Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Indian sandalwood and cedar, and the dry incense smoke of olibanum, gum mastic, patchouli and myrrh.

Very smoky patchouli on my skin. Definitely not working for me.

Wet, this smells almost like vetiver, but after it dries, a strong, dry woody incense. This ends up being a very resinous blend, no sweetness, kind of dry with a vague spicy feel. I'm not really digging this blend, I like my incense with certain florals or amber. Nice to try though!

I just got this one at the Madison meet 'n' sniff, and I had to try it today.

In the imp: The incense and cedar are the strongest notes I can pick up. I liked this one at first sniff yesterday.

On skin: The cedar gets a bit stronger than the incense, and reminds me a little of Baghdad for it. That's not a bad thing. :)

On drydown: The pachouli I think? and something sweeter/tropical that almost reminds me of Mouse's Long and Sad Tale make their presences known, though the cedar, as well as hints of the incense and sandalwood are still there, especially if I don't sniff my arm too closely.

I'm liking this one. I'll be hanging onto it and wearing it, that I know. :) This mellows after an hour or so, and then the cedar starts to get stronger again. Mmmm.

Wet, Sri Lanka is all bright green cedar one me. As it dries, the myrrh and sandalwood come out and soften the scent. Luckily for me the patchouli is so well blended that I can't pick it out as a single note. This is a soft, sweet, dreamy wood scent on me with good staying power but not very much throw. I think I will probably end up converting this into a spray so I can smell like this all over.

Imp: I smell sandalwood, incense and resins. Very powdery, dusty, woodsy and spicy.

Wet: Dry sandalwood. Very powdery and light.

Dry: Dry sandalwood and incense. Simple nice blend but a bit boring.

In the Imp (ITI): Oooh, woody and resinous. This shall be good. I can pick out the earthy patchouli, the sandalwood, and the olibanum, flanked on all sides by older cedar.

Wet: Delicious resins burning in a wooden pagoda. Myrrh now is melding well with the sandalwood, incense, and the olibanum, while the cedar hangs on the periphery, enclosing everything in a lovely, well-rounded scent. Okay, I’m sad this was just discontinued.

Dry: It’s beautifully warm in its incense-based qualities. Sandalwood and myrrh harmonize with the patchouli and olibanum perfectly. The cedar isn’t evident anymore, but I’m okay with that. I wish I had a bottle!

In the imp: PATCHOULI Lanka.

Wet: Cedar and sweet incense. This is pretty much identical to Kathmandu.

Dry: Like Kathmandu, but with a patchouli kick. I prefer Kathmandu, which also has the benefit of not being discontinued! (she said, dickishly.)

Light and resinous. I'm not getting much sweetness from the incense, but it's not bitter either. If anything, this is patchouli with a slight waxiness. Probably the gum mastic. Although it's woodsy, it's a very "clean" scent.

Simply going by the notes I should love this, but it feels as if something's missing. Like Honey said, I guess it comes across as a bit boring to me. I've been spoiled by the many weird and wonderful combinations from BPAL that use all of these notes in more interesting ways.

Doesn't last on me long at all, which is surprising since resins tend to cling. Stayed for about 30 min?

It kept reminding me of another oil. Pretty sure I'm thinking of La Mano del Destino. But where Mano's patch had really seductive tobacco and cacao to back it up, this just kind of sits there. To me it comes across as a (lovely) wooden table versus something a human should smell like. Also similar to Aziraphale, but darker and with no musk. Would be a nice room scent.

Got this as an imp off ebay.

In bottle: Vetiver. Already excited!

Wet: More vetiver, with hints of cedar.

Drydown/Dry: The vetiver vanishes to cedar and sandalwood - think Azathoth, but not as orange/citrusy.

This is worth a bottle if you like woodsy colognes.

I decided to give this one a go, not realizing it was discontinued (because I frimped away the imp I had -- more on that in a minute).

In the Imp: woodsy, warm, inviting. It wants me to try it. It's begging me.

Wet, applied: Mm ... okay, I'm really digging on this. Still with the woodsy vibe, but now I'm starting to get where people talk about how this is a more masculine scent.

Dried, several hours later: I can't stop huffing my wrist. I really wish this was on a guy, because I'm pretty sure I'd jump him right about now.

Definitely too masculine for me to wear (hence why it was frimped), but DAMN. I need a moment; or three.

Wow, this is lovely. Woody, warm, slightly spicy. A bit smoky, but just sweet enough that I really enjoy it. Beautiful! I wonder how difficult it would be to track down more...the sandalwood in this is one of the best I have ever smelled.

Sri Lanka has the feeling of fresh woods on me.  Usually sandalwood smells like it was harvested years ago and has been well cured until it is bone dry, but Sri Lanka smells like walking through a sandalwood and cedar clearcut just after the incense-burning lumberjacks have departed, stomping on patchouli bushes as they did so.  Green woods and warm, dry incense, really lovely, and I got a little more throw from this than my skin chemistry usually allows.  

In the imp: Smooth woods and patchouli. Sandalwood doesn't surprise me, but I'm not picking up the cedar, which can often show up gunky on me. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's much the same as in the bottle. It's quiet on my skin. As it dries, I can pick out the faintest tingle of incense smoke, along with some myrrh, making more complex than just sandalwood-patchouli. Given time to develop, the olibanum and myrrh become more prominent. Though the sandalwood and patchouli are still strong base notes, the resins are more balanced with them now. 

This is probably a little too wood-heavy for me to love, but it's a very nicely done blend. 

Forum purchase.  

My love of wood made me jump at the chance when this bottle came up for sale,  & I am not disappointed.  I don't know how old this bottle is, but it's old enough to be SMOOOOOOTH. The sandalwood & cedar are the dominant notes. The olibanum, gum mastic, patchouli & myrrh have melded together into a sweet, resinous & spicy background. 

This is one of the blends, like Wulric, that seems to vary with changes to my skin chemistry & the environment. Some days it's fantastic, & others it's kind of flat. It works better on cold, dry days than warm humid ones.