Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pink.owl

Buck Moon

This Full Moon marks the time of the year when the new antlers of buck deer emerge from their foreheads, coated in soft velvet. This is a time of masculine vigor, thunder, balmy nights, glorious sunlight and hot winds. Buck Moon is an animalistic, deep scent: an amplification of one's natural musk coupled with forest herbs, a hint of clear, warm evening air and a crystalline spark of lunar oil.

Wow, this is absolutely stunning. I am so fortunate that I got a chance to try this (thank you -- you know who you are!). It really is like the cool fresh air in the very early hours of a summer day. A little bit of a hint of something lemony and cool, sweet grasses, and leaves, with a little bit of clean-skin sweetness as well. It's very sweet, gentle, and fresh. This is not something I thought I would like, but it's truly one of the prettiest fragrances I've smelled. I will treasure this (and keep my eye out for some more!).

:P

Buck Moon is very hard for me to describe, because I can't seem to hang words on the scent. It smells like the way deerskin suede feels to my hand. It smells like the softness of a deer's coat looks. It smells like August, in all the best ways, when the grasses ripen and start to dry. It smells like sunshine... or maybe like sunshine that was stored up in the leaves and stems of the plants as they grew, and now that the sun is going down, the stored sunlight is being released as the deer move out through the tall grasses at the edge of the woods. It smells like the last sunlight at dusk, and like the word "golden" when applied to sunsets, only softer. When I put it on my skin, it smells like all these things, and most of all it smells like me. Which is a statement that looks chock-full of hubris, but that's not what I mean. I mean it smells like how I feel when I am really happy, especially if I'm walking a labyrinth mowed into a field on the edge of the woods, with the late afternoon sun on my skin.

Beth, this one is big magic to me. Thank you so much for it.

I cannot hang the words on it, but I might have to make a necklace to express it.

*wanders off toward workbench with a contemplative expression*

In the bottle: soft, hard to figure out

On: Still hard to figure out...then "Oh crap! Whatthe?! Ew! Stinky! Whattheheck is that smell?!? Ew!!! Smells like rotten cabbages! Get it off!!!!!!" ....and I immediately ran to the bathroom to wash it off, which then left a lovely gentle smell!

This is so weird! I have never had a BPAL scent do something so freakishly weird and unexpected as that cabbage smell! But then, the after effect of washing it off, is so nice! Weird, weird, weird! And now, I don't know if I should keep it or not.

:P

buckmoon.jpg

This one is a fraternal twin sister to the Chaos Theory 2 I received which was VIII. VIII was hard enough to describe, Buck Moon is no different. I would say it is a musk and it's something between the sharp musk of Vechernyaya and white musk. I can't smell too much more in it. I would say it is autumn-like and blends with your skin to the point that it is positively subtle. You might say there is a once removed citrus component here, but it's not anything you can identify by name, just a vague volitility clinging to the edges. There is absolutely nothing floral about this mix, no vanilla at all, nothing foody. This is an original blend. I am sure it lasts like mad (being a musk) but it is so small and soft, you won't mind living with it. It isn't very sexy to my taste, it's much more of an intellectual type of scent. Hope this was a help in describing what Buck Moon is like.

I got a decant of this, and I'm soooo happpy! I'm really glad I have another one coming. Thank you imp givers!

In the imp this is a complex, hard to define scent. It's grassy, vaguely fruity (but not foody), and ever so slightly minty. I like it.

On my skin, the grassiness amps up, and there's a tiny bit of soapiness, which isn't strong, but which I'm hoping will go away. The grass note makes me think of clover hay, not green but dry and sweet.

As it dries, it mellows, and thank heavens the slight whiff of soap turns very faintly powdery. After the soap is gone, here comes the soft musky scent of clean skin. It's WONDERFUL. It reminds me of snuggling my face in the curve of someone's freshly washed neck. I can't tease apart all the elements I'm smelling, but I will say that it's fresh, outdoorsy and softly musky. It's multilayered, but not fussy or loud. There's also a faint spiciness to this, but very faint, kind of on the edge of my scent perception. I can't stop sniffing my wrist and arm where I have dabbed it. I smell so warm and fresh. I also think that this would smell just as wonderful on a man..

I can't wait to see what my scent sensitive PSP thinks of this. It's so clean and close to the skin, that I think he'll enjoy it. I've been searching for a great BPAL musk blend, and I've found one!

First Sniff:

OMGWTFBBQ *dies* This smells like musk and heat and sex and passion and skin and..rawr. I want to bury my nose in it.

Wet:

Yes please. More of that lovely musky skin scent but it's more heady and pronounced. It smells of crisp moonlit nights and warm skin. Oh my god.I want to hump my arm :P

Drydown:

!!!!!!! Pure Nature Sex.

Aftermath:

Rawr. Tis mine. And lovely. One of my favouritest moons evar!

This is my first moon ever. So I was really excited about getting this.

Since I live in Pennsylvania, the Whitetail Deer state, I thought this would be a fun blend to get for my Fiance. You can't go anywhere without seeing deer, they are everywhere.

My first impression of this is that it smells light and lemony. It smells somewhat grassy and with a very light musk. There is a sweetness that reminds me of hay or dried grass. Smells a little like Coyote and Scarecrow had a threesome with a lemon. It is a lot better than it sounds. :P

On my fiance this smells fantastic! It hangs really close to the skin, goes so well with his chemistry. This is very sexy! I'm wishing I would have bought more than one bottle. I can't wait for the next moons to get here!

In the bottle: I think these are the same herbs that I smell in Mantis.

Wet: It disappears on my skin for a few minutes, leading me to wonder if I should have applied more. Then it slowly comes back, and it's a very pretty scent. I get the light musk/fresh air notes out of it, but for the most part, it's hard to describe. Someone above mentioned coconut... I think I get a little of that too.

Drydown: Is that amber? I did not expect that, but that's what I'm smelling. I like amber, but I have lots of other amber scents, and I wasn't really imagining that this scent would go in that direction. Maybe it's just my skin that's doing that, because no one else has mentioned it yet. Since Mantis also has amber, I am once again reminded of it.

Overall: Very pretty. Not what I was expecting, and I admit that disappoints me a bit, but I'm not sorry I bought it. I thought I loved Mantis, but as long as I'm comparing the two, I can say that I think I like this better.

This is really amazing. I am not in top sniffing form because I am having some sort of allergy or cold thing right now but the beauty of this oil comes through anyway.

Thanks to the above post which compares it to Mantis, I am able to place where I recognize these herbs...this is definitely similar to Mantis, which I loved but never quite found a reason to wear. I think I will wear this more because the musk really amplifies it and gives it a feeling crisp, clean night air and warm fur. It reminds me of some of the winter scents like Ice Queen in its ability to both chill and warm at the same time.

This is the kind of starry, crystalline, sparkling night air scent that I've been dying for, but it escapes being a pure air scent with that comforting, gentle frosted musk and the flourish of golden green herbs. I think I sense something like bergamot or verbena in there giving it a slightly sweet and sunny glow.

The moon oils have really been wowing me lately, I wasn't into them at first but with each month I am amazed all over again. Buck Moon is definitely a favorite, and I think I will be wearing this a lot in the winter, when I need a breath of something slightly warm, comforting and clean as I head out into the cold.

Buck Moon

In the imp: a soft, faint, green and herbal scent with a warm sweetness behind it.

Wet on skin: this is nice. Green herbs, grass, crushed leaves, fresh night air and a warm background of musk.

Dry on skin: mmm!!! Now I can see why this is so loved-it's quite beautiful! The musk in here is sublime-it reminds me of Morocco's soft sweet musk or of skin-scent musk, and there's maybe also a white musk note that is clear and sparkling. There's a fresh scent of herbs and grasses and a scent like the air in the forest on warm summer nights with the crisp light of the moon shining. It's lovely.

After a while: I can now make out the lunar oils-it's that clear, crystalline scent that I found in Blue Moon…or maybe that could be a white musk? Whatever it is, it brings images of moonlight, silvery and cool, into my head. The musk and forest scents now blend together as one. There's something about this scent that reminds me of summer nights when I've been away on holiday. The air has the scent of herbs and pine trees, and it's warm, yet fresher than the daytime, and the stars are so bright, the sky so clear, you can see the milky way…and here it has that smooth, velvety musk, the scent of warm skin, which gets even nicer as it dries down even more.

Verdict: this is a blend of a green fresh fragrance of crushed leaves and herbs, with warm night air, and a wonderful soft musk, which is sweet and sensual, a real skin scent. There's a scent here that really does remind me of those warm summer nights, it's so accurate…and the musk isn't animalistic in the slightest-it's like that gorgeous musk in Morocco which I adore. Soft and velvety, with the sultry warmth of a summer night. I am glad that I have an imp of it, and I'm regretting not getting a bottle.

This is a really different one, I've never smelled anything quite like this before. It actually conjours images of fuzzy, brown antlers and forests. It's a light brown scent for me, earthy and woodsy but in a soft sort of way. It's light but long lasting, and what i would traditionally categorize as masculine. This one's not for me, but my man snatched up the bottle right away :P

Upon application this scent is utterly refreshing and fantastic.....more musky than anything......extremely clean smelling and long lasting ....

I am very, very pleased with Buck Moon. A very fine blend. :P

i really had no expectations at all for this blend. deer is one of my strongest animal totems, and it is almost always on his back that i ride when i journey. so when i saw that a buck moon lunar oil was coming out, i just had to have it. for ritual. for journeying. for tribute to deer, and to the buck that died bringing me the knowledge of my totem.

in the bottle, all i really smell are the lunar notes.

on my wrist, once the scent has dried down, what it reminds me of is a round nest in a large expanse of tall, tan grass. the grass has dried, it is late summer. i've found a good spot to sleep for the night. it is sheltered on two sides by tall, wide trees. i can see all around me. i hunker down, turning around and around, making a circular indentation of soft grass. i lie down, and close my eyes. i smell the warm grass, i smell my fur. i smell the scent of the herbs in the meadow before me, and the sharpness of the forest behind me. and the scent of the clear, crystalline night sky above me.

Based on all the hype that Buck Moon has been receiving, I purchased a decant from a lovely forumite to sate my curiosity. I get light herbs and lunar oils on a slightly creamy base and can't detect any musk (which is a bit strange, considering how much my skin likes to amp up musk). While Buck Moon is indeed very nice, it's not an OMFG scent for me and it's so extremely soft that it is almost undetectable after half an hour. I'm not compelled to offer up any of my favourite LEs for it and I'm not even sure that I'll keep this decant. A very good case of 'your mileage may vary'... :P

The lunar oils dominated Buck Moon reminding me strongly of Blue Moon. However, Buck Moon had a warm, musky quality to it that added spice but not darkness. It was soothing rather than overpowering.

This is a very gentle scent and has great staying power (7 hours and still fairly strong).

Buck Moon is so much lighter than I had expected; wet, it's nearly aquatic, all cool, crisp evening air and wet grasses. It's such a clear scent, and such an unexpectedly sweet herbal. It's very very delicate, with an underlying strength...it rather reminds me of a deer's legs...so fragile-looking, but so incredibly powerful at the same time.

The musk doesn't appear for a good hour, and is very natural; it's like a softer, more subtle Coyote. Beautiful. This scent is all the beauty and power, grace and strength of a deer. I'm completely undone.

The drydown on this is very sweet (in the literal sense).

Reminds me of what I had been hoping Peitho would be, Buck Moon comes closer to my expectations since there is no Jasmine to overwhelm the rest. A very nice, slightly woodsy scent- very feminine to wear, so much so that my husband doesnt want to try it. It's ok though, more for me.

I was realizing, after many Lunacy blends, I still don't have any idea what "lunar oils" are. I have several favorites (Wolf, Chaste, Honey) and they all smell different from each other and I can't catch any similarities. Anyway...

In bottle: sparkly, like Storm Moon. Storm went all laundry detergent on me, so we'll see about this.

Wet on skin: still sparkly and tingly, but instead of detergent there's a complexity, like Wolf Moon. It must be the "forest herbs." I don't think this is the musk, which I picture as very masculine and heavy. This is light, clean and refreshing.

Half-hour later: no morphing into anything else, which is more unusual for my skin. Sometimes the blends are morphing all over the place, annoying the cats. But this is still very crisp and clean with no accompanying soap.

In conclusion: I took a chance on ordering this, which I feared would be too masculine, but butter my butt and call me a biscuit! I'm glad for the bottle.

In the bottle

Mmm, the same lunar oils that are in Blue Moon are in the background, sort of a watery ethereal quality and a crystalline or bright almost citrus note, then underneath warm subtle sweetness and sensual wisp of musk.

On the skin

I get a bit more of a water/pine note on my skin, it smells like the same lunar oils in Blue moon. It's similar to that "Skadi/Ice Queen/Sea of Glass/Amsterdam" thing. It's bright and crisp in the middle (the crystalline quality in the description) which no longer smells citrussy on my skin really which is fine. There's more herbies in the middle than the lunar blends, some almost bitter but nothing heinously so. The warm soft musk note was more so in the bottle than on my skin unfortunately. I say unfortunately because it was nice, not that this on skin scent is not nice.

Dry

Dries to a nice warm/refreshing sensual blend.

Scent Family

Herbal/Aqua/Animal like

Summary

Crisp, bright, water, outdoors, blended with warm sensual skin and musk scent.

It's at once warm but also refreshing. :P How does she do it?

Purchase again?

Yes, for my mate but not for me, it's comforting and sensual but not necessarily "me". Even though it's not "me" too much, it's there with the "B list" Lunacy blends in my mind anyway.

Rating 1-5 (5 being best)

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Musky.

In the bottle: Grass? This is so hard to explain, but it smalls vaguely of grass, and... something that's in Coyote.

On skin, wet: Creamy, silky, velvety musk! There's also something just barely spicy, that reminds me a bit of Morocco. Beautiful.

On skin, dry: Around the 30-minute mark, something mossy shows up, and it... is not good. It fades rather quickly, but while it's there, it strikes me as, well, rotting moss. Quite strange. Unfortunately, when "it" fades, I mean the Buck Moon fades. As in, away.

Conclusion: I tried this twice more, and got the same reaction both times. This makes me quite sad. But, even during its wet stages, while it smelled terribly pretty, it just wasn't something I'd wear as a perfume. Of the two bottles I have, I think I'll end up keeping one.

Edited by Aredhel

In bottle: Clear like ozone and clean water. Light florals too - this is the dew-covered meadow as the sun finds it each morning, before the rest of the world disturbs it.

On me: This becomes quite musky on the skin. That clean water crystalline note disappears into the beating heart of a living, breathing animal. The fragrance makes me want to run, dance, play - move! It's an active, engaging scent. In fact it is almost a second-skin scent, probably because it amplifies your natural musk so.

In the bottle - mmmmmm greeny goodness!

On me - at first, it was a nice green scent, a lot like Verdandi, but without the apple. Nice, but I wasn't in love. BUT, then holy cow! A wonderful musk smell started, a warm musk, and I swear I smell vanilla. Holy crap. I could not stop smelling my wrists, It lasted 8 hours plus too.

This isn't just bottle-worthy, this is gallon-worthy!

Origin: Bought a decant on LJ

In the Bottle: Musk and leather shot with green, I immediately think a man's scent.

Wet: Wow, something's surfaced! Tinges of vanilla or maybe sandalwood, but still predominantly musk & leather.

Drydown: Unfortunately the sweetness fades and it begins to turn really musty on me. :P

Verdict: I want to see what it will do on my husband. I rather like the in-bottle scent and if it works on his chemistry maybe I can lure him into the cult.

Right off the bat this conjures an image of a pond filled with pale blue sugar water infused with tiny blue flowers with the moonlight reflected on it. I'm getting a sweet and buttery vanilla musk blended with a variety of flowers, grasses and herbs. I know I've mentioned sweetness already, but I have to say that this becomes even sweeter as I wear it. It's velvety and not at all sharp and also has something in common with Chaste Moon, though I don't know what it is exactly. To me, Buck Moon is Chaste Moon's little brother. I love this so much!

In the Bottle: GORGEOUS!!!! Wet and full of flowers, sweet and airy and a bit musky, mysterious and just damned lovely.

Dry: The wet clusters of flowers have receded into a shadow of warm body heat. Someone is nearby, but not close, and they are animal and full of heat. Kind of like being in a stable, but just because of the smell of warm bodies clustered about, not the smell of horse poop. :P As it dries further I get whiffs of flowers like the animal I smell is moving through a meadow in the moonlight. More musk appears. Downright perfection.

This is so very original and gorgeous. Sexy body heat, so very mysterious. WELL DONE!!!! A one of a kind perfume no one else on earth has ever made anything like, that I have smelled.

Edited by AlaskaSnows