Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Spices of the Orient mingle with crystalline musk, midnight flowers and cereus, jasmine, primrose and vesper iris.

Oh no, am I really the first reviewer?

At first, the jasmine is overwhelming on me. I ordered this before I knew that jasmine almost always takes over on my skin. It smells rather soapy to me in Zoyra. Once it dries, however, the jasmine calms down. Then I can smell the iris, which is cool, deep, and elegant.

The musk and the spices are subtle, but add weight. They blend very well with the floral elements.

I don't know what the other florals smell like, but this is definitely a predominantly floral blend. It seems very regal and serious to me. It has the same sort of feel as Darkness or Morgause.

Night-blooming flowers tend not to work with my chemistry, but if you can wear them and you want something utterly refined, confident, and aristocratically aloof, this could be for you.

Refined, elegant, aristocratic.. yeah, definitely

This is a spicy, oriental.. And Jasmine.

This is the sexy woman at the bar, wearing a black dress, drinking stoli straight and not looking at any one. When you try to talk to her, she just stares at you. When she does talk to you, you have no clue what she's saying, because it's in Russian.

I think I'm love :P

Another one with jasmine that I chanced it and purchased, as jasmine usually screams with my chemistry. I'm still undecided on this one. I like it, but I don't know if I like it enough to keep it. The jasmine is prominent at first, as are the other florals with the spiciness as a back drop. It does not smell musky to me at all. I was hoping for a bit more musk and spices, as I don't particularly care for jasmine and midnight flowers. This is pretty balanced and no one not really stands out. I must be smelling the cereus because there is something that my nose doesn't recognize. I'll have to test this more and will update if necessary.

In the bottle

a beautiful oriental jasmine

On

the florals are all so pretty seperately and together

30 minutes

A sit dries it gets that lotus-y, almost smokiness on me quite a bit. So now the same floral combination is underneath the smokiness.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

floral/far eastern

Summary

This a beautiful new alternative for one looking for a new good bpal floral, especially for folks who typically don't like florals much.

It's a oriental spices, soft, fresh floral. I don't know how that works but it is all the same.

Purchase again?

No. It's pretty but I like Salome better.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Zorya

In the imp: wtf? Coca Cola??? Yup, that's right. This smells like Coke!

Wet on skin: still slightly Coke like, but now I think I am getting more of the oriental spices and the sweet florals. It's quite nice, and has a fresh, fizzy quality (but that could be because of the Coke associations!)

Dry on skin: oh yes, that's more like it. Now it smells like the spicy-incense smell of a shop in my neighbourhood that sells treasures and trinkets from the Middle East and Far East, like carpets, jewellery, and so on. That's the oriental spice smell alright. There's also a sweet, light scent that must be from the flowers. This scent has a sparkling, effervescent aspect with a mysterious, darker background. I can certainly smell the jasmine and possibly the iris here, and I think the sweeter floral may be cereus, as apparently that smells a bit like vanilla, but I'm unsure of that.

After a while: still dark spices and light fizzy florals, but now I think I can also smell the musk, which is similar to the one in Nuit which gave that scent a 'night air' quality. The more I smell this, the more I like it. Zorya is Nuit's older, darker sister.

Verdict: I was highly anticipating this scent, because I love scents which have astronomical associations. Imagine my surprise to find that in the imp it smelt like Coke! This isn't to bad, as I like the smell of Coke, but it's not what I expect from a perfume! But when it dries on the skin, it changes and takes on a more appropriate personality. It has a dark, mysterious side thanks to the oriental spices, but with a light, sparkling, effervescent scent from the florals. It fits the name of 'Midnight Star' well. I'm unsure if I'll get a bottle, but I'm keeping the imp, because this is a lovely addition to my collection of nocturnal, starry scents.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Caterpiller without the pachouli/incense scents. That's what it smells like to me. Nice jasmine--one of the florals I like--but that's pretty much all I get.

And I like the Caterpiller better.....

in the bottle: musk and jasmine, but more musk then floral

wet: well hello there miss jasmine, my evil nemesis

as it dries i can detect it is not all jamine there is something darker, heavier then jasmine, something spicey and grounding, i also detect primrose i believe. so i look up cereus and this is what i find...very intresting

One of the strangest plants of the desert, the Night-bloomiing Cereus is a member of the Cactus Family that resembles nothing more than a dead bush most of the year. It is rarely seen in the wild because of its inconspicuousness. But for one midsummer's night each year, its exqusitely scented flower opens as night falls, then closes forever with the first rays of the morning sun.

this is very sophisticated, polished, dark, and regal

Zorya on me is the quintessential floral. It's a very dreamlike fragrance, and perfect for the mythological role of the Zorya. The jasmine makes it a bit too sweet for my personal taste -- but jasmine usually doesn't work well on me; others may really love it.

It's all about the florals in here.

Spices and musk took a look at the glory of those night blooming beauties, and flew the coop.

The crown of the flowers is jasmine, no question. It's lovely sweetness, just to the right of corruption....the sweetness of a fruit at its zenith of ripeness, but best not wait an hour! The other flowers provide depth to jasmine's scent, but no question, we know who's queen here.

While it is beautiful, and fairly delicate, it's just SO VERY jasmine that it will be just too flowery much of the time. I would wear this on special occasions, when the temperature is mild.

The first note which hits me when I try Zorya is definitely the floral jasmine. It smells a little bit "powdery" on me, which worries me a little. There's that hint of purple which I associate with violet/iris/orris scents at the edges but no sign of musk or spices for me.

On myself this is a little remiscent of Veil, probably because of the iris scent, I'm guessing my skin is amplifying either the iris or the nightstock as I really wish I could smell the spice to make this scent a little warmer.

The jasmine note in Zorya overwhelmed the scent, giving it the quality of strong generic perfume that I dislike intensely. I could catch a hint of some lovely spice and gentle flowers underneath but not clearly enough to identify them. To add insult to injury, about two minutes after I applied the scent to my skin it developed an undertone of burnt plastic.

Zorya is just not for me.

This was very lovely, despite my initial fear over the jasmine (which doesn't usually work on me). It was very floral and quite strong. I didn't get much of the spices or the musk, but there was an underlying note (not sure which) that gave the blend a bit of a berry quality, and made the jasmine more tolerable.

In the imp, I have smelled this before....where?

This is a perfume that my mother used to wear....before her Knowing years, damn it, this is driving me nuts.

On me, I am now smelling my Mom which is good cause I love her. Holy buckets. I will bring the imp to Moms and get her reaction.

Beautiful. I wanted the entire collection and was concerned about the jasmine but it is either so well blended or in such a small amount that you are not smacked in the head with jasmine, like I so often seem to be.

Drys to a soft jasminish smell. Nice, but I liked it better wet.

Sniffing the imp:

It's kind of fizzy...sparkling....after awhile I realize it smells kind of like Coke, or maybe something lighter, like...uh, Tab? I checked the reviews and I see I'm not the only one to get this!! Alright then, I'm not insane! I don't even drink cola but I swear, this smells like cola. The combination of spices must be similar to those that are in Coke. It's actually more like the carbonation when the bubbles hit your nose. I have always tried to identify the spices in Coke...since I drink it so rarely it's something of an exotic treat for this little tea-drinker. :P

Okay, so when it's on...hmm...still Coke! Actually, ever have one of the Bottlecaps candies that are supposed to taste like cola? That's what this kind of smells like. A touch powdery and candylike. It's definitely not a scent I'd wear because of all the candy-soda associations I'm getting, but it's really interesting!

And now I want a Coke.

My Impression: This is a nice musky oriental with a prominent Jasmine note.

After drydown: The refined regal oriental musk of this is appealing, well balanced and very likable. A lovely evening scent, that appears to have not only some umph behind it, but also appears to have staying power as well... The longer I wear this the more I like it.. :P

Wow... I'm one of the few that gets loads of musk and spice from this one... which is quite OK, because musks and spices are notes I absolutely adore!

Out of the imp, I smell light florals... but once Zorya hits my skin, it morphs to smokey, spicy musk. This is a very refined, elegant woman's scent - warm, but still aloof. The florals sweeten it a bit, but not to overwhelming levels. There's a hint of something that's almost masculine in the background.

I often find musks very clean-smelling, like freshly washed skin, so Zorya has an interesting contrast of smokiness and cleanliness to it.

It's also my longest-lasting BPAL ever - most oils don't last more than four hours on my skin, but I tried a bit of Zorya in the crook of my elbow on Friday evening - it's now Sunday mid-morning, and I can still smell it clearly. This is absolutely unheard of for me, to have an oil last 36 hours, through showering and everything!

Since it smells amazing and lasts like nothing else has for me - Zorya just shot to the top of my must-have-bottle list. :P

Bright musks with lots of beautiful rich Oriental spices added to the mix. Overall, I can pick up more iris than jasmine. Iris loves my skin for some reason. I'm also pretty sure that the cereus is what lends this blend it's personality. It can be a very deep and overwhelming scent, slighty perfumy. It lasts all day for me an stays pretty true since it's parts are very well-blended.

I absolutely adore Zorya. Had this been the first BPAL scent I tried, I probably would've stopped here.

However, it's a gorgeous gorgeous light musk, with a complement of luxurious spices and floral - fortunately, not overly jasmine, since a lot of the BPAL jasmine blends go to Jasmine Level: Painful on me. I get more iris than jasmine as well.

Lush, definitely, and elegant/refined, but also works with the blue jeans, so it's multilayered in both its scent and its style.

First Impression: Heavy jasmine.

Second Impression: Sometimes jas loves me and sometimes it doesn't. In that case, it's the latter. Jasmine dominates and my skin amps it up so much, too much.

Final Analysis: Too potent and heady. Not for me.

Interesting. At very first I couldn't pick up much besides vague florals. After a few moments I realize it's got a sort of dry, peppery scent, but there's sweetness and greenness backing it up. Unfortunately it's pretty soapy, which may either be from the midnight flowers or the jasmine. Dries down to a somewhat powdery muskier, deeper, dryer scent, kind of a bit woody or resin-y.

I wish I could be more specific about some of this, but I have yet to learn what cereus or primrose smell like and am just learning iris.

Overall, out of 5, it's about a 2 on my scale. It could be quite nice on the right person, a mix of nocturnal florals and woodier spices, very subtle and rich, but on me it doesn't work.

in the imp: screaming jasmine!!!!!

on my wrist, wet: other floral notes are amping up. i can distinguish iris and something else that i recognize but can't quite place. i've smelled it somewhere besides in bpal scents. the jasmine is still predominant, the big sister who gets all the attention.

drydown: floral. overwhelmingly floral. although i'm now detecting slight spicy notes, they are more the spice inherent in flowers, the type of spice that is in carnation, and in showy lilies. jasmine still isn't playing well with others. and she has loads of throw and staying power.

if you like jasmine, this is for you!

at first: very fresh, with cool flowers and some spices.

on: lots of gorgeous flowers with a lovely light musk.

half an hour later: the spices are coming out more. there's almost a citrussy feel to this, but it might just be from the musk.

1 hour later: the spices and musk balance well, as far as giving the blend some warmth and some coolness. i really like the flowers, too.

2 hours later: just generally floral. pretty, with that gorgeous musk. the spices are still warming it up.

overall: i'm glad i just went ahead and ordered a 10ml bottle of this. it's very lovely.

Zorya is lovely. Jasmine can be overpowering on me, and it's definitely a top note here, but for some reason I love it in this blend, perhaps because it's blurred by the iris, cereus, and primrose. Whatever it is, it's totally dreamy.

I imagine wearing this on a night drive through the woods, with lots of crystalline night air mixing in around it. Another super-femme blend for me to add to the arsenal.

Oh, my, oh my my my.

I have this outfit, it is cute. Black sweater, white cami, and wine colored pants, and I have been trying to find the perfect perfume for it. I wanted something pretty and feminine, but also nice and elegant, and I have found it!

Zorya is absolutely gorgeous. Not too soapy, just the perfect amount of sweet, but mature, beautiful sweet floral. I love this. I need a big bottle for sure.

When first applied: Jasmine.

15 minutes later: Jasmine.

1 hour later: Jasmine.

1 1/2 hours later: Washed the jasmine off.

Yup. This is nothing but extremely strong and smoky jasmine on me. I swear, that flower loves me. I just can't meet it halfway. It gives me such bad headaches.