Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blood*rose*flowers

Snake Charmer

Sensual, sibilant, sexual and hypnotic: Arabian musk and exotic spices slinking through Egyptian amber, enticing vanilla, and a serpentine blend of black plum, labdanum, ambrette, benzoin and black coconut.

In the bottle: Eek, musk. Spices, too, but only in the background.

Wet: Musk seems to fade slightly behind vanilla and amber, which actually smells a lot like caramel. Very little of the rest (no coconut).

Dry: Actually very similar to wet. Still no coconut, lots of vanilla, and very much like caramel... with something else. Kind of figgy, actually. Very rich. This gets my vote.

In the Imp: Slinky, sexy, sweet and yummy. This is like the most yummy incense blend ever.

Wet: The vanilla is definately a winner in this blend, along with the musk and spices it's not too sweet and totally smoky. This is just so...fabulous. I want to smell this all the time.

Dry: Oooooh, *purr*. Slightly spicier, the musk developed even more, the amber stays put, because it knows what's good for it (amber usually goes all powdery on me). The labdanum and black coconut never have a front seat, but instead add depth to the scent.

Throw: Pretty damn good!

Overall: It's everything I love in a perfume - deep, slightly sweet, smoky, musky, spicy, nothing like any other perfume ever (or at least of the 'designer perfume' variety, there are a couple of other BPAL scents that this reminds me a bit of).

Love! Love! Love! Dammit, now I'm going to have to sell my potential first born to buy a bottle of this stuff.

Rating: +++

imp:reminds me of Scherezade only less "warm."

wet: same, but more of a tang of commercial perfume and flowers.

dry: OHHHH MYYYYYY! A gorgeous RICH scent that becomes more and more a delicious warm vanilla (so far, my perfect vanilla, I'd say) as the hours pass. It has incredible throw all day and more.

Verdict: Probably my alltime BPAL favorite so far. I just can't believe how AMAZING this turns as the day wears on. I can even smell it in my hair the next morning. I wish I had MOOOOOORE!!! This is what I had HOPED Snake Oil would smell like on me.

In the vial, this is a somewhat light vanilla that isn’t particularly sweet, instead being rather smooth. On my skin, this is a smooth, dark vanilla-ish scent on top of the amber and labdanum resins, and a mix of musk spices; I don’t smell the plum or coconut, though. After a few hours on my skin, this smells like a dark, musky, softer vanilla spice to me; though a guy at work asked, “What’s that smell? Did you put on some Chinese incense or something?” – it doesn’t smell like incense to me!

Description says I should love it, and it's only of the highly coveted discontinued scents, so I predict I'll like it. *sniff* Yes, I do. The amber is predominant to me, but the coconut and vanilla are dancing around the top, too. Not really getting the plum. Definitely has a spicy feel to it.

oh, my! i'm in lust with this scent!

in the bottle - this reminds me of smut/snake oil/scherezade...possibly the love child of those three. very 'spicy', and i suck at notes, so that's about the most detail i can provide.

drydown - can i just make out with myself, please? like, NOW? *grins* this hardly morphs at all, and for that, it only gets better.

while i'm beyond touched someone gifted me this imp, i am now on active stalking mode for MORE!

for some reason, i can't wear Snake Oil anymore. no matter how fresh or how aged, it always turns to pure baby powder, which i hate.

this... well, i've had it for awhile and only just tonight had the nerve to try it...

this is Snake Oil without the awful plastic and play-doh and baby powder. well, there's still a little of the baby powder-y-ness, but i don't get overwhelmed by it.

this is really pretty, and i can see how'd it make the perfect "signature scent" for some, but i don't love it as much as some people do... so i'll probably let this go to a better home.

also, to note: i accidentally got a little of this oil on a small cut and BOY DOES IT STING.

itches, really. (i'd think i'm having a reaction, but it is only on the cut, and my skin rarely reacts to anything)

edited to add: PLEASE don't message me and offer to buy this from me. if it isn't listed or mentioned in my swap/sale threads, then it isn't up for grabs.

i've gotten two people asking to buy it in the last 10 hours, and that's not cool.

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

Ohhh gorgeous. Snake Oil that doesn't go all powdery. I want to pour this over ice cream and eat it (but I won't!).

Now I'm going to go cry about it being an LE.

I’ve had my Snake Charmer for over a year now…oop, I think it’s time to review!

Snake Charmer to me is one of Beth’s most incredible pieces of fragrant art. It is blended beautifully, seamlessly. It makes my mouth water. In the bottle, it’s divine, and on, even more so.

Though distinct from each other, I agree, Charmer is definitely in the same realm as Snake Oil and Mme. Moriarty, but much closer to Snake Oil on me. Snake Oil though is much more incensey, spicier and sugarier. In Mme. Moriarty, the patchouli leaf really pokes out making it spicier and a tad herbal. I love them both, but Snake Charmer is stunning on me right off the bat, deliciously smooth straight away.

Charmer is sweet, silky and mesmerising. It’s soft, but still has amazing sillage and lasting power. It’s the most exquisitely different vanilla musk, and I think it’s the Arabian Musk which does it along with the vanilla mixed with ambrette and benzoin which turns to a kind of sugared honey feel. So lush. I can also sniff a little black plum and the barest touch of coconut. It’s not like the usual Black Coconut which can go very dark and woody on my skin; in fact, I can hardly smell it at all.

As for how it’s aged, I think it has mellowed somewhat and maybe become a teeny bit sweeter.

Snake Charmer is absolutely one of my favourite BPAL blends. Sigh worthy and stunningly scrumptious. :P

*No matter how many times I check my stuff for typos, I don't find them till after I've posted!

Edited by ViolentKitten

OMG!!! I got a sniffie of this in a trade, and immediately fell head over heels in love. In the imp, it smelled amazing, but the moment I put it on, I was done for. Now, I HAVE to find more of this, which is next to impossible.

Wet, this scent was an amazing spicy vanilla. As it dried, the vanilla toned down just a touch, and the spices seemed to develop, as well as a bit of the amber and plum... but still blended incredibly... like I could visualize each note intertwined with the other, like a rope of ivy. The scent just got better every time I sniffed my wrists, which I did for hours. I was actually amazed with the staying power of this, and how the scent kept evolving, but not changing into anything different. My absolute favourite, by far!

I too am in love! This is everthing I thought Snake Oil would be...but better!

As others have mentioned...if you've tried Snake Oil and 1) you get powder and/or 2) you get play doh...then try this. I've had the same problems with Snake oil and *never* yet had the problem with Snake Charmer.

I get a very warm & smooth spicy, sexy, sweet smell with a touch of musk when I first put it on.

Vanilla tends to amp on me big time, but there was *just* enough to balance the spice & musk but not so much that my skin went to town with it. I never really smelled something I could define as "coconut", but I'm sure it's in the background somewhere helping to give it a sweetness.

It seems to have a great staying power, and I think it's light enough to wear daily, but still gives a touch of sexy goodness at the same time.

I can't believe I've never reviewed this or Smut - they're my two absolute favorite BPAL blends! In honor of receiving another bottle of it this afternoon, I'll try to write something.

But what can I say that hasn't already been said? Nothing, most likely. But just in case someone hasn't tried it, is considering the pawn of their eldest child for it, and has similar skin chemistry to mine, I'll put in my $.02 anyhow. :D

Snake Charmer is a juicier, slightly darker Snake Oil, with the musk of Smut and the coconut of Blood Pearl. It's sexy as whoa, but in a softer, more sibilant way, just like the description promises. (I've edited this review to reflect how the scent has changed as it has aged, and because since writing it I've come to realize that my first imp of Snake Oil was a weird batch or something, and now love the real thing.)

If you love red musk, you will love SC, even though it includes black musk. My nose apparently can't tell the difference between the two! It's spicy and sweet and delicious beyond belief! My skin amps the coconut, both wet and in the drydown, which only makes it more luscious I think! It's got the perfect throw - not too strong, not too close to the skin. And it lasts and lasts.

Snake Charmer is a masterpiece. :P

Edited by Mattie

This wasn't as spicy or vanilla-y as I thought it would be. It definitely doesn't smell the way I thought it would. But it IS an awesome scent.

It goes on a lot more perfumey than I expected, but not in a bad way. I do get a hint of spice behind the musk. Once it's dry the vanilla comes out a bit more. The notes do intertwine as others have said, and this scent does not morph but yet stays a gentle, pretty, beautiful scent. I agree that it's a softer, less oriental version of Smut. It doesn't smell much like Snake Oil to my nose, but then, snake oil doesn't smell even the littlest bit like vanilla to me and everyone says they get vanilla from it *shrug*

all in all this is a beautiful scent. Definitely in my top 10.

ETA: Now that I've been wearing it for almost a day straight, I can safely say this is the BEST SCENT EVER. It's probably my favorite or my second favorite bpal. It really grows on you. It lasts and lasts, but yet is never strong. It's just so...glorious and divine. It smells so sweet and soft and slightly musky. The dry down is really amazing. It's just a wonderful blend all around.

Edited by talula_fairie

I was lucky enough to snag a bottle of this on ebay. Normally I'd be leery of spending that kind of money on something I'd never even tried, but the reviews convinced me it was a worthwhile purchase!

Oh how glad I am that I'm an impulse buyer. This is GORGEOUS.

In the bottle, it's super thick and viscous, clinging to the sides. It reminds me of old snake oil, heady with tons of vanilla and spice. There's none of the sweetness I was expecting from the plum.

On my skin, the sweet plum emerges and just ties everything together into the most amazingly beautiful scent. It's sensual, rich, and enticing. I love it!

fan fucking tastic. but i agree with all the snake oil comments, and i think that with clever layering, you could probably recreate this instead of paying through the nose for it.

With all the Snake Oil comments as a comparision, I sniffed these 2 side by side and tried to figure out what I would layer with Snake Oil to get this effect. Maybe something sugared or a softer vanilla? Snake Oil has a more 'stout' presence and somewhat of a sharp opening as opposed to Snake Charmer.

My personal Snake charmer review:

In the bottle: amber, vanilla, a hint of plum....this is dark, and sexy - but this vanilla adds a little bit of sweetness to it...

On my skin: vanilla is being smothered by delicious spices and coconut is peeping out and making itself known. A hint of smoke, but not pungent is is the background, too. this scent evolves every second as it starts to dry down. Something kind of smokey actually comes out just a LITTLE - but the sweeter notes keep it in check...

Dry on skin: this stays close to the skin, remains complex and extremely sensual. Not too sweet, not too smokey but a perfect balance!! :P

In the bottle: Like when you light a stick of incense in a closed room. Plus vanilla.

Wet: On me, it's predominantly sweet and spicy vanilla and incense fighting for dominancy. I suppose the amber is in there, adding a slightly creamy note to it.

Drydown: It really becomes more complex and spicy. The incense dies down somewhat, and the scent balances out. Incense scents usually dominate on my skin, and here it patiently shares the spotlight. It's a lovely and comforting, yet still sexy, scent.

My father, who usually only says, "Oh. Floral." when he smells my wrist, said, "That's really good," and asked what was in it. When I listed off the ingredients, he said, "huh, there's nothing perfume-y in there, but it smells very good!" I think Daddy is learning the point of the perfume addiction.

Incidentally, while everyone seems to compare it to Snake Oil, I must say that Snake Oil does not work at all on my skin, while Snake Charmer does. Of course, it's the more expensive one that works.

This is a very full scent, ripe and almost juicy. Oh! I thought it had currant, then I just read the notes again. I guess I'm smelling a lot of the plum and coconut, musk and spices very much like Snake Oil, and vanilla which is reminiscent of both Snake Oil and Eat Me. It's not buttery like Eat Me, though. Just very fruity and spicy. It's a lovely scent! I don't know that I would wear this often*, but I do want to have it around just for when the mood strikes. It's very potent and I feel like I could dump the whole imp into a bottle, dilute it 1:1 with jojoba oil, and it would still be strong. I might do some experimenting. Much later on, the resins become noticeable as the other notes fade. I do wish the resins were stronger from the beginning, but really it's such a nice scent I will happily accept is as it is.

*edit...I've changed my mind...I thought at first this was just too rich and fruity for me to wear in public. Then I wore it to lunch yesterday, and just loved it....I'll be hunting down a whole 5ml at some point, I think.

Edited by Shollin

Oh no!

In the bottle:Reallly dark and perfumey.

Wet:Amber.Overwhelmingly so.Kinda makes me feel sick.

Dry:It's just screams "perfume!" on me.I don't smell any vanilla at all,which I thought would be the best part of this.

I was so sure this was going to be one of my favorite blends so I bought two bottles!Off they go to the swaps/sales pile.

IN THE IMP: I sniffed the imp wand and thought "Yep... definately Snake Oil family." With a sense of dread I realised that even though I hadn't smelled Snake Oil in months this was almost exactly the scent.

WET: More complex; I'm getting more incense than I remember there being in Snake Oil, and there's a smoky/powdery feel that makes it likeable. Snake Oil was almost straight-up vanilla on me, so *anything* more complex is good news.

DRY: mmkay, nicer. There's plum, but not too much, making it sweet; the vanilla is behaving, mostly. Spicy, rather sweeter than I like...

DRY AFTER A BIT: My roommate says it smells like baby powder. That would be the amber. It smells very close to Snake Oil on me, but more complex -- vanilla is stomping on the notes a little less, and it has a delightful smokiness to it. It is ultimately elegant baby powder. Fortunately I've come to like the smell of baby powder, so I'm not sorry I have this. I don't feel the need to forfeit my Starbucks budget for more, though.

(how did I end up with 8mL of this unsniffed? I think I just kept forgetting I'd already bought decants of it...)

ETA: a note... this is not light. Leastwise, not on me. apply with caution.

Edited by myoubi

Thanks to kmasden for the decant.

Vial: Sexy spicy vanilla musk.

Skin: I get the Snake Oil comparison immediately because I sense that same sweet powderyness, but this doesn't decay on me. Instead the musk really intensifies the spice elements.

Drydown: This continues to be powdery without going Play-Doh on me, thank the Pantheon! I wish I could discern the plum (as I've loved that note in other blends), but I think the amber-vanilla mix is pretty much dominating my chemistry. It's not as "heavy" as I thought it would be, but I imagine this is how SO was supposed to smell on me, so I'm enjoying it, in that I don't think I've ever really experienced amber like this.

Edited by luna65

This is a creamy vanilla scent on me, rounded out by the amber and musk; it's an oddly comforting scent.

No hint of any of the other notes when it's wet, but once it was dry I found myself wondering where that delicious spicy smell was coming from. The vanilla still dominates, but with these tantalizing hints of spices. And it lasted for hours and hours.

Snake Charmer appears to be quite similar to Snake Oil on me, to start with. The vanilla/incense base is strong, but as it dries, Snake Charmer has a drier, more sophisticated presence. I can detect the coconut, which makes me happy. Is it worth paying the $$ to get a bottle of this if it's so similar to Snake Oil? I'm still deciding!

Damn, this is every bit as delicious as I was hoping it would smell. :D

I get a miraculous!amber that doesn't go powdery, a wee smidgen of vanilla, spices and a pretty strong almondy note, surprisingly. It will never replace Storyville as my ultimate sexy scent, but comes pretty close all the same. I'm so lucky to have found a partial bottle of this, as well as an imp! Thank you, Dandelion and mandragora, you lovely ladies! :P

ETA The Full Drydown: I get a lot more plum now, the spices are still prominent, and the almond note that I wasn't too thrilled about has disappeared, thankfully!

Edited by little_galaxie

I was really expecting to love this one, and there was a lot in it that I did. The musk, amber, and vanilla came out on this and were incredibly strong; the coconut and spices hung back a bit but added nicely. This oil would definitely work on a guy; I felt almost a bit butch wearing it. Unfortunately, there was something in this blend that just kept bothering me - my nose tickled when I sniffed my wrist too close, and it just smelled off. I think for now I'll keep the imp and reapply more lightly next time to see if that off note stays in the background.