Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Three white musks with poppy and patchouli.

In Bottle: Ugh. Have to agree with some of the other reviewers on the first impression being that of some department store label, complete with ads and stands slathered with images of half-naked women.

Wet: This is really conflicting. The scent is dark, but it's not heavy. It would smell like the fresh air of the evening, but the musky notes really muscle their way to the front row. Usually I love musks, but in this case it doesn't blend well into the mood Vechernyaya is going for.

Dry: I had such high hopes because Vechernyaya was rec'd based on my personality and I knew I liked all the notes, but you can have too much of a good thing, and in this case it's musk. Sadly this oil sits too far on the masculine for me to wear on its own.

...So what is an enterprising person who refuses to give up on a potentially great scent to do? Well, if you're like me, you can layer Vechernyaya with Neutral from the RPG line. Contradictory to my above analysis, I decided to add another (albeit a more feminine) musk just to see what would happen. If you're having trouble with Vechernaya being too overpowering, Neutral can potentially reign it in. It's still not something I see myself wearing (I prefer dark and heavy, not dark and airy), but it might be a good solution to the issue if it crops up.

In the Imp: A slight amount of patchouli amidst an astringent background.

Wet: Wow, this smells almost exactly like a perfume one of my relatives used to wear. Sadly, it was not a good one. I can't even remember the name, it was so stereotypical - heavy on the alcoholic scent and super "Nordstrom"-like musks that are supposed to be sexy but just seem like they're in every perfume people who have a lot of money but not a lot of taste use.

Dry: Basically the same. If the patchouli came out more I think it would make this a bit earthier and not so "Oh DAHLING that dress is so yesterday," but as it is it's still hovering, scared in the background.

Overall: Total shoe-in for major commercial perfumes. I got into BPAL exactly because I've never enjoyed those, so I'll be passing this on.

I'm so glad I got to try this before the discontinuation takes effect!

I agree with previous reviewers that it is on the perfume-y side -- it does read as poised and upscale to me, although not aggressively so. What I *don't* agree with is the "chilly" some people are talking about, but possibly that's because my skin loves patchouli and thus is warming the scent up. It's coming across almost like a cleaner, lighter, still elegant but wearable-all-the-time version of Romanti.Goth, which is a fantastic idea as far as I'm concerned! :)

The duration and throw aren't great right now, but given that this is the height of summer and *none* of my BPALS are holding on my skin at all, I'll reserve judgment on that front until we hit cooler weather...

This is pretty sharp wet, but it dries down into the loveliest ethereal white musk touched with shadows of opium and patchouli. It's almost like opium and patchouli made "clean", if that makes any sense at all. It is a sophisticated scent with enough innocence from the white musk and mystery from the opium and patchouli notes. I can't quite take my nose away becaue there's something about it drawing me in that I just can't put my finger upon. So glad I got a bottle before it was discontinued because it's really unique and beautiful.

in bottle: Despite the musk and patchouli (both notes I generally hate), there's something intriguing about it. Not much throw.

wet: Musks come to the forefront, light with a sharp edge. Not much throw.

drydown: Gradually becomes stronger. Patchouli comes out more. Eventually a "perfume" note eclipses the others.

verdict: If I were standing next to someone else and they smelled like this, I wouldn't mind it, but on me, it's a big no thank you.

This is a cool, slinky sort of scent. I can see wearing it with black silk or white satin, at night.

In the imp and just applied, it's slightly bitter and a bit commercial-smelling for me, although fortunately it lacks the rubbing-alcohol aspect. The chilly quality of the musks does make it a little more interesting, however. After a while on skin, it sweetens up a bit and becomes more pleasant to my nose, although not quite as cool and enigmatic. There is a bit of night air quality to the scent at all stages that suits the subject.

Overall, not quite my usual style, but interesting. It makes me wish I went to more sophisticated soirees so I'd have some place to properly wear this, and now I know I can wear white musk.

Wet: Clean, fresh patchouli. I have no idea how that makes sense, but it does. I like it.

Dry: Sweet florals, with a hint of patchouli in the background. The best word I have to describe this blend is "haunting". I really enjoy it.

4/5

Received as a frimp many moons ago, just now testing

In the imp: Whoaaaa holy patchouli! With just the slightest hint of something else (poppy?) in the background

Wet: Patchouli with musk peeking through; this is STRONG and peppery, though it doesn't quite veer into headshop as I think the musks temper the patchouli; smells very masculine to me; as it dries a bit more the poppy begins reasserting itself against the patchouli – the throw from arm's length is nice – a spicy, masculine musk; up close the patchouli is still pretty overwhelming

Dry: initial drydown turns the scent a bit cedary, but in a very warm woodsy way, not medicinal/floor cleaner at all, the musks are also warming up a lot (I'm a little afraid this is going to turn super-salty on me, as tends to happen with the Lab's white musks). The throw is still really lovely. Medium drydown – the cedar fades back a bit; I'm amping the musks and maybe the poppy? There's a bright note on top of a really nice warm and spicy skin scent. The patchouli has dialed back a lot and lurks in the background to lend depth. There is a teeeeeny hint of waxiness that I'm hoping will go away.
Full dry: this scent finally settles into a softly spiced, slightly salty "second skin" kind of scent. This may be one to make the husband try as I don't particularly want to smell like this myself but do find it comforting and sexy; it's like the Lab's take on a nice men's cologne or aftershave -- just enough character to elevate it from being totally generic, while not being completely foreign to the "smells like a gentleman" category

Vechernyaya imp

Wet/Bottle - White musk with a touch of patchouli.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - Dirty patchouli, and that's about it. Still not much poppy, and the white musk is subtle enough that it's barely noticeable.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - The same dirty Patchouli from the drydown.

It's just patchouli on me, which isn't bad but also isn't anything special. I'll probably get rid of the imp, just because I already have so many other patchouli blends I like.

In the bottle: Poppy and musk. (My bottle is obviously old, but I'm genuinely not getting any patchouli from it.)

On my skin:

Just like the bottle.

Shortly after it dries, it's almost pure opium poppy. Given time to settle and warm, the musk emerges (musks emerge?), adding a bit of grounding and softness to the scent.

Some time later, and it's still musk and poppy. Whatever patchouli is in this bottle, it's no longer a discernible note on my skin.

White musk can be very "dryer sheet," and I do get that here. But in combination with the poppy and patchouli, there is something unusual about this that adds some interest. It develops a little hint of extra sweetness on skin. Really strong, too, much more than I'm used to from BPAL. I guess I can see the comparison to commercial perfumes, which often have the same "airy" feeling, but I didn't get that sense, personally.