Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
catiebloo

Hollywood Babylon

Teamama is right, vanilla really is king here, beautiful. I put off trying this so long bc fruit blends are the one thing that scares me, but I was so wrong. The red musk balances the sticky sweetness so well and the fruit notes work well with the amber and vanilla. Im im absolute love 💘

Hollywood Babylon was a scent I previously shied away from, both the concept and the fruit notes repelled me. As I was reading the Luper cherry reviews, I wanted to scratch the itch to have a similar experience. I’m glad I decided to revisit. 

Wet, I get thick vanilla amber, strawberry, and a bit of red musk. I think I detect the heliotrope, yet I’m not totally confident that I do. This stage does remind me of Snake Oil, same vanilla. As the oil dries, the cherry and strawberry entwine, making a new type of fruit in their love. I like the scent up to this stage, then it takes a turn. The fruit amps and becomes candy-like. The musk is there, but only as a blanket for the strawberry cherry affair to roll around on. It ends up being too girlie, less sexy on my skin. Bummer! If the wet stage had continued, I’d probably be wearing it for a few days. haha

Thankfully, it does somewhat fulfill my desire for those cherry scents, so I won’t be hunting down a bottle that I probably won’t wear too much :uhuhuh:

Update: in the late late drydown, the remaining hint of cherry and a smidge if amber are reminding me of dragons blood :P 

Edited by artisjok

In the vial: they discovered her at the counter of a soda fountain and now here she is making a splash at the big director’s party : a young girl trying to be sophisticated- trying to drink cognac when what she wants is a cherry coke or a strawberry float

On me, wet: cherry and some musk/amber

On me, just dried: amber now, the girl is in her heels and low cut gold lamé gown, swallowing down her sweetness under the mask of seen it all before, only a memory of the boy at the soda fountain

After 15 minutes: dryer now with mainly the ambery musk but she is thinking a lot about the soda fountain boy and how he’d buy her cherry floats

After 30 minutes: same ache of cherry struggling to break through the ambery musk.

After 1 hour: little starlet is not getting her roles, no matter what she did to get them

After 3 hours: she is a forgotten, a& mere footnote in cinema history.

Verdict – I enjoyed it and the sad story it told, but would not invest in it.

A sweet dark strawberry and cherry floral, kind of powdery but not as much as the hair gloss. Vanilla is about the only note that doesn't stand out to me, everything else appears. A great blend, one of the best from the General Collection for sure!

In the imp: smooth, fruity red musk

Wet: cherry and strawberry with red musk. Lightly sweet. 

Dry: dark musky amber and vanilla with a very light red fruitiness. Something here smells in common with Snake Oil, but with the fruits. Often cherry and strawberry go wonky on my skin, but here they are soft supporting players and meld very well. 

Ordered an Imp of this, and I may need to invest in a full bottle! This is a beautifully sweet fruit scent with a resinous base, and I am always a fan of red musk. 

In Bottle: Smells like candy! Fruity & Sweet! There is a hint of the musk, but I have to search for it.

On Skin: The artificial sweetness burns off and the red musk starts to amp up. Very innocently sexy. Still very fruity, but blends into the sweetness of the amber.

Dry Down: This becomes a soft red musk on the dry down. This is a rather feminine scent, almost devilishly sweet 😈

Received as an imp. Smells fancy. I don't want to stop inhaling when I sniff it. I get the strawberries & cherries intermingling with the vanilla & musk. The heliotrope is faint, but a star in this show. This is a knock-out. Sexy, seductive, slightly fruity, mysterious vanilla & musk. Yum.

what a big disappointment :(

last year I bought two bottles of Hollywood Babylon since it's my signature scent. I kept using one bottle and leave the other one in a drawer.

Now that the first bottle is finished, I open the second one and there is absolutely NO PERFUME ad all, the oil is just scentless 😨I can't understand why!

So maybe this scent doesn't age well :( 

Edited by Moonchild

I. Love. This. It has been my go-to imp for weeks now, and I'm probably going to have to purchase a bottle. ("oh no!" screams my wallet)

It's sweet incense, glamorous and glittering musk. When I look at the notes, it's no wonder I love it, since it has some of my favorite notes of all time: red musk, vanilla, strawberry, cherry... I'm not a huge fan of amber so I'm glad that I don't get a lot of that here. If anything, it keeps the fruits from becoming too syrupy. The heliotrope adds an extra dimension of complexity but does not overwhelm.

YUM ❤️

Received this as a frimp with my Roe v Wade bottles.

This is gummy bears and red musk. Red musk is aggressive on my skin, and this is no different than my usual encounters with it. It's become a sea of red musk with a single gummy bear floating in it.

Reminds me of the Smut-o-Ween scents from 2020, except the candy-to-musk ratio felt more balanced in Smut-o-Ween.

ETA: Retrying this two years later, the gummy bears have become stronger. It's a positive change IMO.

Edited by Laughing Seagull

Oh yeah. Yeah yeah yeah yeah. New wishlist scent. This has ALL the notes I love. Amber, musk specifically of the red variety, strawberry and vanilla, black cherry and heliotrope. I said bastet was the sexy girlfriend of Fenris wolf, but this is their unicorn. She's sexy, youthful and bubbly all at the same time. 

Wet, tis is mostly cherry on me. Which i'm not a fan of, but if you are you just may love this- Dry, strong strong juicy cherry with a delicious strawbnilla amber enveloping it; it becomes less foodie and somehow slightly tarty and ...cakelike? Like leftover pieces of cherry pie. Quite delightful!

ordered an imp of this and I'm satisfied with it. when first put on, it's increeeeedibly sweet, like sweet cherry lollipops. i believe the scent i smell behind it is the amber, which yanks the leash on the sweetness and chills it out towards the end. the musk is also really pleasant, kind of earthy. after only a few minutes, the smell really fades.

about an hour later, the smell is still relatively the same. cherry, vanilla, sweetness, and a bit of earthyness

One of my favorites! If not THE favorite. Almost exactly as described, creamy vanilla strawberry incense musk that dries down to a debaucherous sexy chocolatey cherry incensy kind of scent. Sweet, but not innocent.