Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Goreygalx

Lady MacBeth

The essence of ambition, covetousness and manipulation: sweet Bordeaux wine, blood red currant, thyme and wild berries.

third one i've tried, 2nd one i've reviewed.

bottle: very fruity and sweet but not enough to be overwhelming, reminds me of gummy fruit candy

wet: still very fruity but the sweetness has mellowed out

drydown: more subtle, smelling more like a sweet wine now than candy. I can see this being an adult scent.

overall: not bad, a little fruity for my tastes, but a good scent to use if you or your S.O. likes fruit scents or sweet wine

In the imp: thick amber oil. Sugar and berries.

On the wrist: herbs come through the berries. Darker, richer than in the imp. I think I can pick up the redcurrant, but the effect is very different than in Jester. There’s a slightly sour note which may be the wine.

Half an hour: It may be supposed to be wine, but I get slightly sour winegums. Still the sweetness echoing behind it, but it’s being outmatched.

An hour: Yup. Winegums.

I loved, loved, loved Lady MacBeth the first time I tried it on. And the second. And now... I think I may have overexposed myself, because the berries now smell fermented to me and the entire blend sits heavy and sour on my wrist. It was a really pretty autumn scent, surprisingly feminine while carrying an aura of power, but now it smells sullen and evil. Too much wine, not enough thyme. So... I'd recommend it, but don't overdo application (it's strong!).

I want my first Lady MacBeth back!

first sniff: currant-y red wine

wet: Still the same, then the thyme adds its herbal greeness. The berries are becoming stronger, too.

dry: herbal berry goodness. :P

If you've tried Rosalind, it's very closely related, only with thyme instead of grass, and it's a warm autumn day, instead of a misty one. :D

In the vial - thick and sweet; almost deceptively welcoming. There's an incongruous bubblegum note here as well. Fortunately I like bubblegum.

Wet on the skin - Delicious, but still bubblegum! In less than a minute, though, a tangy herbal note emerges.

Next stages - Lady Macbeth is another morpher, much ike the character in the Scottish Play. On the surface she's a charming and welcoming hostess, but once the guests have left the table she stalks into the shadows and begins to brood and plot silently. The herbal note perfectly evokes the rushes and herbs that would have been spread on the floor of a medieval feasting hall while the rich, sticky red fruit notes put me in mind of a heavy and ornate court gown in shades of blood-red.

Dry down - The final stage of this blend on my skin is unfortunately a little sour, but since I tend to reapply quite often that's no great problem. Perhaps aging will mellow the wine note a little.

Similar scents - Blood Countess, Eris, Oya

Received this imp through a swap (thank you Crazydiamond!)

Oh, this one is interesting. Straight off while wet on the skin I get a strong bubblegum note despite the fact that there's no lotus in this.

It is a rather powerful, pretty heady and very sweet scent. as it dries down I get a scent that reminds me very much of Lush Cosmetics' American Cream conditioner. So to all Shimmy Shimmy and AC fans, you may have found your holy grail. This imp is a keeper, although I'm not sure I'll wear it regularly. It's a little too girly-sweet for me, however pleasant.

As for the throw, I'd say it's medium. it's still strong on the skin, and can be smelled from about 4 inches from the wrist. However it's possible that my nose has grown accustomed to it by now and it's stronger than I think. Strong scent, and all in all another good creation by Beth. Well done! :P

I got Lady Macbeth as a frimp, and let me tell you, it isn't Lady Macbeth-like at all. It reminds me of candy. I can't think of any other adjective to describe it besides sweet. It escapes me how wine and thyme can produce something sweet (unless they're very, very minor notes), but it seems to have. The most prominent note must be the berries, I think. I don't know what currant smells like. And actually now that I've accidentally gotten it on my fingers, it smells like grape Tylenol. Don't ask me how that happened.

i didnt like this one in the imp, it had a weird strong spicy/sweet mix;

tried it anyway, and was plesantly surprised

as unlike some sweet scents, this one didnt turn into mush on me.

it started simmilar to the imp,

but after it calmed down more of the sweetness came through;

very wearable but faded a little too quick for my liking.

Lady Macbeth (pale yellow oil)

Imp: A lighter, fruitier version of wet Bordello. Like apricots or some sort of yellow fruit was added.

Skin: Sweet, sweet berries. The thyme is very faint, and the wine is a watered-down sort. The berries are almost swimming in syrup, thats how sweet it is. However it wasn't that difficult to wear, because it stays quite close to skin. I like my berries to be darker, and my wines to be deeper, so this was not the berry scent for me. The drydown is like Wanda without the leather.

Edited by Styx

In the bottle and wet on my skin, this is such a strong wine fragrance that it made me worry about wearing it out in public for fear people would think I'm drunk! :P But once it dries, it's all wet, juicy, sweet red berries. To me, it smells like berry bubblegum with a dash of something herbal--must be the thyme. The notes settle down into a lovely blend.

Very nice, but faded waaaaay too fast. I'm sad now. :D

This was a frimp from the wonderful GoldenRubee! Thanks again!

Sugary-sweet wine and berries. Smells kind of like japanese grape and cherry candy during the wet stage O_O it stays really candy-sweet throught, but it does seem to deepen to a stronger berry scent. I don't smell any thyme, or if it's there it's very much in the background.

In the imp: Sweeeeet reddish-purple-fruity-berry-ness. A hint of what I think is thyme.

On wet: Kool-Aid! :P

Drydown: 10 minutes in, and it's faded quite a bit. It's lost a lot of that berrylicious/fruity edge in favour of just pure sugary sweetness - it's actually making my teeth hurt every time I inhale! There's also a soapy, shampoo-esque thing going on now, too. I'm reminded of the "perfume" I used to get as a kid - the kind that wasn't much more than scented pink liquid in a pretty pink-capped bottle. I can't recall exactly, but I think the brand was called Tinkerbell (no relation to Disney). Not getting anything even remotely boozy or herby.

Overall: WAY too sweet for this grrl - though I'd definitely recommend it for the junior BPALers out there. A kid-friendly scent to be sure - and SO much nicer than that chemical playtime crap I'm sure is still being sold today. As I am no longer a kidlet, however, this ranks a 2/5 on my skin.

Lady Macbeth

Whoa, berry wine, with a very bitter aftertaste! Wet on skin, it smells as if I spilled booze on myself. Sweet berry wine that's almost candy-like in nature. As it dries, it feels like a berry version of The Hamptons. The sweetness has a tart quality that nearly makes you salivate.

[4 - Really Like] This is sassy and assertive. Fun without being childlike.

imp: whoa! very heady currant wine!

wet: juicy, wet, red booze. there is no other way to describe it.

dry: almost like a sweet, light floral wine. very nice. i'm considering a bottle.

The wine and berries are toned into a lovely, not-at-all-cloyingly sweet scent by the currant and thyme. I have to say that of all the non-foody (IMHO) scents that I have tried yet of BPAL, this one is my DEFINITE favorite!! I surprised myself by putting this into my Top Ten!!!!!

Warning: Random Thought Process Ahead! :P

In the imp - smells a bit like juicy fruit gum. VERY SWEET and fruity. But not bright, more juicy fruit that's been chewed on a few times and left in the sun. strong but old.

On - kind of dusty fruits. definately red fruits, also makes me think of blood - a slightly musty, rusty warm/coldness, not the hot, fresh vibrant artery kind of blood. Guilt. Pretty regal as well. Not hoards of throw.

Drydown - erm...getting the lightest ever smell of "fried cooking"...erm. Other than that, there's a coldness under the warmth and robustness of the fruits, which Im assuming is the Thyme? Getting odd memories of my lower school hall (where we would eat lunch)...VERY ODD! lol. It's kind of softer and less brash than Bordello, but there are definately parallels. Bordello is more a Friday night scent, whereas LM is more a weekend scent, posibly a saturday night one at a push.

Truely a fruity, lovely scent. Very womanly, but I'm not sure I'll use it a LOT, as there are others that make me feel womanly without the red velvet-y kind of effect! Not sure if it's the fact that I had a redcurrent candle at one point, but this smells kind of like...well, soap but without being soapy?

In the imp- grapey-sweet.

On skin- Two words: SWEET TARTS. Whoa. Since tomorrow is Halloween, it brings back memories of bags full of suagry treats, sweet tarts and Chupa Chups and Smarties (the American kind) all mixed together.

Like wearing a bag of candy. I like this, but it's very strong. I over-slathered, so ended up totally overwhelmed and dizzy- almost like a sugar rush!- and had to wipe down my wrists with alcohol to damp it down a tad. Next time I'll only put on a couple of dots and it'll be lovely like that.

Verdict: Definitely keeping the imp, but I have a feeling it'll last me a looong time. Might try layering it with other scents.

I'm not usually big on ultra sweet scents, but for some reason I'm kind of digging this one. In the imp, it was like whoaaaa berries - super sweet and punching me in the face with berriness.

On my wrist, it calmed down a little bit, but I'm still not smelling much other than berries. It sort of reminds me of the store my mom used to sell her crafts in (she made primitive art snowmen and things like that - Christmas decorations and things - really cool and not cheesy). The place always smelled like cranberry candles and other berry-smelling things, all mixed together. Maybe that's why, despite not usually liking scents like this, I'm okay with Lady Macbeth. It takes me to a happy place. :P

Frimp from the lab.

One word: Bubblegum.

Pink, pink, PINK, PINK bubblegum.

Sweet, very sweet, frankly, too sweet for me. Which is weird, cause I'm a sugar skull fan. But not LM. I envy everyone else who get womanly, winey notes from this. I'm just getting nauseous.

No, she's not for me. Thanks.

HL

Edited by Helpless Lush

Imp: Currant and wine…

On: Delicious berries join the currant, and the wine becomes a supporting note. The blend of the three together is wonderfully full, though, and not altogether dissimilar to berry pie with ice cream.

Preconceptions: wine? berries? This probably won't work on me, which will be sad.

imp: sweet and tart

wet: I can smell I bit of the thyme

dry: the wine has not killed this! but it's still kind of sour sweet on me.

Lady MacBeth is amazing! It is the first blend where I said, "This smells PURPLE!" immediately after my first whiff of it. The wine is sweet but dry so it is not cloying. The thyme grounds this out to keep the wine, currant, and berries from taking off. It gives it a nice balance. The berries do come out to play last of all, after it has settled into my skin for a while.

I can't quite describe how or why I like this so much, but it is tantalizing!! I love how bold it is.

I hadn't worn this in a while, despite really liking it, but put it on today and I'm reminded of how much I do really like this. It's a lot like Fortunato on me, but slightly less sherryish. Wine scents haven't been my favorites, but berry/currants usually are. It also reminds me a bit of Bordello, like some have mentioned, but Bordello on me comes off very cloying and can nauseate me at certain times, while LM does neither.

I wouldn't necessarily wear this to a job interview (!), but it's a great one for going out, I think.

In the bottle it smells very red winey with a bit of a berry smell. Very sexy and smokey. I loved how it smelled when I put it on. The berry came to the forefront but the wine was still nicely in there. But when my husband smelled me he said that I smelled like the candy Dots. He didnt like it all that much. Maybe it does smell a bit candyish. But I still like it. I think that its a dark sexy smell and definetly a keeper.

This awesome scent totally turns to fruity candy on me. :P In a good way. My dad commented saying it smelled like Garnier Fructis. It sorta does in a way...