Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vicious Mistress

Looking for scents that smell like chai

I haven't found any BPAL that really smells like chai on me. Plunder is nice though, and I do love Dragons MIlk. :-)

Villainess Soaps Masala is the closest I've found. I have the Whipped on my hands right now & I can smell it waft around as I type. MMM.

It was weird but I got a sample of some chai tea in a swap. It was strong black tea with a lot of cardamom. About the same time I also got a decant of Alone, which smelled exactly like that brand of cardamom chai. Weird. I still dont like either because cardamom is not my favourite thing.

Well, I've just come to the stunning realisation that I've never actually had a good cup of chai... :P just the stuff from Starbucks, which I wasn't terribly impressed with.

Starbucks serves Tazo Chai (liquid in a box form). IMNSHO the yummiest chai teas on the market are Oregon Chai (liquid, mix it with milk) and Good Earth's Vanilla Chai (tea bags). Besides of course the chai or yogi tea you can get at an indian restaurant which are usually superior (but not always, sniff.)

Chai usually contains: black pepper, cardamom, clove, ginger, cinnamon, black tea and is mixed with milk and sugar or honey. So Bengal and Plunder both sound like they would be close!!

sometimes chai contains star anise. The "kashmiri chai" by Oregon Chai has almond in it (and is a green tea, not a black tea) but that is somewhat unusual. I don't think I've ever seen a chai with orange peel.

Pike Place Market Spice has orange peel and cinnamon, and is very good. Good Earth's signature blend is also an orange peel and spice. Yum. Neither are chai, but they are tasty tea.

Lush's "Chai" doesn't smell at all like Chai to me. :D I gave away the bottle I got in September to a male friend. I'm fairly picky about my chai scents, I'm a freak.

I made a super wonderful batch of chai tea soap but I think I'm out (except for my personal stash.)

Hello all!

I was having a cup of Vanilla Chai tea when it hit me! This smells amazing, I want to smell like this! It's the spiciness to the Chai that I really love...the vanilla mellows it down and makes it creamy. Any ideas to what might match this?

Thanks for the help!

Bengal, for sure, especially with a bit of age on it. The vanilla gets really pronounced and creamy. :P

Also Plunder layered with Love's Philosophy is also wonderful for a vanilla chai experience.

Hello all!

I was having a cup of Vanilla Chai tea when it hit me! This smells amazing, I want to smell like this! It's the spiciness to the Chai that I really love...the vanilla mellows it down and makes it creamy. Any ideas to what might match this?

Thanks for the help!

I'll second/third/fourth the recommendations for Bengal if you're looking for a vanilla chai scent. I can also see Andra's suggestion of Plunder + Love's Philosophy. For me, Bezoar (from the Carnaval Diabolique) is my ultimate chai scent. I would imagine you could layer it with anything vanilla-y (e.g., Love's Philosophy, Antique Lace, White Rabbit, Dorian, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, etc.) to get the effect you are looking for.

Great recs, thanks! Bezoar sounds good, especially since it would just be the Chai tea scent...in case I'm not feeling Vanilla that day. I can't wait to sniff these!

Well, word is that Beth herself has said that sweet Chai was what she was going for with Bengal...

...so what are you waiting for?? :P order it now!!

Yes, that is the one I was going to mention! Bengal was a freebie with my first order of imps. I put it on and it smelled exactly like Chai (my favorite hot drink). I would definitely go with that one.

Bengal, on me at least, smells like an over-sexed cinnamon roll. That's a very good thing, but not really chai-like.

Plunder (again, on me) gets this wonky tobacco note that neatly removes any chai associations.

Pumpkin V, of all things, smells like pumpkin chai on me. Your mileage may vary, as always, but I'm very, very fond of Pumpkin V.

I definitely get chai from Bengal, the spice and pepper and even a bit of tea scent. Plunder was too cinnamon/cassia for my liking, and reddened my skin, but Bengal does the same if I put it on right out of the shower.

edited to add, Sugar Skull has a spicy sweetness that, while it doesn't smell like chai, it certainly satisfies my desire for spicy smells.

Edited by TereFaerie

Layer Saw Scaled Viper with a Milk note... perhaps the milky Yule lad?

Seconding Pumpkin I 2014! I couldn't even smell the pumpkin it was just straight up chai

Plunder layered with Giljagaur (the sheep's milk Yule lad) is very chai-like to me. I get mostly cinnamon-spice and tea from Plunder, very little tobacco (or possibly I just like the lab's tobacco notes enough that there's no such thing as too much of one in a scent). Giljagaur is cream/milk and coconut with a hint of cinnamon rather than pure milk/cream, but if you drink your tea with coconut milk instead of the lactose-having kind, this combo is a dead ringer.

Okay I did a quick search and I'm desperate for an oil that smells like delicious chai tea - a little creamy and with all those amazing spices. Slightly sweet, spicy and foodie to some extent is what I'm looking for. I'd accept non-foodie too, tbh. Just gimme warm spicy goodness!!

I struck out on My Little Grotesque. Whatever the cake note is lately, it's going plastic on me.

Suggestions?

Maybe Mango Infused Pumpkin Chai Latte? I never tried it because I am not a mango fan. :)

For other warm, spicy goodness... I suggest:

Pumpkin Latte

Pumpkin V 2009

These don't have the tea/chai vibe to me, but they are a wonderful comforting spicy type scents to me!

Edited by Numanoid