Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Vicomte de Valmont

I promised her my eternal love, and I actually thought that for a couple of hours. Rake, scoundrel, demon in a frock coat. Devilishly seductive, ultimately tragic; a villain undone and redeemed by love. Based on an 18th century gentlemen’s cologne: ambergris, white musk, white sandalwood, Spanish Moss, orange blossom, three mints, jasmine, rose geranium and a spike of rosemary.

Valmont is just DAMN sexy. Aquatic, a little herbal and slightly floral without being the least bit femme. True to its namesake, this scent puts me in mind of rich, bored, wicked, sexually-charged 18th century French aristocrats. At the risk of waxing too poetic, it is the scent that a vicious lover would leave on your pillows after he has betrayed you.

EDIT: Added Lab's description --Shollin Edited by Shollin

This is defintaly a Mans cologne, even with the floras in it. There is no mistaking this for a femm scent.

This discription reminded me of my boyfriend so I put a bottle in his stocking. I *tested* it before I gave it to him, The lavender and flowers really stand out to me, and this is great stuff, I love when he wears it!~

it had all of his favorite oils, rosemary, mint, and jasmine. This stuff reminded him of the old perfume *Russian Leather* what his grandpa wore. He fell in love with it. I couldnt of picked a better perfume. The lavender and flowers really stand out to me, and this is great stuff! I love when he wears this one!!

Edited by Shollin

From Love Potions

When wet like overpowering aftershave. Not at all feminine on me and not pleasant at the moment either. This is making my eyes run and I want to sneeze, can't decide what is so unpleasant to me. Improves slightly when dry, but really can't take to this at all. This is the first one I am going to wash off immediately!

I love BPAL perfumes, but this one and my skin chemistry didn't hit it off. I'm one of the people who makes Chanel 5 smell disgusting.

I put the Vicomte on my fella this morning to test it, and it was a huge mistake.

He smelled soooo good, I could hardly keep from sniffing him. In fact, he smelled so good we almost didn't make it out to breakfast. I even considered skipping class, the ultimate no-no in weekend courses, since they only meet once a week and cover 3 days worth of material in one. He wasn't moved by the scent much, but was impressed that I obviously was.

In fact, Vicomte de Valmont smelled so good, it totally distracted me from the conversation at hand, which boiled down to him not being ready for a serious relationship. 12 hours later, I have no idea if we'll still be seeing each other but keeping it light, or if he's ruled that as impossible. All I know is that he smelled so good I couldn't think and that the waitress kept my coffee cup full for a change. :P

ViciousViolet's review of the scent itself needs no additions - she encapsulated my impression of this one perfectly! However, I have no hesitation about wearing this one if he's not going to be around to slather it on ... it's that fantastic. It's definitely man-in-a-bottle, though.

Edited by jj_j

Just got this one today for Chris, and I am so incredibly glad I ordered an Imp of it! I *will* be needing a 10ml of this one! :P

Our first thoughts... it is very similar to Drakkar, but better. Why better? First... because I'm not sneezing like I do when I smell Drakkar (and other commercially-produced perfumes). And second... while Drakkar does have swoon-inducing properties, multiply those by 1000 and you have Beth's divine creation. Just seconds after applying it to Chris, I wanted to pounce on him. And I think the best reason... Beth doesn't use artificial fragrances to make hers. :D

I got this as a freebie from the lab but don't think that I would have picked it by myself. In the bottle it was everything I hated about the cologne guys used to wear in highschool. I am so sorry! I just have a ton of bad associations with something in this. I tried to wear it anyways just to make sure, although I am nto usually that attracted to masculine scents. Ugh musk. No really *MUSK*. I wish I had read the description before trying it on. My skin really likes musk and tends to over amplify it. I unfortunately am not a fan. I managed not to scrub it off, and after about and hour and a half it became ok, although nothing I would pick even so. None of the notes stuck out in particular, but at least it wasn't musk. I am so sad that I didn't find any of the mints as I love mint. Unfortunately, this one won't be a keeper for me.

at first: um, ewww. this smells like the men's cologne counter at a department store. i don't have high hopes for this one.

on: yup. men's department store cologne. this isn't going to be good.

half an hour later: hmmm...much better. now, it smells like a simple, sweet floral, with something dark underneath. not bad.

5.5 hours later: this is almost gone. i just smell the tiniest hint of sweetness.

overall: it didn't really impress me. the imp will be swapped.

In the vial, Vicomte de Valmont is very sharp and astringent -- not in an unpleasant way, but it smells very much like one of the cheap aftershaves we carry at work.

On me, it really mellows out and loses the sharp minty aspect. It's a smooth, polished, masculine floral with a hint of sex.

It smells like a reeeeeeally good man.

First sniff: Dang. Air freshener. Fabric softener. Sigh. I wanted a scoundrel!

Wearing: Apparently, Vicomte de Valmont smells more interesting on guys (and on just about everyone else)… on me it’s just laundry. It’s not at all unpleasant, but just sort of a nondescript “clean” scent.

(I really love viciousviolet's description of this one!)

With my 'untrained' nose, I am unable to pick out any single notes in this scent, but I don't care :D because it smells like a sexy, sexy, intelligent and mysterious man. (Reminds me of someone I know... :D ) In the bottle, it does resemble a commercial men's scent, but I've been using Vicomte in my car (I have the Body Shop aromatherapy plug-in) and I keep getting very pleasantly distracted by the scent. I do not find it typical at all, not cheap-smelling in any way.

I have yet to try it on myself, but it's such a deliciously masculine scent that I think I'd like to keep it off my own body so I can imagine it on someone else's. :P

Must purchase a bigger bottle! I want my car to smell like this forever. :D

Trying to get your guy hooked on BPAL? I think this is the perfect initiation scent. It reminds me of Curve for men. I think Vicomte de Valmont is an inoffensive, all-around likeable scent for any guy. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a masculine scent, or looking to get a gift for a man even if you aren't sure of his tastes.

I keep meaning to review this and keep forgetting since I gave it to the boy, but I tried it last night and...

First sniff:

No clue how to describe it other than to say this smells like a generic department store's men's cologne. That's not a bad thing, just very surprising with it being BPAL and all. :D

Wet on skin:

It still smells like men's cologne...any men's cologne, they all smell more or less the same to me, other than Old Spice and this is definitely not Old Spice. If I concentrate, I can pick out the rosemary and sandalwood, but only because I know they're in there.

Dry down:

I smell like the men's cologne department of Marshall Field's, it's just that simple. It's a pleasant scent, no doubt about it, I just didn't expect it from a BPAL oil. I think I prefer Darkness on both the boy and myself, but this is okay. It'd be good for getting a guy with a love of mainstream perfumes to come over to the dark side, though. :P

The bottom line:

A little too generic for my tastes. I don't want to smell like a generic department store perfume and I'd rather my boy didn't either, so while this is a pleasant enough scent, it's definitely not one of my favorites.

Well, DH has worn this for two days and I am in love with this fragrance. It's a great, everyday fragrance for a man to wear (definitely male here, no question). It's nice for the office and for weekends.

It starts out rather aquatic and I was really uncertain about it on him (it smelled like Cool Water), but then it warms up, opens up and...well, this is just a sensual, very seductive scent. It isn't overbearing or demanding like some men's colognes. It brings you closer and ensares you with it's scent. Very bewitching indeed.

Aaah! My spouse put this one on and I fell in love. It does remind me of "normal" mens' fragrances, but, at least on Ryan, this oil is much more interesting than that. I think it's more complex, but it's also smoother in a way. There's definitely an edge to it, so I don't mean that it's a smooth scent, exactly. It's just that there's no synthetic sharpness, as with normal, alcohol-laden colognes...it's just delicious. I think it's very sexy and masculine, and quite warm and spicey. I want to order him a bottle of it. :P

I bought this for a friend for xmas, he is not into oils.. so I thought this would be a good choice. I tried some on myself, and I have to say, I LOVE IT!!!!!!! At first it is just like most men's colognes out there in the market... but then as it dries down, it becomes so damn, freakin deliscious!!!! I love it, and I cant wait to get a man, so I can bathe him in this stuff and jump his bones! Yes, it is that good to me! :P :D

Oh, no. :/ So I tried this on my arm, even though it's much too masculine for me, and it began to morph into this wonderful sexy man smell, which I loved... for about two minutes before my nose clogged and I started to have a /lot/ of trouble breathing.

I think I must be allergic to orange blossom. :P

Out of the bottle, I know this scent! After scratching my head for a minute, it struck me.. this smells just like CK one! weird huh? I used to wear ck in middle school.

After a few minutes the commercial smell fades and I'm left with a very mossy citrucy yet soft blend. Very masculin and crisp. Refined, but I can see how there is a twist of heartwrenching evil in it. All around, I must try this on my boyfriend and see what happens.

I love the sharpness of the scent, the spikey aroma of rosemary and citrus blending into the lavender. It reminds me of the Renaissance Faire near where I live, perhaps because of the name. There's something bright like a crush of mint leaves to it. I could sniff this bottle all day long.

Sadly the scent seems muted on my skin and not as vibrant. It becomes more floral and less bright. Still, I very much enjoy the scent.

Vicomte de Valmont

Preconceived notions: I actually got this for a friend of mine, but when I smelled it in the bottle, I had to keep it.

In the vial: a lovely, pungent lavender (yes, I like pungent lavender). I can’t pick out any other notes, except that it seems piney and strong. It vaguely reminds me of the Yankee Candle Midsummer Night, which I love.

On me: Yes, Midsummer Night. Mmm...

In a few minutes: This softens slightly as it dries, but at the same time, it has incredible throw. The throw is much darker and spicier than the closer scent. Definitely fitting for our vicomte. It is lavender over a dark, green core. It is perfectly named in my opinion - smelling exactly the way I’d imagine an elegant, aristocratic rascal to smell. This man is a professional seducer, a sexual predator in the old-fashioned sense (one who lures innocent maidens into the evil temptation of desire - NOT a rapist)

Later: vanilla? Mmm... very sensual, and still quite seductive. The vanilla is stronger than the lavender at this stage, but the lavender is still there.

In half an hour: It has mostly faded by now, but I’m getting some musk, I think - some “generic” note that speaks of sexual tensions under the current. But it’s very, very hard to smell at this point.

I thought it was gone, but an hour later, I smell something wonderful in the air. I checked my hair - no, not that. I checked my skin, since I took a shower, but this doesn’t seem to be the same scent as my soap. . . It suddenly dawns on me - it’s the Vicomte! This is the original scent, as in the vial, and it’s wafting all around me, yet my wrists (the only place I put it), still don’t smell. Oh, this is delightful.

Overall: I love it. This is definitely a dashing scent, for women or men (in my opinion). There’s a charming, outgoing lavender, hiding a deep, underlying sexuality and a hard core of an uncompromising will. Fantastic.

Yes, it smells like guys' cologne. I like how it smells. Giving it to my boyfriend because it smells very similar to the stuff he has. He doesn't like my BPAL stuff, but he should like this one... going to be interesting :P

This has quickly become my favorite scent to wear. Ever. I keep it in my purse (that's high up on my perfume food chain let me tell you!)

It does, in fact, smell like CK One on me. And I liked One... but this fades more into something sexy and ambiguous to me.. It doesn't stay all day though, but I like reapplying

Oddly enough it smells bad on Jody and he dislikes it on himself. But its great on me. Maybe it's all the testosterone :P Its on the "Big Bottle" List :D

As others have said, this smells to me (and on me) very much like a generic department store men's aquatic cologne. Except Valmont here has an intriguing bitter finish. This would be interesting on a guy, especially if his chemistry broke down and separated the components a bit more. Again, to repeat, a good introductory scent to BPAL before you start throwing so of the more, hmm, eccentric blends at him.

hmmm yes this one reminds me of a department store men's cologne, not a cheap one mind you, but way too generic for my tastes, swapping it for sure.

First Impression: *thud*

Second Impression: This smells so good on me, I can't even utter anything intelligible as I sniff at this. I've always had a bit of the thing for Cool Water and this is what Cool Water aspires to be. VdV is clean, sexy and that white musk note just takes my breath away.

Final Analysis: Bunny might just have a fight on his hands when he gets home from work as I want to slather him, head to toe, in this seductive blend.

This is insanely masculine. As in, it smells like cologne. I can smell the amberguis, musk, moss, and rosemary. There's also something very slightly sweet in here--the rose geranium?

A great way to make the cologne-loving boy convert to BPAL :P