Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pink.owl

Buck Moon

A Little Lunacy:

This Full Moon marks the time of the year when the new antlers of buck deer emerge from their foreheads, coated in soft velvet. This is a time of masculine vigor, thunder, balmy nights, glorious sunlight and hot winds. Buck Moon is an animalistic, deep scent: an amplification of one’s natural musk coupled with forest herbs, a hint of clear, warm evening air and a crystalline spark of lunar oil.

I figured since I got to purchase this on the Buck Moon, from the Black Broom, I would review it on it's special day!

This oil really surprised me. I was expecting something much more in your face, so to speak.

It is quite lovely, actually, very sexy.

I mostly smell the warm musk and evening air notes. In the bottle, I smell the herbs, but not on my skin. On my skin, it smells like clear evening air, with a lovely, soft musk underneath.

Throw is good, but not overpowering. And has lasted quite while, too!

I wish I was a better reviewer, but I wanted there to be at least one review on the day of the Buck Moon!

This is not the heavy, musky scent I was expecting, almost the opposite actually. In the bottle there is almost a lemon, slight floral, ozoney scent that is so clean, and yes clean air is a wonderful description. On the skin a little musk comes out but it still smells...well...clean!!! And wonderful!!!! I literally keep smelling my arm because it is that good. It is a really refreshing scent and I am very pleasantly surprised, although I love musks so the original thought would have been fine too :P

I think I will be wearing this one alot.

In the bottle:

Slightly lemony herbs

On me:

Oh Buck Moon, you are everything I had hoped you would be! *swoon*

Seriously, I love Buck Moon, and so does my Mom. I will do my best to describe what I smell, but nothing is going to do this scent justice. As soon as it goes on, it's slightly green with the barest hint of citrus. Already, that musk is mingling with my skin and making the most beautiful, sexy, and yet still natural smell. The night air comes right in afterwards, and - well it's night air. Warm, night air to be exact. It's almost like you're standing in the middle of a glen in the night, on a warm summer night - and that warm, soft breeze is caressing your skin, filling your nose with nearby herbs. This scent is subtle, and intriguing. Definitely gender neutral in my opinion - I think a guy or gal could wear this and smell great!

Final note:

I have to track down another bottle when I have money and buy one for my Mom. We LOVE Buck Moon.

I live in the woods in northern California, and deer walk by my windows regularly, so I definitely wanted to try a moon blend that paid homage to them and to the time of year when the magnificent young bucks in their velvety antlers make an appearance (usually stripping my apple tree of its fruit, but oh well...). Buck Moon is as soft and velvety, misty, with a definite woodsy scent touched with the faintest breath of some tiny forest flower. This isn't like burying your face in pine needles or cedar, like some of the other foresty scents I love -- this is more like the description says, the scent of the forest coming on the wind. The deer stop, lift their heads, smelling the green breeze....

This is a beautiful perfume, good for any season, I would think, and for both men and women.

Buck Moon begins with a breath of very light and airy flowers--more like the scent of spring flowers on the wind than *florals* (ie there's a definate "air" smell). Then the scent turns into a velvety-soft skin musk, a cross between the musk in Haunted and white musk (although I really have no idea exactly what musk!). It's gorgeous and slightly sweet, and actually smells more feminine to my nose than I expected. It's like Oisin's feminine counterpart, and it reminds me of Morocco (the non-cedary variety) and Antique Lace. Beautiful! :P

Wow, I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed if they didn't order this. This is not "animalistic" like people were probably thinking it would be. Musk can actually be clean and fresh smelling (for those familiar with it). This is how the musk is in this blend....very light and fresh. It is very light and herbal with the lunar oils brightly sparkling around over top of the musk which smells like a white musk to me. The herbal note is more prominent at first and then as it dries down it all blends together and melds into an herbal, slightly aquatic (lunar oils) skin musk.

Edited by lorajc

First Impression: Lightness of air. Shimmering moonlight.

Second Impression: This scent is so ethereal and gorgeous and very hard to describe. Picture Dorian riding Bambi through a field of green on a moonlit night, a warm breeze blowing.

Final Analysis: For the people who where expecting Prancer's ass are going to kick yourselves for not ordering this. This scent is a perfect dream.

Oh damn this is beautiful.

How to describe this dream of a scent — lingering, warm, soft (soft as the deer velvet or the soft fur of a doe,) wrapped in the memory of forests and the pale hint of herbs and spice. Press close to the skin and it changes: not the scent of deer and herbs, but the smell of human skin (sensual, naked, primal skin.) Not just forests and deer then, but the human animal too, and mating rites and through it all...gentle nuzzling, soft touches, and comfort.

I'm not sure about longevity yet, and as I have succumbed to classic BPAL'ers Syndrome (i.e. I have my nose glued to my wrist) I can't say much about throw either. I suspect it's a close skin scent — that this is a fragrance that really demonstrates itself through close proximity. The closer the better.

I'll put my voice to those who have already said that people will regret not having ordered this. It's a gorgeous, and if there was ever a BPAL perfume that showcased just how beautiful a fantastic musk can be, this is the one. It might well be my favorite of all the lunar oils to date.

Gorgeous. The initial smell is like beach grass -- almost like sweet grass, even, which is one of my favorite smells in the world and which I don't think is in any BPAL blends. It smells like the dry dune forests along Lake Michigan, late in summer: warm, sweet, herbal, with a little skin and sweat thrown in. The skin musk definitely gets stronger later, but never too strong. One of the Moons that best captures its intended season, for me.

This is a skin scent. That is really all I can say about the notes that I'm smelling. I don't get any herbs or musk, just skin.

And it is beautiful.

While Hexennacht's warm skin smell is pure sex, Buck Moon's warm skin smell is motherly and tender. It's the scent of warm skin that you curl up to when you are feeling scared and unsure. It's the warm skin that you snuggle up to when you need to be loved and comforted.

This is absolutely wonderful and amazing, and I'm so glad I ignored my initial hesitation because of the name. This is probably my favorite lunar blend to date.

This is why I try not to have preconceived notions about Beth's blends.

Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous

This wears very close to my skin, a soft light, shining golden glow of musk that's more morning's first sun than midday heat. A soft touch of grass and warm air - and yes the warm air is definitly in there though i'm not sure how she did it. Just gorgeous. Light and clean and fresh, this was soothing and invigorating all at once and not at all earthy and animalistic. It wears very close to my skin which I love. Definite keeper.

I just got my order in, and WOW! I am in love with Buck moon... this very quickly threw Red moon out of 1st place for my favorite lunar oil. I am so impressed with this, it is subtle & very close to the skin. It is light white musk, I think! I can smell the lunar oils in the background, they make the musk perk up a little. I am just totally in love, and I cant wait to put this in some lotion so I can waft all ove the damn place! I am soooooooo happy I got 2 bottles, I always get 2... but I will definately keep both of them! :P :D

I too was expecting something a bit animalistic from my Buck Moon... but this is indeed one of the least describable scents I have ever tried. I can't think of a thing to compare it to! It's almost sweet and creamy, but with a mossy undertone and maybe a hint of citrus. In the bottle it's like a grapefruit-musk with a touch of cream but on my skin, very woodsy.

The creaminess comes out as it sits on my skin. Yum dee yum yum. I think there might be something ashy in there too.

This was one of the few times I had to look at the reviews here because I just.. have no idea what I'm smelling. All of my descriptions are just guesses! It grows sweeter and sweeter as time passes but never becoms "too much."

Edited by aidenraine

In Bottle: Sweet outdoors.

On Skin: Interesting!!! First off, this isn’t very animalistic at all. It reminds me of fallen leaves on the forest floor, a bit wet still, dirty, woody and mossy. Sweet yet dark and musty. I really like it since I grow up in the mountains and it reminds me of when I would get lost in the woods following my favorite deer. There is no scent like this, so complex and unique. It isn’t really femine though, I think I might like it better on my husband. After about 20 minutes, the musk shines through and is a bit strong for me...

in the bottle: AMAZING! soft, sweet in a green summer grass sweet kind of way, not a sugar sweet way

wet: summer. i don't know how to explain it, it smells warm, like a summer breeze i do get the white musk scent, but it is so clean and light. not animalistic in the least

this is clean soft, and hangs close to the skin. it is very hard to tell where i end and the buck begins. i keep getting the image of a fresh bed of moss. when it is bright bright green and velvety, it is sweet, and grassy, but not dried grass. man i know what it isn't but knowing what it is it tough. i am just glad i have some :P

Mostly, even after I slathered Buck Moon on, I smelled my own skin, with a breezy, wonderful scent I'd associate with being outdoors on a late summer night. It's not a scent that you smell, per se, but an aroma that surrounds you, if that makes any sense at all.

There was a scary little bit where this went to pencil shavings on me, though. I was worried, but then it was again light, sweet musk. I don't know if I'd wear this alone, but perhaps layered with other scents, or perhaps in an oil burner.

I do know that I was more sensitive to smells while I wore it-- particularly my own pheremonal smells. I think I need to try this on the boyfriend and see if it makes a difference in that way. I didn't wear it around others, so I wouldn't be able to say if it got me any extra attention. This reminds me more of a TAL than a BPAL perfume oil.

I will probably keep a shortie of this, since I'm borderline on how often I'd reach for it, because it is so light. It's not at all what I suspected, and it is unique in its own way. Bravo, Beth.

Let me just add another "gorgeous!" to the chorus. At first sniff, it reminded me of Storm Moon--cool & citrusy. Dabbed on, it softened & deepened; it's a wonderful light, soft scent that's perfect to wear at the close of summer.

And it lasts! I dabbed it on my wrist 9 hours ago & have washed dishes since, & I can still smell it.

This one's going into the "order again if it's offered" pile!

*weep* Why do the lunar oils always turn to dishsoap on my skin?

This one's going in a locket, because it is gorgeous in the bottle. But on me... soap. Just like every other lunar blend I've tried.

Bad skin chemistry! Bad!

My Impression:

OMGOSH This is one of the most awesome and complex lunacy oils I have yet to try...I rate it up there with Red Moon and Blue Moon....It is truly that lovely. The musk is not at all overwhelming and I agree with the earlier reveiwer that stated that this was "Sweet Outdoors". My Scale of 1-5....5

You will have a hard time prying this one out of my hands and I will be seeking more of it as well. Congratulations Beth on a Super Special Blend :P

In the bottle, this is one of the most absolutely complex and magical blends I've ever smelled. I was *so* happy to have ordered it when I smelled it fresh from the post this morning. Wet, I would describe this as a blend of light musk, citrus, and lunar oils from the minty/herbal collection.

On my skin, alas, it very quickly turns powdery. Not sniff your wrist and smell baby powder, but actual baby powder throw, while a close wrist sniff reveals the delightfulness of the actual blend. I tried a thicker application (having not slathered the first time out), hoping that might help, and it has a little, but it really seems that this is not a blend that works terribly well on my skin.

I will have to try it on my husband and see how it works on him, but I suspect that this will not be a keeper. :P

Ooh, yum. It's not quite what I expected, but I love it. To me this smells herbal and aquatic, but NOT ozone-aquatic--ozone comes up very strong and nose-irritating on me, and this is just wet, like dew on the grass. I have never, never, never found a scent that was "wet" without turning to soap or ozone on me.

The whole impression is light and lovely, with the high note of green herbs--and possibly something citrusy--gentle and sweet, and the background of musk equally clear, yet low-key. I would call it springy, not so much summery, yet I could certainly see myself wearing this cool and liquid scent on a hot day.

This scent also morphs a lot--every time I smell it, I feel that a different note comes out, which to me means that it's perfectly balanced.

I have to admit I ordered quite a lot of this and lordy, am I thankful that I did. It's already a favorite of mine. This one really blows me away and has shot right into my top ten. Brava, Beth!

On my scale, a 5 out of 5.

Later: I wanted to edit to say that the only downside is that the scent dissipates fairly quickly on my skin, after a couple hours. But it's still a surprise every time I put it on because it's so different, and special.

Edited by Undine

Preconceived notions: As a fan of musks, I figured I'd like this one, and didn't let the "animalistic" description scare me off (to me, musks are rarely animally - instead they usually smell like very clean humans).

In the bottle: Heavily herbal, a little masculine - very cool smelling. A bit more aquatic/herbal than I usually like.

Wet on skin: Very clean and cold smelling, and still a bit masculine. Where's the musk and warmth?

Drydown: Ah, there it is. There's still a cold herbal undertone that I get with some of the lunacy oils, but the skin-scent of musk is starting to poke through - it's warm, sweet and almost... coconutty. My nose must be a bit wonky, because I swear I'm getting a breath of fresh coconut, mixed in with a lightly spiced musk and forest herbs.

Final thoughts: I'll agree with everyone who thinks that those who didn't order this might regret it. It's a lovely scent, and truly gender-neutral (though a little masculine on me in the wet stage - but I'm really not an herbal girl).

I'm so glad I ordered this. I was put off by the idea this would be musky and furry, and it's not. At all. Well, maybe a bit musky, but not in the animalistic, furry way I had expected. It's very clear. It makes me think of salt water and clear skies and summer evenings. On the skin, there's a perfumeyness about it that's comforting and nostalgic.

This is so, so pretty.

In the bottle: ozone and something green

On my skin: the ozone fades completely away and I'm left with a sweet herbal smell. It almost reminds me of Milk Moon (!) because behind the cold green smell there's something really creamy. I don't know if it's the musk reacting to my skin or if it's the lunar oils that are reminding me of Milk Moon, but it's there.

I'm so glad I caved at the last minute and ordered this.

Ok gonna try this again since it got ate a few minutes ago.

In the bottle the scent of a fresh breeze of an Indian Summer above the tree line in the Cascade Mountains, I can smell the forest and mountain lakes in this one.

On it's a spicy musk with hints of the lunar oils and mountain meadows. After 30-40 minutes the spicyness goes away and I'm left with a soft musky meadow and hints of lunar oils. This is a must keep and if it comes back next year I will be ordering more of it!