Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Osmanthus, Damascus rose, violet, delphinium, white mint, palmarosa and white sandalwood.

It's... Floral. Yeah, I know, not helpful. Florals of most categories dont work for me :P I amp rose very much too. Osmanthus is a very fruity floral. I can imagine this would be a light but elegant floral scent. On someone else.

On me, Utrennyaya is rose and mint with a hint of violet. It's a little light for my taste, but still very nice.

unfortunately on me this smells exactly like a cross between BBW cucumber melon shampoo and house paint. rawr. I can tell that it SHOULD smell nice on me but it doesn't. Thankfully I bought it for a friend to try, so I'm not too brokenhearted. :P

This was a frimp from a friend.

Imp: Mint on the intitial sniff, then a minty herb.

Wet On me: Mint grass!

Drying Down: Fresh cut grass and mint. Kind of herbal-y

Dry: Grass now. Mint if I sniff deep enough.

Throw/Stay: When I move my arm during the course of

worki, it throws a cut grass scent that stops me and makes me think

a door to the outside is open. Then I remember I'm testing a BPAL.

This will probably find it's way to the re-homing group. I like it, I'm just

not going to marry it.

In the bottle: Nearly colourless extremely pale yellow oil. Extremely strong mint and very faint florals. The mint totally reminds me of gum.

Wet: Still extraordinarily minty, with a sort of bitter, harsh edge that reminds me of pennyroyal or sage. The sweet osmanthus is faintly detectable, as well as some soft violet and palmarosa, and faint rose. These temper the mint a bit.

Dry: Slow drying. The rose has really amped incredibly and the mint has lost much of its bite, so this is slightly soapy rose followed by cool herbal mint, then honeyed osmanthus, powdery violet, and herbal-floral palmarosa. It's a complex floral, and hard to pick apart other than the rose.

Later: Wow, this has morphed incredibly! The sandalwood, indeed the light fresh white type, has emerged, and makes this quite dry, though cool in combination with the now bright but pleasant mint. The palmarosa has amped and is now the strongest floral note, with rose and osmanthus, then powdery violet.

Summary: Dry, slightly sharp sandalwood and herbal palmarosa with a bright spike of cool mint. Softer notes of lightly soapy rose, powdery violet, and honey-sweet osmanthus. Woody floral, unisex. Good throw and lasting power.

Not my thing - too dry and sharp.

Soft floral blushing in the morning light. The rose, violet and delphinium make a lovely bouquet while the jolt of mint wakes me up.

As it dries down I start to get a bit of the sandalwood's creaminess and the mint fades to just a slight breath of freshness. The florals really linger, especially the rose and something a bit sweeter that I think may be the osmanthus.

Wonderfully evocative. I only have 2 of the Zorya but I think I will need to try the evening sister to see how the set rounds out.

In the vial: ooo, peppermint!

On me: The Morning Star is very clear and bright, appropriately. The mint stays fresh in the topnotes, and underneath it I'm getting some "green" woods and herbs. It's a little sharp for me, but then I'm not a morning person...I can see this being a good scent to help one wake up and get going, especially on a hot summer's morn when the mint is refreshing.

wet/in imp: smells like throat coat tea. very minty. i also get violets and more mint.

this needs to belong to someone else. i am not a minty person.

dry: still smells like minty throat coat.

Warm, kind of tropical. Floral and a hint of fruity. Maybe a tad spicy, the sandalwood is starting to emerge. This is lasting a long time.

On me this is an uber minty white floral. After a hour or 2 some sweetness resides, and subtle green and woodsy smells emerge. Later it's kind of fruity. I am not sure if I like this or not. I really liked it when it was a green & woodsy minty floral. But that fruitness isn't really me. I have hopes that aging this will kill the fruity flower and deepen the sandalwood.

I was in love with this from first smell in the imp. The mint was right there and I could smell something else, something floral. When I put it on, the mint went away almost immediately and the rose with violet came rushing forward. I was quite happy. Then, after it dried, the rose went away and the violet stayed.

Now, an hour after having put it on, I smell like soap. I've lost all trace of the violet, rose, mint and everything else in this fragrance. All I can smell is dove soap. I guess this one would be best left as a smelly for my locket when I finally buy one. I wonder if it's the violet that breaks down to this soapy smell on my skin.

Edit One of my co-workers caught a sniff of me as I walked by and asked if I was growing african violets. She grows violets and said I smell just like them. Huh. I had no idea violets smell like Dove soap. :P Now that she's said that, I've been sitting here sniffing myself and the soapy smell has calmed down. I still think it smells soapy, but then I haven't smelled violets in years so my nose could be mistaken.

Edited by Gunny

I usually love any rose and/or violet blend but this is horribly sour on me. Something about the sandalwood + the flowers isn't working well. And I don't get any mint, although this imp could just be a bit aged. Bleah.

First I start to get herbs, a nice fresh outdoorsy scent...but then the mint comes out and takes over and now I smell like dentist's office. Sigh. Not for me.

I thought on application that this was going to be a definite Voodoocat fragrance. It started out very minty with an undercurrent of sandalwood. Unfortunately, it turned into a fight to the death for supremacy between Rose and Violet. Poor mint got stomped. Sandalwood just gave up and went home.

Foo.

imp: lightly minted floral.

wet: there is some sandalwood and mint here but mostly it's rose and violet and something kinda herbal smelling.

dry: luckily, this dries down to something pleasant, the barest hint of mint and violet over sandalwood. very pretty.

Ultraviolet was one of my first unexpected loves, and Utrennyaya shares the mint and violet, so this blend needed to live up to some high expectations! It smells pleasant enough in the imp, all light and tasty mint melded with a swirl of gentle flowers. On, I can certainly feel the violets and the mint. It doesn't smell bad at all: very pretty. Pretty mint, pretty mess of flowers (I can identify rose and violet but the others are unfamiliar to me) with a definite green element. It fades pretty quickly, but most importantly, it's just not me. It's an interesting scent if you pay attention, but I feel like the overall effect would actually just come off as very traditional and a bit like soap/body wash/lotion. On the bright side, the white sandalwood note behaved on my skin and I'm sure this would smell lovely on the right person.

This one is a pretty, minty violet floral. I get a hint of roses in the background and a sandalwood base. As it dries, the florals burn off and I get more of the sandalwood base.

Pass.

I'm getting lovely white mint, violet, and rose, in that order. Nice, but not really my thing.

ETA: after ten minutes, WHOA VIOLET with just a tad of mint.

In the imp: Herbal but sweet and grassy, a very light, cool, pale green floral. I smell the white mint above all, along with the palmarosa and osmanthus. There's some tart delphinium, too. No rose or violet yet, no sandalwood.

On, wet: The mint is less overtly minty now; it's just adding coolness and shimmer to everything. I'm getting mainly palmarosa, delphinium and osmanthus and almost none of the violet and rose. Again, it's very grassy and fresh and tangy-sweet in a natural way, not at all cloying. It really feels like a field on a summer morning, when the sun's coming up and all the plants are covered with dew and there's still some chill in the air.

On, dry: Everything it was wet, but the violet and rose bloom softly on the dry down and they just make this scent something… more. Fuller, rounder, more complexity, more depth. There's still grassiness from the palmarosa and a cool herbal bite from the white mint, but this is really becoming something very pretty, delicate and unique. The sandalwood hasn't come out by itself; it's just holding everything together without being a distraction.

Later: Very faint but completely blended. None of the elements are distinct; they've all blended into a lovely, herbal-sweet, fresh fragrance that's more than the sum of its parts.

Overall: This is not like any other blend I've tried, from BPAL or elsewhere; it's really beautiful and very true to the inspiration. It's a cool, fresh, luminous scent—floral, but light as air and quite natural. This isn't an "O HAI I'M WEARING PERFUME" scent, but an elusive, magical, "come and sniff me" scent.

I got a bit excited about this when I first dabbed it.. while wet, the strongest notes on my skin are the mint (this has almost an aniseed tone to it) and the sandalwood, with a very slight hint of rose. The violet doesn't seem to be present at this stage.

Sadly, after a 30-minute dry-down, all I get is the rose.. with a faint hint of the violet still there.

Rose, you are a fiend. You spoiled this for me :cry2:

Sniffing the imp, it's quite minty.

Wet on the skin, it's mint and sandalwood. Very herbal. No rose or violet while wet.

This has dried to all herbal mint on my skin. Toothpaste smell, actually. I'm no longer getting any sandalwood and never really smelled the rose or violet. :(

Got this as a freebie in my order. It's nice, because it's definitely not something I'd have chosen on my own (heavy florals and I generally aren't friends).

This is a very fresh scent. I'm not getting a lot of the mint or sandalwood, but enough to calm down the flowers somewhat. Luckily, the rose isn't going all crazy on me the way it normally does. After drying it got a little soapy on me, but actually not in a bad way--like I said, it smells very clean. Something I'd love to dab on right after getting out of the bath.

I don't think I'll be ordering more, but I'll use up my imp. Glad I tried it!

I've gotten frimped this 3 times in quick succession, so instead of thinking this is coming to me cause I should have it ... I thought wow, everyone must hate this to be getting rid of it! I've had it in my imp pile forever... picked at random today.

At first applied this smells like mint and fresh smooshed plant matter, a very fresh walking through wet vegetation smell...

I dont get violets even in drydown... its more a mint and non-descript plant smell.

It'll be nice for summer B)

First on: MINT! - crystal clear and ice-cold! Fantastic for this uber-hot June in Houston.

Drydown: soft, pretty, a hint of mint, but sweet as well. It's subtle, but lovely.

This is a very pale, white, elusive scent. It has a moderately strong come on, but fades quickly to a pleasant floral scent. On my skin, I get mainly damascus rose, sandalwood and mint. The mint note seems to grow in strength the longer I wear this. It's an interesting take on a pale floral, because the mint note gives Utrennyaya an ozone type quality.

Very lovely, but not how I roll.