Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

<div class="bpal" style="background-color:transparent; border: 1px dotted #000033; color: #000099; padding: 5px; width: 90%; align:center;margin:0 auto 0 auto">The Goddess of Persuasion, Seduction and Sexual Wiles. A member of Aphrodite’s retinue, she is also Aphrodite’s daughter and sister to Tyche and Eunomia. Lusty myrtle and jasmine with red sandalwood, stargazer lily, and clove over an opulent, rich bed of warm musk and bourbon vanilla.</div>

Peitho was one of the very first imps that I ordered because I liked the name and I didn't know that I can't wear florals. So, I tried it 4 months ago, deemed it too old-lady-ish and sadly put it away.

Recently I have come back to it because I'm having terrible luck with florals and I need something more spring/summery (hey, it's coming eventually). In my initial notes I had remarked that it didn't turn to sour dead plants on me unlike practically every other floral and I am tired of being told that I smell "like incense" every freakin' day no matter what I wear.

Well, I have to say that I do like this. I think this is about as light and floral as I am going to be able to go, and it is very pretty. Normally, I amp jasmine to a sickening degree :D but it is actually present and yet polite in this blend. The throw is mostly jasmine and lily and girly and pretty. Next to my skin is a lovely light vanilla musk.

I'm so happy I can smell like a girl when I want to. :P (that's me in the bow). I'm getting a 5ml.

UPDATE: Peitho is still one of the very few florals in my collection. I don't turn to it very often because I gravitate to resins and woods and foody scents. Nearly two years later I pulled it out on a whim and wore it today. I am in utter lust with this blend. It has sweetened and mellowed. The vanilla did that magical thing and the jasmine is a positive delight. This went from being a solid 3.5 to a five star blend. O Beth! How I love you! :D

I'm ordering another bottle for cellaring!

PS: if you like this, or almost like this, you might like Eos

Edited by Hoyden

In the imp: floral. Not sure what the notes are. Smells kinda tropical and nice.

On me, wet: whaaoaoah, oh no. This isn't going well. I'm amping like everything in this scent. My husband can smell the tiny dab on me several feet away and agrees that it is NOT a pleasant smell. It's transformed from the peaceful tropical floral in the bottle into a raging old lady department store perfume on me. Yiiikes.

On me, dry: no, this isn't getting any better on me. It's nauseating. My skin doesn't dig this. I have to scrub this off.

Throw and duration: throw is overwhelming. No idea on duration, because i had to scrub it off.

Overall: Other than Peitho, I've had super good luck with the Lab's florals and haven't had any problem with their jasmine before this. And i love their lilies. So my theory is... it's either the vanilla or the myrtle that's turning this into a monster on me. Yikes. This just smells plain old bad on me.

On the upside, this was really, really easy to scrub off. Surprisingly so for how wicked strong this was on me.

Smells fine in the imp, so i think it's just me. The rest of the imp'll be going off to a better home.

Achoo! This really made me sneeze.

I was hoping for musk, clove, vanilla, and sandalwood with a hint of florals. Instead? All floral, all the time....well, until I wore it for several hours and got a tiny bit of vanilla. Way too much flowers for my tastes unfortunately. Glad I only have an imp. This is not bottle-worthy for me.

I should have known, since the first few ingredients listed are florals. Usually I amp clove and vanilla, but not this time for some reason.

Edited by scarletgenesis

In Vial: strongly myrtle flower

On Skin: Myrtle with Jasmine

Later: This is mostly myrtle flower on me and not much else. The smell is kind of soft and powdery but a scent you would need to know you really liked before buying a bottle.

In imp: Wow, this smells like my Aunt! :P

Wet: Very cosmetic smell. Like face powder mixed with a bit of shampoo.

Dry: More powdery. Feels like an embrace by an eldery relative when I was a child.

Verdict: A bit sharp for my personal preference. Its a smell I like, but don't think I'd like to wear on a regular basis, if at all.

Marks out of 10: 5

In the imp this is STRONG jasmine. It is by far the strongest note on first sniff.

On my skin the sandalwood starts to come out which is unsurprising because I amp anything -wood. This scent is very strong and almost pungent. All I get is jasmine and sandalwood...no vanilla and no clove ):

I like jasmine, but it was far too overwhelming in this blend. This wasn't a bad blend, it was just too strong for me and didn't go well with my skin chemistry.

Got this as a frimp recently. (I really need to go through my imps and finish up my reviews! :P )

Initial Impression: mostly jasmine with a hint of sweetness

On Wet: JASMINE!

On Dry: OH HAI!! IZ JASMINE!!!!

Final Impression: :D

Vanilla jasmine. It seems to get better the longer it dries--it's the jasmine that likes me--but it's not my favorite combination. It's a must for jasmine lovers though!

Lemon poundcake, liberally dusted with confectioners' sugar, a bouquet of jasmine on each side.

This is a suprising blend: the jasmine does not turn to plastic (as usual) and the clove does not amp like baked ham. The throw grows as I wear it, but I think something in this is giving me a headache. The jasmine note reminds me a lot of Defututa, but no headache with that one....

wet/in the imp: jasmine always smells stinky to me and this one is no exception.

it has other notes that give the stinky jasmine scent more depth, but i'm going to pass on trying this one.

In the vial: Mmmm. Myrtle with sweet floral (lily?) and vanilla. I wasn't sure I'd like this, but so far I love it.

Wet: The jasmine dominates, but the myrtle sticks around. Sandalwood and a bit of musk beneath that. I hope it doesn't die back into just jasmine, because the complexity is enjoyable.

Half an hour: Musk, sandalwood, lily, vanilla, with just a tinge of myrtle. It's warm and sweet; a bit musky, but I like it.

One hour: Musk, vanilla, and a little something floral/herbal in the background. Still quite warm and sweet, but not pungent. I find it comforting, the sort of thing I'd want to wear en famille or on holidays at home.

Two hours: Hey, I notice the clove now! It's spicier, a bit sweeter, more vanilla and less musky now. Hardly any floral quality to it, but a hint of myrtle still. Still like it.

Five hours: Warm sweet spicy (musk vanilla clove), but very subdued. No floral or myrtle, and the sandalwood was clearly in over its head from the very beginning. I like this enough to wear it from time to time, but not well enough to get a big bottle of it just yet.

in the imp: sweet floral with a brandy under current.

wet on skin: heavy jasmine, and a touch of gardenia.

dry down: yep. jasmine.

in all: i'm not a huge floral fan personally, but this is a lovely jasmine and if you are a fan of this flower, you will likely swoon from this representation of it.

:P

BPAL seems to be talented at sending me frimps that I would never ever think I'd like to order on my own. This was one-- anything with more than one or maybe two floral notes usually frightens me away-- but it turned out a success. It's not something I'm in raptures over, but it's quite nice. It's a slightly damp, almost... dirty? floral. Jasmine, as most people have pointed out, is the strongest thing going on here, but the musk and clove make it... murky. I can see why this would be associated with sex and seduction. It's a scent that exudes a sort of quiet, composed power.

Peitho is that rarest of BPAL blends... one that works the way it's supposed to on my skin and that I still don't like. Usually my dislike of a BPAL can be attributed to my skin turing it to powder or soap...etc. Peitho stays true on my skin. The vanilla and musk are yummy, grounding the heady florals. The florals (even the jasmine) behave themselves. The result is really quite nice.

And yet I don't particularly like Peitho.

I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's because the florals aren't ones I like in perfume form (I <3 fresh jasmine). The scent is supposed to be heady and seductive and it is... but I prefer my seductive scents to come sweetened with honey rather than lightened with flowers.

If the notes sound good to you, give it a go! I gave my imp to a friend and she loves it.

Peitho is gorgeous!! Starts out as a blast of jasmine and sandalwood. Dries soft and warm and lush. I get jasmine, sandalwood, myrrh and vanilla. This is a winter scent (imo) and I WILL be using it then. Lovely.

In the Imp: Jasmine

On the Skin: Jasmine. I have a lot of trouble smelling past jasmine. It is perhaps a touch musky.

After a While: Jasmine.

Verdict: Though I do like jasmine, it's so overpowering that I really can't wear it without getting a bit of a headache. Bummer!

Peitho

I tried it twice -- first just casually with a teeny dab in the evening, second time for a full day. Slightly different experiences, apparently because of the amounts I applied.

In the imp: Jasmine. Well, actually, more like JASMINE!!

Wet: Exactly the same. Jasmine rules, and no one's coming out til she's ready.

When I wore the teeny dab:

15 mins later: is that vanilla peeking out? Wow...can it usurp jasmine?

17 mins later: Apparently not. Jasmine is queen bee here.

1 hr: starting to blend a bit -- I get jasmine and vanilla, and maybe something else, but I can't pick it out. Something a touch sweet.

2 hr: Where'd jasmine go? She's stepped down from the throne and left the country. Now it's just a subtle vanilla with that something-else added. Warm, soft, but very subtle.

When I put on more:

3 hrs: Jasmine all the way. Jasmine, jasmine, jasmine. Ruling all with no break.

5 hrs: Pretty faded, but still all jasmine. Sharper than when it was fresh. I thought I caught a glimpse of vanilla plotting to overthrow Queen Jasmine, but that never came to anything. There may be some other notes underneath the jasmine, but nothing I can be sure of. This is Jasmine Country!

The jasmine is glaringly strong in this blend. It's a bright, tangy, girly jasmine....the polar opposite of Nyx. Unfortunately, I am not so hot on jasmine. Musk, Bourbon vanilla, where are you?! I love you!

:P

Nowhere to be found on my skin.

ETA: Ok, 15 minutes in and I am getting some of the musk and vanilla now. But the wet stage is such a jasmine party that I don't know if I will ever want to wear this.

Edited by nightbiscuit

Wet, it is all all all Lily and Jasmine. Drying, the same. I'm hoping the other notes show up soon.

Dry it is still mostly lily and jasmine, but, I think the vanilla and musk are peeking out.

Straight from the imp, the bourbon vanilla in this is beautiful but the jasmine of dooooooooooooooom takes over far too quickly. Dammit.

Brand new frimp from the Lab

In the bottle:

jasmine and sandalwood with a hint of spice

Wet:

Jasmine jumps out first (that's ok, I love jasmine), and I can smell the lily as well. Interesting.. up close it's pure floral, hints of sandalwood and something I'm guessing is the myrtle. From a distance, I get the musk and bourbon but it disappears as soon as I focus on it.

Drydown:

Jasmine and sandalwood and musk - the scents play well together to create a sophisticated perfume type scent. I like it though it though I'm not sure how memorable it is.

A couple hours later its suddenly lilies and making me sneeze.

I'd have liked to have gotten more of the bourbon vanilla - and maybe it will eventually show up, but if it does, this is a long strange route to get there.

I'm going to put this imp away to age awhile and see what that does for it.

In bottle/imp: Spicy florals and jasmine with a very warm, musky vanilla background.

Immediately on skin: This is a very smooth, almost smoky floral blend with a nice amount of creamy warmth. I get the smooth, cool tone of the lily and the smoky jasmine, but they’re blended almost seamlessly together.

After a little while: This is starting to remind me a lot of the Oval Portrait, so it might be the stargazer lily that I’m mostly getting from this, along with the vanilla and musk (The OP also has stargazer lily and vanilla musk). This is a sweet, cool floral blend with a warm musky vanilla background. There’s a bit of light smokiness from the jasmine, and the red sandalwood adds a richness to the musk and vanilla.

Overall Impressions: I really like this, but like The Oval Portrait I don’t think it’s me. This is a gorgeous scent with a sweet, cool, and warm feel going on. It may sound contradictory, but it really does feel that way. The florals add a very cool tone, and then the musk, sandalwood, and vanilla give this a warm, creamy base. I don’t get much clove in this, but that’s one of those notes that seem to disappear on my skin.