Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thorne

French Love

A warm, soft, sexual blend. Sweet and alluring. Used to entice new lovers and add an aura of temptation and carnal sin to your environment.

Ahh, the unmistakable color of Dragon's Blood in the imp. It smells like Dragon's Blood and lilac. DB is pretty in small amounts, but combined with lilac the whole blend is very overpowering.

I love love love Snake Oil and was very intrigued by this scent.

In the Imp it is very sweet and powdery in a pleasant flowery way. MMMmmmm on me it’s all sweet lilac candy Snake Oil goodness. Very subtle and sweet on me. Slightly clean and powdery but lovely all the same. Put some more on my wrists so we’ll see if anyone notices.

In the bottle: Definately Dragon's Blood. Whew, that smells nice!

Wet: Almost... floral.

Dry: The dragonsblood has faded into whatever the undernotes of this scent is. All I can get out of it is floral. It's nice, but perhaps just not quite for me.

Huh... it's been some time since I last wore this... The first thing that I remember is that it makes me self-conscious and blush a lot and that I swore to myself to only wear it on suitable occasions. :lol:

It's a pink floral scent mostly. Not as overtly sensual as Follow Me Boy. It's pretty strong, though, and very, very feminine. Nothing soapy in the floral notes for me. Everything blends with my skin most pleasantly.

Now, back to its effects: I wore it a couple of times during regular work days, and that didn't go too well. It made me feel weird when I was talking to men, as I thought my perfume might be too aggressively flirtatious and sensual. I NEVER get this with Follow Me Boy, even though that one smells much less innocent. I think French Love really captures those butterflies in your stomach, putting you on edge, where FmB tends to create a relaxed, open state of mind.

So, my advice would be to use this one sparingly and not when you are going to have to talk to a lot of guys you are not into.

Like it, but I have to be careful because putting on more than a little bit gives me a headache! (Tiny dabs on the neck and cleavage and that's plenty.) I can't even hold the imp very close to my nose for more than a second - if I want a whiff, I usually wave the (closed) imp around in the air about 5-6 inches away from my nose.

I couldn't even begin to identify any specific notes in this one. All I know is after wearing it for a while, it seems to smell a little sweeter than when it starts out.

Edited by lavenderfrost

I'm not sure what I was expecting with this since I didn't read the reviews before I tried it. Its definitely Dragon's Blood and floral. I didn't get any lilac, thank God because it has major headache super powers. Its lovely, well rounded, but I thought it would be just a touch sweeter like so many of the voodoo blends (All Night Long and Red Devil come to mind, minus the cinnamon).

Slightly resinous/ ambery with a touch of light floral and powder. Not as powdery as Follow Me Boy, which totally changed my feelings on powder notes :wub2:, but its a great scent when you don't want something over powering. It just smells good and makes people come closer.

This was love on 1st sniff.. I had this on my wishlist for a long time and received a frimp.

Wet: sweet dragons blood, vanilla, and lilac. Warm and surrounding. I don't get any powderiness and the lilac isn't overpowering (though lilac does not offend my senses by any means..I love it actually).

Drydown: some of the warm vanilla feel burns off and the blend gets redder, but not by much. The lilac turns slightly green too, but not 100% noticable if I wasn't huffing my wrist every 2 seconds... this is a great spring + summer blend! I love it and looking for a bottle.

I would say try it of you like dragons milk, eros, follow me boy, or dragons blood straight up.

It smelled like plasticky candy at first in a weird, not unpleasant, sort of way. No bitter herbs, the Dragon's Blood isn't overpowering, and the scent has settled into a sweet, powdery floral. In fact, it's a little too sweet.

Off to the swap/sell pile.

In the vial: Spicy dragon's blood.

On me: Primarily herbal. There's an occasional touch of hot dry spice, probably cinnamon, and an even rarer hint of sweetness, but this is herbs overall: potent, dry, mildly bitter. Hardly indistinct, but not particularly robust either, and doesn't much morph or grow once it hits the skin. Scent-color is a dusty green. Throw is low.

Verdict: French Love does just about nothing for me, but then out of the vial I don't get any of the dragon's blood, etc. as reported by others. Nor am I particularly attached to this scent's intended purpose. I washed it off, and won't keep my imp.

imp: sticky resiny dragons blood

wet on skin: something sweet commands my attention and overwhelms the resinyness.

dry down: something unnameable spicy/herbal

quite lovely actually, even though i don't normally fancy dragons blood. i'll enjoy this imp but probably won't be buying a bottle.

French Love-

In Bottle: Indefinable! Sweet, and somehow nostalgic--I get this whiff of a gift shop I used to go to in my childhood...

Wet: Fruity-honey sweet. Has that Dragon's Blood type of base in it.

Dry: Very sweet; aggressively sweet and bright, with a little...whiff of something like civet-y reek underneath it

Overall: Not for me.

When I first applied this, it didn't smell like much. I thought, "meh."

Then as my skin warmed it up, it began to bloom... Ahhhhhhh. Soft, alluring, and delicious. Sweet and spicy. I have no idea what the notes are, and I don't care. :yum:

French Love is really hard to describe! It has the potential to smell like some kind of plastic or something artificial. It's mostly floral and spicy, at first it smells like some kind of cough medicine. I'm not sure what would cause that. I don't think French Love works on me at all, it smells too artifical for me.

ETA: After keeping the imp for a few months, this smells much better. It smells alot warmer and it has lost it's plastic/medicinal edge.

Edited by becca_s

Heady flowers at first. Maybe jasmine? Dries to a slightly sour heady flower mix, which is making me think that rose is in here somewhere, as rose sometimes goes sour on me. In spite of this, It's a bit odd, and maybe it just needs to warm up.

ITI: Lily or gardenia, dragon's blood resin, and something that reads as a little fruity to me.

Wet: It's exotic, slightly resinous, while still being a heady floral - either lily or gardenia, although I'm leaning more toward gardenia. There is a slight baby oil quality to it, but it's nice. Yep, that's gardenia.

Dry: Faintly vanilla'd dragon's blood infused gardenia. It's pretty and alluring, but not overpowering.

French Love reminded me *exactly* of Lush's Rock Star soap, which I would always pick up and sniff before remembering how much I dislike it and dropping it like a hot coal. I haven't tried any of the Ars Draconis blends so I don't know if I'm getting any dragon's blood, but to me this was violets all the way. Florals are not my strong suit and I've tended to avoid violets in particular (mostly because I thought they were the main note in Rock Star), so I might be misremembering how they smell. That said, it wasn't bad on my skin, and I did end up using up the imp. Dry, it was a powdery floral with just enough depth to keep it interesting, and definitely not the overpoweringly sweet note I got in the imp. If soft, powdery florals are your thing, this should be a slam dunk, but unfortunately it wasn't my style.

I've had this imp for almost a year and a half but held off testing it because French Love smells a bit off-putting to me. It's a weird, floral-powdery-perfumey, sharp scent. I felt a little too nervous to test it in public, let alone in any kind of romantic setting.

Wet, on my skin, the sharpness eases, and it becomes a sort of spicy floral cough medicine. It improves on the dry down, losing some of the medicinal quality, but this is still very much not for me.

French Love is a very feminine, flowery blend, but I don't find it be particularly sexual or tempting.

I like this one. But that's about it really. I did not fall in love with the scent, it did not give me that "Woooowwwzzzersss" feeling either.

It's nice, it smells sweet with an edge and it develops beautifully on my skin. At first it is mostly sweet, thick and a bit candy-like.

After a few minutes I sense a warm, powdery floral scent which is nice, but not really my style.

It is a feminine, sensual scent, but not what I might have expected maybe. I am going to keep it and wear it, but it is not my favourite.

I get the "sweet plastic" that many people mention - a bit like My Little Ponies used to be. (Am I crazy or did they used to smell fruity behind all that plastic smell? Maybe I'm imagining it.)

A little fruity, a little floral, not so sure about Dragon's Blood. A nice scent, but not me at all. To the swap pile it goes.

Dry: The dragon’s blood is obvious just from looking at the oil. Sniffing it, I also smell cassia and pale flowers.

Drydown: Aside from from a curiously tempered dragon’s blood and cassia, there is something that smells almost clear in this. Citrus or herbs or juniper, maybe? And gardenia, I think. As it continues to dry, the gardenia starts to smell more and more like jasmine. Or perhaps they’re both in there, actually. For half a second I think I smell anise, which prompts an ah-ha! moment resulting in a suspicion that the blend contains absinthe. There must also be another white note too, because the throw smells slightly creamy and something must be keeping the dragon’s blood in check. My guess is milk or tonka.

Dry: I’m surprised by how well-blended this is and by the fact that nothing is amping to high hell. It smells like a cross between Pontarlier and Dragon’s Milk, with a dash of cassia added for extra yumminess. It’s a beautifully feminine blend, but it’s got some swagger too. This is a scent for a woman that fluidly switches back and forth between dominant and submissive.

8 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

Wet: This is a sweet and happy scent. If this is what Dragon's Blood smells like then I'm a fan :)

Drydown: It's a sweet, powdery, feminine floral. Bright, fresh, and clean. It's pretty and it makes me feel happy so I can see how it might have some magical properties! Will have to report back on their efficacy ;)

This one smells like cherry candy on me with a wee bit of a powdery character. I think I have found that dragon's blood isn't my cup of tea...

I get the dragon's blood in this one, but it's not as strong as in the most of the "Dragon's ______" blends that I have tried. Sometimes dragon's blood is off-putting for me--but not here.

French Love smells just like it sounds. It's sweet and romantic- like a young-love summer romance. A bit of candy sweetness, cherries, and a smidge of department store perfume.

This was best for me the first couple of hours after it dried down. After that, it started to face quite quickly.

Can't say much about the voodoo properties since I'm alone at my work desk, but it's not the typical sexy, romantic scent that usually makes me feel like a vixen.

It's nice...not sure how often I would wear it, but I will keep the imp.