Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blood*rose*flowers

Snake Charmer

Sensual, sibilant, sexual and hypnotic: Arabian musk and exotic spices slinking through Egyptian amber, enticing vanilla, and a serpentine blend of black plum, labdanum, ambrette, benzoin and black coconut.

Reviewing the Resurrected version. 

In the bottle: Musks and spices. A hint of leather. But it's not sharp, so there must be something sweetening it (this is usually how I perceive vanilla in a blend with multiple notes). 

On my skin:

Immediately, it's delicious, sumptuous, and slinky. For a moment, I have no desire to even pick out the notes. 

Once this phase subsides, the first discernable note is a lovely soft leather. (I think labdanum, maybe?). The Lab's usual leather note is almost always too harsh on me, so this is a lovely surprise. Shortly after, it's warmed and sweetened by the coconut and vanilla. Following that, spices -- evocative of the spice in Scherezade and Morocco -- become detectable. 

It settles on something sweeter and slinkier than Snake Oil -- while still being reminiscent of Snake Oil -- and still having a lovely soft leather grounding note. 

On me, throw and wear length are just shy of moderate. 

(Resurrected version.)

Wet: Oooof, my eyes roll back into my head when I smell this. It's similar to Snake Oil, but maybe a bit sweeter. The musk, amber, spices, and vanilla are all there, but it's the plum that's really making the blend "wow" for me. (The coconut is there too, but I have to really seek it out to find it.)

Dry: The coconut is much stronger now, and overall the blend seems a bit.. darker. Less sweeter than the wet stage as well. 

If I had to put this against Snake Oil, I would choose Snake Oil. That being said, this is different enough to have both in my collection, and I love wearing them both. ;) 

Res Version

Well well well, this one here is really something special. I get absolutely zero of the plum. But instead get a more coconutty and slightly warmer Snake Oil. The opiod twang that usually accompanies (for the briefest of times) regular Snake Oil (even that of a timely age) is completely absent here. I don’t get the same amp on this as I do from reg S.O, but it’s still one I need at least one backup of. Sublime. If S.O is a little too bold for you, S.C might fit your needs. 

I have both the original and resurrected version. Both are wonderful. The original is a bit deeper, muskier, and even sweeter in tone. Not a sugary kind of sweetness, but sweetness from the musky spices that this blend has quite a lot of. Both versions are absolutely fantastic.

I don't get any coconut at all from either year, but I do get a lot of (now aged) Snake Oil, amber, musk, spices, and plum. This is absolutely delightful. One of my favorite orientals by the lab. It's spicy but in a vanilled (from the Snake Oil), musky, dark kind of way. It isn't quite as vegetal as regular Snake Oil. I'm someone who finds regular Snake Oil to be very comforting and warm, like being wrapped up in a warm blanket. Snake Charmer is that with the comfort amped up higher than I thought possible.

If you love cozy, spicy oriental blends, Snake Oil blends, and the lab's plum note, you will love this. I'm glad I have a bottle of each. This is amongst my top favorite BPALs.

Was able to snatch a bottle of resurrected, and it's always a scent that intrigued me, though i never thought i'd actually ever find a bottle of it. That said, just like the other review i just did, this bottle just got in, and i can tell it needs some settling. And if that means that this may get a bit stronger, o LORDY does that make me a happy girl!!!

Honestly, i haven't sniffed or tried snake oil in years (and mean to in the future), but this is what i had hoped from that. It's complex in it's notes and they all blend together harmoneously. It's sweet, spicy, sticky... sexy... A keeper! :smilenod: