Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thorne

French Love

A warm, soft, sexual blend. Sweet and alluring. Used to entice new lovers and add an aura of temptation and carnal sin to your environment.

So, in the past two swaps I've gotten frimps/mystery imps of this TWICE and one of Love Me. I am amused.

French Love is a delicate dragon's blood with some spice to it. I don't want to say "generic" spice, because it's not boring or anything, but it's such a delicate spice that it ends up being earthy and spicy without smelling like anything identifyable as something on my spice rack. There's a hint of heady floral, and something that might be cherry (though that might just be part of the DB acting unusually strong today). It could be sexy if I were in a sexy mood; it's certainly a lovely warm sweet spice, but it doesn't exactly say "carnal sin" to me.

In the bottle, this was a complex sort of scent. It started off fairly generically floral, but then as I drew the bottle away from me I got a faint hint of cherry cough syrup. I could never smell this while I had the scent close to my nose, just as it moved away. The floral neither excited me nor put me off, but the cherry cough syrup note didn't seem like something I really wanted hanging around me. Nonetheless, I decided I did need to try it just like everything else.

So try it I did. On me, it was... meh. It was kind of generically floral. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't reach out and grab me either. I didn't notice the cherry cough syrup smell, at least. It seemed to stick around relatively well, maybe 4-6 hours or so.

I too, get the slightly-spicy cherry thang with this one. I wish I was more familiar with Dragon's Blood scents, but I believe that's the predominant note with this, at least on me.

The spices are subtle, but in the same neighborhood as my beloved Sybaris, so that's a plus for me. But it's a softly sweet scent overall.....I agree with those who say "carnal sin? WTF?" because it doesn't exactly say that to me....then again, this blend isn't exactly FOR me, is it? :P

As far as efficacy goes, well, that will have to wait until after the arrival home of the husband this evening.....we'll see...... :D

this scent is another that stays pretty stable on me, and doesn't morph or go through any discernable stages at all. This smells flowery/resiny to me through all stages. It's actually a pretty nice smell (which seems odd to me since I don't usually like florals), but a little too strong for my taste, and as it has incredible throw, I kept catching a whiff of it any time I moved... I think that dragon's blood seems to just come through really strong wiht my chemistry in any scent i've tried. If the dragon's blood were even slightly less strong, I think this would be really nice for me. As it is, I'm glad I tried it, but will swap this for another scent.

Edited by mtlaise

So I got this lovely little frimp in the mail with my recent order.

first off I must describe that the oil itself is a dark pink, almost red color. All the other oils I have ever bought or gotten free imps of have been rather mellow in color--this is a beautiful jewel color. Really pretty so I had to try it out first.

French Love is initially very sweet--like a burst of cherry or some such, but in no way lozenge type of cherry. It reminded me of cherries still fresh on the tree in the sunlight with a field of flowers nearby.

However, the fruity sweetness mellows out and I'm left with this lovely almost heady scent. Definitely flowers in there but also some kind of incense--perhaps frankincense or myrrh (both like me). It creates a scent that is really beautiful. There might also be something like cinnamon in this, which I'm guessing is the dragon's blood from what others have said, because from time to time I'm getting a subtle little bit of spiciness--but still mixed in with a resinously sweet scent.

French Love truly does smell very French--but like a French painting. It is classy, warm, sensual, and bright. Both resinous/incensy and sweetly floral at the same time, French Love is a complex scent that I highly recommend people to try. This is what I always thought Chanel #5 should smell like and it doesn't. In fact I always found the actual Chanel a disappointment--this doesn't disappoint and evokes that same flavor better than even Chanel does itself.

I must admit French Love is bringing a smile to my face as I'm wearing it. Like walking along the Seine on a sunny spring day, or even an unnaturally warm fall day, with a new love, a flower behind your ear. This would definitely be a scent to feel very feminine and alluringly classy in. :D

I can't admit to the voodoo properties of this yet but I'll make sure to try it out in a situation where I can soon. :P

Throw: Low to Good

Rating: 4/5

Edited by Lunaratu

Well theres dragon's blood and lilac, I know for sure. But I cannot discern any of the other notes in this, it's like a wierd mishmash of things that don't go together. It smells kind of unpleasant and powdery, on my skin (maybe I have wonky chemistry) it smells like stale bread and popcorn. The voodoo properties don't work for me either, however I believe that you have to like the scent you're wearing in order for them to work. Don't like this! Adieu French Love!!!! :P

Anything with dragon's blood in it tends to turn into a single-note dragon's blood on me. No exception here. This is a very sweet, syrupy, straight-forward dragon's blood.

I haven't tried it ritually yet, so I can't speak to its effectiveness. I'll update if I have anything to add :P.

Oh I am in love with this! I don't quite know how to pin down what this smells like on me, but it is sweet, creamy and a hint spicy. I know that I'm getting florals from this, but not any one in particular, definitely a well rounded bouquet. If there's rose in this, it's behaving very very well and is not sharp at all! Others have been mentioning a cherry type scent, and, while I do not specifically get cherry it is possible since this blend has a bit of a candy sweetness to it. Floating on top of this sweetness is a spice that must be dragon's blood and myrhh (?) perhaps.

This one lasts and lasts on my skin and does not morph. I do not have anyone to test it on right now :P but when my bf comes to visit I will perhaps give this one a go... I can see myself wearing this one as a perfum quite regularly though, especially in spring.

Absolutely lovely, and glad I got it as a frimp, I would have never thought to try it!

i think this contains dragon’s blood, judging by its rich red color, and also jasmine. and some soft powdery note that i can’t identify. maybe myrrh? i’m starting to like dragon’s blood better, but i really can’t say this blend makes me feel especially sexy. i think it’s too feminine for my taste. still, i’ll go ahead and wear it tonight and see if my husband takes notice :P

In the bottle:

Powdery, a little soapy, a touch of citrus and floral.

Wet:

Dragon's blood resin like whoa. But not in an obnoxious way. There's something sweet and powdery that softens it. Rose? Someone suggested gardenia in the review thread. Whatever the floral is, it's one of the rubbery ones (I don't mean that in a bad way). I'm pretty sure there's a musk in here, too. Hard to say what else. It's a very warm, reddish pink smell, maybe with white lace or white powder. Subdued, but extremely present.

Dry down:

Powdery florally dragon's blood resin.

Final thoughts:

It's nice, but not for me.

French Love is Dragon's Blood after it has been taken from the soil and cleaned, scrubbed and polished.

It is now being worn by a scantily clad young woman of effortless beauty, with her hair carefully tousled and her make-up subtle but carefully done (her cheeks are artfully flushed). Her underwear is the most expensive silk and lace, and her dressing gown (which is hanging off one shoulder, seductively) is made of cashmere. It's sensual and sutble, rather than overtly sexy. This mademoiselle always waits for you to seduce her, although she always knows that you will.

Summary: May I have some more please? Adult, sophisticated, powerful scent that lasts and lasts and lasts. Of all the Voodoo oils I've tried this is the one I've found most pleasant to wear and most making me feel like I'd expect with it. Unfortunately I am lacking in guys to test it's more mystical side on.

In bottle: Pinkish red, medium thick oil, dragon’s blood and light florals.

Wet: light sweet florals backed by dragon’s blood and maybe something musky. Very pleasant (and it smells like it’s going to be a very durable scent).

Dry: Something dry overlays it all.

Later: lasting VERY well (can still smell it clearly on my wrist 12 hours later) dry underlayer, juicy dragon's blood in the middle, jasmine/ylang ylang floral on top. blends nicely, no bug spray, no powder.

This is a lovely, soft, red scent. It reminds me very much of Dragon's Milk and Blood Amber. There is a dragon's blood note dominating the blend, with a soft, lovely, creamy, milky undertone. I detect something that smells like amber as well, and undertones of soft florals. It doesn't have a lot of throw, and stays close to the skin. I love dragon's blood blends, and this is just lovely. I like this very much :P

In the bottle: Sharp and soapy, like a shampoo.

Wet: Once on the skin, the dragon's blood comes out. And something else...something floral. Like gardenia but not as sweet. Lily?

Drydown: The floral note comes to the forefront but the dragon's blood is right behind it. To me, there's a fine line between good floral and old lady and too often florals go full tilt into old lady. I like this floral, though. It has a subtle spice to it and it smells pretty. I don't feel sexy in this--no "aura of temptation and carnal sin" here. This is for the morning after, not the night before.

This threatens to go candy or cola (a la Wrath or Love Me) for just a few seconds, but it turns out to be a lovely spiced dragon's blood. This is extremely pretty and a scent that stays close to the body. I'm quite fond of this one--along with High John and Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, this may be one of my favorite Voodoo Blends.

Wet: A straight shot of dragon's blood.

First on: Dragon's blood is definitely the lead note in this scent dance, but there is at least one floral -- rose gardenia? -- and one spice (which is vaguely myrrh-like, though I'm not sure if what I'm smelling is myrrh or not). Sort of like walking through cherry tree-lined garden path on a summer day.

Dry: Very cherry at this point, but I'm not getting the cough syrup effect. There is still another floral amping up the overall flowery effect of this, but it's lovely. Soft and sophisticated, but alluring.

Will have to wait for the boyfriend to get home before I can tell if it has any carnal sin effects, though. :P

French Love is definitely warm, sweet and comforting. I'm not sure about the temptation and carnal sin effects, but wearing this today I got an unexpected 50 cent raise, as well as $200 in gift certificates to be used at any store in town, and many many compliments on how I look. Weird!

Scent review only

In the bottle: Definitely the dragon's blood, but there's something almost perfume-y to it.

First on: Floral baby powder. I think it's gardenia, maybe amber too? Amber ges powdery on me if it's mixed with heavy florals. The db is just sitting there waiting for it's turn (I hope).

Drydown: Baby powder soap. Hint of gardenia.

Overall: Not my taste.

Edited by dreadeddragon

This so did not work for me. In the bottle it reeked of cherry cough syrup. On my skin it smelled like sticky, burnt cough syrup. It's very off-putting.

I guess dragon's blood & I don't agree.

First sniff was very soapy-nothing but soap. But I love dragon's blood so I decided to give it a try anyway. First fifteen minutes was nothing spectacular, still somewhat soapy. What are all these people talking about? I must be looking at the wrong reviews! Finally 45 minutes later I am finally starting to smell the spicy notes of the dragon's blood. I can also smell something floral like gardenia or another tropical flower. I like this oil but I am an impatient person and the only drawback about this one is how long it takes to warm up on my skin.

This has come freely to me at such an appropriate time :P

The scent is quite good to me, DB becomes very lilac-y on me, which I like, and then there are the added spices. So this is like a spiced, heady, resinous lilac scent.

Will enjoy trying it out on ze love-life...

I get mostly dragon's blood and spice - maybe a hint of floral - in this. Dragon's blood amps on me, and it usually takes very hefty notes to balance it on my skin. The Bloody Sword is one of the few DB scents where I can smell the other notes. On, wet, it goes strongly floral on me for a second, then true to past experience, the dragon's blood swallows all the other notes. As for the magical properties, I have no idea how this effects people, but its driving my cat insane.

Judging by other reviews I'd say this smells different on me than it smells on most people, but...

I think French Love is the best-smelling oil of all the Voodoo Blends. It's one of the few that I'd wear as perfume. It's a spicy but smooth dragon's blood. Sometimes dragon's blood smells kind of sticky and sweet on me, but it doesn't in this one. It's all smooth and wonderful. I don't know what spice that is with it... actually, that might not be true. It's a little bit floral and a little bit spicy, so it might be carnation. It does smell sort of like carnation to me.

I already have a bottle of this, and I love it. It's such a great scent -- comforting and alluring all at the same time.

In the imp: Perfumey. This is bright red; I'll eat my hat if it's not based on my beloved dragon's blood.

Wet: Kind of grandma-floral, then goes through a stage of generic red candy.

Drydown: A tangier, spicier floral emerges, supported by, yep, the dragon's blood. It goes a tad light for me to think of it as really sexy or sultry. However, Lord Husband keeps following me around the apartment. Hmm! :P