Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thelaurenator

Campfires, bonfires, fireplaces, burning wood and leaves...

Mmm, I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me, too. Based on my reading of the Halloweenie reviews, it seems to be, in order of least smoky to smokiest: Samhainophobia -- October -- The Death of Autumn? I'm holding out for an answer before I place my order, since I'm now a poor grad student (versus being a poor undergrad when I first found BPAL 3 years ago!)

:P

Mmm, I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me, too. Based on my reading of the Halloweenie reviews, it seems to be, in order of least smoky to smokiest: Samhainophobia -- October -- The Death of Autumn? I'm holding out for an answer before I place my order, since I'm now a poor grad student (versus being a poor undergrad when I first found BPAL 3 years ago!)

:P

What about Bonfire Night?

I didn't see it mentioned, so I have to add this one: Tombstone. I really don't love the weird vanilla-esque scent in this one, but there's something in the background that reminds me very specifically of driftwood fires on the beach. Or rather, of the remains of those fires, that dry, charred, yet somehow salty, beachy scent. I love that part, and I wish I could get rid of whatever is making it smell like fake vanilla so I could wear it!

Also, in terms of more traditionally smoky scents, Samhain is Queen. It smells like thick, grey smoke to me, very fitting.

October from this years Weenie scents has a burning leaves smell. Hellfire is probably my favorite smokey scent though.

I'd love to try Stranger in Camp, but I don't want to spend a small fortune.

I guess I will have to experiment with some layering to get the fire smell--I am thinking of trying Wild Men of Jezzirat Al Tennyn with October or Death of Autumn for Starters.

Any other ideas?

Maybe I will have to break down and get the I Hate Perfumes burning leaves...

Bonfire Night was everything I wanted October and The Death of Autumn to be: slightly smoky and acrid without the horrible burning.

Priala goes through all the cycles of fire: spark, flareup, embers, ash. It's really something.

Fallen, however, was the strangest morph I've ever had. I don't think it's supposed to smell like fire, but it really did.

The smoke note in Sacred Whore of Babylon gave me a screaming headache so now I'm worried about trying any other scents with that same note. Has anyone had an experience where a note bothered them in one perfume but not another?

BONFIRE NIGHT_it is the awesome-it is love-it rocks-it brings me back to camping bonfires,and all that!can u tell i lurve it?get plenty

I've just got to say that I'm loving this thread...I love smokey, autumn leaves type scents myself, and I am so loving the suggestions...THANKS!

Anyone and everyone still on the lookout for something smoky/campfire/bonfire/fireplace should DEFINITELY check out Rumpelstilzchen.

Oooh, campfirey burny smells! So nommy! Bonfire night's my favorite right now, will have to try out some of these other ones, mmmm, addiction is good.

Seeing this thread reminded me of a scent quest from many years ago. I was in the Barcelona airport (I think...like I said, this was several years back) and I stumbled across a perfume that smelled like fire. It wasn't spice, or smoke, or something burning. It just smelled like flames. It was the weirdest thing ever. Even though it's not really my type of scent, it was just so amazing that I've always regretted not getting it. Needless to say, I've never found anything like it. Can anyone think of a BPAL equivalent?

I got some Mad Meg and the first time I wore it was to a party with a firepit. I had someone ask me how the fire was. Since I hadn't even been near it I said I didn't know. She said "You smell like you were standing in woodsmoke so I assumed..."

Hope it helps.

Another shout out for Samhainophobia here! It has a very dark, thick, resiny scent while in the bottle...but for me, once it dries down on the skin its got a very dusky, smoky, smoldering ashes of autumn leaves quality to it. Complex and beautiful, but more than a little sinister. ;] The smell of ghost stories told around a dying campfire.

I think that Interfector would fall into this category for me. It always makes me think of wood roasting away in a fireplace - very warm, slightly smoky/ashy, sweet and spicy goodness. It's one of the few smoky scents that I can actually wear <3.

MMMM, smokey, burning leaf sort of scents are among my favorite category of BPAL blends! Autumn, Falling Leaf Moon, October (both the orig. and '10 version), and To Autumn all my absolute favorites in this category!

I thought that the drydown on Old Demons of the First Class smelled a lot like bonfire ash... I used to make campfires pretty much every summer and the perfume gives me smell-induced memories. I may be the odd one out on this one though, since none of the other reviewers mention fire or ash.

Death of Autumn has always been my most fall-like scent, but it's gotten even smokier as it has aged.

bumping this for my current need for woodsmoke.

I just want that woodsmoke smell! Death of Autumn is the closest for me right now, and I find October to be closer to a men's cologne then smoke. Anymore ideas?

Elli's Song is very much a bonfire scent to me. the description is: "the horrors of entropy, death, and decay: desiccated black mosses, vetiver, olibanum, patchouli, and ashes" but I find it very warm an comforting (and smokey).

Mad Meg (Salon, I think one of the Retail Onlys, not sure, though) is kinda similar to both Death of Autumn and Chant d'Automne.

ETA: looked it up, Mad Meg is in the GC Salon exhibit III.

Edited by blu°