Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
imaginepageant

The blown-out candle smell...

You know when you blow out a candle and the smoke is curling up into the air, that smell? It's one of my favorite smells. I swear I liked blowing out my birthday cake candles almost as much as eating the actual birthday cake. I'd die if this were made into an oil, or if it already is—nothing I've seen sounds like it, but if I've missed it, someone please point it out to me!

I adore that smell!!!!

I get that smell in Temple: Daoist, which is TAL so it's a bit hard to get. Apparently Gypsy Queen has candle smoke as a note, but I haven't smelt it yet so I'm not sure.

Curling, wisping candle smoke is such a wonderfully mysterious smell. I was really intrigued by the mention of it in Gypsy Queen, but alas, I'm broke and there will be no Carnaval Noir (as long as I don't cave in the next week....)

Gypsy Queen, definitely. It's that smell, plus some floral incense, for me. Some people get the blown-out candle smell from Cathedral as well...I get that a bit, but it's more resiny than anything.

But I would definitely say that Gypsy Queen is the way to go if you can order it before Sept. 1!

Eidolon, sadly now discontinued, had that blown-out candle note to me. Perhaps you could track down an imp or a bottle through swaps, though. I would offer mine, but it was long since used up, as I also enjoy the candle smell. :P

I second (or third?) Gypsy Queen, as a blend that is currently available. And this is probably just me, but I think The Caterpillar also has that smell (among many other notes), although not quite as strong as in Gypsy Queen.

Both Hellfire and Brimstone (more the former) have a sort of fireplace-candle-burnt-smoke sort of quality to them. THere's also one that someone makes (albeit I forget who) that isn't BPAL called 'Fireside', but Fireside smells a lot like Hellfire anyway, so... yeah. Haven't tried Darkness though.

Darkness!! I even wrote that in my review 2 years ago :-)

quote of my own review:

Candles, blown out by a sudden chilly wind on a dark, dark night, that exactly how this smells to me. Candle smoke.

It's too heavy for me, to wear but it makes a great roomscent if you want that spooky feeling.

Edited by quinkel

Try Licwiglunga -- on me it was like a sour/tart pomegranate candle that was just blown out.

The Hand of Glory is exactly that smell plus leather, it's meant to be a human hand (the leather I guess) dipped in candle wax and lit. Smells like a candle, pure and simple.

Doubt you're still looking, but I would say Priala from Carnaval Diabolique fits this very well.

reviving this thread because it's a good one! and also, to add Hanerot Halalu to the list. yum. i'd say HH and Hand of Glory are BPAL's best blown-out-candle scents yet.