Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pensive

Bastet's Laughter

Anoint red, orange, and yellow candles with this blend and light throughout the home to banish ill-fortune, eliminate poverty and want, and infuse the atmosphere with hope and happiness.

Am I allowed to go first?

picture0296ti.jpg

I'm on it.
And what do you know, I have candles in that color now!

Bottle: Amber
Border: Purple
Credits: Twilight Alchemy Lab, Black Broom

Personal quirks: If I were to sit down and examine it fully, Bastet the goddess and I seem to be on good terms. I'm cool with that.
Bottle sniff: Very bright and relaxing, a cheering fragrance. I want to say citrus, but I don't think that is quite right. It's bubblegum bright, though. I can tell you what it isn't: resiny, ambery, minty, musky, coffee, boozy, dragonbloody or sandalwoody or excessively berry although I tore thru my imp box and it may have something in common with Jester, but not much.
It also doesn't smell like any of the imps I have on hand.
Impressions next to Bastet (one of my signature scents): Next to Bastet, now ok, it's like Bastet is that golden amber sunpatch you wanna lay in? well this is the SUN itself coming down on that patch. Color - bright yellow, for those of you who can relate on that level. These are very different smells.
On me: Lively, sparkly, and bright.
Lasting powder: Medium.
My current mood: Really, really good. Content, even.
Effectiveness: Will keep you guys posted :P

Not to turn into a cranky hoarding wench but.. I don't really feel like sharing this one at the moment.

i haven't tried it in ritual yet as i'm out of candles, so i can't say how that goes, but it smells like bubblegum when i opened the bottle and is a very happy, hopeful scent.

I can't wait to annoint some candles with this one and planned to wait but some one was just to curious about the scent so I had to tr it to be able to explain it.

In the bottle: A cinnamony, orangey odd scent that borders on Bubblegum

On wet: Citrus is the very first thing that hits me, with possibly some vanilla, dragons blood and some cinnamon. I get a slightly candy scent on but not bubblegum currently. Also deep hanging down at the bottom a tinge of wood. This scent is super warm and nice.

Dry down: This gets a little more vanillay and that citrus is definetly still there and so is the spiceness that I am thinking might be cinnamon, clove and cardamon. Some of the bubblegum scent has come back again which actually is nice espeacially since it is mixed with the other scents so its not sickly sweet.

Overall: I adore the citrusy, sweet, spicey scent of this. This is what I wanted Ravenous to smell like (instead I got bandaids :P ). This is a joyful scent to me and I am so happy that I get to work with this side of Bastet since she is one of the Goddesses I enjoy working with. This scent makes me want to purr like a content cat.

Preconceived Notions - Bastet is my goddess of choice and I am sad that Bastet the oil doesn't work as well with my chemistry as I would like. When I heard there was a TAL called Bastet's Laughter, I knew I had to try it.

Origins - Purchased from Black Broom

Wet - a golden, fruity scent, possibly apricot.

Dry - while I am sure there are other notes in here, I can't quite get past the overwhelming apricotness of this. I am sure it would be lovely on others, but I can't stand apricot. Sadly, this isn't for me. I will probably imp out half of this, and keep the rest for ritual use.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2 (scent only).

Edited by wickedgoddess

Bastet's Laughter

In the imp: sweet bubblegum-no doubt lotus, as this is a sacred Egyptian flower. There's also a bittersweet fruit smell like citrus peel. I have no candles to put this on, so I shall try it on the skin.

Wet on skin: mmmm, yummy! This is a lovely, sweet fruity blend. There's a scent of candied orange or lemon peel, or pink grapefruit, in this, as well as the sweet floral scent of what I think is lotus.

Dry on skin: this is lovely! I think there may be apricot or peach in this, but there's also a deeper sweetness here with a slight bittersweet twinge-but this is no bad thing, it makes the scent more interesting. It smells just like candied fruit peel-I don't like the taste of it, but I love the scent! This is a sunny, warm scent, so gorgeous. I think I can smell a tiny bit of lotus there too.

After a while: there's now a scent in here that reminds me of the lovely smoky scent of a blown out candle. I'm pretty sure there's apricot here as well-spiced apricot jam. And still the scent of candied citrus peel, and a hint of candy floss on top. It's so sweet, you can't help but smile.

Verdict: I love this Egyptian themed scent!!! It smells fruity, sugared and sunny. It has a playful, youthful and mischievous feel to it. It smells like candied fruits with apricots and a bit of lotus. This blend is full of optimism and makes me want to connect with my feline side. I wish I could obtain a bottle. I may try this on candles and see what happens...

If 2 of my favorite BPAL scents,Jailbait and Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo,mated and reproduced,Bastet's Laughter would be the result. i have no idea what's in it,but i smell bubblegum (sweet lotus,maybe? i don't know how bubblegum would fit in with the theme of Bastet,but it works,so i'm not complaining!),candied fruits (apricots,maybe?),and a wee bit of Egyptian Khyphi incense (sort of like the 'perfume' undertone when Jailbait dries down). This is just...perfect. i would buy it for the scent,even if i wasn't going to use it for its intended purpose. (Which,by the way,it's great for...i have to say,it was more than just the pleasant psychological effect of having many pretty colored candles that smelled of bubblegum and other yummies all around the house...within a couple hours a HUGE problem i was having fixed itsself,i got unexpected $ in the mail,etc etc).

i really,really wish that this could be a catalog scent...i am sure most people who could try it would ADORE it. :P

I had sampled and fell in love with Bastet's Laughter, but didn't want to review it until I had my own bottle in hand while being able to contemplate it for a time.

First Impression: Sweet and fruity!

Second Impression: Scent-wise, this reminds me of Juicy Fruit gum and Razzles candy gum. It's a wonderful happiness inducing and nostalgic smell.

Final Analysis: Bastet's Laughter is candy coated laughter in a bottle. Whether you use this for ritual or not, a smile will result the moment the cap is removed. I promise you that.

Bottle (Imp): Sweet, maybe a bit fruity.

Just On: Yes, sweet fruit of some type.

An hour or two later: Hmm, maybe not fruit, but smooth and a bit sweet. Maybe gum, lotus perhaps?

Around 6 hours: Possibly a hint of wood, smooth. Still some sweetness.

12 hours: It's all gone.

Overall: This is absolutely lovely as a scent, and I can certainly see how this fits in with its purpose.

After reading other reviews: I certainly wasn't too far off on this one. It does bring a smile to my face.

Well, I don't have red and yellow candles but I have an orange tart, does that count?

I need some of the mojo this promises so I annointed my wrists with it and was immediately innundated with a sweet fruity smell- though not sickeningly sweet at all- it's got something slightly spicy underneath.

What a cheery, happy smell. It raises my spirits just to smell it faintly.

bastetslaughter.jpg

I agree with whomever said Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo and Jailbait. Fruity with no bitterness or unpleasant aftertaste. Very very upbeat and the prettiest, most attractive fruit/happiness smell yet. I would love to get 5ml of this and if it doesn't last forever, I would love to put it in a scent locket. Really a fine, sweet fragrance.

Please note, I am just talking about the fragrance, not the effectiveness of the oil for ritual purposes. I am not a practicioner in public (or really in private either) so please take what I say about any TAL with that in mind.

To me, Bastet's Laughter smells of "tropical punch"-flavored Kool-Aid. I agree that it smells similar to Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, which I have down in my spreadsheet as having reminded me of Hawaiian Punch.

(Disclaimer: This review was written in a circular swap, so I did not use the oil for ritual purposes. I can only report here on its scent. I believe this is valuable information so people know if they will find the oil physically/aesthetically uncomfortable when they use it for its intended purpose, BUT I do not believe TAL oils should be used as simple perfume. )

First sniff: She’s not laughing at us (as I often suspect cats do), she’s laughing because she’s just in a really good mood. This might be the happiest scent I’ve tried yet. It’s bright and airy and citrusy and fresh and fantastic.

Wearing: I sniff. I smile. Life is good. I need to buy some candles and use this properly.

In the bottle and when first applied, it's very fruity and lovely.

It drys and loses it's scent very fast on my skin though, and turns to baby powder.

I'll probably try it again in a couple of weeks, and hopefully it will last longer.

From the TAL Circular Swap...

This is a very sweet, happy blend. I have just tried a tiny bit for scent purposes, given the nature of the circle, but I can certainly see how dressing and burning appropriate candles with this scent would infuse the atmosphere with hope and happiness!

I geta combination of vanilla, something bubblegummy and something herbal out of this blend. I agree with the consensus so far that the latter two are probably lotus (this is similar to a couple of other lotus blends I've tried and this is not candy-Jailbait bugglegum sweet to me, but MMV). There is definitely some resemblence to some of the feel-good Voodoo blends as well.

As the extent of my actual use of any of these oils tends to be wearing with a thought of the purpose in mind, perhaps hunting down some Bastet's Laughter of my own would not be a horrible idea...

I've been in love with the name of this blend since I first heard it and the idea of burning brightly-colored candles in conjunction with it really lifts my spirits even though the only candles I have are already so heavily scented (Yankee Candles) that I wouldn't want to dress them with oil.

So I tested this for its scent and the feelings that it brought about in me. It's a tough week for me, and I desperately need something to lift the mood a little. The sparkly orange candylike scent of this blend really did make me smile. It smells almost exactly like Kunstkammer to me, which was really too candyline and powdery orange for me to wear but this is a bit stronger and brighter.

I don't use oils for ritual purposes, but they have such a strong effect on my mood and mindset that you could say that they do work magic in their own way. I might some day buy a bottle of this and try it out with candles. I would absolutely love to put little bright yellow and orange candles through the house and sit there with the cats and feel peaceful and happy.

For now this helped to brighten my day a little and while I'm going to pass it along for another to try I would definitely consider a bottle if I was going to start collecting TAL oils for actual usage. As it is, I don't have much occasion to use them more than once but I enjoy making the acquaintance of each one I meet! :P

at first: sweet.

on: fruitier, almost tart.

half an hour later: fruity and tart. i can see how this would be a good oil to make one feel cheery.

1.5 hours later: very dry and tart. candylike.

overall: this is a really happy scent. it reminds me of a drier version of aunt caroline's joy mojo.

Cheerful, bright and fruity, maybe some lotus, cherry, and orange - whatever it is it's gorgeous and just makes me smile. For purposes of use this is wonderful for clearing the air and bringing a happy mood into a room or time-frame. Beautiful to smell and it definitly picked up the happiness factor as well.

I tried a drop of this from a friend, so this is only a "how does it smell" review, I haven't used this for anything else.... and am afraid I would have trouble doing so. On me this was way too sweet and sticky - it smelled like those turkish dried apricots (the kind that are cut in half and sticky and tart) which I love to eat, but the smell of them always makes me a bit queasy. Using this would always make me feel sticky, if that makes sense, and I'd always feel like I needed to wash my hands. Yes, I'm weird.

Oh wow! This is so pretty and soft and orange. Like stroking a cat's fur and listening to it purr contentedly under your hands.

I'd hazard this contains some kind of golden amber, and reminds me a lot of the sweet, pink note in Pink Phoenix. I think I need to have a big BPAL sale so I can buy a bottle of this because it's far too beautiful to miss out on. I'll be using it to anoint my Bast statue, too.

This smells of sweet bubblegummy lotus, candied citrus, and something like honeyed apricots to me. Perhaps with a hint of smoky-sweet incense in the background, or maybe that was just the natural waxy smell of the candles..

Edited by Little Bird

Bastet’s Laughter - I got home to a package of TAL bottles in my mailbox this evening, and immediately put on Bastet's Laughter. I love it! I couldn't remember the description right off the bat, but the second I sniffed the bottle, I just knew it had to be a hope and happiness blend -- and sure enough, I was partially correct.

Sniffed wet in the vial, it smells like orange and it's bubblegum sweet, but it's not cloying or sickeningly sweet. When I apply it, it's like wearing a nice, soft dessert. Orange crème brulée, perhaps. As it dries down, I begin to note the tiniest touch of spiciness that may be clove or cardamom, possibly even cinnamon, although it doesn't leave red marks on my skin like cinnamon usually does. As I go about my activities, I am continuously catching light wafts that remind me of orange chiffon with a hint of sweet spice. However, this isn't what I would classify as a typical "foody" scent -- probably because I don't usually like bakery foody scents. This is just gorgeous. The throw is terrific, but unfortunately, the lasting power doesn't seem to be the best, as it started to fade (but not completely disappear) right around the one-hour point. I don't do rituals with my BPAL, but it's going to be hard to resist doing one with this particular TAL.

[Edit: I was going to have my nephew spend the night recently. He’s been having behavioral problems and acting out every chance he gets. Before he came over, and while he was here, I burned a candle with Bastet’s Laughter on it, and we had the most wonderful evening together that we’ve ever had. He was more well-behaved and obedient and good-natured than he had ever been with me before. I can’t help but think it’s at least partly due to the Bastet’s Laughter!]

Pranashakti gifted me with this during some medical issues I was having earlier this year. Thank you! :P

Scent:

Imp: Fruity bubblegum with citrus and licorice.

Wet: Citrus licorice sweetness. There is something sharp in it too.

Dry: This turns into a vanillic bubblegum with great throw, but short staying power lasting about 2 hours. It really is a joyous scent.

Efficacy: Well, this cheered me up in two ways--

1) Because it was such a generous and heartfelt gift from a stranger and warmed my heart....

2) Second, when I started to feel down in the dumps about being on bedrest, I annointed some candles with it as suggested. I have to say that I think it really helped. How could an orangey/sweet/vanilla/bubblegummy aura NOT cheer you up, you know? :D

I use this one quite a bit, especially when things are stressful. I have a three-branched candelabra on my altar that I bought in New Orleans this spring, and I usually keep red, yellow, and orange candles in it, annointed with this oil. I always feel calmer and more grounded when I'm burning those.

My cats seem to like it too. :P Especially my little girl cat, who is firmly of the opinion that she is Queen of the Universe.

The scent? Fruity, sweet, and warm. It's a comforting scent.

I have used Bastet's Laughter both with red, yellow, and orange candles and in an oil burner. The scent is pervasive around the house when burned/heated, but in the best possible way. In the bottle, it smells very sweet, but when it is permeating your living space it becomes a gentle presence. It actually makes me think of the beginning of a belly laugh. I know that sounds weird, but it really does...there was this quiet moment when my two heathens were babies where they'd start to ripple or shake themselves into a belly laugh, and this scent brings that same quiet happy feel to the house. We recently moved into a bigger place and I burned this to try to help the transition, and I couldn't be happier with the oil.

Well done, Beth!

My first time trying a TAL oil -- I had ordered this one for Kettu's birthday a while back, but ended up wearing it tonight. Yes, on me, not on a candle. Seemed like a good idea at the time. :P

I was going to be priestessing a Wiccaning (baby blessing) ritual for a friend's new baby tonight, and trying to decide what to wear. On the basis of scent alone, I had been leaning toward Mme. Moriarty, but I did not want to wear something associated with misfortune and bleak fates to a baby blessing ritual. I looked over my favourites, trying to find something that sounded suitable upbeat, and was about to go for Aglaea, when I suddenly got very strong impulse that Bastet was what was needed. I have lately been trying to cultivate more of a connection with that deity, and it would appear that She had decided that the time to connect was now. But, I thought, that wasn't the scent I wanted. Aglaea.... No. Bastet! Er... yes, ma'am.

So I went into the bedroom where Kettu's Bast shrine is, and saw the regular Bastet oil on one side of the statue of Her... and Bastet's Laughter on the other. And I thought, that's the one. I'd only ever just sniffed it tentatively in the bottle, but it seemed to be exactly what was needed right then, so I pretty much slathered it onto my wrists, neck and heart area.

It smelled... overwhelmingly sweet. Like strong, bright fruit kicked up a notch by lotus, a note I usually dislike intensely. But here, it was strangely good. It did not smell like a normal sort of perfume I would wear, but it smelled like exactly what was needed for a baby blessing! Not only did it seem like a smell that would make a baby happy, but the whole intent of the oil is more or less the intent of the ritual: banish misfortune and unhappiness, bring joy, etc.

It was very, very definitely a mood-lifter, and not only that, but intensely energizing. I was bouncing around like I'd just had six cups of coffee or something. The ritual went very well, but I think perhaps next time I will stick to putting that oil on candles -- either that, or at least be prepared for the hyper-energetic effect it seems to have on me.

Grade: scent B, effect A