Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Simply cool, the essence of Lounge: the scent of a crisp pomegranate martini.

I've never reviewed this one? It's one of my favorites! The tang of the boozy note, that bright, dark red pomegranate note. It has a LOT of throw, and the smell makes me not only very happy, but very thirsty for a pomegranate martini, and the kind of relaxing environment where someone might be serving them. :P

Swank is in my top 10 since the very beginning, and has never left. It's second only to Bewitched for a happy, happy smell. It never goes powdery on me, but stays rich and bright. Edited by Shollin

imp: first, I smell effervescent pomegranite, but there is also a sweaty, dirty smell...

wet: the dirty smell is quickly overtaking the fruit... :P

Dry: eeeewwwww...gets realllllly NASTY later! :D

fruity booze! it's a little too crisp for me though...my nose doesnt like crisp or overly ozone scents. :/ *gives it awhile* gets more fruity and less crisp as it dries. might age it or something.

I can tell there's some beautiful pomegranate in this, but alas, the ozone note is just too strong. It's that same headache-threatening ozone that made Macchu Pichu break my heart. Kind of like Everclear mixed with gin. Ah well.

This is a perfect summer party scent. I wore it to my office Christmas party last night. Lasts quite well for a fruity scent. I do like the crispness.

At first this is really sour and tart, almost like a fruity vinegar. I think I smell a floral note as well which I seem to be amping.

I'm not sure what pomegranate oil smells like but I think it disappeared. I'm left with a very pungent sourness that I'm not liking at all. I remember this sourness from twenty one and another drink blend which I can't remember right now, although those two weren't as sour. It looks like the drink/martini blends don't work so well on me.

There's a pretty, juicy fruitiness coming out now which smells very bright and red. I want to try more perfumes with pomegranate. :P

ETA: I read some other reviews and people mentioned ozone. I've noticed ozone going sour on me before. I bet that's contributing.

Edited by oh_the_horror

Ugh... this smells like horrible plug-in air fresheners. Ick. It's got that cheap, plasticky, gel scent that those plug-ins have when they run out of whatever scent they're supposed to smell like. Not good at all....

Bingo!!! A friend and I have been sitting here trying to figure out what it smelled like (neither of us liked it - it'll be going in my swap box), but couldn't quite nail it. I kept coming up with cheap perfumed hotel soap - but you nailed it.

I'm glad there are a lot of folks out there who love it!

-N

First on: sweet pineapple and clean aquatics. I like this stage.

Near drydown: candied pineapple vomit. Sorry, but this turned horrid on me. Wish I knew the exact notes.

Far drydown: very sweet pineapple. Not bad, just kind of eh. I won't re-purchase.

Booze. Boooooooze.

In the vial - This is heavy on the 'granate and the booze isn't nearly as sharp as I normally see in martinis. But, I like it. ALOT. Because there's no gin.

Wet - Ah, the gin's coming out the teeniest bit...

Drying - The pomegranate has almost gone cherry soap on me. How very odd. Yet despite that, I'm really liking this. It's not too sticky sweet, yet it's fruity. The juniper of the gin HAS come out (I think that's what's making it soapy!), but it's not in my face. Like the actual liquid is.

Dry (2 hours) - This has become a dusty pomegranate sans any sort of booze. It's very dry, very powdery type fruit. And it's super faint. So faint you have to press your nose to my wrist to catch anything.

Overall - Well... I don't know, really. It's interesting, but the question is would I wear it? Probably not. The dry down just didn't work out and the wet stages, while nice, aren't something I'd probably want to smell like all the time. It DOES make me wonder if I should stay away from gin scents, though. :P

Boooze is right.

While I love the booziness of Smut, this one turns me off. I strongly dislike gin, and I loathe reeking of sharp alcohol. The pomegranate is like cheap fruit punch instead of the awesome sweetness it should be.

Have I not reviewed this? It is incredible, and perfect now that the weather is getting very warm. It's fruity, sweet, and tart. It makes my mouth water. Yum. :P

Imp: shampoo with alcohol :P

Wet: same... only now it is more obvious that the fruit is indeed pomegranate

Dry: well it *is* nice, but I can't help feeling like this smells just like some kind of shampoo I have used at some point. Which means it smells nice and everything, but I just don't think it works for me as a perfume...

Good and strong in terms of lasting power and throw

Swank is sweet and fruity yet with a tang. It reminds me a lot of a body shop fruity scent. Except it's like a more sophisticated version, like a fruity cocktail, indeed.

It's like a girl's night out, all that sort of grown-up giggliness in strappy heels.

swankSS.jpg

Oh. My. Goddess. This scent is divine! I've only had a taste of a Pomegranate Martini (my daughter ordered one when we took her out for supper last week) and I loved it, but this smells so much better than the drink tasted! I want a bottle...no, make that bottles! No kidding, this is the first blend with an ozone note that I can stand to wear, much less love enough to want more. Yay, Beth!

In the imp: fruity tartness, with a tang of juniper (the gin speaks!).

Wet on skin: No change from the imp scent, the pomegranate still rules with its sweet tartness. I am in love.

Dry: The juniper is there, but I never got the high boozy note, nor did any ozone note cause me any problems as it has before. Even in the drydown, the tartness of the pomegranate held, with a juicy sweet tang that just made me want to slurp my wrist (but I didn't). This had a lot of throw when I wore it, and lasted a really long time. This makes it even more desirable as a bottle purchase, because I know it will last a good while for me.

Verdict: Since I began sniffing, buying, and wearing BPAL blends, I've had to change a lot of my preconceptions about what I like to smell. I would have told you I was all rose, lavender, or patchouli, with some sandalwood every now and then. I would have said fruit scents were just too sweet, and probably wouldn't have even tried any. Because BPAL sells their blends in sample (imp) sizes, one can experiment a wide range of blends, trying any and everything without being out a lot of wasted money. And this is the result! I am finding more and more scents I love that I would never have tried before BPAL. Truly...thank you, Beth.

Edited by stellans

This is so very punchy!!! Tart and blood red, definitely, but it assaults me like I killed it's kittens. (I did nothing of the sort.)

It lasts and lasts, almost making my eyes water with it's tart sourness. It might do in the middle of a humid summer, but I'm kindof scared of it now...

In the bottle, this one smelled fruity and good, but as soon as it hit my wrist, my immediate thought was "I've made a huge mistake."

On me, it took on the smell of some kind of scented bathroom cleaner. I put my wrists in front of my fiancee's nose and his two-word review was "urinal cakes." The scent has gotten less strong, but continues to be bathroom-like.

This one's hitting my trade pile.

i love pomegranates, but something turned it kinda sour o me...it smelled beautiful before i tried it on though

I am astounded I have not reviewed this as it is one of my all time favorite scents. I even checked back through the pages, completely unbelieving that I had not reviewed this.

In the vial: sharp fizzy bold red fruits

On me: Bursting with pomegranate and cranberry, spiked with electricity and tartness

Verdict: Simply divine. A clean scent to me because of all its energy and sparkle, though there is nothing soaplike about it. Bursting fruit. Bathing in the guts of red fruit. Drinking red fruit smoothies with a sharp jolt of something. Sophisticated and yet fun.

Bottle: certainly pomegranate and kind of boozy. Crisp and seems to be a summery smell. Hopefully.

Self wet: sweet and strong. Very tinged with booze. Kind of sour or tart, big surprise what with the pomengranite. Problem is I am not a fan of tart things. It really loses the crispness it has in the bottle quickly.

Late later: goes from that clear sparkling tart smell to a powdery sweet tart kind of candy-ish smell. Not bad, a little girly and reminds one of nights out with girls in high school. I don't think I would wear though. Budd (my man) found it a bit strong when I was at his restaurant (though I admit I put quite a bit on when testing).

Next morning: sour sweet tarts, very icky. A wash off scent (as opposed to one that will fade naturally).

Overall: I admit I am not a fan of pomengranite to begin with, but I do try all imps I get cause you never know. This however is too tart and later too powdery for me. Ah well.

Pure pomegranate goodness. I tend to go for the simpler scents so I like this one. It's one, however, that really varies on me depending on weather, hormones, whatever--sometimes it's this wonderfully tart fruityliciousness and sometimes it goes over the line into overly sweet territory. But when it's good, it's very, very good.

I got this because I'd heard from several people that it was pretty much a pomegranate single note. Doesn't come off that way at all for me, sadly. In the imp and on my skin, it just smells like various orange cleaners. I do like the smell of orange cleaners for cleaning.. but it isn't really something I want to smell like myself.

i don't understand this scent :P i love martinis. i do. even the sweet ones. and i love pomegranate. but i do not see anything of a pomegranate martini in swank. i'm unsure as to why, but a couple bpal scents that are meant to be sweet are nothing but lollipops on me. the generic kind. i just don't want to smell that way. here, that is what i get: sticky (melting in the sun sticky) red lollipops. if it at least had the twang of a martini, i'd appreciate swank, but i get not even that. too bad.

When I first tried this on, the boozy scent was almost too much for me. I think I have to be in the right mood for that smell...

Today, I was, so I slathered it all on. The fruitiness is lovely and it has some lasting power and a fair bit of throw. However, all in all, I find the scent kind of simple. I wish it was a bit more complex. I can see myself getting bored with this scent by the end of the day. Hm.

Not sure if I'll keep this imp.

On me, Swank does not morph much from application to drydown, except the edge is tempered and the pomegranate really grows. The juniper is a perfect companion to the pomegranate, keeping it sharp and exciting! I love the crisp effect that results from this blend so much that I need to find more opportunities to wear it.

I also should note that it doesn't strike me as so boozy that you have to avoid it so you don't smell like a lush or anything. :P Just tarty and playful and fun! (EXCEPT: depending on the time of the month, super juicy fruits can turn gross sometimes, so a note of caution!)

Edited by Precis