Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pensive

Bastet's Laughter

Anoint red, orange, and yellow candles with this blend and light throughout the home to banish ill-fortune, eliminate poverty and want, and infuse the atmosphere with hope and happiness.

Miss Lynx got this for me for my birthday last month and I must say it works Really Damn Well!

For the past two weeks, my sweet little kitty has been in the hospital hooked up to IV fluids and being syringe-fed. She had developped fatty liver disease. She is home now (as of today) and seems to be doing much better now, despite the biopsy and the addition of a stomach tube for feeding. It's been a very emotionally trying time.

I found that whenever I wore Bastet's Laughter, I would feel more light-hearted when I visited her and more able to focus on giving healing energy and much-needed love to my kitty, rather than being bogged down with financial worries and worries about whether my little Miko would ever get better.

It helped me concentrate on the good and the positive and it brightened my day considerably.

Also, as a scent in and of itself, it works surprisingly well on my skin! Extra bonus. :P

Bubblegum Lotus high note (which makes me giddy every time I smell it) that fades into a complex assortment of scents that is really difficult for me to sort out. What is left on my skin hours and hours later is a beautiful, faint sweetness that vaguely resembles tonka.

Thumbs up on both counts. Yay!

Bastet's Laughter...came to me by way of wickedgoddess...many months ago she was nice enough to sell me a decant...thank you soo much :P

Initial sniff from imp: Candy sweet...kind of like fruity sweet hard candy...maybe watermelon??? Maybe apricot??? Maybe white grape??? I am not so good at identifying fruits but it has the feel of Jolly Ranchers...definitely a sugary and fruity feel to this.

Applied wet on skin: Hey..where did the fruity sweetness go??? It was there for just a second and then..I get a warmth from this..almost like a skin scent..it kind of went MIA on my skin..it's a touch sweet..so maybe there is some amber here??? Usually amber is amped with my skin..but right now..I am hard-pressed to figure out what I am smelling.

Five minutes on skin: Oh THERE you are candy/fruity/sweetness..you re-appeared again..and I still have that touch of warmness..so maybe this is amber and lotus??? Usually lotus becomes the huge bubblegum gorilla on me and right now..all I am getting is candy/fruity/sweetness..it kind of reminds me of Aunt Caroline's Mojo..and I suspect anybody who lilkes fruity/sweet fragrances would like this. It is definitely a happy scent. You can't brood with this on..hahahahaahahahahahaha :D

Definitely not like Bastet at all..and normally not the type of scent I would gravitate towards wearing..but so far..so good.

Thirty minutes later: Still the same notes going on pretty strong.

Hour later: The whole melange has softened somewhat..but still has some presence.

Two hours later:Poof...almost all gone.

Lasting power..again..a bit short..2-3 hours..with the throw again soft.

Bottom Line:Bastet's Laughter could put anyone in a good mood. The playful light-hearted fragrance is very uplifting..very positive. A bit too fruity and sweet for my tastes..but amazing on someone who embraces the sweet side of life.. :D. I am grateful I had the chance to try this.

I am becoming addicted to this oil. I haven't used it in rituals or anything. I've been dabbing it on before work. I'm going through a kind of stressful, rough patch and decided to give this a try. I sometimes mix it with some unscented hair serum and run it through my hair. It is very uplifting and calming. I feel much more balanced when I'm I'm wearing it and it gives me the lift I need in the morning to start another day.

I have not tried this as a perfume, since I am aware that it's meant as a ritual blend only, and am conscientious of its sacred properties. It had been sitting in my TAL box, untouched, because I was having trouble finding the right colour candles (I know that sounds nuts, but for some reason coloured candles are nearly impossible to find in my area at this time of year!)

I've been ill for a couple of weeks and have had some major blows to my confidence and feelings of security recently, so when my husband came home with three candles- orange, red, and yellow- I couldn't wait to try it. My dressed candles are burning as I write this review.

It smells lovely on the burning candles- to me, it's definitely a honeyed floral. The scent is as bright as the candles I dressed with it. It's definitely lifting my spirits- this is the first time all day that I've wanted to do anything other than lay in bed feeling sorry for myself.

This oil is definitely a precious one which I will treasure and use often. I have more candles on the way, and will add more to this review if I note any long-term effects.

ETA: after burning the annointed candles for several hours, the house was infused with a strong festive atmosphere, similar to the feeling one has during the winter holidays. I burn a lot of candles, and don't usually experience that feeling, so I put it down to the oil.

Edited by lilirose

I ordered this along with Peace to prepare my house for the birth of my first child. I'm glad I did! The oils arrived yesterday, and I could smell the sweet happiness of Bastet's Laughter coming through the box,.

I do not practice rituals really - I do what I feel is right. And I immediately dabbed a bit of BL around every window and door of my house. Just a teensy little bit, and I told the house that this would be a place of joy and happiness. I think it worked for me. My DH is out of town, and I'd been having trouble sleeping without him - nightmares and the like. But last night I had a delightful rest, and woke up cheerful and bright (I'd also been in a cranky mood for about a week). I feel very positive and secure. Lovely blend.

I had the same problem with this that I had with Amor and Lionheart--the red/yellow/orange color ritual scents just don't click with me as much as do the blue/grey/purple/white scents. I mean, the blend does smell very pretty, very cherry and citrus (it really reminds me a lot of Amor), and while it's burning on the candles and when I get a whiff, it is an uplifting scent. However, in terms of creating a connection or facilitating my concentration/meditation on how to direct my intent to make a happier home area, I had a very hard time using the blend. I think I'll have to take the Peace/blue and silver candle approach, or somehow work on myself to make these yellow/red/orange blends work better for me.

Scent: Initially, it smells like cough syrup and bubblegum, and it warms up to a rich, sensuous citrusy/vanilla/resin. Very hedonistic--like a cat.

Ritual aspect:

I've packed away all my candles and ritual objects, as I'm about to move, so I decided to anoint myself. I anointed my chakra points and the palms of my hands. I chanted a mantra and then I went to bed. I concentrated on banishing poverty and want, and increasing happiness and hope.

The next day I received the first of three payments I was waiting for, and I started to worry less about money. My current room got rented, so that I can move out into my new place and get my security deposit from my current place. In general I've been calmer and had a more positive outlook.

I am very pleased with this oil. :P

I don't know quite what's in here. I don't really have any place to burn candles, but I cannot resist perking up at anything associated with Bast.

It took me a while to come around to it, but I really like the Bastet blend from the general catalog. This reminds me a bit of it, but the first thing I get out of the bottle is a candy orange, sort of like the baby aspirin flavor. At the same time, there's enough going on in the background that it isn't just kiddie orange, but sort of herbal and with an incense-y sweetness as well. It's a very cheerful, sunny smell. I've seen some people calling it "golden" earlier in the thread, and that's about right.

It mellows as it dries, turning into cherries and almonds and maybe some vanilla. I think there's almost definitely some lotus in there, too. It develops a bit of an odd note that I can recognize but not place, I want to say it's water or some kind of spice. Might even be saffron. This is a very sweet, happy smell. It's Momma Cat--warm, golden sunlight and a bunch of stuff I can't quite figure out.

Scent in the vial:

I mainly wanted to try this because of my connection to Bast. It's a bright burst of fruit! Something like peaches mixed with dazzling citrus – sure to put a smile on your lips! Lovely. A very uplifting scent. :P

Scent “in use”:

I can't actually anoint any candles at this point, because candles are a no-no where I live right now. But I will try it at some stage!

This is such a happy scent to wear. Sniffing from the bottle, it's orange bubblegum scented.

Wet on my skin it starts out smelling like cinnamon, bubblegum, orange/tangerine, apricot scented...and a little boozy.

Dries down several hours to a soft creamy, citrusy fruit scent. :wub2:

Within an hour of applying it, my mood was lifted considerably and this was while working on a PITA work-related project. Here's hoping the good fortune is just around the corner. ;)

I feel a little uncomfortable reviewing a TAL oil that I used with intent, for a variety of reasons. Hell, I feel odd using TAL oils with intent, but at least I do that in the privacy of my own home. :P Please understand that I don't mean any disrespect by that statement; it's just that I've been a more-or-less reluctant atheist/rationalist (less reluctant and more atheistic in my youth, more reluctant and less atheistic in the past couple of years) for the past 22 years or so. So the idea that I could anoint myself or objects with an oil and focus my energies/intentions/hopes/etc. didn't initially strike me as likely to be more effective than making a wish while blowing out the candles on my birthday cake (in fact, I do make a wish every year - but still).

Nevertheless, I've recently taken an interest in... well, a lot of different things. I'm trying to open myself up to possibilities and to my own personal efficacy and... stuff. :lol: I've been taking a "It can't hurt and it might help" approach to exploring the limits of my ability to have faith, and it is with this attitude that I've been hoping to experiment with TAL oils.

I don't want to get into the details of my situation because they are long, boring, and well-understood by anyone who's ever been poor. Suffice it to say that I'm broke, I'm unemployed, I've got bills to pay, and I didn't know how much longer my husband and I were going to be able to stay afloat before everything came crashing down. So I anointed all of the entrances to our house, our bed, a salt lamp in the bedroom, and my nightshirt with Bastet's Laughter, concentrating on welcoming good fortune into our home and banishing poverty. The oil smelled nice: bright and happy and bubble-gummy (lotus?). I liked it. I probably wouldn't wear it as a perfume, but it was a pleasant scent that I didn't mind having on me or in my home. It made me smile.

I should note that I also anointed my computer, the telephone, and my nightshirt with Road Opener (I view the computer and the telephone as symbolic links to the "outside" world and imagined that the paths leading to new opportunities would be virtual ones leading to and from these communication devices), concentrating on opening up opportunities.

The next day I took my dog to the vet because I suspected that she had yet another mast cell tumor developing and was probably going to need yet another surgery. But the sore looked better that day, and the vet thought it was more likely that it was a skin infection and not cancer. :joy:

Then my credit card company called to remind me that my account was past due, as if I needed reminding. When I explained the situation to the representative, he arranged to lower my interest rate... something a previous customer service rep had refused to do a couple of months earlier when I called and attempted to negotiate new terms. :woohoo:

And then I discovered that my application for financial aid was approved and that the loan amount was more than I had dared to hope for by a substantial margin. I actually cried when I logged into my student account and realized I was going to be able to afford to enroll for my last semester of graduate school and finally finish the degree I've been working on for the past 10 years... and I was going to be able to afford to fix my car, which has been sitting at a mechanic's for the past 2 months because I didn't have the money to fix it... and that I was going to be able to afford to pay my bills and support myself again and take some of the weight off my husband's shoulders... :thud:

No, my friends, I am not making this up. It was like a goddamn miracle. Or rather, like a Goddess blessed one. Now, of course, I'm still unemployed and in debt up to my ears... but it feels like I've been granted a reprieve. Like I can breathe again. Like I'll be able to rally again. Thank you, Bastet. Thank you, Twilight Alchemy Lab. Thank you, Beth, the Universe... whoever or whatever. I am enormously grateful. :bow:

If this is how quickly and dramatically these oils work, I seriously need to get my hands on some Steady Work... and maybe even some Sexual Energy. ;) Although, perhaps not on that last one... I'm not really lacking in that department, and if it worked as well as Bastet's Laughter and Road Opener have, I might kill my husband! :lol:

Edited by Apple

I got a partial bottle of this on a whim, partly for the irony value of getting Bastet's Laughter and Great Cry in Egypt in the same package <i>during Passover</i>...

I tried burning it in my oil diffuser a while ago since I don't really do candles, and it just made my bedroom small cloying. But I've been having a really burned-out past couple of weeks, so I finally reached for the bottle again and dabbed some on my pulse points with the intent for some extra happy. Wow...I am surrounded in a fluffy cloud of happy bubblegum :-) And it's lasted 6 hours so far and going strong. My work day has not been extraordinarily productive, but I managed to write a solid short paper for homework and I've just felt...stable.

A freebie empty from a TAL circle! :joy: There was a couple of drops, so I put burned them in my tarts for the afternoon yesterday. I did try the oil on my solar plexus, but it felt like my insides were being ripped out, so I washed it off right away. The scent in the bottle is kind of appley fruit, though with a bit of floral.

As for intent, I have been procrastinating cleaning my basement, and finally got down to it yesterday afternoon while the candles were burning. I found two things that I had lost for a long time, an ambulance receipt that I couldn't submit to my extended health for reimbursement, and my bottle of TKO that was missing for several months. I did feel more calm and intent on my job, as well. Later that evening, I managed to get on LJ at the right time and got some Banshee Beat, a scent that I've been lusting after for awhile. So that's three cool things that happened to me yesterday, just by being at home. These things may have happened anyways, but yay for a great day! :joy:

It smells of soft citrus and a hint of rose, it's a very pleasant smell. It reminds me of Juicyfruit chewing gum.

I will update with how it works when I have used it. I imagine that I will anoint a candle and meditate.

this is lovely, haven't had a chance to try it on candles, but i can see how the scent is joyous and uplifting. i tried it on my skin and it's a citrussy bubblegum scent. it reminds me of juicyfruit gum, but isn't as strong smelling, and has a hint of something to soften it a bit, though i cannot pick out just what that something is, but maybe some kind of resin? i know that's vague, but i have trouble placing the scent of certain resins sometimes. can't wait to try this on candles!

This oil is delightful, and its energy is perfect for my home. It does precisely what is says it will, and I think it works even better if you have a cat in the house, as we do.

I use yellow, orange, and red votives in clear glass cups, always annointed and grouped in three's in different rooms. The atmosphere created is just wonderful, and the smell of Bastet's Laughter makes me happy and content.

Another big win for the TALs. :wub2:

Will be anointing candles with this another time, but I anointed my shrine to Bast with this tonight and it's so cheerful and uplifting! A very beautiful and appropriate scent.