Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chin

Lilac!

If you want smoky lilac, the departing Dogs Playing Poker (in the Salon) scent His Station and Four Aces might fit the bill though that might have gone offline last night...

Ouija has both lilac and smoky notes in it, as well!

Brimstone and Djinn are good GC ones for that smoky scent, and could layer well with most any floral...though Phantom Queen is my favorite GC scent for the 'spring floral' smell. Poisson d'Avril is my favorite LE scent for the spring floral!

You may have to experiment with floral blends and smoky blends to find ones that you like that will layer nicely together - in addition to the suggestions people are posting, you can find woodsmoke recs here and lilac here.

Sarada, His Station and Four Aces came to mind for me too! I haven't had a chance to try it yet though - I'm waiting on it with my Friday the 13th order.

Living so far south, I don't think this is a scent I will ever experience walking outside in the spring...

Resurrecting this thread because if you're looking for a primarily lilac blend, Asphodel fits the bill. It's pure lilac on me.

I got lilacs out of Eos, though it's not listed as a component. It's been a while since I've had an imp to sniff, though, so it could just be the honeysuckle fooling my nose.

I never miss an opportunity to petition for Bruja to be resurrected so here it goes...

WE WANT BRUJA BACK!!! :P

I wasn't around for Bruja (or Blue Lilac SN, sadly!), but I'd love to see something heavy on lilac. So I'll join in on the "Bring Back Bruja" chant!

Dragon's Eye is the only lilac blend I've tried, and it does smell much like lilac.

My lilac bushes are blooming right now, and I'm obsessed!

I'm so glad this thread was revived -- lilac is my favorite and my bushes are waning now, so the lovely scent is gone.

I'm anxious to try the others mentioned (Ouija and Veil didn't work for me at all). But I did find a perfect one since the original thread -- Melancholia in The Salon. It's so wonderfully lilacy I couldn't believe it. The bad part is that while it has good throw, it doesn't last very long. But I'm planning to buy bottles so I can slather it on with aplomb.

I wasn't around for Bruja (or Blue Lilac SN, sadly!), but I'd love to see something heavy on lilac. So I'll join in on the "Bring Back Bruja" chant!

Same here -- please bring it back!

...But I did find a perfect one since the original thread -- Melancholia in The Salon. It's so wonderfully lilacy I couldn't believe it. ...

I second this! I have a bottle of Melancholia coming in my next lab order.

I was also very excited about the lilac in Virahotkantita (from the Faces of the Heroine series that came out for Lupercalia). I orginally got a decant from a friend because it also has cedar, which loves to dominate a blend on me. But I get tons of lilac backed up by stargazer lily - just heavenly. So if you lilac lovers can hunt down a decant or a bottle, you may be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

I'm sitting in front of a vase of white lilacs in my office, and I can barely keep my nose out of them. It's gotten me in the mood for a lilac perfume. I'm hopeful about the lab's blends, but a little wary, because I've never found a lilac perfume/soap/candle/etc. that has smelled as good as the real thing.

I want to try Les Fleurs du Mal and Melancholia. I'm iffy on Dragon's Eye, because I don't like dragon's blood and I'm afraid it will overpower the lilac.

Thanks for all the recommendations :P

On me, His Station and Four Aces (from April's LE Dogs Playing Poker series) is very lilac - I barely get any white musk or leather.

Edited by dzurlady

Ooooh, lilac.... :P

Pontarlier is a great mostly-lilac scent on me...totally reminds me of the lilac bushes in spring when I was a kid. Gorgeous.

Queen Gertrude, although I think it's technically wisteria, is the *only* BPAL that really "feels" like lilac to me...Dragon's Eye, although the lilac note is clear, is so much warmer w/ the dragon's blood, whereas Gertrude is all palest-purple clean floral loveliness, the way I think of lilacs. :P

The song "Honey, Watch Your Ass" by Magnolia Electric Co has this lovely scent-image:

That must be her up there

Perfume and cigarette smoke in her wild hair

She smells a little like a train

Hauling lilacs through the rain

It sounds like a scent description BPAL would use. :P Does it match anything in the catalogue? If not, Beth needs to make it...

That's really funny, ClareN! :P At least one of your fellow forum members yearns for a smoky lilac scent, so you might be on to something. (ETA: I ended up merging the thread about smoky lilac scents into this one, so the link was dead!)

I'm getting lots of beautiful lilac when I wear Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree, and I love the way the other notes in the blend work with it. I think all of you lilac lovers need to put this one on your list if you haven't tried it already!

Just in case anyone else has been lilac-crazed lately (as I am every year about this time), I thought I would revive this thread. I just put on some White Moon (Lunacy November 2006) and it is a sweet heady rush of lush lilac indeed. Anyone else want to recommend anything lilac-y?

It's been mentioned in this thread, but Whitechapel was extremely lilac-y on me. It's all lime in the imp, but it turns into lilacs as soon as it hits my skin. Unfortunately, although I love the scent of real lilacs blooming in the spring, I do not love the way lilac perfumes bloom on my skin. :P

I can also smell lilac in Lysander, Famine, and Bad Luck Woman Blues, although none of these are pure (or even predominantly) lilac scents.

When I wear Dragon's Blood, it dries down to a slightly woodsy lilac scent on me. I don't know if other people get this effect, but if you're looking for a lilac blend, you might want to give it a try.

I'm testing Bensiabel (plum juice, lilac, leather, and a smattering of herbs) today, and on me it's a lot of lilac, a little leather, and maybe a faint whisper of greenery (no plum to be found!). It reminds me of His Station and Four Aces, minus that lovely starry white musk. I like it!

Lilac is perhaps my favorite floral note. My collection includes White Moon, Ashlultum, Maltese Cross, Whitechapel, Veil, Villain, Marcilla. I just used my last drop of Villain last week, so I must put that on the wish list for a restock. :yum:

Might I suggest the Sailor's den....under the retail exclusive oils...the lilac note is amped on my skin!