Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A snarling, feral scent, ever-so-slightly slightly deranged: hot leather, opoponax, cedar, pine needle, mosses, dry grass, patchouli and cinnamon bark.

Wet - deliciously dark and spicy! Whoever said that Geek was going to be the surprise hit of Carnavale Noir, I love you! I didn't even have this on my want list, but you made me go back and reevaulate it. I am primarily getting patchouili and cinnamon bark, and want to rub this all over myself and purr. Umm, yeah, let's see what happens as it dries.

Dry - spicy leather laying on some pine needles. Ooh and just a touch of cedar too. Cedar usually amps on my skin, and I can barely smell it here. I love when cedar behaves itself. I can't believe how incredible this smells...it's definitely going in my top ten. If you like Sin, you'll LOVE this.

ETA - the bad news...this fades really quickly on me.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5. Edited by Shollin

This is awesome. Spicy pine, but not artificial Christmas tree - more like standing downwind from some pine trees on a cold, clear night. Then cedar, but not hamster cage cedar - more like an old cedar apothecary cabinet that still smells a little like opium or something. Kind of musky too? It's not traditionally masculine, but I can imagine a man's chemistry making this turn incredibly sexy and manly.

This sounds weird, but I think it smells the way a really sexy man's sheets would smell after he gets out of bed.

Wow, I am amazed at the two reviews thus far. I definately agree on some points, but find this to be an amazing scent for entirely different reasons <grin>

First - feral, yes, very. Not in a horrid way mind you, though I fear it may put people off. I think it blends so well with the leather that you can't tell if you are smelling cats ass (meaning a civet type scent) or leather and whatever is stuck in your head will be what it becomes for you.

The cedar blends very well, it gets slightly more cedary as it dries, almost couldn't detect it at first. It is definately that old apothecary cabinet someone mentioned, not hamster, not old closet...it is pleasant and does not amp on me as cedar is known to do.

The cinnamon...just a touch, just a sweetness with a teensy touch of cinnamon, almost not spicy, just part of this animalistic, spicy, teethbared scent.

Did you read the Perfume Murderer? There's a man in the book that has no smell of his own...when you read the description of this horrid little man, you think of his sweat and hairy, short somewhat deformed body, you imagine his yellow teeth and scary smile....he's not necessarily a bad man at that point mind you, yet he is a very, very primitive man that never gets noticed. He wants to smell like people. He wants to emit the caphony of smells from sweaty and dirty to showered to food dribbling down the chin to perverted thoughts and angelic wishes to sex...that is what Geek smells like to me.

I don't know if it will be a hit, but it is worth smelling on your skin and examining over the course of an hour or two.

I thought that I would like this scent by the description, and I am happy to say in this case it was dead on for me.

In the bottle: Wood scents always kind of smell a bit like a wet dog, being a fan of wood scents, I know that the "true" nature of the scent does come out until it touches the skin.

On Me (wet) I smell cedar and patchouli only at first, very smoky, a slight tobacco sort of note.

On Me Dry: Once the cedar starts to fade, I am able to pick up the other notes, some pine, though no where near as much as say, Nocnitsa. The mosses sweeten the overall smell. I can only pick up the cinnamon if I am really trying.

After about an hour, I am getting a rather masculine underrtone- a bit like Villian without the lavender.

The leather works really well with the rest in combo. This smell is like meeting a lover in the woods somewhere, some warm and animalic notes, some cooler and naturey notes. Not quite what one expects from a geek, unless the geek is the lover...

I am happy I took a chance on this one. This can be seen as a masculine scent, but I like its wood and spice notes (as I do for all wood and spice combos, nearly) Its after the cedar settles it subtle enough to trick the mind into thinking that one just really smells good and works outdoors rather than someone obviously wearing perfume.

Mmmmm....Geek! I agree with pretty much everything said above, though my chemistry may be amping the grass and moss a bit. Amazingly, I'm not getting any cedar which will often ruin a scent for me. I'm a bit worried that this may turn out to be too masculine for me in the end, but I definitely plan on holding on to it until fall, because it's definitely not a scent meant for this 90+ degree weather.

I am COMPLETELY in love with this scent. I bought this for my husband because he's a geek and geeks are hot (even though I know this scent was named after the original term), but I think that I am way more in love with this than he is.

I love woodsy and spicy scents, and this hits the mark dead on. Oh my god. Wet it smells like a less evergreen-y Nocnitsa or a non-sweaty Hexennacht, but once it hits my skin the spices really come out. It certainly smells woodsy, resiny, and with a hint of cinnamon - almost like entering a dusty, creepy beachside carnival tent with a dark stranger who is burning incense.

This so so dark, rich, spicy, earthy, and smoky. It's everything I love all rolled into one. Thank you!

(the label is fabulous, too!)

a masculine scent, but not bad on me either. pine and cinnamon dominate, with a hint of patchouli. i don’t smell any cedar. as it dries, the leather comes out. spicy, warm, and sort of dark -- this will be a great cold weather scent. it makes me imagine spending christmas in a log cabin deep in the woods. my man has just come in from chopping wood and has pine needles in his hair, and smells all warm and musky from exertion. spices are simmering away and we curl up in a leather recliner in front of the fire. that's a pretty good mental image, so this is a keeper.

This is awesome!

In the bottle: Cedar, cinnamon, and some things I can't identify

On me : Cedar, cinnamon, menthol, resin, and pine. It smells invigorating without smelling medicial or cleanser-like. I really like this. The leather comes out to play in the dry down. In time, the notes meld into a very soft woodsy smell with leather undertones.

It might be too masculine for some. I like masculine scents though. Definately a good holiday scent.

I know some of the other CNs are getting lots of raves right now - but don't over look this - it's great.

First Impression: Leather.

Second Impression: Leather is one of the notes that can ruin a scent for me and it just did it again. It overpowers all the other notes until the several hours later, when I can just barely smell all the other goodness playing together.

Final Analysis: I should have known better, but I took a chance.

I had nearly talked myself out of this one, after it made my list of final CN scents. I'm poor! But I couldn't resist getting a decant... and holy crap now I have to buy it dammit dammit DAMMIT.

Ahem. That is to say!

Bottle: Rich, woody cinnamon. Dry grass baking in the heat.

Wet: Cedar informs the cinnamon. The grass was apparently growing close to a pine forest, and it carries the scent. This is a beautiful dead-grass end-of-summer carnival -- ducking from the heat into the cool tent, relieved and frightened at the exotic contents.

Dry: Patchouli, cedar, something dark and a little sweet -- the end of the dead grass, maybe, or opoponax. Whatever that is. To google I go!

edit: Great Teacher Google says opoponax is bitter and acrid, so likely it's the grass I'm smelling.

/ili

Edited by iliadawry

Geek is fantastic. It's so good that I'm going to throw out my traditional reviewing format and make this really simple. Geek is a gorgeous leather scent. Underneath that note I can smell some definite woodiness, some resin, lots of smoke, and a teensy bit of green...but mostly leather. My sister described it as smelling like a fireplace, and it really does. It's kind of reminiscent of Hellfire without the musk and tobacco. Absolutely wonderful blend, I'm not disappointed in the least.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Woodsy cinnamon.

In the imp/bottle: Cold, needle-sharp pine, grass, and very warm cinnamon! A very confusing mixture, but absolutely fantastic.

On skin, wet: Cinnamon! Foresty cinnamon, with just a touch of patchouli.

On skin, dry: The cinnamon in this is gorgeous. It dominates every other note, but does so without crushing them into oblivion. The leather and cedar make brief appearances an hour after testing, beneath the blanket of cinnamon and pine.

Conclusion: I definitely need a bottle of this. It is, as sheepzeit mentioned, a rich, spicy, smoky, earthy scent, and is something I am in love with.

ETA: Unfortunately, this scent just doesn't last on me; it's gone-gone-gone in less than an hour. I'm not sure whether or not I like it enough to buy as much as I'd need to make it last a reasonable amount of time. :\

Edited by Aredhel

Preconceived notions:

Geek is the Carnaval Noir scent I was most anticipating. Everything in here is just screaming my name. I can easily see this being an instant obsession for me. :D

First sniff:

Sexy! I smell leather and pine and cedar and cinnamon and grass...and, hell, everything that's listed in the description. It's dark and masculine and dangerous smelling and sexy as hell. I tend to love masculine scents, so this is right up my alley.

Geek reminds me of the deep woods...maybe of a sexy, rugged man in the deep woods. It's not sharply woodsy the way some pine scents are and it's not terribly subdued, either. It's dangerous and dark and feral smelling while still being wearable.

Wet on skin:

Oh, that's good...as soon as Geek hits my skin, the woodsy notes and cinnamon amp up. Where before it was more of a hot skin and deep woods kind of scent, now it's more like woods and cinnamon and...danger, somehow. This is definitely my kind of scent. :D

Dry down:

Cinnamony wood and pine needles with just a hint of leather and patchouli. Before, the cinnamon and woods and pine and grass were all present but jumbled and lying on top of one another but now all the notes have mixed into one sexy scent that I can't pick out the components of. Geek is slightly spicy, woodsy, dark, green and earthy all at the same time. :D

The bottom line:

Oh, yes, this is gorgeous. I knew I was going to love this and I was right. I'm going to have to get a few more bottles before the Carnaval pulls up its stakes, if it means selling my kidneys to do it. :P

on me, this is mostly leather, pine, and cinnamon. i catch a whiff of the other notes once in a while. overall, this is nice, but not exactly me.

a review of Geek

Vial ~ Upon first initial sniff, I thought it was rather metallic smelling,

wondering if maybe my bottle had been mixed up. But now after trying it

again, I am getting cinnamon and patchouli.

Wet ~ Mmm, cinnamon, patchouli, cedar and pine. So far not picking up the

leather, but I am sure that will come out. If the scent were to remain as

it is right now, I would be in heaven.

Drying ~ Now I am geting more cedar and pine, with the cinnamon in the

background.

Dry ~ Lots of cedar, very little pine and patchouli, as it dries, it fades

away.

Fade ~ Bummer that it fades so quickly, personally I blame my skin. It

seems to know that there are scents that I really like but say "no, not for

you".

Final thoughts ~ *Sob* I so wanted this to be a scent to really love, maybe

with more slathering would help. *sigh* Scale of 1 to 5, I would give it a 3.

Edited by Sistinas

I was worried about this one being too masculine, and of the cinammon taking over the blend.

However, not that I have my decant (thank you Original Wacky!) I'm confused... possibly my skin chemistry is throwing me here, but on me, Geek, which starts out spicy and woody and dry, mellows and morphs into fruity sweetness, almost citrusy, after about an hour. could it be the moss that's sweetening it? or do I have a mis-labelled imp??

If I have the right oil decant, then this is another must-have - more what I wanted Kunstkammer to be than Kunstkammer ever was... ah, leather, I love you!

Edited to add: Testing again just in case -

applied to palm of hand and forearm...

0 minutes - woody, dry, a wee bit spicy..

1 minute later - hot and spicy. something a little sharp filtering through

4 minutes later - palm of hand - hot and spicy and deranged! forearm - spicy, warm and a bit sharp

7 minutes later - palm: spicy and painfully sharp; forearm - spicy and soft, a little sweet

13 minutes later - palm - sweet and hot and spicy; forearm - warm and spicy and sweet...

24 minutes later - warm and sweet, sweet, sweet. just a little bit spicy.

obviously, this oil just likes me :D :cuddles up with her Geek: :P

Edited by Galen

Oh my god... this is another amazing CN scent for me. I am surprised. It's spicy and the cinnamon really comes out on me. The pine takes a backseat, which is nice because it prevents Geek from smelling like cleaning solution.

Geek is going to be the perfect autumn scent- dusky, smoky, herby.... I do smell the patchouli; it lends it a bit of a "rough" aroma. The wood is really strong but the underlying spicy smell rounds it out.

I can smell the ceder in this but also a nice layer of gingerbread cookie.

Wet and dry this settles onto me and remains consistent.

It doesn't seem to fade particularly quickly either, much to my relief. It's the kind of scent you must lean closer to, that draws you in with it's many layers.

:P

Feral, wild, masculine and wierdly sexy as all hell. I get a touch of leather under cinnamon and patchouli and a dry down of cedar. Biting the heads off chickens not withstanding, this one turned my head and _I_ was wearing it. I'd love to sniff test it on the men. Very earthy, but not dirty, spicey but not middle-eastern, this is just a touch exotic and a lot intriguing. Mmm nummy

in the vial: mosses, cedar, and pine

wet: cedar, cinnamon, and moss

dry:omg this is way more beautiful then i imagined, w/ the other reviews. my chemistry amps the cinnamon, it isn't a candy cinnamon, it is a cinnamon stick, raw cinnamon kind of scent, the cedar is also very prominent on me. but i usually magnify both notes so this is not unexpected. i do not get dried grasses at all, nor the patchouli there is a slight slight edge of leather, but it is mostly lurking and peeping in here and there not a take charge kind of leather, more like a comfy leather armchair that engulfs you on a lazy afternoon, as you nap.

i am gonna have one hell of a time choosing a favorite out of this bunch so far

Geek in the bottle is my favorite CN scent, an incredible mixture of pine and wood with just a hint of spice. It's dark but not oppressive, more like shadows in the forest. This is someone creeping through the woods on the edge of town, watching the carnival from afar.

On my skin, leather dominates, and I don't much like leather unless it's in the back where I can't smell it. I have to wait it out and hope that something else comes to the forefront.

In a little while, it takes on a very tobacco-y tone...kind of the sweet tobacco in Perversion, though I think my nose is being fooled by the cinnamon bark. Most of my favorite woody piney notes fade very quickly but there's a lingering dark, sweet aroma like pine needles on the forest floor.

In the bottle I could sniff this all day -- I like it a lot on my skin too but the leather puts me off a little at first. I'd say this is my second or third favorite of the seven I've tried...if there wasn't leather it would probably top my list!

I wasn't sure if I would like Geek or not...I like about half the notes and am okay with the others, but was concerned that together the combination might be overwhelming.

It is dark and woody and herbal...feral is the word that comes to mind, but in a things hiding in the bushes, not running wild through the fields sort of way. It is a really unusual scent that I am clearly having a hard time describing in any meaningful way.

I really do like this though. Not enough to order more than my imp from the wonderful Ms. Wacky's decant circle, but definitely enough to use up what I have on autumn days.

Edited by emzebel

First Impression: Evergreen needles.

Dries down to: A clean, outdoorsy scent - like spring in the pine forest.

Additional Comments: For some reason I'm not getting the patchouli, cinnamon or leather and I was hoping I would. It appears that pine amps up on my skin the way rose does, squashing all in its path. This would make a nice car air freshener scent but it's not something I would wear.

Lasted: 3-4 hours.

Rating: 2 out of 5

When first applied, I wrinkled my nose at this and was ready to wipe it off. It is all pine and moss in my face at first and then as it dries down, it softens and the patchouli comes out to play a bit. The pine is very prominent on me. The grasses and mosses blend in with the patchouli in the background. There is something in here that makes this soften as it wears and lightens it up a bit. I can't detect the leather or cinnamon. I was hoping for more cinnamon (as usual), but I like this a lot anyway.

Edited by lorajc

In the bottle: pine and patchouli, with a hint of cinnamon

On: at first, this is a mish-mash of scents all struggling for dominance... it's like they're playing "king of the mountain" on my wrist. The winner? Leather. And I couldn't even smell it in the bottle! I get a little bit of pine and spice, but it's mainly all about the leather - which is fine by me.

Geek is a bit more masculine than I'd like for everyday wear, but I definitely like it, and can see layering it with other scents, to give them a powerful, leathery edge.

Wow. Not what I expected, yet so perfect! It's cologne and sweat and leather. I love it! I'd probably put a lot of people off, but it is perfect and amazing. It's not something I'm normally attracted to, but Geek is really great. It's strange and dare I say sexy? It must be the leather. :P