Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vicious Mistress

The search for "Clean" scents - general discussion

I really like Dirty (A fresh, crisp white linen scent: perfectly clean, perfectly breezy.) It is the definition of a clean and fresh scent & something I would have never picked out for myself but ended up loving. I also like the Doormouse (A dizzying eddy of four teas brushed with light herbs and a breath of peony.) for something light & fresh. :P

When I want a light scent 51 does it for me, as does Shattered. Dirty is totally the 'clean cotton' smell to me though, so that might be what you have in mind.

There are a couple of useful links in the pinned recommendations. =)

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?act=ST&f=10&t=1607 <-- "clean" scent thread

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=3755 <-- "gentle/light" scent thread

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=480 <--- "spring-type" scent thread

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=21004 <--- "aquatic" scent thread

I think those four categories will help! At least, I hope so. :P

ok, i've read the thread and looked at reviews of some of the recommended scents...

i'm looking for clean but not in the 'crisp' or 'bright' way - not dominated by a linen or citrus scent, although i like both of those. even lavender is a little bit too light for what i want.

basically i want a warm soapy fresh smell. about, oh, ten years ago, a camp friend of mine had a bottle of kind of essential oil stuff that smelled really fresh and like awesome soap. but since it was so long ago i'm having a hard time remembering what elements there were in the scent.

any suggestions? i am a total novice at this kind of stuff...

You might want to try Sudha Segara. It smells like ginger soap. The ginger is warm but not overpowering.

Annietoes, your description--"warm soapy fresh"--made me think of Egyptian musk. It's warm and sort of sexy, but in a very fresh, almost soapy way. It's like warm, clean skin.

Casanova is a great basil scent (in fact, it's the only predominantly basil BPAL I know of). The basil note becomes stronger as the oil ages.

Zephyr is my favorite "clean" scent. The lemon and white sandalwood and white musk smell fresh and clean, but the vanilla rounds the scent out and prevents it from smelling too dry and bracing. It's like a crisp linen blouse.

It occurred to me that you might find some good suggestions in this thread - the OP is looking for scents that smell like a baby without the baby powder element, which to me evokes the idea of clean, soapy, warm scents.

I second the Zephyr suggestion. It's clean without being too crisp and bright. And Sudha Segara is a great one, too - very warm yet also clean and bright.

Morocco is gorgeous and to me, it has a wee bit of a soapy quality - the spices could take it out of the "clean" category for you, but if you haven't tried it, it's a BPAL must and you might love it even if it doesn't fulfill this particular quest. The Unicorn is very clean and simple, although the notes listed are predominantly floral I don't find it to be something that screams "floral" at all. Another blend that I find very hard to categorize, but that I think might fit your request, is Oberon - it smelled nothing like I expected from the listed notes (orchid, white musk, bergamot, juniper berries, and patchouli) and it's very soft and clean.

yayyyy thanks for all these great suggestions! keep 'em comin if you got 'em and i'll try to assemble an imp set....this is very exciting. i miss smelling good!

I was trying to think of the notes that most often get accused of being "soapy" (like that's always a bad thing). Lilies came to mind immediately, and of course, lavender is a common culprit. Frankincense is very soapy on me but not on everybody. As you try more blends you may find that one of those notes has a soapier, fresher feel on you than you expected it to.

Annietoes, your description--"warm soapy fresh"--made me think of Egyptian musk. It's warm and sort of sexy, but in a very fresh, almost soapy way. It's like warm, clean skin.

This sounds like a case for Mr. Ibis if you want to try out the Egyptian Musk suggestion. :P

The notes are papyrus, vanilla flower, Egyptian musk, African musk, aloe ferox and white sandalwood. It does not say Soap! but I really have to agree to this being warm and clean at the same time.

Sounds like I'm going to have to get my hands on some Mr. Ibis. I was planning on it eventually, anyway. He's such a great character in AG.

Also, I just tried Aeval yesterday for the first time in a couple of years and thought of this thread. It's clean, sweet, lightly floral, soapy-in-a-good-way, and I think the "bold, pale musk" in it *might* be Egyptian musk. It's definitely a light, clean musk.

Hello, I wanted to know if I could get any reccomendations for scents with a very crisp, clean, natural scent.

Almost like Irish Spring soap. Notes that reflect mint, water, and freshly cleaned cotton.

I really loved "The Unicorn" scent, and I thought it came close to that clean & natural smell, but it isn't around anymore, so I was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions on ones that might be worth trying out.

Thanks! :)

If you're looking for Irish Spring, find thee a bottle of Eanach Dhuin! It was a dead ringer for Irish Spring on me.

Eanach Dhuin: Unutterable grief expressed through the scent of balsam, frankincense, blackberry leaf, oud, white rose, driftwood, zdravetz, and bitter clove, beneath the cold waters of the River Corrib.

You may want to give White Phoenix a try. Def a clean fresh scent.

Also, my all time favorite Temple Of Dreams is gorgeous.. very soft and clean.