Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lusty myrtle and jasmine with red sandalwood, stargazer lily, and clove over an opulent, rich bed of warm musk and bourbon vanilla.

ITI: not bad, kinda indistinct.

Wet: Gardenia? Warm floral, something sweet. pikake? *looks it up* Jasmine! But not cloying like it can get on me.

Dry: Nice. The floral and vanilla is balancing the sandalwood out nicely.

Not a beloved, but a keeper.

I'm not sure what it is but lately all the imps I've been trying have been wonderful in the bottle and bad on me. Maybe I'm having a bad skin-chemistry day :P

In the bottle I loved this. Soft and femine. So much so that I slathered it on (something I don't normally do).

Now I regret that decision because all I smell is plastic soap. I think its the jasmine. Jasmine must not like me. Or maybe the lily.

Oh well...I tried :/

In the vial this is a sweet, uplifting floral over a rounded base – it is not a cold floral, rather it is soothing yet prevalent. On my skin, this lovely scent starts to warm up as sandalwood and musk sometimes do, while the sweetness of the florals - and the bourbon vanilla which peeks out - are gorgeously blended to give the warm scent a deliciously sweet lift that becomes more rounded over time. After a few hours, this is a sweetly floral, warm, musky scent that, though faded, will continue to last for quite some time on my skin.

What? There’s jasmine in this?

Funny, the first time I sniffed Peitho, I’d read the notes, and I could sniff the jasmine right away, though it wasn’t as JASMINE! I GOT YER JASMINE RIGHT HERE! as jasmine usually is on me. It waved a big hello right at the start, but then went into the background to mingle with the other notes, who'd quickly gathered around.

Actually, I think it was the myrtle that threw me off the scent the second time around, about four months after my first try. And on this second try, I didn’t read the notes. I had absolutely no idea what I was smelling. After crossing off in my mind what it wasn’t, I ended up with maybe a white floral, a slightly spicy, baby powdered, white floral.

Oh, right. THERE it is!

So, upon reading the notes again, it was an “Ohhhhhh, ahhhhhh, I see.” moment. Yep, definitely jasmine, but mixed in with the unfamiliar myrtle and stargazer lily, and the bourbon vanilla, which provides a dark, powdery vanilla base for it all to rest on. The clove isn’t noticeable as clove, but does lend a bit of spice. I can hardly sniff the sandalwood at all. But all those notes still stop me from feeling this is a mostly jasmine perfume, even though I think that's what my nose is mostly smelling.

It’s definitely a very beautiful perfume, long-lasting, and stays mostly the same on me from beginning to end, as a rounded, powdery floral that is heady at the start, but softens gorgeously, with a final drydown of soft powder, mostly jasmine. Part of me quite likes it and is intrigued by how it smells so pretty and quite different, yet reminiscent of something I’ve smelt in my past. But another part is not thrilled, not grabbed by the whole thing or certain notes that make me melt and sigh, so ultimately, Peitho is not for me.

Oh, I'm so disappointed! This was a frimp from the Lab, and I read the notes in this going "hmm." "yes. yes. yes!"

And then I saw clove. ; ;

This is gorgeous in the imp, all jasmine and sandalwood, and lots of other notes I like a lot. I wish I could wear it, because I think I'd love it, but it's off to the swap pile because I'm allergic to clove. :P

I got this as a frimp from the lab and was hoping the jasmine would play nice on me this time. I was looking to get some of the sandalwood, musk, and vanilla...but no. Peitho *almost* worked for me- the jasmine was behaving itself and not amping like crazy or morphing into department store perfume- but there was another sinister note that ended up ruining this scent. I got a very acrid, biting note of something that made me think of old cat pee- very much like ammonia and not pleasant. I managed to wear Peitho for about 10 minutes before I had to wash it off. :P

In the imp: Sweet floral, nice enough but a bit non descript.

Wet: Jasmine! And another floral I don't recognise. But jasmine jasmine jasmine! I love jasmine.

Drydown: This really warms up a lot, and all the other notes rise up to meet the jasmine. I can't pick individual ones out, it's just too well blended. The jasmine is still the most dominant scent though.

Dry: The most subdued jasmine I have ever met. I can pick up the lightest of musks now, along with the other florals and the warmth and sweetness of vanilla, even though it doesn't really smell like vanilla either. It's almost powdery, but in a very good way. Amazingly the vanilla doesn't "separate" and outlast everything else, which it often does on me. This is incredibly well balanced and blended.

This is quite a feminine scent, and is sexy in a quietly seductive come hither to bed way. It's also a perfect first day of Spring scent.

In short I love this in all it's stages, and this will be a 5ml for sure.

Edited by Trishek

I'm glad I tried Peitho, because I'm finally learning to pick out individual notes, and this one was really fun to sniff and identify and enjoy.

I get jasmine (which I love), and can smell the vanilla and the sandalwood. The clove and musk I'm not so sure I can locate...

Unfortunately, there is also a note that goes horrid on me - I think it may be the myrtle. Whatever it is, my skin does not like it, and it turns into a very strong, repulsive odor. Unwearable. :P

*is sad*

ADDED Dec. 3:

I blame my nose, here, as this smells (in the imp, wet and dry) like, um, regurgitated burnt tires?

I'm glad this is lovely on others because it's truly rank on me. :D

I eagerly anticipated my imp of Peitho, as I've been looking for a GC scent that will give me at least SOME of the same notes as Khajuraho, which I LOVELOVELOVED.

In the vial: OK, yes, white flowers and a somewhat woodsy base. I very much notice the stargazer lily with the jasmine....it adds an almost rank, wet aroma. Very lush and floral, no spices, no vanilla, and very little wood.

Wet: All white flowers at first, then the sandalwood starts to warm up and peek out a bit. Still no vanilla to speak of, no spice, no musk, and I'm not sure what myrtle smells like, but I don't smell anything that I think might be that.

Dry: My skin eats this quick, like many of the Lab's white floral-y blends. I got a tiny hint of the notes I loved so much in Khajuraho, but it fades even more quickly than that blend did. On me, the notes that could have made this a more complex scent never bloomed. Sad.

It's nice, but I'll probably not go all big bottle on it. I'll try my imp again, however, and see if time is kind to it.

Several hours later: This went pretty soapy on me at the very end if I really put my nose to my wrist and snuffed mightily. But it was so faint that I didn't find it offputting in any way.

In the vial: wow, there's not words for that...

On the skin: Something about the mix of myrtle and lily... is very bad to my nose.

The notes sounded very interesting--an exotic jasmine-vanilla scent, but on contact with my skin.... Hmm. Not so exotic. The jasmine bloomed on my skin, and I was afraid that was all it was going to be--but nope! In a few minutes, the vanilla kicked in, and turned a wet jasmine into a creamy jasmine-vanilla. I might have detected the faintest traces of sandalwood, but it was mostly this cozy, warm, jasmine and vanilla bean duo. Very lovely, but not very me.... The scent was something your mother might have worn when you were little, the milky sweetness of her hugs, and the gentle warmth.

This is a sweet, heady floral with a touch of spice (although I don't see spice in the description, so maybe I'm just going crazy). For a jasmine blend, it behaves itself nicely, but it's still just a little too floral for me.

Peitho:

I'll do a proper review of this one laters ^_&

It's very vanilla & jasmine oriented.

It seems to warm on my skin to almost an amberish note, but the vanilla and jasmine are always very prevalent on me.

I have to admit that I'm always a little leary of wearing this one - not because of anything related to the quality of it or it's beauty..... mostly I am afraid to wear it because the last time I did, I was at the dentists' office.

It's just a tad nerve-wraking when you are lying there on laughing gas with a guy in a mask holding a high-pitched drill over your head & saying "wow, you smell good "

creepy :D

but I do love this perfume, despite the scary scent association I have with it now. :D* :P

This sounds like a hell of a scent – let's see what I can make of it in the bottle.

Oh, this is pure t!ts-out sex, people. Musk and bourbon swimming with flowers, and just a brush of sweet incense. The jasmine fronts the flowers, but it has a tooth.

It goes on floral with a harsh rasp of something resinous . . . then evens out to a positively bewitching, intricate, dangerously sexy floral. There's an edge to it that is not at all nice, an almost unpleasant sharpness somewhere in the middle third, and that sharpness takes it from pleasant to fascinating, the way a beauty mark can really pin down a face. This slightly "off" note is what makes the scent so arresting. I'm not getting overt vanilla but the whole has a unified creaminess that I associate with vanilla's influence. The clove is a faint dash of spice in the scent's aftertaste – and I think it, along with the slightly-funereal lily, is what is making this really dance.

This is the kind of ruthless sexiness that spits booze into your mouth, slaps you around a little, squeezes your head between her thighs, and rakes the s**t out of you with her nails when you're on top of her. The kind of sexy that starts out rough and ends up with both of you purring like kittens and drooling on one another in the aftermath. The kind of sex, say, I was lucky enough to get after putting it on.

Yeah.

The musk and booze are genius. Without them, this would be sweet and sort of wistful. With them, this is agonizingly sexual. Like bottled blue balls. Wow-meow!

Why this scent doesn't get more play I can't say; it's a showstopper. Wearing it, I feel powerfully sexy, like I could get anything I wanted out of anyone with just a look and a gesture. Very hot, very intense, and very me.

The only scent I can pick out in here is the jasmine, but it's not that strong on me, it's just that all the other notes blend so smoothly that I can't distinguish them. The jasmine is creamy and soft here, not aggressive. (I do love jasmine, but sometimes I find it pushy.) It smells absolutely lovely, but it's so sophisticated, I feel strange wearing it, because that's just not really me. I'm going to keep the imp, though, for the occasional days when I feel like faking chicness! :P

In the bottle: Jasmine. A little clove, and Stargazer lily.

On my skin;Wow. Lots of Jasmine and Stargazer Lily. Lol I was not aware that there was an oil of Stargazer. Just like I stuck my head in a bundle of freshly opened blooms.

On drydown; Still the two are most predominant, but I am getting more Clove now, and maybe a little of the Sandalwood.

I am going to have to try this one again at a later time. I am feeling overwhelmed by the BIG two. :P

Peitho is a sweet floral for sure.

It's soft and very pretty.

Reminds me of Eternal, even though the notes in each are very different.

It turns kinda soapy on me though, so it might be better in a burner where its sweet clean flowers can bloom better.

Oh yes, there is an undertone of vanilla there. this gives it a little creaminess. I bet this is why I thought i smelled gardenia. but i'm not getting the sandalwood and clove. maybe my skin just makes the Jasmine burst forth and hide everything else.

When it's wet, I think: "Wow, that's pretty!" I love the musk and bourbon vanilla. It smells so sweet and creamy. But then as it dries the floral notes just get stronger and stronger. It ends up being mainly a lush floral with only a little bit of creaminess underneath. *pout* If it had stayed at that initial wet stage, it coulda been a contender.

I like this more than I like many florals... but I also like a few other florals more than this one. It is quite pretty and soft after a couple of hours, so I'll probably keep the imp around to give it another whirl some other day.

In the bottle: Generic floral, pretty, a little richer and darker than the bouncy-floral of my Terpsichore imp.

Wet: Mmmmmm, flowers. Sweet and mature. Mainly getting the stargazer lily (which I love) and jasmine.

Dry: Still lily-and-jasmine, with just the faintest hint of vanilla underneath it all. The scent also turns powdery-sweet as it dries, but not to the extent of drowning out the base notes.

I may not order a bottle of this, but I'll enjoy my imp.

In the bottle: Very jasmine. I think I detect a hint of the musk.

Wet: Jasmine gets stonger but I'm getting a hint of clove. And baby powder.

Dry. Jasmine scented baby powder. Eh.

Bottle: Bold, sweet, musky.

Skin: Hello jasmine. Hello lily. Syrupy floral, sticky sweet.

Dry down: Very warm and dusty floral with a sticky sweet kicker. Jasmine stays true. I was hoping for more spice.

This is a dusty, syrupy, floral-perfumy blend. I am a big fan of jasmine! Not so much the lily. Sticky sweet flowers are headache inducers. I really can't pick out the clove or bourbon vanilla.

This blend is definitely more for the ladies (although that's never stopped me before). Peitho has a strong throw and clings for dear life. I love the smell of it, but it's a little too overwhelming and perfumy for me to wear. A keeper for now, but a only for using in a diffuser.

Ugh, department store perfume. I can tell something is lurking in the background wanting to break free of the perfume, but it's so faint I can't even tell what it is.

You know, every now and then there are scents that just don't register to your nose, and Peitho is one of them for me. In the imp everything is a huge muddle, and I can't pick out anything in particular. It almost disappears on my skin when I put it on, and when I sniff the area later, all I pick up is a faint jasmine. I'm sure this will reveal its complexity on someone else, so it's off to swaps.

780892355_CMibT-Ti.jpg

In the imp: Floral, not too sweet. Jasmine...uh-oh.

Wet on skin: uh-oh. The floral notes are still there, but there's vanilla coming through and that doesn't do well on me, amping up unbearably sweet. The jasmine is also not playing nicely, being sour but not offsetting the vanilla's sweetness, alas, merely adding to the unpleasantness of the total scent. :P

Dry: Vanilla! Lots of vanilla with jasmine.

Verdict: oh well. Another for the trade pile. At least this wasn't a purchase, but a frimp from someone.

On to the next imp du jour...

Edited by stellans