Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

...a singularly chilly, delectably ice-rimmed perfume. Revel in the gelid polar frostiness that is Numb, and forget about the heat for a moment.

I agree that it's slightly soapy, but it morphed into a cool violet scent on me after awhile. While I think violets are lovely, they don't really do much for me, sadly. An interesting scent, though.

In Vial: Strong and perfumey

Wet: Smells like old linens. Not what I was expecting.

Dry: Smells the same. This is really horrible.

In the Bottle

This smell reminds me of something that I can’t put my finger on. Wait – I think it smells like a face cream my aunt used to use. Oil of Olay, maybe? I can also smell violets in this blend.

On My Skin

Hmmm....I’m getting a distinct laundry detergent vibe from this one. So this was suposed to be a chilly blend but I’m getting more of a spring time vibe with the violet/floral scent. How strange.

After a Bit

An hour and a half later and the smell has faded pretty quickly. This hasn’t changed much from when I initially put it on, it’s still violet scented face cream.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent – 2 Throw – 2 Longevity – 2

Over all – 2

Final Thoughts

It smells like an older lady walking down the laundry detergent isle at a grocery store. Not for me at all. Off to the swaps pile this goes. Hopefully I can find it a loving home.

Bottle: Violets and the ice/sludge note.

Wet: Still extremely violety but starting to warm up.

Dry: This smells like parma violets! Sweet and delicate and even with a bit of that powdery edge you get from the parma violets. It's not exactly a cold smell but it's very powdery and skin soft and sweet. It almost smells more like a dusting powder than a perfume. Maybe a bit of a lotion as well. It's very nonoffensive.

Throw: Average.

Overall: Me likey. It's a very beautiful and classical scent. Not something I'm necessarily going to wear when I have a first date but definitely something I'll be trying out at work or family events.

Really awesome person gave me a half bottle, squee!!

In the bottle, kinda cold..... maybe a little soap, ugh.....this is feeling the way of F5 right now. But, maybe it will be awesome cooling soap!

Yup. Soap. Just soap. *sigh*

So I was fortunate enough to be able to test this out. In the imp it's really, really.... accurately named. It's cold, sharp. Has that same tinge to the nose as mints do. But this is floral somehow, sweeter, and yep a little soapy. On skin it remains chill, but is reminding me of ice cream XD. It does turn into a dustier floral scent. "old linens" i think someone said, and that's suiting. It smells kind of like pulling old sheets out of that dresser that hasn't been touched for years. A little stale? Weird. But chill, nonetheless.

I have to agree with everyone who gets a "laundry" vibe off of this oil. After I applied it, I wracked my brain trying to think of what it reminded me of, and finally I realized that it reminds me of linens washed in a light floral detergent and then dried with those little sheets of fabric softener. XD That sounds pretty unflattering, but it's a very nice scent, although it's a weak one, and I don't get anything "cold" out of it once it's on my skin. Not one of my absolute favorites, but it's very pleasant.

Clean, an herbal soapy clean. I don't smell violets at all, and I love violet. I do smell lily, I think.

Someone else mentioned hotel soap. I'm inclined to agree.

Although it is pleasant, I'm not too sad that I missed out on a bottle of this one.

This is very difficult to describe--I think Beth just hit the nail on the head best with "gellid coldness". I know this isn't physically possible but I *swear* my nostrils freeze momentarily whenever I sniff it. Numb doesn't come out antiseptic on my skin, just like a blast of wintry ozone; makes me think of standing outside in the middle of a snowstorm when the temperature hits ten below and not a trace of green is in sight.

Numb

In the Vial:  Whoa, something sharp. Sharply cologney.

Wet:  On, still a little cologney. Shifting into something powdery.

Verdict: It's actually not so bad dried down. The scent in the vial is pretty terrifying, but it's much nicer dried down. Still, all in all, I can do without it. Especially given how rare it is.

On the skin: Strong, perfumey, and a sour soapy floral. Very strange and not at all what I was expecting. I am afraid that I really don't like this one at all.

Oh Numb - how I love thee... :thud:

When I got my first bottle of Numb in 2005 it was instant love.

Since then I made it through 3 bottles - and I still own another 3... :lol:

To me, Numb is the perfect white musk + violet - scent.

Its simple and pure, yet not chilly at all to my nose.

It has some strong similarity to Estee Lauders "White Linen", without the strong alcohol-and

old lady-vibe of WL.

It stays pretty true on skin and it lasts all day on me.

I will cry when I finish my last bottle.

MMMMMmmm this is clean, and sweet and lovely. Soapy and fresh. I :heart: this so much - perfect for Spring.

Wow-what a difference a few years makes!I tried this not long after it first came out and all I got was a harsh soap smell and swapped it away ASAP.Well I thought I'd give it another shot as my scent tastes have changed a bit since then and I have to say it is beautiful-pure white musk and violets is what I get now....absolutely lovely and will be perfect for the hot, humid summer on it's way :wub2:

I admit I was a little worried about this one with so many people saying it turned soapy. I'm happy that I went with instinct on this one. In the bottle its overwhelmingly violet. Wet it cools down considerably and the violet moves back. Dry it becomes icy violets, very fresh and clean and really cooling. Perfect for those melting summer days.

I received a bottle of Numb purely by serendipitous accident thanks to Maljen, and boy, what a great mistake it turned out to be. I :evol: this. I can't emphasize that enough.

Numb smells like concentrated holy water, and strangely enough, that is a very good thing. The similarities are uncanny, really. I haven't identified as Catholic for years and years, but this scent brings back so many wonderful childhood memories. It reminds me of my grandmother, whom I was incredibly close to and passed away when I was very young.

It's very calming, to put it lightly. This is perfect for summer or after really stressful days. I NEVER would have sought this out on my own, and now it's one of my absolute favorites. I am continually amazed at what Beth and the Lab are capable of encapsulating in their fragrances. :wub2: