Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thorne

French Love

A warm, soft, sexual blend. Sweet and alluring. Used to entice new lovers and add an aura of temptation and carnal sin to your environment.

French Love is candy sweet in the imp, as is usual with dragon's blood. It doesn't retain that wet, uber sticky quality that dragon's blood normally leaves on my skin, though.

It turns rather floral on my wrist with a warm, spice-like background. There is a just a *touch* of some kind of plastic-like note that's trying to present itself (it's actually reminding me a bit of Madrid which turned to a grey, already-been-chewed gum scent on me. Aike!). Hopefully it will stay away!

As the description says, the blend is soft. It doesn't have a bunch of throw, so far as my nose can tell. But it would be overly cloying if it did, so that's a positive thing.

I can't say I find this oil to be a sexual one, per se. It does smell slightly medicinal and thus intended more for practical use than just plain perfume. I'd be inclined to layer it with a deeper wine scent to make it more wearable on me. Either that, or it will be used for candle work.

French Love

In the bottle: honeyed vanilla faint w/ dragon’s blood (although I admit the color is influencing me on the blood count)

Wet: rather soft but stronger than in the bottle/imp. Does not have that super-ultra-sweet tang that dragon’s blood has, quite nice!

Drying/3 mins:more musky almost spice now, but still a lovely honey vanilla tone to my nose at least

Dry/15 mins: much more spicy now, it’s taken over. The soft honey vanilla is mostly gone. :P

Wet: Dragon's Blood & cinnamon red hots. Yum. I love and adore both Dragon's Blood Resin & cinnamon. Together, they can do no wrong.

Dry: Like sugary cinnamon candy, and a touch of something heady just floating under the surface. It's the DBR, but it's almost unidentifiable by now.

A couple of hours on: very soft, powdery, with a hint of candy spice.

I am in (French) Love. I bought the 10ml.

Floral, with a hint of spice, a bit of cinnamon and the "dirty" quality I've gotten in French Creole (which I've learned to adore)

It's surprisingly soft and almost clean smelling, but unfortunatly, it doesn't carry enough throw to really give me a mental smack and get the gears going.

I'm going to hold onto the imp for now (since its such a pretty shade of red), and give it a re-run sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I definitely get dragon's blood here. There is a warmth to it as well, but i'm not getting spice like some of the other posters have. I'm also getting a tiny little bit of floral, but mostly dragon's blood. I'll have to try it again when I'm going to be around other people to say if the voodooness of it works for me. As far as scent it's ok, but I wouldn't wear it just as perfume.

I had such high hopes for this one because of the name and the fact that it was a Voodoo blend, but it's not at all like my beloved French Creole. Sort of peppery and weakly floral, like a tulip. Reading the above I see that it has DBR, which explains a lot - DBR and I don't get along, it usually turns plastic and gross on me.

Edited by roesmoker

This wasn't what I was expecting at all.

I was immediatly worried when I saw that it was bright red. Dragons Bood *hiss*. If there's one note I hate more than anything, it's dragons blood ><

On my skin this is all Dragons Blood and some sort of flower. As it dries, the flowers turn powdery and the dragons blood smell stays entact.

I had to wash this one off. Not me at all.

A frimp from the Labbies; will have to wait 'til this evening to see if the Voodoo properties work on DH. :P

Lovely bright pink color! Hmm, I can see the resemblance to Dragon's Milk, but softer and muskier. Slightly candied in a powdery way--like Sweet Tarts. Oddly alluring, but I like Dragon's Milk better, so unless the Voodoo really works amazingly well I'll likely swap it.

Wet on skin: Dragon's blood, cinnamon, honey, and soap (lily?). I'm not sure what to think of this--It's a very strange mix of warmth and florals. I did get a hint of the dreaded plastic smell for the first few minutes, but that burned off, thankfully.

Dry on skin: Pretty much the same.

French Love gives me visions of an octaroon mistress soaking in a hot bath--so much so that I added a few drops from my imp to my bath last night for ambiance, and it was great, but I don't feel compelled to upgrade to a bottle.

Edited by paradoxicaljlb

I really love the floral note in this (maybe lily or lilac?), but Dragon's Blood never, ever works on me. I like the overall scent sniffing from the imp, but DB turns to a horrible plastic berry scent immediately on contact with my skin. I keep trying, though! :P

The Dragon's Blood was much stronger than the floral in the imp and wet, I only really detected the mystery floral and a hint of something else (honey?) on drydown. Nice, but not on me.

In the vial, this even looks like its name, almost a vivid pink in color. On first application, the scent is floral and a little sweet. Warm with the tiniest hint of powdery vanilla, and a bit of spice. Pretty! I haven't tried anything with dragon's blood, IIRC, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

After a while, it gets a little muskier, a little warmer. It actually reminds of Snake Oil, a little bit--must be the vanilla note.

On the drydown, the scent becomes more of a warm floral, but then turns to floral soap. And then the same rose and almond note I got from #20 Love Oil. Maybe it's part and parcel with Voodoo Blends? It's a pretty enough scent, but not for me.

Edited by Voleuse

I'm thinking dragon's blood. Looks like dragon's blood, smells in the vial like dragon's blood plus something a bit medicinal.

Wet: The medicinal/herbal note is actually dominating over the dragon's blood, I think, which is perhaps just as well because dragon's blood gets so unbearably cloyingly sweet on me.

Drying: Getting sweeter and more purely dragon's blood. It's not awful, it's just kind of overly floral and perfumey.

Dry: over-sweet, floral, a little bit soapy. Not my kind of thing. Did not have any noticeable enticing properties; although one person did ask me to read at her reading series, she asks me whenever she sees me and then forgets, so this was nothing new.

This was a tangy spicy scent on me - The dragons blood didn't really come out that much (which is a shame as I love it) so I might have to test this one again. There was a sultryness about it that is quite sexy!

I bought a 5 ml from the description alone and I suppose I should have just gone with an imp.

Don't get me wrong, French Love is lovely--just not something I need so much of. Yes, definately Dragon's Blood, which is nice and has that spicey sweet scent I enjoy. There is also a floral in there I can't indentify, but it isn't a particularly strong floral. Maybe vanilla?

Its a sweet spicey floral, but it doesn't stand out much when I put it on. and while it doesn't exactly fade quickly, it also lingers at such a low level I think its gone away when it hasn't. I can see that it could be quite seductive because its like a whisper--something you have to lean in to catch the scent of.

but I prefer something stronger, so off it goes.

pre-conceived notion: I've had this imp for so long now, that I don't even remember how it was I got it. It was a freebie imp from someone... possibly from the Lab... and I've used it so many times that it's hard for me to remember what my initial impression was. It's the only cherry-colored oil I've seen from BPAL so far. Obviously the description on this one alone is enough to intrigue, but without any mention of the notes I really don't think I had any firm idea of what I was getting myself into.

Later research told me that the red is probably from Dragon's Blood.

in the vial: This scent is warm and sticky and sweet. It kind of gives me the feeling of an elixir or rich balm. I get this impression of a naked woman in a tent in the desert, wearing golden bracelets around her wrists and ankles, sitting on silk cushions while she annoints her brown body. This is very much a seductive scent to wear while preparing oneself for a night of abandon. Although this lists itself as an oil to entice new lovers, this is not a love spell... I think the love and fascination is a given. You need to be pretty confident in the feelings of your lover for you, and of his desire for your flesh. This is for when you feel young and alive and vibrantly desirable, and simply want to make sure that this fact is underlined in an irresitible fashion for your lover (who is clearly off panting in the wings).

wet: All the promise of the imp just explodes into something deeply and assertively sexual. There is a faint hint of spice under the sweetness, a warmth that reminds me of cinnamon if somehow cinnamon were stripped of its teeth. The sweetness is not floral: it reminds me of sugar water and spun pink cotton candy. There is a faint bite of raspberry cordial in this too. I get the feeling that this is Dragon's blood and cherry and cinnamon in the most lovely, complex blend imaginable. I can see why this is classified as a magical blend.

drydown: God, this is just so pretty and gorgeous. The decadence puts me in mind of aancient Egyptian queens.

verdict: I MUST BUY MORE.

post-conceived notion: if this is what Dragon's blood can do, maybe I actually will like scents with this note after all!

French Love is probably my favourite smelling of the voodoo blends that I've tried. It's a sweet dragon's blood scent, with just a hint of something spicy in it. It's very soft and pleasant, and really quite nice just as a perfume.

Its voodoo properties must be pretty good, since the first night I wore it, I ended up getting attacked by cute boys trying to smell me - and occassionally trying to get a nibble in as well, right where the French Love had been applied. Heck - I'm not going to argue with results like that. :P

Edited by madelf

In the bottle: Oooh, this is beautiful. Dragon's Blood and roses, and it’s really hard to describe other than that. It’s just a mélange of beautiful scents.

Applied: at first, it is much like it is in the bottle, except that it heats up on your skin and just explodes with beauty. Strong throw—it’s kind of like the effect of using an oil burner. Wow. This may be worthy of a 10 mL, which I don’t usually buy.

This doesn’t change, but it is good from beginning to end. Great staying power, and it is strong but not overwhelming—you just want to get closer to it. (If I liked O, this is what O would smell like.) A total winner.

On a scale of 1 to 5: 5!!

Edited by LushNatty

Dragon's Blood, and something floral.

Usually I love Dragon's Blood, but something in this is going sharp on my skin. I think it's the added floral? I think this is too much scent for me--I'll stick to the lighter, soapier "Come To Me" for my voodoo love oil! Off to swaps.

In the bottle - Sweet and floral and dragons blood resin.

Wet on me - Sweet and powdery. Parma violets come to mind (in feel rather than how it actually smells).

Dry on me - Remained sweet, but became lightly incensy and lasted a long time.

This is pretty much dragon's blood on me. I don't really get the spiciness that other's have commented on.

The drydown, however, is softer and warmer than what I associate with dragon's blood.

Nice enough. I'll keep this for the ritual aspect.

Edited by maewitch

Dragon's Blood. YEEEAAY!

I love dragon's blood, and French Love is very much a DBR scent, so I had a feeling we'd get along just fine.

Despite the fact that I'd say a love/respect for DBR is a prerequisite for enjoying this scent, French Love is the lightest Dragon's Blood I've smelled- and an extremely light fragrance in general. For whatever reason, I've found that the lighter DBR wears, the more it resembles lilac, so be warned that this particular blend has a much more floral feel to it.

I do not get any cinnamon at all. Cinnamon would have ruined this blend for me. Instead, I'm going to go with the camp that guessed gardenias, because there is a slight, barely perceptable spiciness to this, and a tiny, tiny drop of gardenia would have given that impression.

French love is not foody at all, and, if there is any vanilla in this, it exists way, way in the background. It has the warmth and comfort factor of vanilla through creamy light florals. Very pretty, a bit sexy, very easy to wear.

As to it's voodoo properties, I cannot say. Lovers are the last damned things I need right now!

An interesting blend. I get dragon's blood, tuberose (which smells a lot like gardenia) and a faint musk from this. Usually I can't do tuberose or any type of heavy floral, but somehow this is almost wearable for me. There's a certain soapy quality to this oil and it does feel exuberant and sexual. I think I'm going to try layering it with Dragon's Musk and seeing how that works.

i acquired an imp of this at the recent nyc meet and sniff...

i get a lot of lilac in this, which is great - i love lilac. and the dragon's blood most people mention, plus a bit of spice in the distance. it's a bit heady and dreamy, like walking down a garden-y street in New Orleans.

a little vanilla and muskiness seems to come out later. reminds me slightly of dragon's milk, with less plastickyness, and a bit more soapiness...the more it dries, i get less lilac, more dragon's blood, and almost a cherry-vanilla feeling. after a while it gets a bit soapy, as i said, and the dragon's blood reminds me a bit of "urinal cake" as it sometimes will do when i wear it...but don't get me wrong, it's very pleasing and charming at first , for the first hour or two...

as to whether it works..i don't know yet, i've only worn it once, late at night, to go to the deli. nothing happened. but i'll try again soon...

French Love: This is a very nice blend. I get the dragons blood but I can not make out what the other notes are. It is warm exotic and smooth. I may get a bottle of this. :P