Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chin

Lilac!

I am looking for an oil that has lilac as the main note - from reviews, I'm wondering about Bat's Blood and Dragon's Eye ... are there any others I should be sampling?

cheers

i don't know about main notes, but a quick search will give you the ones that are lilac-y enough to have a mention in the description

Q!

not sure why, but I didn't realize that your engine was capable of that ... that's awesome. cheers, lady!

Ok, so I have these, plus Bat's Blood ...

Bruja: Menacing, bewitching and darkly sexual. A blend of myrrh, amber and lilac.

Dragon's Eye: A piercing, radiant perfume: dragon's blood resin, lily of the valley, lilac and galbanum.

Veil: A quiet scent, soft, calm and enigmatic. A perfume of mystery, of whispers, and of secrets behind secrets. White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.

Whitechapel: A gentlemen's blend, possessed of dignity, charm and refinement, but in truth masking a corrupted, hideous, soulless core. White musk, lime, lilac and citron.

Spectre: A wispy, ethereal perfume with a touch of menace. Lilac, tuberose, Lily of the Valley, palmarosa, and white sandalwood.

Villain: A classic Victorian men's cologne: a lavender fougere, with hints of lilac, lime, and citrus musk.

Les Fleurs du Mal: The scents of the blossoms of darkness, condensed into one perfume. Features a rose base, softened with lilac and wisteria.

Nocturne: An olfactory serenede. A somber, contemplative scent -- dreamy and subdued. Deepest violet touched with lilac and tuberose.

Cordelia: The essence of faith, love and devotion: lilac, lemon, green tea, wisteria, osmanthus, white cedar, and Chinese musk.

Viola: Gentle tea rose, lilac, Calla Lily, and Somalian Rose layered over golden Peruvian amber, Spanish moss, red sandalwood, rosewood, and myrrh, with the lightest touch of Mandarin.

Lilac (single note)

I will also look in the Reviews section for comments on these, but if anyone has thoughts on these or others whose components might not be listed (e.g. tarot oils or voodoo blends) I'd appreciate it!

Did you know that the scent of lilacs is one that is very closely related to ghosts and hauntings? Can't tell you where I read that but was quite intrigued.

No, I didn't, Cinder!

I'm thinking of giving some lilac oils to friends as a house-warming present, I wonder if that might be a bad idea? Or good idea, depending on whether they want to be spirit-friendly :P

I would go for it anyway; it is a very thoughtful and lovely gesture on your part, and you have impecible taste for choosing such a lovely scent too! :-) Could be the spirit attraction to it had to do with lilac being primarily a women's single-note scent for many, many years. And it does linger, in a haunting type way!

Did you know that the scent of lilacs is one that is very closely related to ghosts and hauntings?  Can't tell you where I read that but was quite intrigued.

That's realy interessting! I've always loved that smell, in fact I chose lilacs for my wedding bouqet just cause I love the smell so much...

:P

Ok, so I have these, plus Bat's Blood ...

[...]

Veil:  A quiet scent, soft, calm and enigmatic. A perfume of mystery, of whispers, and of secrets behind secrets. White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang. 

[...]

Spectre:  A wispy, ethereal perfume with a touch of menace. Lilac, tuberose, Lily of the Valley, palmarosa, and white sandalwood.

I will also look in the Reviews section for comments on these, but if anyone has thoughts on these or others whose components might not be listed (e.g. tarot oils or voodoo blends) I'd appreciate it!

I think that these two, at least, were commented on here in a discussion of spooky/creepy/ghosty scents:

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=574

Hope this helps!

Edited by byrdie

Just commenting on the lilacs+hauntings thing.

In history, Lilacs have been planted to protect property and inhabitants from ghosts. It's got a reputation for protecting from the restless dead.

I too looove the scent. Can't wait for the lilacs on the yard to bloom! :P

-Milk

Ooh! That's so interesting about lilacs and ghosts!

My favorite lilac scent is Bruja. The myrrh and amber seem to keep the lilac from going into floral overkill.

Just wanted to add that Dragon's Eye smells *strongly* of lilacs. Almost a pure scent, so if you haven't ordered yet, definitely get that if you're still looking for a lilac scent.

What's the closest to pure lilac I'm going to get? I know there are several blends with a lilac note in them, but I'm looking for something with strong, prominent lilac.

Ohh ohh ohh! Lilac being my absolute favorite flower, and one of the few flowery scents I'd wear....I'd like to know too! ^^

Me too! I love lilac and I'd love to find that one of these blends was strongly lilac.

I can safely say that I don't get a lilac thing from Veil at all, nor with Villain or Cordelia.

Dragon's Eye reviews seem to hint strongly that it might be a good lilac blend. And though people mention the "flowers" of Oujia a lot, I would guess that the tea rose might overpower the lilac.

I've tried all of the current scents with lilac listed as a note, and none of them are strongly lilac to me (or not what I would call strongly lilac). Beth used to have a Blue Lilac single note, but of course that's gone.

These are the ones that came up on the search of current scents with lilac:

Dragon's Eye

Ouija

Veil

Blood Countess

Villain

Himerus

Les Fleurs Du Mal

Nocturne

Cordelia

Viola

Whitechapel

And the discontinued ones:

Bruja

Spectre

Blue Lilac

I've heard Dragon's Eye is the closest one could get to a lilac scent right now, since the Blue Lilac SN is gone. Too bad, because I heard from the reviews that it was really something, and I missed the lilacs blooming while I was in Tokyo.

Whitechapel is very citrusey-lilac on my hubby. When it dries down, it appears to have a very heady, sweet lilac scent to it on him. However, many others have expressed they have gotten no lilac from it.

From what I recall, Blood Countess did not have a heavy lilac note to it, it was more of a hint that just sweetened up everything else. I got a lot of berries, rose and wine in this one.

Whitechapel was very lilac on me. All soft sweet lilacs and a hint of musk and citrus. I hardly got the citrus at all, but a lot of other people do.

But like judas_kiss said.. it really depends.

I haven't tried the others with lilac, though, although I probably am now...

I'm afraid of Whitechapel being too masculine... did you find that it was?

To my nose, no. It is a very flowery-masculine fragrance and there are a lot of ladies in the forum who sing its praises. I would call it a "chilly" fragrance, for sure, though.

Edited by judas_kiss

I vote for Whitechapel. Very lilac.

Oddly enough I would recommend that you try Regan. It is orchid and vanilla but it gives me the impression of lilac. Sounds strange and I really mean it. :P

Whitechapel definitely wasn't very lilac for me. I got a lot of lemon/lime and white musk in that one...and it seemed very masculine. Ahhh body chemistry, different on everyone!