Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vicious Mistress

The search for "Clean" scents - general discussion

Must agree, Pain is wonderful. Snake Oil is still my number 1, but I wouldn't want to be without Pain and second your endorsement about its efficacy with regard to headaches.

You may enjoy The Star (coconut with crisp lime), which I often layer with Pain.

Kumiho is a wonderful clean, crisp blend of white tea and ginger.

I agree with hypothermya; Embalming Fluid is clean, lovely and very refreshing.

Hymn (perfect rose absolute and Palestinian Lily of the Valley with olibanum, labdanum, frankincense and myrrh) is very cool and relaxing on me, definitely one of my favourites.

In similar vein; Seraphim (calla lily, wisteria, white sandalwood, Damascus rose and frankincense).

Have fun :P

My favourite clean scents are Phantasm (soft misty lemon) and Oberon (which is more of a woodsy, rain-washed clean).

Mad Hatter is another fantastic mint scent, if you liked Pain. There are several clean fresh "storm at sea" scents - Tempest, Lightning, Jolly Roger and, to a certain extent, the new Szepasszony all fall into that category for me.

I've found most of the Tarot oils I've tried to be very light. Specifically, The World, the High Priestess, The Fool and The Lovers. Those are the ones that I've worn, but generally, the all smell substantially lighter to me than other oils by Beth. Also, I found Tushatanmay (spelling) Wanda and Kali to be light scents out of the new ones.

As far as clean scents, I agree with Tears, Hurricaine and I would say Baobhan Sith and Kumiho are both lovely scents that lean towards clean. I also think Szeponsnay (spelling??) would be clean. Danube also.

As far as diluting, I think that is most definitey an option. I tend to like them full strength, but I know many people dilute.

The Apothecary smells very "clean" to me. You know how your hands smell after using a really nice bar of soap to wash them? It reminds me of that.

Cheers,

Jonobie

and Desdemona is a very clean, light floral.

Oh VERY!!! I forgot about Desdemona.

She went missing somewhere in the imp box.

Right now I am VERY into Danube as a clean scent. I tried it at Eb's last night. To DIE FOR.

-Leslie

Water of Notre Dame and Van Van are, to me, both very clean, clear smelling scents.

How could I forget Water of Notre Dame???? Definitely agree!!!

I agree about Lightning and Embalming Fluid. Both excellent "clean" smelling choices. Juliet also smelled "clean" on me, but in a laundry detergent kind of way.

I 2nd (or 3rd or whatever number we're on) VanVan. It works as both a skin and room scent for me.

I also really like Bewitched ~ it's not that fake, cloying, artificial Blackberry that you'll find in just about everything these days. The green tea & sage really keep it nice and clean without washing the scent out.

Each one of my three sisters is getting 7 BPAL imps for Christmas from me, with the option of getting a 5 ml bottle of their favourite scent. Each one will receive Kumiho and Snake Oil plus 5 different scents. There will be no duplication between these 15 scents (5 scents x 3 sisters) so that they can swap amongst themselves. I'm having trouble finding a 7th scent for two of my sisters.

Some background on sporty sister: she's finishing up her Ph.D. in cancer molecular biology. She's quite social and makes friends easily. She's never been much of a girly-girl - I've always had to do her makeup for her for any special occasions. She's probably the most athletic member of our family - she runs marathons and participates in triathlons, and finished the Ironman Canada triathlon just this past September (I am enormously proud of her for that!)

Some background on girly sister: she works at an accounting firm that gives out iPods as thank you presents. She's also very social and makes friends easily. She is very much a girly-girl and I've given her lots of cosmetics and hair care stuff that have always been well-received. I would say that she's probably the most conservative of all my sisters, and the least likely in my family to seek out things that are off the beaten path.

So other than Kumiho and Snake Oil, sporty sister will be getting O, Scherezade, Baobhan Sith (may substitute Danube once I know what it smells like) and Machu Picchu. I would like to get her a clean-smelling BPAL that doesn't have a lot of ozone or citrus to complement this set. Girly sister will be getting Haunted, Old Morocco, Jezebel/Queen Mab/Rapture/Viola (haven't decided yet) and Xiuhtecuhtli. I've been trying to find a fruity BPAL that isn't just fruit to complement this set. Here's what I've tried and why it didn't work:

Clean

Apocathery - I actually like this, but I think that it might be a little too heavy on the herbals for my sister's tastes

Dragon's Tears - likely too spicy for my sister's tastes

Embalming Fluid - smelled medicinal

Empyreal Mist - faded out within an hour

Shanghai - too lemony

Tempest - too lemony

Unseelie - powered out

Fruity

Swank - far too sweet

Venice - too much sandalwood

Recommendations for clean-smelling and fruity (that aren't just pure fruit) BPALs would be greatly appreciated! (And thanks for reading through this really long post!)

[The other sister is receiving Black Phoenix, Intrigue, La Petite Mort, Perversion, and Spellbound.]

What about Delirium for the girly sister? It smells clean and fresh, rose and citrus mixed together. I'm quite fond of it. I would have recommended it for your sporty sister, because I think it smells quite fresh, but the no citrus thing rules it out, obviously. :P

I would recommend Juliet for your sporty sister and Bewitched for your girly sister.