Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vicious Mistress

Looking for scents that smell like chai

I ordered a 5mL of White Rabbit on sight because the site mentioned black tea and spices over linen. I'm hoping it'll smell like chai. or, even if not I hope it really smells like black tea and linen - both things I love. :D

Well, word is that Beth herself has said that sweet Chai was what she was going for with Bengal...

...so what are you waiting for?? :P order it now!!

Try Snakeoil. Indonesian spices and vanilla- smells like vanilla Chai to me. Either way, it's one of the best BPAL scents. I'm still mourning the loss of Three Wiitches. Anyone have a suggestion on a replacement for that one?

Bengal=chai spices+honey+pale musk

Smells just like the black chai tea with honey I made earlier as I was trying it :P

Yup, I haven't tried it yet, but the word is that Bengal is the Chai thang! I can't wait to try it. joseybird, you have tried it, then? And was it scrumtilicious?

After reading around the forum for the past few days, i've been seeing chai tea comments all about. I was inspired to get iced chai last night. Easily influenced? No, not at all..... Yum. I could definitely deal with smelling like that for a while. Mmmmm.

Notes in Bengal, in order of intensity from highest to lowest (at least to my nose): Peppers, cinnamon bark, honey, ginger, clove, pale (white, I think) musk.

Do you like pepper? if yes, you'll love Bengal. If not? You'll hate it :P

gingerbread poppet layered with dorian smells just like the chai i get at the little coffee cart by the community garden i go to! :P

Bumping this for new developments!

The first whiff I got of the prototype of Plunder was awfully cassia/cinnamon-y. I didn't get a chance to see how it developed, though. Are there others we're missing here? I thought Bengal was missing, but I see now that it has been mentioned at least once. That one totally has my vote for closest to chai.

I have to say, though, that I totally prefer the spice in chai to the tea in chai. Anyone agree/disagree?

What about Tanamo-no-Mae and Bakeneko? Both remind me very much of chai, although they are different from one another.

plunder.

plunder smelled so much like chai on my skin i had to go and brew a pot. it's amazing.

I love the smell of chai, and so far none of the bpal oils smell like it on me. Bengal was too light on me, it was a nice skin scent, but didn't smell rich like chai. Personally I really want the black tea too, and its missing from most the BPAL blends that might me close otherwise.

Other companies do have chai scents though. I know Nocturne Alchemy had a LE Chai blend I bought, and Arcana has a Chai layering note I haven't tried yet.

I like cardamom in my chai. I have an excellent chai roobos with cardamom for drinking.

as to chailike BPAL, silk road was too intense for me. I haven't tried the Lion.

Is there one people can suggest with no rose or orange? (or vetiver, orris, and mint for that matter.)

Alice smells like chai to me, but it contains rose (though I don't smell rose at all). Bakeneko is another excellent chai-like scent, but has cherry blossom and tangerine.

Alice smells of nothing, literally zero, on me.

Dorian is vanilla-lemon tea, and Bengal is extrasweet chai. My own chai would fall somewhere betwen the two.

Alice definitely smells like rose on me.

I like Dorian fine and it was in my second bottle order ever.

Bengal simply doesn't work on me, alas.

Alice definitely smells like rose on me.

I like Dorian fine and it was in my second bottle order ever.

Bengal simply doesn't work on me, alas.

I haven't tried it, but you might like Plunder- it's been described as being chai without milk and sugar.

Lab description:

tea leaf, cassia, cinnamon bark, clove, allspice, sandalwood, tobacco, peppercorn, and nutmeg.

ETA: It's in Bewitching Brews.

Edited by cordia

I totally agree with Plunder - if Bengal is sweetened/milky chai, Plunder is chai steeping in your kitchen without the sweetness. It's really nice!

I do like Plunder and count dracula, but hadn't associated either with chai. Thanks.

I love this thread! I started making chai from scratch way back in 1998 or so, after seeing it mentioned in a spice book. For years, no one ever knew what I was talking about.

I tried Starbucks chai once, but didn't reallly care for it. I like to get chai from Indian restaurants, because everywhere else uses concentrates and mixes, it seems.

As far as BPAL... Dragon's Milk is on my list already. I'll have to add Bengal and Plunder now! And maybe convince my sis to let me try the Alice I bought her...

Now I want to make some chai. Except I have to leave for work soon...this job thing is ALWAYS getting in the way!

OH!!!

And if you want the milkiness to go with the chai-ness, definitely search out Milk Moon 05 to layer =)

OH!!!

And if you want the milkiness to go with the chai-ness, definitely search out Milk Moon 05 to layer =)

Hmm...do you think Milk Moon 07 would work? I have that one, actually.

I'm placing an order this weekend, and I'm definitely going to try Bengal, Plunder, and Dragon's Milk.

OH!!!

I'm placing an order this weekend, and I'm definitely going to try Bengal, Plunder, and Dragon's Milk.

It'd be a more tropical chai, if such a creature exists, but it sounds like an interesting experiment. The original Milk Moon was a more pure milky scent, as I recall. (Of course, I'm mostly just envious of anyone Milk Moon '07 works on. It'd have been great on me, if not for the sourness.)

OH!!!

It'd be a more tropical chai, if such a creature exists, but it sounds like an interesting experiment. The original Milk Moon was a more pure milky scent, as I recall. (Of course, I'm mostly just envious of anyone Milk Moon '07 works on. It'd have been great on me, if not for the sourness.)

Ah, okay. I'm not familiar with the original. I'm still fairly new to BPAL, so I didn't know what the difference was.

I can always try it at night. :P Then I can just go take a shower if it's horrible!