Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Goreygalx

Lady MacBeth

The essence of ambition, covetousness and manipulation: sweet Bordeaux wine, blood red currant, thyme and wild berries.

In the imp, this smells like sweet, juicy, ripe berries.

Once applied, wet, the sweet berry scent remains. This is a strong oil and a little is going a long way. This is a wonderful berry scent.

Applied, dry, I’m starting to get other notes now. But the berry remains dominant.

In the imp: Robitussin. Bugger. This smells just as Maenad did to my nose. I think it must be the currant...

On the skin: Bleh, this hates me.

Final Analysis: Unfortunately it seems that the Lady and I will be parting company. I think anyone fond of Maenad may want to give this a try. Off to the swaps.

Wet: Berries and wine.

Smells a bit like red kool-aid actually.

Dry: For some reason I thought this was going to be a lot darker than it turned out. Mostly a light fruity berry scent. Still a bit too much like kool-aid, but it's actually an enjoyable scent. On my like but not love list.

Another one that I've had a hard time getting a handle on. On the first test, it was darkly fruity: berry, I suppose, and not the plum of Blood Countess. There is perhaps a hint of smoke. It's rather pretty, and lasts forever, but I love Blood Countess and I don;'t think Lady Mac is a replacement.

On the second test, Lady Mac was all thick candy sweetness. I retried it looking for the wine notes, as I really want a rich red wine scent, but this isn't it. It isn't BAD, but not what I was hoping for.

In the bottle this is very boozy, to the point that I’d be afraid to wear if when driving! Wouldn’t want to get pulled over smelling so strongly of wine. Once it’s on, though, the boozy note does get downplaid, although there is still the essense of wine. While it’s still wet, this is a very fruity blend, with the “wild berries” showing strongly. After it dries all of the notes really blend quite nicely, with the thyme balancing the sweetness of the berries. Dry, this resembles a”redder” Titania on me, which is just fine!

One of the first BPAL scents I ever tried was Lady Macbeth, and it must have been aged or an older formulation because when I got my first bottle of Lady Macbeth almost a year ago they did not smell remotely the same.

The imp, if I remember correctly, was a bright berry scent laced with a deep red wine. I can't recall my initial impressions of my bottle, only that it was quite different.

Today, trying on from the bottle again, I get all berry sweetness and no wine - and it's fading fast. I am sad, because 2/2 Macbeth themed scents have not worked out well for this Macbeth freak, but my loss will be someone else's gain, I'm sure.

Oh my...this is LOVELY. It's been on my wishlist and some kind person frimped it to me. I smell plum wine. Sweet, luscious and delicious. This one might be bottle-worthy :P

imp: great fruit with an edge. Smells like lingonberries...is that the same as currant? (*looks*) No, not related, but this has a currant/lingonberry jam smell to me. yummmmmmm...

wet: lovely fruit with two undertones: 1= candy and the second= herbs. I still like it.

dry: This does eventually get more of a candy undertone---like smartees or skittles in "currant" flavor...but I still like it. My skin does eat it after a bit, so this will be a slatherer when I use it. It is nice though and will be great for when I want to smell like fruit...which happens!

:P

On me this is a dead ringer for the single-note raspberry scent that Sephora stores sold as part of their house brand stuff when they first opened. The bastards at Sephora discontinued all of those scents so I'm happy to have at least one of them back! Pure raspberry candy.

Lady Macbeth-

In Bottle: Grape! Grape and sweet as Manischewitz wine, woo.

Wet: Still grape, and maybe a little plummy. Powdery lightness, too.

Dry: I can't escape it--this is grape bubblegum, and I don't mind that a bit. It's a playful scent, and I'll remember this one when I want to feel like a schoolgirl.

Overall: A sweet fun scent.

bottle: grape jelly

wet: berryish and deepened by wine.

Dry: turned into the weird cherry nausea medicine I take

I was sad because I love berry and wine smells and purple, but it just didn't like me.

A very tart, red wine. The berry currant notes lend a faint hint of sweetness, but it's overladen by this haughty demeanor. This blend reminds me of a mix between Rosalind and Wanda. Very nice.

someone sent me this as a frimp, and it was on my wishlist, still i was a bit wary of so much.....berry. but i thought i might get more wine like in bordello. this reminds me of bordello without the wonderful vanilla and wine. i just get berry berry berry. it's very sweet and fruity and i can't smell the wine or thyme at all. not a bad scent at all, just too sweet for me personally.

In the imp it smells like a dark, sweet juice. No wine here, just Cold Duck.

On it first smells like a dark, sharp berry then it transforms to a bright fruity smell. Oh wow, was I walking around smelling like Jell-o!

I don't know if I'll wear it again, but it sure was an interesting try.

The scent is initially highly alcoholic -- not wine, as such, just alcohol. As it settles, the alcohol fades, and I detect a mingling of fruits -- blackberry, raspberry, and plum, I think -- accompanied by something floral... a trace of rose? Looking back at the description, I find that there are no flowers in this, and I don’t think it’s the thyme that I’m picking up on. It must be a skin modulation. How odd.

I continue to smell the fruit with the alcohol as it dries. The alcoholic tinge doesn’t seem like wine to me, but I can’t figure out what it actually smells like. If I were better up on alcoholic drinks, I might be able to hazard a guess.

This is a pleasant wild berry smell, and the alcohol isn’t announcing itself overmuch on my skin now, so it’s a good way to go if I want to smell like mixed berries. It’s a bit fainter than I could wish, which is a disappointment, but I can slather in the future if need be.

I received a frimp from a lovely Forumite :P

In the vial: boozy berries.

Wet: still boozy berries.

Dry: this blend reminds me very much of Chambord, which is my favorite liqueur.

I will enjoy my imp and I may need to order a big bottle.

I definitely wouldn't have chosen Lady MacBeth on my own. I am not crazy about wine or berry notes...but it was sent to me as an extra, and like many others I have a try-everything policy...so here goes.

It's actually better than I would have thought. The very first wet stage was such a mystery, because I didn't read what was in it first. I thought...floral? roses? mint? coconut?....then I read the notes and it started to make sense. Not sure where I got the hint of rose, but the 'mint' was obviously the thyme peeking through. It didn't scream WINE at me, which is good because it definitely would have turned me off right away. And I guess the red currant and/or wild berries fooled me into thinking I was smelling coconut for a brief moment. As it dries, it's pretty much sweet, herbal berry with a little sweet wine. Not bad, really, just not my thing.

In the bottle: Mmm, wine and grapes and wild berries.

Wet: A crystal goblet filled with juicy boysenberries soaking in zinfandel. There is a dark green tint to the glass, making it rich and wild.

Dry: This is what I wanted Bewitched to be like on me… everything wonderful about Bewitched but without that dreadful black musk which is so like powdered death on me.

Bottle: rich, dark, fruity wine with berries.

Skin I: dark reddish purplish, sweet currant soda with a tinge of red wine.

Skin II: faint, sweet, dark red berries with fading soda and wine; the slightest tinge of greenness appears for a second but is gone by the next sniff.

This scent is very true to its description! If you're looking for a darker berry scent this one is perfect! It didn't amaze or excite me a lot, but I like it. It's a pleasant, rich, dark, and but still distinctly sweet and fruity scent without being too young, light, or innocent.

Edited by fairytale22

original Lady Macbeth

On me: Fruity bliss! Mostly this is currants and wine, but I think I get some raspberry underneath. Not getting thyme, really, but this is rich and absolutely gorgeous!

Score: 5

new Lady Macbeth

On me: This isn't as rich as the original formulation, and it's fading into my skin rapidly. However, it starts brightly before fading into a soft wine. Bit more thyme here. I still love it!

Score: 5

The berries, wine, and currant make this a very heavy blend. It's wonderful. While I wouldn't say that it smells like Venom, it is similarly mature, sophisticated, and sensual. Lady Macbeth fades quickly on my skin.

In the imp: Berry wine. It almost smells like the pomegranite (sp?) martinis we had last night at the Christmas party.

Wet: Sharp berries for an instant before it fades into that 'generic berry' scent that my skin makes of anything even remotely berry-like.

Dry: That generic berry scent, like Montressor and Urd, only not as heavy as the first and darker than the second. I think I smell a bit of an herbal note to this, which must be the thyme.

Berries just aren't for me. They all smell the exact same. *le sigh* In to the pass on pile.

straight sniff from imp is sweet berry wine...absolutely mouth-watering!!

once applied this is perfectly juicy and ripe with just a touch of thyme to

round it out ... this is terrific and a super fun blend!!

great for a child's june birthday party...love it!!

In the vial:

very dry wine

On me:

It starts off as very dry wine, but immediately goes into very bright currant. Then a subtle thyme kicks in with a slight greeness but after that it all becomes rather faint on me. In the long run, this scent was mostly currant on my skin and not a lot else.

Final note:

I wish I had more to say on this one but it was mostly currant and it just didn't last on me - it started off strong enough but very quickly became so faint I had to put my nose to my skin to smell it and then all but disappeared.