestials Circular swap

Wet: Oh, yum. This is soft, floral yet fruity.. it almost reminds me of what 'traditional lunar oils' should smell like, and it's very reminiscent of Chaste Moon, in my opinion.

Drydown: White. I smell something white. White, clean, breezy. Not quite creamy, but close. Hints of cherries and jasmine are present. This is a gorgeous scent.

Longterm wear: If I could buy a big bottle of this, I'd do it in a heartbeat.