Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blood*rose*flowers

Snake Charmer

Sensual, sibilant, sexual and hypnotic: Arabian musk and exotic spices slinking through Egyptian amber, enticing vanilla, and a serpentine blend of black plum, labdanum, ambrette, benzoin and black coconut.

In the vial: Rich sugars, vanilla for certain. Something vaguely boozy and a hint of spice.

Wet: The vanilla amps up right away into an almost caramel scent. The spice, whatever it is, is still background material. As it warms up, it literally warms. It smells warm, a sensation of heat without burning, if that makes sense. It wafts pretty powerfully, but I really don't mind. I keep sniffing myself anyway.

Dry: Oh, this is good. I understand the comparisons between Snake Oil and Snake Charmer now. Honestly, I can't say which I like more. Guess I'll need to do more tests. Poor me. :P

This is like Snake Oil, only better.

In the bottle: Not nearly as sweet and strong vanilla as snake oil. It's definitely both of those things but much more incensy and spicy. Kind of spicy in the way Morocco is without being too strong.

Wearing: Very similar to how it is in the bottle but the scent blooms quite a bit. It's stronger and a bit sweeter, with a little bit of the musky "skin scent" going on. This is very sexy, and one of the few vanilla blends I like. The vanilla is so well blended with the spice and soft incense that it takes on a whole new quality. This is how I wished Snake Oil would be.

When I first got Snake Charmer in August, I liked it but I thought “why do I need this? It’s a lot like Snake Oil which is general catalog…” There were differences to my nose, Snake Charmer being a bit fruitier and sweeter with the plum and coconut (which I can barely detect). And as with Snake Oil, it’s very strong. So I diluted it with some Jojoba into a 2ml bottle, and went on wearing other things for a while.

So today I put some on, after washing with B&BW Warm Vanilla Sugar body wash that I got for Xmas. They complement each other perfectly. And I think the aging has helped the spices and deeper aspects of the scent to come out. Snake Charmer is a sweet, slightly-spicy vanilla-sugary scent with a bit of the same type of patchouli (and perhaps a bitty bit of the spice) that I get with the drydown of Samhain. Nevertheless, it’s too sweet for me most days. But it’s so wonderful when I’m in the mood for sweet. I think if I wore a restrained amount of this and sat in a room with a dry woody incense burning for about an hour, I would come out smelling nothing short of divine.

Snake Charmer ITB: rich, like vanilla syrup.

On: a resiny smell comes to the fore, but I still mostly get vanilla from this.

Dry: vanilla with a hint of sassafras - like vanilla root beer. I can see why this is so popular! Ultimately, patchouli makes its presence felt, and not in a good way on me. :P I'll keep the imp, but fortunately don't feel a burning need to track down a bottle.

at first i couldn't tell if i liked this or not

now i love it

and won't rest until i have a bottle. a BIG bottle.

i believe i like it a lot better than snake oil, which i wasn't so sure about at first, either

now, while i am stull not sure i even like the oil, just think it may not work on me... i might like it more than i thought in the beginning... but it's the charmer that charmed me, for sure

this is warmer and sweeter, spicier and less baby powdery on me

i crave it's scent

of course i like the LE more

go figure

all my favs so far are LE

In the bottle, it's sweet musk and vanilla with lots of resinous overtones – the ambrette and benzoin, maybe.

On, oh my God. It's just a warm golden smell that has no discernible notes. The blend is very unified and smooth. Sheer delight. I can smell the coconut and the vanilla, but they aren't dominant, they're only influencing the overall tone; it's not foody in the slightest. The amber and resins are simply divine. This is a very close, warm smell, a body smell that is not overtly sexy to me, but rather sensual. At the same time, there's something in this that is just a hair high-pitched for me that gives it a sharpness like a snake's tooth.

Beautiful, with just a little bit of bite.

In the bottle, the leather note is very strong, with a dark spicy vanilla and maybe a little coconut. On my skin, it becomes very warm and loses the leather altogether. What's left behind is delicious, dark spices and rich, golden vanilla. This is a work of genius and in my opinion, is one of Beth's greatest creations. I'd buy gallons of it if I could!

Snake Charmer

in bottle: spicy musk and amber

wet: coconut, musk and amber

dry: yummy blend of vanilla, coconut, spices, and amber

verdict: :P

Yep - this one was what I was hoping for, Snake Oil, but better (with coconut). The coconut note was what convinced me to take a gamble on this one, and it doesn't dissapoint. Snake Oil can go kinda funny on me, playdoh or something. Snake Charmer doesn't have this problem, thankfully.

I get the same vanilla and spices, with just a tiny bit of coconut. After I've been wearing it for a while (like, say, 6 hours), it ends up calming down to amber and vanilla and a bit of musk. I don't need very much of it at one time, so I imagine my bottle is going to last forever.

Trying a sniffie so I can see if I need to try for a bottle when CN makes its brief re-appearance, or I should just order more Snake Oil. I'm not mad for coconut, so if it is indeed Snake Oil + coconut I'll be fine with the classic sexy goodness of S.O.

Same color in the vial--that rich mahogany. On me: mmm, it's like an BPAL-oil party orgy! The rich, sweet vanilla is like Dragon's Milk, there's some sexy Smut-like musk, and it is indeed reminiscent of Snake Oil overall, but maybe a little more feminine (S.O. is gender-neutral). This is really good stuff right here. I love how it's yummy but not traditionally foody, and more complex and sexy than the average candy scent but still quite sweet. My skin really amps the vanilla. The coconut is not really an issue--maybe just a touch of coconut cream. This is exactly my sort of scent. Well, dammit, guess I'll have to try for a bottle! :P

Initially, I really didn't like this. It smelt harsh, abrasive, spicy and dirty (in the bad way!), but as my skin warmed it up the Egyptian amber made an appearance, and the whole scent mellowed and deepened.

On the drydown this smells like a deeper, more complex and musky Snake Oil; very sensual and dark, like twisted love or fanatical devotion. This also has fantastic throw and staying power.

I'm undecided so far and need to test it further. I love the drydown but I'm not sure about the initial smell.

In Bottle: Musk and spices

On Skin: I realized I never reviewed the real Snake Charmer. When I got my first bottle last summer it was actually Hall of Mirrors labeled as Snake Charmer. The lab sent me a new bottle of the real scent and I never reviewed it. So here we go. First off, it is pure Snake Oil on me. That beautiful deep musky spicy resinous scent. I don’t get the plum or coconut at all. I smell the resiny ambrette, dark Arabian musk and sweet vanilla and benzoin right off. A beautiful combination. The labdanum adds a darker note, deep and sultry and the Egyptian amber adds to that… and to finish it off the sexy spices pull it all together. This smells almost identical to the aged Snake Oil I have so I’m not sure if I need to order any more since at least Snake Oil is a catalog scent and I can get it any time. After about 20 minutes, the plum comes out a bit. That is the only real difference I can smell in Snake Charmer, the fruity note. Snake Charmer also fades a lot quicker than Snake Oil. All in all, a very seductive and sensual scent. I’d love this on myself as well as my husband.

In the bottle: Warm and spicy. Kind of like a less in-your-face Baghdad.

On me: This was utterly delightful for the first thirty seconds. Then the coconut made an appearance. I'm not a big fan of coconut, but this isn't terrible. At least I can still smell the amber and spices.

Then the vanilla beat all the warm, spicy notes into submission. My skin amps vanilla like nobody's business, and this scent is no exception. 5 minutes later, all that's left is the weird vanilla note that lingers for hours and won't wash off.

i knew i'd love snake charmer, just KNEW it. and i do! it's warm, spicy and a bit floral. it reminds me a lot of some other bpals ive tried, but can't remember which right now. this is definitely going on my top 10! i just ordered a bottle from the second wave of carnival noir scents. :P

Ok, so I've had my bottle for a little under a year, since last summer's carnival rolled into town.

When I first got the oil, I have to honestly admit I was underwhelmed. Where was all of this melty vanilla-y goodness that everyone else seemed to be sniffing? Ah well, I thought - I'll hold onto one bottle, gift the other to my sister (on whom it smelled DIVINE), and put it away for a while.

Cut to today.

Holy crap. All I have to say is: if at first it doesn't work well on you, age those bottles, folks. Because several months in a cool dark place and Snake Charmer is now the incredible, spicy-vanilla, only-a-wee-bit-coconutty, was-that-a-hint-of-plum? gorgeousness that I hoped it would be initially.

Lovely. :P

Thank you again, BPAL.

Yum. A lot like Snake Oil, but almost...carbonated? Thick, even sticky. I almost feel like I'm supposed to take a tablespoon of this to make everything better! Rich and spicy. :P

a dear forumite sent me a smidgen of Snake Charmer (and some other interesting LE's) to try in time to order more if I liked...but, oh sorrow, it was a frantic time in my life.

(*sorrowful sighs of regret resound*)

It is such a luxurious, deep fragrance--vanilla, musk, fruit, spice, I haven't a clue what else, but it makes me think of cushions covered in soft silk, and wafting breezes, and cool cups of something exotic and sweet and crushed ice infused...

the fragrance of sweet and absolute surrender (without surrendering power).

Really nice throw, and long lasting. I guard my remaining droplets with zealous care.

Snake Charmer

In the bottle: musk and spices.

On me: At first, the same scent as in the bottle. Then I begin to get a medicinal, aromatic effect. But then I realize that

this is more of a resinous outdoors kind of scent.

The first couple of hours it swirls in a sinuous dance of fresh woodsy green and spicy musk. Put a bit on my nape and tonite I am the snake charmer!

However, after three hours the effect has faded. I think I will let this one age and try it again later.

Edited by cybra111

2006 Version

I was so pleased when Snake Charmer came back, since it is a huge forum favorite.

It smells a bit like root beer in the bottle, and major musk-eh on my skin. Snake Charmer also lasts a long time on me, but goes through a burned-plastic stage.

I tried it again this morning, after using lotion. This was a much better experience. The musk is less pronounced and there are hints of saffron and wood.

'twill be interesting to see how this one ages.

Edited to add: aging did improve it. now it smells more like aged SO, but less salty less vanilla and more resin-spicy.

Edited by themerrybaker

hi, i'm a giant idiot.

so, when the carnival first came to town, i was still under the impression that i did't like vanilla or musk. so, no SC for me that first time round.

then i got into Snake Oil and Smut and found i loved those scents. and when the Carnival came back, i ordered one -- ONE -- Snake Charmer, because usually plum stuff goes bad on me.

but Snake Charmer is more resinous on my skin than Snake Oil, with a slow fade into pure vanilla and dark musks as time passes.

and i have only one bottle! :P

well, i'm glad i have the one bottle!

n.

who's vowing to never make this mistake again.

Based on the rave reviews, I really hoped that Snake Charmer would work on me. It has several notes that I love, and the remaining notes aren't bad on my skin. Unfortunately, my skin seems to suck all of the scent out of the blend, so I'm left with a sort of odd absence of smell on my skin where Snake Charmer is applied. After dry-down I smell faintly of plum with a touch of amber, but it doesn't feel me. Ah well. Off to the swaps for this one.

I'm discovering that I shouldn't even bother with 'forum favorites' like Dorian, O and Snake Oil, because my skin is determined that I shall never, ever be one of the cool kids. Snake Charmer is no exception.

I mean, Snake Charmer sounded absolutely gorgeous in the description, and I was all set to order it even before I knew that everyone else was nuts for it. I got my bottle and it was the first thing I tried...and also the first thing I ever swapped away, less than three days after getting it.

It hit my skin, and I immediately smelled like an unwashed hippie walking past the cheap incense pagoda in my local mall. All I got was body odor (and not the good kind!), heavy generic incense, and a hint of overripe plums. I tried it again, with similar results, keeping it on for a long time for both experiments - even though I make it a rule that anything where I find myself being very careful to hold my wrist away from my face and breathe through my mouth is an automatic swap. After a few hours, it mellows out to a nice vanilla-spice...but those hours of holding my breath and wincing at my own perfume aren't worth it.

Off to swaps she went, to someone who will love the SnakeLady better, and I got myself something I like much more.

Oh, this is nice! Sweet without being foody. Incensy without being all head shop. I wouldn't have thought this would work on me at all. Snake Charmer is soft and sweet and warm.

This is like aged Snake Oil, with the incense and viscous vanilla, but a lot more resinous. I love aged Snake Oil, and I thought I liked this, too. At first sniff, it's so rich and deep and I just love it. However, the resin makes it too rich and it seems too overwhelming for me. It's a great perfume, but it's just too...dense.

Oh. My.

THIS is what I hoped Snake Oil would be like on me! Delicious, warm, sweet, and dark. I can smell the vanilla, with the amber and musk and spices, and the plum and coconut give it JUST the right amount of sweetness.

I've died and gone to Nirvana.