Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Neecerie

Thirteen (13)

In our paean to all the mysteries surrounding this enigmatic number, there are thirteen lucky and unlucky components, including white chocolate, tangerine, currant, mandarin, white tea and iris.

This reminds me of Terry's Chocolate Orange chocolate from England. It also has a lovely sofy muskiness about it too. I find it to be very charming and delicious! A must have! :P Edited by Shollin

Is that white chocolate I smell in the bottle? It's definitely not as sweet or creamy white as I'd have thought it would've been, more like ... er, milk chocolate. Whatever, it's still chocolate, and I'm happy. It does smell like a Terry's Chocolate Orange, or orange-flavoured Tootsie Rolls, only less so.

When I put it on, it becomes a spicy chocolate orange. Please tell me there's no patchouli in this - I wonder what the rest of the thirteen elements are. It doesn't take long for the spiciness to go away, which is good because my nose was beginning to hurt every time I had a sniff. I now have orange-flavoured chocolate on my wrist, more orange than chocolate. I can't argue with that.

It didn't blow me away, but I didn't dislike it either. I'll keep my bottle, but I don't know that I'll get another bottle at the next Friday the 13th. I might wait for the next Friday the 13th after October to restock, and see how I feel then. It can do with a bit of aging - that does sometimes work wonders. For now, a 7/10.

Hah! Even though I'm not a big fan of chocolate, something about the Lab's chocolate scents always grab me. They just smell so unexpected and unique! 13 is no exception. In the bottle it smells, well, kinda gross. Musty and mildewy and something that makes me think there's patchouli. But on, straight up chocolate oranges. It mellows out to really bring out the iris, which makes for a bizarre, but very warm and comforting scent. I'd say if you like Freak Show, Velvet, and/or Intrigue, you'll really like 13.

Hmm. This scent is kind of cacophonous. (Is that really I word?) The thirteen elements perhaps are not all sharing space cozily, but fighting a bit. I suspect this might do well with some aging, though.

I get a TON of chocolate- not white at all- and something else, not really orangy but kind of fruity. And loads of spiciness in the background.

Still I rather like it. It just is kind of extra strong on me. I may not wear it a ton. We'll see.

I was wondering if it was going to remind me of Bulgari's Omnia, since it shares some notes in common (white chocolate, mandarin, tea) but not at all. (Omnia happens to me my very favorite perfume-perfume, which I still wear even now that I have BPAL to fritter money away on, and I once had a customer threaten to launch himself over the counter and molest me due to how good it smelled on me. Urg. Some days customer service is just SCARY.) Still, it's definitely interesting and I keep sniffing it trying to figure out what exactly it is I'm smelling.

I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Frimp love from Mandragora! You rock! Feel the love (in a totally non stalker way of course!) :D

In the bottle: Terry's chocolate orange. You know the one you have to wack hard? Yummy! :P

Wet: Terry's chocolate orange.

Dry down: orange and a sour note, like chocolate aftertaste when one has eaten chocolate and not brushed their teeth. :D

30 minutes: luckily the sour aftertaste note goes away quickly. The chocolate has returned as chocloate. After thirty minutes I have a light citrus and chocolate scent. It is fresh and clean smelling too.

Conclusion: I love the idea that this has 13 notes in it. I couldn't tell them apart. I will have to wear this more to determine if I will buy a big bottle next time it is available. I will enjoy the imp very much.

Rating 1-5 on my skin this is a 3.5.

In the bottle: Orangey chocolate, and something else I'm guessing is the tea.

On my skin: The citrus component virtually evaporated on contact, leaving behind a thin, tea-like chocolate behind. Weird because chocolate usually loves my chemistry.

Later on: Pencil shavings, mostly.

definitly chocolate oranges, right out of the bottle! as it dries it takes on a very candyish smell on me...kind of like a candy necklace, actually! very light and sweet. something about it smells "english" to me, too, no idea why.

in terms of colors this is a light purple and orange scent.

i like it...not sure that i love it, or if i will come to...

well, i love this scent. does remind me of freak show, which i also love, but is longer-lasting and a more "straight-up" white chocolate-tangerine, as described. 13 works really well on my skin. this is a happy, pleasant scent, that has garnered many compliments in the few days i have been wearing it - it is also appropriate for many occasions - in the last few days i've worn it to a memorial service, a festive party, and to my job. it seemed to work well for all of those. i've said it before and i'll say it again: i haven't met a bpal "foody" scent i haven't loved. also the chocolate/fruitiness stays very "true" throughout many hours of wear.

In both the vial and on me I first get this strong impression of peanut brittle. Yes, I have absolutely no idea and I'm thinking my chemistry is a bit wonky.

Smelling deeper past the peanut brittle impression I can make out the creamy white chocolate mixed with orange. It somehow reminds me of fall and also makes me hungry. I also smell an underlying of white tea which I love.

This definitely isn't my type of perfume. I don't usually like smelling like food and the peanut brittle smell is just really weird, but that's definitely my skin being strange.

In the bottle: Chocolate oranges. This is promising.

On, wet: Still chocolate oranges. Of course, chocolate scents rarely last on my skin, so I'm curious to see how this will pan out,

Drydown: First sign of trouble is a harsh, woody note, which is familiar to me, although i can't place it. What I do know is that it doesn't really work. It gets less harsh, but the eventual drydown manages to be both cloying and woody. Something about this one doesn't agree with my skin at all.

Drat. I'm glad I got to try it, anyway, but it just doesn't work for me.

Wow! What a complex and ever-changing scent! I love it. :P

The predominant notes are chocolate and orangey-citrus. I love to layer Carnal and Bliss, so that's fine with me! But it is more complex and subtle than that. For one thing, there's a hint of floral, which is great for me, because I so want to wear florals but can't stand most of them on me. I love finding blends that have a hint of floral along with other scents that I adore. It's also a bit spicy, a bit juicy, a bit sweet, and a bit sharp. A bit of just about everything! In a very harmonoius mix.

You really need to try this one! :D

In the bottle: this smells exactly like a bitten Godiva madarin orange truffle.

Wet: Still a bitten Godiva mandarin orange truffle.

Dry: Initially, the bitten Godiva mandarin orange truffle. Very sweet.

1 hour: The tiniest hint of floral is begining to show, along with a hint of dirt.

2 hours: I am still getting the (dark!) chocolate and orange, but it is more subtle. A hint of musk is wafting through. The hint of iris and dirt has vanished. Tea works well on me and I have yet to smell any tea.

This is an amazing scent in the way that it changes over time. Truly a shape shifter!

Bottle

Dark cocoa powder with strong orange. It is *very* chocolate.

Wet

The chocolate smell persists and is reminicent of bliss, but with an orange note. Just like the pumpkin patches remind me of variations on jack (for the one I have tried), this is like a sexier, darker bliss.

This also reminds me heavily of LUSH heavenly bodies. It is hard to explain the scent when I keep thinking that heavenly bodies is very similar--but 13 is far better.

Dry

The first few times I wore this, I got distracted by the end. The throw changes as I wear it. Dry it is very soft and sweet. I think this is due to the honey and the iris.

The last time I wore this, the softer dry scent persisted longer. Mmmmm. What a gorgeous blend. It is decanden, sexy, and bold and dries down soft, sweet, and fantastically feminine.

In the bottle:

A somewhat dry and bittersweet chocolate (this is fine dark chocolate, not brownies), with a hint of something fruity behind.

Wet:

Oh, chocolate, you are my friend at last. I know I hated you in Bliss and Vice; you're home now, baby. Sophisticated and only slightly sweet, with a hint of sour citrus beneath. I know everyone else is getting those candied Chocolate Oranges, but this doesn't smell foody to me. It smells like I thought Dia de los Muertos was going to.

Drydown:

A dry floral with a hint of tea starts sneaking in, and then this scent is perfection -- for about two minutes.

Then I discover that iris really IS all I'm smelling in Florence and Black Pearl, and whatever, I love it anyhow. It's a delicious, almost marzipan-almondy scent, but I am quite sad about the snazzy chocolate-orange being gone.

It does come back a few hours later, although it's rather faint. I'm going to smother myself in this, though, because I've never smelt something so delicious that didn't actually smell like food. Yum yum.

This is just amazing. The chocolate is sweet and rich without being overpoweringly foody, and CREAMY! I get just a hint of tart orange, and the iris is lush and gorgeous. This is elegant and warm. I'm not sure if I'll wear it often in the summer, but it's perfect for winter and spring.

1. place tootsie roll on plate

2. grate some orange zest on top

3. sprinkle with white tea leaves

3. place an iris next to the plate

that's 13

obviously my nose can't pick out notes very well :P this is an extremely intricate blend, and although i can't see myself wearing it very often, i have to keep it because it's amazing

13.jpg

Bottle: Chocolate oranges, those ones you get at Christmas.

Wet: Chocolate oranges with a hint of darker berry. This is a very creamy chocolate, not the dark, dusty cocoa in some other blends. This is more like a really strong unrefined cocoa butter. I feel like I’m getting a tinge of honey out of this blend as well. Its golden sweet.

Drying: Hint of powder. There is a bit of floral coming ot this, I think. Its still predominantly chocolate, but I'm getting a not similar to that in florence, which I can only assume is the iris. The floral makes it smell like clean chocolate, which sounds weird, but I like it…

Dry: Chocolate cherries, dipped in orange honey, and a lone iris lying next to the plate of decadence. That's what it smells like to me. I really like it.

The late drydown is a honeyed chocolate with a slightly powdery iris? note.

Overall: This lasts 6-7 hours, and I catch glorious whiffs of it every time I move my arms. Its not a perfume I would wear often (too foody/sweet, and I don't pull off chocolate well for everyday purposes), but I think it will be a great comfort scent, and I might put some in a lotion…

I need to compare this to some of my other chocolate blends.

ETA: Its a year and 5 months later. When I tried this on today, it was still quite chocolatey, but the orange was less. I got orange in teh beginning, but now there is a great deal more currant evident. Along with a slight woodsy note to ground it. Still very yummy, and the most chocolatey of the 13's I've tried so far (haven't tried July 07 yet).

Edited by jewelbug

I just got my frist order today, and naturally had to try 13 first. Was deffinatley not a let down.

In the bottle: Has this chocolate and this sweetness that I could not identify. The chocolate smell to me smelt almost nutty, so I thought it might be hazelnut. I also thought the sweet smell was similar smelling to those little raspberry chewie lollies/candy, but it also smelt like some sort of liqeur that you get in chocolates. However, coming on here I have realised that the smell was deffinatley the orange I smelt. :D

Wet: Not as sharp as it smelt in the bottle and the nutty/chocolateness goes away.

Dry: Much softer scent. Most of the orange has gone away, and left a kind of a flowery/soapy smell, with still a tiny bit of orangeness. Reminds me of those craft shops that sell scented towels and pot porri things. :D It has a kind of tipical inscence-y smell to it. I'm not good at picking exact smells.

I only put a tiny dab on and I'm much to impatient to wait for 30 mins. Must go try the others now! :P

Edited by ohvanity

In the bottle, this is a sweet white chocolate scent.

Wet, it's still white chocolate, with a hint of that tangerine in the description.

Dry, this changes into a lovely scent - is there orange blossom in this? I love orange blossom, and I swear it smell like a mix of that and white chocolate. Floral with a little foody sweetness. Yum. There are a few other things floating in there - the iris can be found, and maybe the tea, though I'm not sure of that. It's nice, though!

Overall, I like this one! I was surprised - I thought it'd be too foody for me - but no, the chocolate doesn't overwhelm and the fruits don't really come out. Additionally, as I said, I love orange blossom, but most of the scents it's in don't work for me. This one does. It's not a top 10 favorite, but it is up there, and I'm really glad I risked getting a bottle.

Rating: 8/10

In the bottle:

I bought this despite not particularly liking chocolate scents but "13" is my birthday so call me sentimental. In the bottle it smells just like chocolate orange fondue.

Initial Scent (on skin):

Initially very creamy and I get a strong chocolate scent (milky almost) with a hin of orange.

Staying Power:

After a bit the chocolate is tamed by a bright orangey scent. This lasted maybe 1.5 horus on me without the need to reapply.

yes, i say yes to 13! triskadekaphiliacs rejoice!

I'm completely enamoured with 13 -- it smells chocolate-y primarily, with little flashes of other scents popping out from time to time- oranges, maybe something nutty, something quasi-floral -- not sure, but it's definitely one of those "omg, must.stop.smelling.my.wrists." blends.

I was worried about this one a bit when it arrived straight from the lab, it seemed a little sharp, but the couple weeks of sitting in the dark seems to have done it a world of good. I'll be slathering this one, for sure.

In the imp: strong artificial fruity scent, reminds me of the old Fruity Pebbles cereal

On me, wet: Fruity Pebbles plus the cocoa scent of Centzon Totochtin or Velvet; not working well

Dry: Barely perceptible sweetness

Verdict: Not for me. Pity.

Where the first 13 is white chocolate on me, with a nibble of mandarin, the newer 13 is strong, aggressive milk chocolate, with a heavy dose of oranges. I was thinking it smelled like one of those chocolate oranges you whack open, but my husband hit it on the head with his "orange Tootsie Roll" diagnosis. (I was relieved to see that other reviewers mentioned the similarity as well, because sometimes my nose seems really bizarre.) It is nice, because this is a chocolate that doesn't turn to pencil shavings on my skin -- it's like I imagine Bliss smells like on most people, with the addition of the orange scent.

I like it a lot; I don't love it enough to buy a full bottle, but I'm keeping the imp for when I crave chocolatey goodness, and I'm interested in seeing how it ages.

Definitely a soft rich white chocolate. Then a tangy fruitish almost violet smelling scent emerges. It is a strange mix with the white chocolate, vague tanginess with creamy sweetness. But I do like this and will be keeping the bottle.