Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Three white musks with poppy and patchouli.

When I first put this on it was so sexy and gorgeous. Then it changed into a musky perfumey type scent. It changed so much with my skin. It reminds me of a perfume I've smelled before, but I can't place it yet. hmmm my sinuses are getting stuffy from it. I think it'll have to be swapped.

in the bottle: I got this a free imp from the Lab. It's always a happy day when I get things on my wishlist, free with an order. This is a gorgeous soft blend of musks, quite cool, but warmed up by the patchouli.

wet on skin: The poppy makes everything a little darker, heady.

dry: This has a lovely throw to it. Not too much and stays around for a seriously long time.

I ordered and received a (very full, thank you) imp of Vechernyaya from the Lab. When I popped the top off the imp and took an initial whiff, I was struck by how perfumey this fragrance was. I really couldn't describe it any other way except "perfumey." I want to say it reminds me of my mother's favourite fragrance, Lancome Tresor, however the notes don't really jive with the notes in Vechernyaya.

This is really a nice fragrance, but it almost seems uncharacteristic from what I've tried so far with BPAL in how "perfume" it smells. I hope that isn't taken the wrong way. As the first reviewer, Olympia301, notes, this really takes BPAL fragrances down a whole new avenue. Although I personally don't know if I want to walk down that avenue, I think it would be nice for others.

Vechernyaya is a lovely fragrance that is light and very composed. This would be a wonderful oil for a mature, graceful woman. I think it resembles a commercial perfume I've smelled before, perhaps it might not be Tresor, however that isn't to say that Vechernyaya isn't made with the quality one would expect from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.

I don't know if I will be buying a bottle of this for myself (although it's really nice), however I think I might get this as a gift for my mother either for her birthday or for the holidays, as I think it's something she might like. It might also be something nice for my boyfriend's mother as well. It's really interesting, and the oil doesn't morph much while on the skin, unlike many other oils in the catalogue. The scent isn't obtrusive, although a heavy hand could really make people nearby a bit displeased. It's an adult fragrance, yet, for me, oddly chaste. This is a scent for a mature woman, or for a young woman looking to give off a serious, professional air about herself.

Vechernyaya is a definite recommendation for those occasions when you have to meet his/her parents, are applying for a job, have to put in time with jury duty, have a meeting with a client, going out to a posh restaurant, etc. I'm twenty-four, slagging away at a job where I can wear jeans, mostly working or in school, meeting with cats instead of clients. Vechernyaya might be a case of "it's lovely, but just not for me."

-doreen

As a complete slathering fangirl of white musk, I had to try this one... not one but three white musks? *drool* But I've set limits for myself, and will not order bottles unsniffed, so I got a test imp.

In the imp: Definitely patchouli, but it's mild and almost has a dry wood smell. Judging from the color of the oil, there's just a dab of patchouli, which is probably for the best... I have a love/hate relationship with the "eau de dirty hippie" and like it best when it's playing a supporting role.

On: From reading the other reviews, I feel like the only person who thinks white musk smells warm... to me it smells like what babies should smell like, but seldom do. Clean, soft, warm and kinda innocent - that's white musk to me. Vechernyaya is a very interesting blend - part woody, part musky, and subtle sweet floral from the poppy... this is like dry wood that's been bleached by the sun and strewn with flowers. Beautiful and unique... my 5 ML list is growing at an alarming rate.

Vechernyaya is my favorite of the three stars...the white musk(s) are just heavenly here, the patchouli is warm and sweet, and I'm not sure what the poppy is doing but whatever it is, I like it.

Once I have this on for about an hour or so, I feel like I can smell black coconut in it as well, which only adds to its allure. I love it so much I've already ordered a bottle.

It just makes me feel...starry. There is something radiant about the white musk and earthy about the patchouli, and together they're just a knockout combination.

Beth, thank you! :P

I've enjoyed all three of the Zoryas now, and I had saved Vechernyaya for last, knowing that I do *love* white musk. I was not disappointed with this scent at all, and I do believe I'll be ordering a big bottle very soon.

sniffing the imp: astringent, hints of earthy woodiness, with a sweet perfumey overlay.

on my skin...This is truly lovely on me - I also smell the white musk as warmth, perhaps aided by the poppy, but it's the addition of the patchouli that really makes this one for me. The light warmth of the musk is met perfectly with a clean, moist earth. It makes me think of an August evening, the warm earth cooling as the sun sets, and dew begins to form on the grass, as the spiders begin to come out and spin their magical webs.

Wet:

Oh my! It's sexy musky aftershave, something my father used to wear. It also reminds me of a cologne my husband has worn before. It's the musks I believe. Mmmmmm :P

The woodeness that this has a backdrop must be the fault of the patchouli. It makes the scent feel a bit primal.

(It almost smells like real peanut butter too. :D ) It's that nutty-woodsiness.

Oh man.

This is just one of those very rare ones that screams to me of the crook of a man's neck, leaning close past his crisp shirt collar. It's "man dressed up".

It only gets cosier on drydown too- warm and woodsy-musky, and very inviting.

Mmmmm...

This smelled almost smoky to me, right out of the imp. It reminded me of a blending of Lust and a teeny dash of brimstone.

Now that it's dry, I don't smell much smoke any longer, but I do smell a lovely musky fragrance. Lightly floral, but mostly musky. Every so often, a smoky and musky waft of air drifts to my nose.. and I can't say that I dislike it.

I don't know if this would be an everyday scent for me, but I think I will most likely keep this imp.

This is a lovely perfume, I'm surprised more people don't talk about it.

Wet is smells very, well, perfumey. It is light and slightly sweet, not at all with the same scent, but with a similar lightness to Pele. I would use the word "lovely." It isn't at all cloying or bitter or acrid - the white musk makes it just breathy and fresh.

This is the first patchouli scent I have ever tried that the patchouli didn't eat the other scent and attack me. I can smell it down there only because I know it is there from the description. Don't let the patchouli scare you away from this one!

Gosh, I really like this scent. I never would have tried it, considering it has the dread "P." :P

I am Very pleasantly surprised. It is sophisticated, but not at all in the Queenly-business-woman sort of way, more in a "I'm going on a first date and I want him to think I'm pretty and feminine, but I don't want him getting too fresh."

More than any other BPAL I've tried, this reminds me of a generic "male cologne" scent. At least at first. Then it dries into something totally sophisticated and elegant. Very refined, almost cold. A beautiful, ice-queen scent.

I traded for this imp from swaps, but wasn't sure if I'd like it because of the poppy--usually I hate florals, and things with any flowers in them are a warning sign.

But Vechernyaya and I have been having a love affair since I first put it on. It's a very stable scent, on me, and doesn't change much from wet to drydown - mostly white musk, warmed by a bit of poppy, with the patchouli as an almost-invisible base layer. The white musk really is the strongest part of this, but the poppy adds a slight edge to it. Definitely a feminine scent, on me, but not "girly" in the slightest: 100% buttoned-up beautiful in-charge *woman*.

As some others have noted, it's a very *refined* scent. I'm relatively young, and I teach, so I wear this when I know I'll be facing a particularly difficult day in the classroom, or meeting with difficult students--basically, any time when I know I'm going to need to come off as strong and in charge. It lasts *all day* and gives me a wonderful pick-me-up when I smell it; it acts as a reminder to me that yes, I can be grown up, but I can do it *my way*. It's classic enough to be acceptable while also just edgy enough to be individual.

As soon as possible, there's going to be a big bottle order of this - no question.

This starts out a little too perfumy on me, but when it dries, its all white musks and poppy. Where are you my friend patchouli? This is a very nice white musks scent.

I wanted to try this mostly because of the concept, and less because of the notes, although I like white musk and patchouli in many of Beth's blends.

However, I am graduallyand painfully coming to the conclusion that I cannot wear poppy and opiate notes.

This was extremely heavy and perfumy on me. All I can smell is the poppy, whcih is heavy and languid and not at all what I was hoping for - particularly the part where it is tickling my throat and seems to be making me sneeze even after I've washed it off. Much sadness... :P

Wet: Musky men's cologne.

Dry: a very subtle musky I don't even know how to describe the notes but it smells like perfume, kind of like Obsession. A VERY subtle, close to the skin musk with the teensiest sweetness and patchouli ovetones.

I'm not normally fond of patchouli scents, but the Lab sent me a frimp of this, so I'll give it a shot.

In the vial: Cold and then warm, if that makes sense - the coldness of the white musk countered by the spiciness of the patchouli, with a bit of a floral hint, which is probably the poppy.

Wet: Ooh, spicy! Spicy and floral, but light, which is really nice.

Drydown: Uh oh, am I getting a hint of soap? Okay, it's gone now. It's sweetening up to a light musky floral with just a hint of spice in the background. If the patchouli is in the background, I'm beginning to conclude, it's okay on me.

Dry: A soft, musky floral blend that's feminine but says "Don't try, me, darling, I can still kick your ass."

Rating: 3.75, because it's not something I'd have picked up on my own, but am glad I tried. I see a 5ml of this in my future.

Edited by Shollin

This does have that 'expensive men's cologne' sort of feel to it, and it's a darn handsome one. There is something smoky and deep in this, balanced by the coolness of the musk. I don't know where the smokiness is coming from, since patchouli generally reads as a more earthy note on me.

It's an interesting blend, and I need to swipe some on the boy. :P

Don'tmesswithmewhenIhavethison!!! Grrrrrrr...

Wow! This is very unique! The musk is there aplenty, and patchouli pops in to make an appearance and the bottom line becomes a fragrance for a man or woman who is elegant, perhaps haughty even? This is a striking fragrance with staying power, throw, and it dries down to a cool and commanding presence. I did not really expect to like Vechernyaya as much as I do. This imp was from a good friend, and I am so glad she sent it along. It's a new favorite :P

I could see me wearing this when I want to feel powerful. I'm just amazed at the mighty spell this little imp casts. Another stellar surprise, lab!

I was never sure what poppy smelled like, but I can smell a slightly sharp floral note in the imp and when it's wet. On me, the poppy fades to let the white musk and patchouli out much more prominently, with the patchouli in the background. I agree with others that it's a classic perfume scent and that it's light and subtle with a lot of staying power. I think it's probably too close to classic perfume for me to purchase a bottle, but we'll see.

edited to add: a few hours later, the poppy came back out to play. Interesting!

Edited by amyw

I received this as a freebie and I was expecting this to not suit me at all, but when I opened the imp, it was super FRESH! This definitley seems to be a masculine scent to me, but the musks are very light … like a freshly showered boy. My husband doesn't smell himself up but I may try to sneak this one on him!

Remember a fragrance from the 1980s by Coty, called Patchouli Musk? Vechernyaya smells remarkably similar. It's an interesting blend of musk, light florals and patchouli. The patchouli gives it a bit of a "bite," and the musk adds a sexy vibe. It's not a smooth or mellow scent -- it's kind of high pitched and "perfumey," but in the best sense of the word. Sparkling, sophisticated, and a little bit aggressive. Feminine and vampy. This is a scent to wear with a little black dress and high heels for a night on the town.

This is the ULTIMATE *sexy* feminine BPAL scent.

White musk and patchouli? How can you not *LOVE* this scent? After finally testing my little frimp of this, I'm hooked... I *need* more. It's soft, sexy, feminine and alluring... my fiance is also in love with this scent... He keeps sniffing me and kissing my neck...

I think I have a new top 5 BPAL scent...

Vechernyaya ITB: men's cologne.

On: The same, and if anything a bit sharper.

Dry: a very nice men's cologne, but men's cologne nonetheless. Interestingly, I couldn't detect the patchouli in this, despite being a patchouli-phobe.

A sweet, light musk, with some enchanting flowers. This is a very soft fragrance, and it lies close to the skin. I can see how it could be gender neutral, but at the same time it's a bit perfumey in an oldish-type of way, so my man would most likey "No way" me if I were to purchase this one for him.

In the imp: sharp muskiness and patchouli.

On me, wet: a lot of patchouli at first, which swiftly vanishes along with every trace of the perfume. Sheesh, I can still see where the perfume is (it's still wet and glistening), but I can't smell it at all.

On me, dry: ah, the patchouli comes creeping back now. This is incredibly faint and powdery. Smells nice enough if I thrust my nose into my wrist - faintly like a hippy shop, but I like hippy shops.

Verdict: This is very faint, and the scent isn't anything amazing. One for the swap pile, I guess.

This is the only one of the Zoryas that grabbed me. Indeed, though, it made up for the other two with it's amazing deliciousness. I love anything with poppy, and the musks were divine. Deep, warm, sexy. Yes! Big bottle ordered, check.

For me, 4.5 out of 5.