Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chin

Lilac!

Lilac lovers, unite! :P

On me (and, again, like VelvetSky says, we're all different!), I got strong lime from Whitechapel for the first half hour. However, citrus of any kind doesn't last, and when it dries--pure lilac. Personally, I think you should try it, at least--it's the most lilac-heavy of the current BPALs, to me.

Veil didn't work with my chemistry, but you might want to give it a try also. Les Fleurs Du Mal is a gorgeous floral--more violet than lilac on me, but quite nice.

I too love lilac, and was lucky enough to snag the single note while it was still available. Dragon's Eye is too "woodsy" and dry for me, but it might work on you. I really like Bruja--but it might be hard to get hold of. I think Spectre (also discontinued, sorry) had quite a bit of lilac too.

Not very helpful, am I?

Good luck with your search! :D

Les Fleurs Du Mal was mostly lilac on me. Unfortunate, because I don't actually like lilac. Some people got more rose than lilac out of it, but you still might want to try it. :P

Try Chuparosa, a voodoo blend. The notes aren't listed in the description, but this one was very lilac-y to me, much more than Whitechapel, which has a sharper edge in my experience.

Whitechapel definitely wasn't very lilac for me. I got a lot of lemon/lime and white musk in that one..

Ditto. It was very bright yellow feeling fragrance and lemony with a hint of powder at first to my skin. Then gradually becomes more powdered...which was kind of sucky, but it's still pretty good. To be honest, it really is more of a "uni-sex" scent on me. It's not too masculine, but it's not girlie either, I just it just depends on body chemistry (doesn't it always? :D). Sadly, I never got any lilac from it either.

I've tried these:

Dragon's Eye

Ouija

Veil

Whitechapel

and must not have gotten much lilac (if at all), since I'm currently not wearing them. :D Lilac is such a beautiful scent, it's a shame finding a good blend (although a single would be nice) is so difficult.

Dragon's Eye was overpowering on the dragon's blood (duh), but I just doin't like how perfumey BPAL's dragon's blood is. Ouija was too much rosewood drowning everything else out on my skin. Veil was just waaay too much floral, so chaotic I couldn't identify the lilac.

I simply adore lilac and will have to try some of the recommendations given! :P

Out of those mentioned, I get the most lilac out of Dragon's Eye and Bruja. Veil is much more lavendery than lilac on me, Whitechapel is all citrus and musk, Ouija is dry wood/faint spice/light floral, Chuparosa is honeysuckle rose... and in the others (besides Spectre and Himerus, which I haven't tried yet), some other floral tends to dominate. Your mileage may vary, though!

Tried Whitechapel again last night, just to refresh my memory. Nope, no lilac on my skin down to the drydown. A bit of sweet powderiness, maybe that's the lilac, but it's not the fresh lilac I wanted. The citrus notes and the musk kinda dominate on me.

Maybe Beth will read this and whip up a new lilac scent for all of us lilac lovers? :P

Okay, I put on Whitechapel today to see if I got lilac and I got lilac/musk/slightly lime after the initial LIME phase wore off. Very nice scent, very pretty. I do agree, however, that this is not the smell of freshly cut lilac, but more of a powdery lilac smell. It smells so much better on my hubby.

Lilac is pretty much my fave scent. I've got some Blue Lilac SN and I think Dragon's Eye is probably the closest. Dragon's Eye is super strong, super long lasting lilac. There's only the merest hint of anything else there, at least for me. Here's my rundown of the other current scents with lilac and how they worked (or didn't work) on me...

Ouija- all I got was wood and rose. Mostly wood though.

Veil- the gardenia and violets dominate and make this very soapy on me.

Blood Countess- this is all dark red berries on me.

Villain- I think my dislike of citrus held me back on this one. I should try it.

Himerus- I haven't tried it on yet but when I sniffied it in the vial it wasn't very lilac-y.

Les Fleurs Du Mal- I had high hopes for this one but it went straight to old lady powder.

Nocturne- Haven't tried yet because violet isn't a good note for me.

Cordelia- This was iffy on me and I couldn't pick up any lilac.

Viola- Mandarin and rose both react strangely with my skin chemistry. No lilac here.

Whitechapel- LIME! Then powdery with a hint of lilac

Maybe Beth will read this and whip up a new lilac scent for all of us lilac lovers?  :P

Oh god, if only! I wish I'd been around the BPAL fandom when the Blue Lilac SN was out, because I would've stocked up on it like no tomorrow. Lilac is one of my most favorite scents, and I was hoping I'd find a gorgeous lilac oil in BPAL, but alas, it looks grim. I'm going to go after Dragon's Eye, since it seems to have gotten the most votes for most lilac. Thanks for the help, everyone! (And please, let's continue discussing the beauty of lilac, and maybe Beth will get the hint...) :D

I saw a mention of Chuparosa, I don't get lilac from it, but I do adore it. It is one of my fave blends. That and Eos are both lovely spring florals. If you like other springy florals, you might want to give 'em a try. :P

While I got an intense lilac when sniffing Dragon's Eye, but on my skin, it went kinda...weird. I could smell the lilac from far away, but when I brought my wrist up for a sniff, it wasn't there.

I'd kill for a Blue Lilac SN imp or 5 ml bottle--I'm a huge lilac lover.

Dragon's Eye is sun-warmed lilacs for me. Ouija seems to vary on me... it was 'all lilac all the time' the first couple of times I tried it, but then I put it on a few days ago (after not trying the imp for a few months), and just got rose.

What I'd really love one day is a scent with primarily lilac in both the top and the drydown, and maybe a bit of incense floating around. Or even a lilac that's faintly herbal would be cool with me.

Dragon's Eye ends up strongly metallic and smelling of just dragon's blood on me, although I do get a little lilac in the topnote also.

I don't know enough about how notes blend to claim it would actually work if formulated, but I would be clamoring to try a lilac and sandalwood scent if it existed!

I've found my perfect lilac scent: SEA OF GLASS.  It's such lovely lilacy goodness!

Exactly what I was going to say! I saw lilac in the title and immediately thought of Sea of Glass.

I knew I was going to like it when I tried it, sounded very serene and very Emily. It smelled like lilac bushes near sand and lake. It's the PERFECT lilac scent... the best smelling version of lilac, too.

You know, for those with issues with lilacs going bye-bye, you might want to try layering a lilac lotion/soap combo with one of the aforementioned BPAL creations. I just bought my mom Green Lady Soap's lotion (the heavier one) and soap in Lilac Haze and, according to her, it is crazy gorgeous and pretty much a single note. It also has great staying power, so I think it would work well to amp up the Lilac.

Just my $.02, but on me White Rabbit was incredibly lilac-y. Almost pure lilac. Granted, I have an odd chemistry (lilac isn't even listed as a component) but you might give it a shot!

:P

Edited by Avery

Reviving this thread as we head into lilac season and my craving for this scent grows. Anyone have any new thoughts about lilac since last September, about any new scents that have come out since then? (Or even about old ones?)

:P Beth, any chance of you blessing us with some sweet cool moist delicious lilac for spring? :D

Hope I'm not repeating an older post, I searched around and didn't see this anywhere, and since it is an odd scent combination I can understand why...

Anyhoo, It is cold, rainy and trying to snow (in the foothills anyway) and I was outside in the yard admiring our spring flowers. The breeze wafted the scent of lilacs to my nose, and then it was sharply overlaid by the scent of woodsmoke as someone must have a fire going. The combination of lilac and woodsmoke was interesting and unusual and I'd love to know if there's anything like that in BPAL. Or for that matter, any spring blossoms and woodsmoke. It may be necessary to layer scents to get what I'm looking for, any ideas?

ooooh, seconded. That sounds lovely.

A soft floral with woodsmoke notes...anyone have any ideas?

I don't know that that's attainable in a single scent, but maybe layering something like Dragon's Eye with Brimstone? Or, depending on how opium goes on you, Blood Countess might be worth checking out...