Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Three white musks with poppy and patchouli.

In the bottle the white musk is very strong and there is a sharp scent of fresh patchouli. I get no pomegranate or poppy at all.

Upon application, for about 10 minutes there is a strong scent of cedar or wooden pencils, very similar to Cathedral. However, after the dry down I get a beautiful sweetened white musky, pomegranate-y mixture with the heavier, dirt-like hint of patchouli grounding it. This smells really yummy on me! What a pleasant surprise!

This is lovely. I'm a fan of musk. I like how the lab differentiates their musks by color. This is definitely a pale scent, not quite white, not quite clear. It makes me think of a cloud's silver lining. I found it very peaceful. If this has staying power on my skin it will be worth a bottle just for the calming and uplifting effects.

First impression: Very clean, a little soapy.

Drydown: Very soapy, and not showing any evidence of changing.

Long-term: Eventually the soapiness backs down a bit; I get a little of the poppy (sharp and green, like carnation), and then all that's left is the patchouli.

I've had this problem before with a floral + musk combination -- that particular pairing always seems to go soapy on me. Bottom line: swap pile.

Frimp. The poppy may turn soapy/sour on me but I will give it a try. In the imp it smells like musk and I'm not too keen on it. When on, it smells a bit masculine which I like. I understand what a previous poster said about it smelling clear. It's almost clean and fresh but not quite. Like a man putting on aftershave at the end of the day. I hope it stays like this when it dries. The musk is starting to come out more as this dries, which is a shame. Now that it's dry it has turned slightly soapy which I know will continue. Shame, but I think it will be nice on my OH.

Verdict: Turned slightly soapy on me after morphing lots. Will give to OH.

This started beautifully. In the bottle, strong patchouli (YAY)! On skin, it became a sultry scent, musky and delicious. There was a hint of "soapy" underneath that, but it went away, and went back to being dark and yummy musky.

Unfortunately, after about 2 hours, it does turn soapy again. But those first two hours? PHEW NICE!

This smells like a commercial perfume but also mushroomy and like dirt. I liked it but my boyfriend said it smelled like mom perfume.

I don't normally like poppy or patchouli, but here goes.....

Ooooh! I like white musk! This reminds me of White Phoenix. Wow, almost exactly like White Phoenix! The white musk is nice and calming. I really like this blend...

Mostly musk, with an underlying whiff of opressive floral. (the poppy, I guess...)

As it dries down, I can sense the patchouli under there, struggling.

This feels aggressively masculine, and the musk + poppy is giving it a decidedly pedestrian, cologne-counter kinda vibe. :\

Edited by MamaMoth

In the imp: Wood and musk. With something that reminds me of the perfume section of department stores.

Wet: I think that is the poppy and the patchouli is coming out to play. Good thing I like patchouli, cos I seem to amp it.

Dry: Holy patchouli and perfume counter! Thank heavens the patchouli is doing a little dance, or I would smell like the perfume department at Edgars.

A while later: I think that must be the musk that I am getting and something vaguely floral with a slight woodsy background. Very nice but a little "grown up" for how I like my current scents. Will probably keep the imp for when I am having an urge to feel more mature.

The musk part scared me a little but I guess becuse they're white they're not as musky.

Sweet, soft and subtle with a touch of spicyness this is almost a very clean and green scent.

No patchouli on me YAY!!

Green and lightly musky!! Pretty but not really something I would wear.

Frimp in my will call bag.

So far, my venture into the Excolo portion of the catalogue has been fraught with all the confusion one would expect when dealing with higher beings. Zorya threw me a major curve ball and it looks as though Vechernyaya has decided to follow suit.

In the imp, I get mostly patchouli with a hint of "something else." It might be the poppy or it might be the musk. I'm still learning how to detect musk and my nose seems overly tuned to patchouli notes. Wet, I still get a blast of patchouli but something pickle-like starts to creep in. Perhaps this is the poppy? While extremely odd, I don't actually find this all that unpleasant . . . just pickly. Once the drydown begins, that pickle note fades (thank goodness) and the oil begins to smell like wood shavings and high end perfume. It is, by no means, a bad odor but it is, again, very odd. I'm highly intrigued.

Once dry, the scent takes on a woody aspect -- like freshly cut wood that's been primed for fancy carpentry work -- with the faintest touch of something floral. I find Verchernyaya absolutely fascinating but I do not think that I would wear it often. I like to sometimes wear woody scents and it is difficult to find one as light and airy as this one -- I could see wearing this in spring or summer -- but I don't know if I like the floral.

I'm going to use up the imp for now but will not decide whether this should go on the bottle list until after the imp has been finished.

Imp: Really light, fresh, probably black patchouli. Hint o' musk.

Wet: This almost disappears upon impact. Very, very light patchouli.

Dry: Eh. A light, sort of swirling black patchouli with the faintest hint of white musk. Mostly I'm psyched that the poppy hasn't amped up to gross proportions. Pleasant but not my style.

Throw: Minimal.

Overall: It doesn't really work on my chemistry like it's supposed to and the scent itself just isn't my style.

In the Imp: cologne; the bff smells citrusy flowers

Wet on Skin: I'm getting musk, with just a touch of patchouli underneath; citrusy flowers

While Drying: fresher on the wrists (musks), sweeter in the elbows (patchouli); poppies are pretty subtle to my nose

After a Little While: Starting to pick up the poppies… not bad… probably better with a bit of age to bring out the patchouli more. White musk works on my skin.

Later: I finally figured out what the bff means by "citrusy flowers" - I think it is the way the musks are interacting with the poppy - gives it just a hint of citrus-like brightness; the poppy never gets overpowering; the patchouli is pretty subtle (I could actually handle a bit more - maybe age will bring it out)

Final Thoughts: Probably don't need a bottle, but I'll use the imp from time to time

Vechernyaya earns a 3.5/5 on my skin.

:::VECHERNYAYA:::

This fragrance is amazing, though difficult to describe.

The Poppies and Patchouli are so skillfully crafted together, it makes a scent that is unreal...

In some ways it is similar to Galvanic Goggles...

Vechernyaya is rounded out and warmed by the musks, giving it a little lift...

A handsome, straight-laced if somewhat tightly wound school-master would wear this with relish while pacing back and forth as he surveys the pupils hunched over a particularly nerve-wracking exam.

On the skin, Vechernyaya takes on oomph and panache... The schoolmaster is gloating in a craftily cultivated patois and polishing his monacle...

This is a darkness ablaze...

A biting of the tongue...

A scrutiny.

Spectrally, Vechernyaya would compliment a charcoal suit and an ebony walking stick...

Terrific fragrance for Him.

5 out of 5!

First time I tried this, I had some weird olfactory version of a blind spot with it. I could smell literally nothing from it. A friend could (so it wasn't the imp), so I gave it to her. A few months later it was frimped in a lab order.

Retrying, and the blind spot has gone and I am so pleased it has, because this is wonderful. Slightly - and surprisingly as the notes made me expect something heavy - ethereal with musks that remind me of Evening Cicadas, this is the scent for a woman who is powerful and intelligent but doesn't need to push it in your face, and a little reserved and distant. This will be a great general office wear scent!

I'll definitely finish up the imp, and would consider a bottle.

Vechernyaya

Golly...this is fancy smelling! I definitely smell each listed note. Vechernyaya confirmed my love for patchouli and musk. The poppy is very sharp and pronounced wet on my skin, and softens as it dries. I love every stage of this. It has a decent throw, though not too strong. It lasted quite a while on me. I can see myself craving this every once in a while when I want to feel fierce and fabulous.

3.9 out of 5

ETA: This was frimped to me from The Lab! Edited by ModderRhu

Okay, I think the musk is a bit heavy in this one. I get a hint of the patchouli, but I don't seem to smell the poppy at all.

This may be more of a masculine scent, but it isn't one that I would be crazy about on a guy either. It would just fit him more than it does me.

I really like white musk so I was looking forward to trying this blend. Unfortunately the patchouli ruins this blend. I get a whiff of the scent one time and think, 'This is really beautiful' and then the next minute 'Phew, nasty BO.'

Damn you, patchouli.

In the imp, I'm getting white musk and poppy - but on my skin, the patchouli runs over the delicate other parts of the blend. Argh.

Sniffed: White musk.

On skin: The Zorya blends are all similar in feel: airy, feathery, pale, gentle and graceful in simplicity. Vechernyaya is primarily white musks, which give it a feathery, fuzzy softness. The very light patchouli grounds the scent with an earthy flavour, and there's a touch of spiciness presumably from poppy. Overall, a simple, gentle scent that does evoke the Evening Star. Colour impression is white feathers touched with watery yellow-green.

Verdict: A lovely blend befitting of a star. While I like the concept, such a gentle blend really doesn't stand out to me. Unlikely to wear this much, since there are more interesting smells out there.

Vechernyaya is a clean, very slightly sweet, white musk with a touch of something smoky (probably the patchouli) and a touch of something that smells like black pepper (the poppy?) So , anyway, it smells good. Very good. It's what I wish more Black Phoenix oils were like: different but not peculiar, soft but lasting, not perfumey but sort of herbal/earthy/dusty. Interesting. I could definitely advise this as an "enabling" scent for beginners. It should be great for everyone EXCEPT those who prefer super-sweet or heavily floral scents. 4 1/2 stars out of 5. It could work for men or women.

Me likey this!

I have always liked white musk in perfumes but I don't really have a lot of smellies with that note. I think this is a perfect mix of all the notes. It smells a wee bit masculine on me but I love it regardless! the patchouli gives it this little bite note at the end. I think I may need to snag a bottle!

Wet: In imp and 1st applied, this smelled like prepubescent cologne of the most-obnoxious-bad-teenage-totally-wrong-half-naked-ads-on-mall-store-exterior kind. I was super disappointed because the mix sounded so great on digital paper.

Drydown: different story. It's sweet narcotic poppy and dark patchouli with lingering white musk. I like this now.. but my nose is shell-shocked. The wet phase was so strong and overpowering I'm having trouble detecting & appreciating the dry phase.

Vechernyaya

On: The patchouli is really strong and earthy on this, with lots of poppy.

2.5 hours in: This smells amazing on me. Slightly sweet, but mostly powdery and floral, with an interesting feeling of being both light and dark.

8 hours in: This is so pretty. Still powdery and sweet and floral. I love it.

Overall: Yeah, an imp is not going to be enough of this for me. I can't imagine why I swapped away my bottle.